DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Tuning G2 heads question

Halllllo errrbody!!!!

I got some ebans g2 heads a while back and I like em. I suck at tuning drums so i dont believe they are to their full potential, but they are a step up.

My question regarding my heads, and heads in general is that before i purchased the g2's, i had remo ambassadors on my kit (mapex mars kit). These heads were beat to shit, for I got this set at a pawn shop. Anywho, the bottom heads (whats the name again, vocab please?!) I beliebe were just the stock mapex heads. Because my top heads were "remo ambassadors" I thought, shit they habe to be better than the bottom stock mapex heads. So basically, I put my ambassador heads on the bottom of the toms and put my g2's on the top.

My question is this, will i get a better sound out of my toms, and improve the overall functioning of my g2's if I switch the bottom heads back to the stock mapex heads or is it better if i keep the "better than stock ambassadors on the bottom"

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Tuning G2 heads question

If the Ambassador's have a bunch of dents in them (beat to sh**) you'll get a better sound by putting the stock Mapex resonant heads back on. Dents keep the head from resonating, robbing you of potential tone.

Good luck!

-Kyle
Old 11-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Doctor Dirt

You went heavier on the bottoms and the tops. The stock application were lighterweight heads, they might sound better with the set up now I don't know because I don't know the model od Mapex you have.
Did you put the "beat" heads on the bottom