DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default AA let down, dammit!!!!

Ok, here's the scene. Last night's gig = one of the best ever. Venue = sold out. We've just invested in a very high end PA for medium sized gigs with 4K of subs. Sound check = sensational drum sound. Band played out of their boots. Hundreds of people (70% chicks) bouncing, chanting, arms in the air. A wow gig.

I had the Zoom Q3 set up to record. Got home at 3:00 AM, super keen to see what we captured, especially to review the drum sound. Plugged it in, aarrgghhhh! The batteries failed after about 1 minute. Not one drum beat was captured. So, if you have one of these little recorders, go the extra mile to run a bloody mains connection. = gutted!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd-JXhgX8UA

Last edited by keep it simple; 12-11-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: AA let down, dammit!!!!

Bummer Andy. Murphy strikes again! It's like losing the film on the way home after an amazing holiday or having the video camera jam up just as the baby takes its first steps.

I guess we've all done it at some stage - where an in-form performance disappears into the ether while the steaming tripe moments are caught in perfect detail for perpetuity.

Still, in the old days there were no Zooms and hardly anything was captured.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

It's occasions like this that memory was invented for.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

And now watch as I create a recording device that needs no electricity!

A rudimentary clockwork wax cutting lathe...
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
And now watch as I create a recording device that needs no electricity!

A rudimentary clockwork wax cutting lathe...
Yes please Duncan! Can I have it by next weekend please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post

Still, in the old days there were no Zooms and hardly anything was captured.
Oh yes Pol. Remember the effort that went into recording gigs in the late 70's, & the results were always truly appalling :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Too true Ben. Reality check Andy. Great gig, stop wingeing :)

Just uploading the clip that does exist. It features 3 seconds of china cymbal mallet work (whoohoo), but it does give you a flavour of our gig vibe & us including the audience in the fun.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Or just put in a fresh set of AA's before each gig ;-)

Sorry to hear about that Andy that truly sucks, sounds like it was a GOOD gig though
Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Or just put in a fresh set of AA's before each gig ;-)

Sorry to hear about that Andy that truly sucks, sounds like it was a GOOD gig though
That's the point. They were fresh AA's for each set! Damn things were clearly rubbish quality/faulty. & yeah, storming gig. Video clip up as soon as YT get's it's act together :)
Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, here's the clip. Gives you some idea of our gig vibe with the audience. Improv Christmas guitar thingy + intro to the opening number, then battery fail. Great sound for a Zoom recording, except the drums ------------

Old 12-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Murphy strikes again!
Am I correct in assuming that Murphy is the same as Sod? As in Sod's Law? :P

And Andy that really does suck. I have a standard digicamera just for photos, but I've lost the rechargeable pack thing that came with it, and the lead.

Now every pair of AAs I use either use all of the charge turning the camera on and telling me it's out of charge, or last two or three photos.

Unless I pay about a fiver for Fujifilms or the top-end Duracells.

Stupid technology.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Ok, here's the clip. Gives you some idea of our gig vibe with the audience. Improv Christmas guitar thingy + intro to the opening number, then battery fail. Great sound for a Zoom recording, except the drums ------------

For crying out loud, that guitar intro was something! ....then nothing. ...man, what a frustration, damn these いいい AA batteries..... You must be really sad about this, especially after your sickness scenario last week and your reservation as having to play "simplified" patterns, the sound is great, the audience is great, the ambiance is great, a wow gig as you said.... and the chances of capturing all these wonderfull moments failed just because a set of bad batteries... How decieving.... :(

On the other hand, it is one of these gig that you'll remember for a long time, good vibes and good feelings seems to stay "locked" in our memory cells.

AA batteries asides, I'm glad your gig went well and that you enjoyed yourself :-))
Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I need to send you some of our Energizer Industrial from the Hospital. We don't like them to fail either.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
For crying out loud, that guitar intro was something! ....then nothing. ...man, what a frustration, damn these いいい AA batteries..... You must be really sad about this, especially after your sickness scenario last week and your reservation as having to play "simplified" patterns, the sound is great, the audience is great, the ambiance is great, a wow gig as you said.... and the chances of capturing all these wonderfull moments failed just because a set of bad batteries... How decieving.... :(

On the other hand, it is one of these gig that you'll remember for a long time, good vibes and good feelings seems to stay "locked" in our memory cells.

AA batteries asides, I'm glad your gig went well and that you enjoyed yourself :-))
Cheers mate, yes, bummer, but hey, it was a great gig. I got past my weakness with the buzz of the night. Paying for it today though :) So proud of the band too. We got loads of compliments from people who haven't seen us before. One I liked the best was from a random stunning looking chick who remarked that the bass drum sound (she referred to it as the bottom drum) was "pantie wetting stuff" Whoohoo. I'm pretty sure she wasn't after a stageside knee trembler, as she was drop dead gorgeous & I'm certainly not :(

Venue owner was very happy too. His best Saturday takings this year, & we dried out the bar on 4 out of 5 beers. Oh, an extra $300 as a tip too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuka View Post
Am I correct in assuming that Murphy is the same as Sod? As in Sod's Law? :P

And Andy that really does suck. I have a standard digicamera just for photos, but I've lost the rechargeable pack thing that came with it, and the lead.

Now every pair of AAs I use either use all of the charge turning the camera on and telling me it's out of charge, or last two or three photos.

Unless I pay about a fiver for Fujifilms or the top-end Duracells.

Stupid technology.
Yes mate, same law, & I get the same crap with batteries. I hate batteries!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I need to send you some of our Energizer Industrial from the Hospital. We don't like them to fail either.
Send 'em over Grunt :) :)
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
One I liked the best was from a random stunning looking chick who remarked that the bass drum sound (she referred to it as the bottom drum) was "pantie wetting stuff" Whoohoo
It is not just amazing the effect of a bass drum pulse can have on some people, especially a drop dead gorgeous chick.... :-))
Old 12-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Well, it's not like we don't believe you. I'm surprised you don't have the AC adapter for that thing - I mean, you have all that other stuff up on stage, eh?

;)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, it's not like we don't believe you. I'm surprised you don't have the AC adapter for that thing - I mean, you have all that other stuff up on stage, eh?

;)
I do have the adaptor Bo, but the camera was placed on the balcony section to get a good view, & there's no mains up there. Suppose I could have run 100ft of cable up there, but didn't think there was the need. That Q3 has recorded with batteries many times before, & without issues.

Quote:
It is not just amazing the effect of a bass drum pulse can have on some people, especially a drop dead gorgeous chick.... :-))
That's a whole different thread, but yes, & yes!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
One I liked the best was from a random stunning looking chick who remarked that the bass drum sound (she referred to it as the bottom drum) was "pantie wetting stuff" Whoohoo.
Now that is something to aspire to - a "pantie wetting bottom drum sound!"

I like it!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Now that is something to aspire to - a "pantie wetting bottom drum sound!"

I like it!
Truly aspirational, & it's all because of a set of these = serious air!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 PM
SickRick

Hey Andy,

glad to hear that gig went well, I assume you've recovered then. So did you take the Gurus to the gig or the Spaun kit?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Truly aspirational, & it's all because of a set of these = serious air!!!
Now you're talking!!! ....Was the girl wearing a skirt? :-))
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Hey Andy,

glad to hear that gig went well, I assume you've recovered then. So did you take the Gurus to the gig or the Spaun kit?
Thanks Lutz. Yes, gig was superb, but it was physically difficult for me. I had to take a real rest for a couple of numbers half way through the second set, then power up a bit for the last few numbers. Still pretty weak, & still on way too many drugs, so no beer :(

I always gig with the Spaun (but with Guru ebony snare), & will do until it's replaced by our new series drums due out next year. I'll be doing the road tests with the first kit :) The Guru prototype stays at home, it's happy there.

Hey Lutz, guess what's arriving at your house tomorrow!!!!!

Quote:
Now you're talking!!! ....Was the girl wearing a skirt? :-))
Hahaha, yes she was, well, more of a belt really :) :) :) She was standing about 10 rows back, so kept out of the breeze = shame. And ain't that the problem. Us drummers never get to see the chicks past the first couple of rows, well, not the good bits anyhow ;)
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Oh... AA batteries let down.

I thought Andy was going to say he used a Sabian AA cymbal and it let him down, or perhaps someone in the band fell off the wagon. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Ben FTW
Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Oh... AA batteries let down.

I thought Andy was going to say he used a Sabian AA cymbal and it let him down, or perhaps someone in the band fell off the wagon. haha
Yes to both of those :) I tried some Sabian AA's & they were a let down (actually, a very good cymbal series, but too one dimensional for my needs right now), so my son uses them. & our keys player did indeed fall off the wagon (ok, back of the band van)!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh yes Pol. Remember the effort that went into recording gigs in the late 70's, & the results were always truly appalling :)
The only recordings we had of gigs were from DI to the desk. We didn't have the gear ourselves.

I'd still rather power through the mains, even if it means a very long entension cord to the balcony or a less optimal position (though your short clip looked promising from the balcony in terms of visuals and balance). Batteries are such a risk. You took the risk and this time it didn't work out.

On the bright side, you're not entirely excluded - I'm sure a heard a bit of cymbal wash in there :)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

Want t o get one for myself so I am pissed that I didn't get to see it too.

On a lighter note, I thought you meant alcoholics anonymous not double a batteries! Hope the AAs don't drive you to end up in AA.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I'd still rather power through the mains, even if it means a very long entension cord to the balcony or a less optimal position (though your short clip looked promising from the balcony in terms of visuals and balance). Batteries are such a risk. You took the risk and this time it didn't work out.

On the bright side, you're not entirely excluded - I'm sure a heard a bit of cymbal wash in there :)
Agreed on the mains Pol. Kicking myself, but it was a fairly big setup (although in a modest stage space) even though we had crew that evening, so I was short of time (+ still quite unwell).

& yes, I got a couple of cymbal washes in there. AWESOME TECHNIQUE DUDE!! (is that a representative title for the "your playing" section ;) ;) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Want t o get one for myself so I am pissed that I didn't get to see it too.
Don't be put off getting one just because this idiot had a momentary brain fart. Mine's the lower definition one. I'm sure you'll be getting the HD version, & the visuals are seriously better (although still nowhere near those of a quality video camera).
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
& yes, I got a couple of cymbal washes in there. AWESOME TECHNIQUE DUDE!! (is that a representative title for the "your playing" section ;) ;) )
Remember, you're talking to someone who posted a song where most of what I played were cymbal washes :)

WATCH THIS!!! AMAZING CHOPS!!!!!!

:)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

I've had the same exact thing happen several times. At least one other time I got part way into a set and realized I failed to hit the record button, and couldn't do anything about it. Ugh.

I've also had batteries in my little reading light go out mid-set, which really sucks when you are in a very dimly lit venue.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
I've also had batteries in my little reading light go out mid-set, which really sucks when you are in a very dimly lit venue.
You read at gigs = impressive!

Quote:
Remember, you're talking to someone who posted a song where most of what I played were cymbal washes :)
:)
Yes Pol, my performance was pathetic in that context :)
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Noooo, they were very nice, appropriate washes :)
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Andy, sorry to hear of the battery let down, however, upon watching the few available minutes of the you tube clip I noticed some other performances by your band, which were excellent, I though the Cutting Crew cover was great, a little off topic, but may I ask what hats were you using in that song, they sounded awesome.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNY View Post
Andy, sorry to hear of the battery let down, however, upon watching the few available minutes of the you tube clip I noticed some other performances by your band, which were excellent, I though the Cutting Crew cover was great, a little off topic, but may I ask what hats were you using in that song, they sounded awesome.
Why thank you sir! Those hats are 14" Amedia Tigris series. No mic's either. For complexed & warm Turks, they also cut through more than you'd think, & our band sound is fairly big & full.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

They sounded fantastic, as did you. Not a brand I am familiar with, but I am still a newbie in this world, and am enjoying learning more about the 'niche' manufactures, including yourself. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 PM

Looking at the clip I wonder if the Zoom takes more juice to film in low light conditions? I wouldn't be surprised if that is why it drained two new batteries so quickly.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You read at gigs = impressive!

only because I can't remember the lines of the songs I'm singing!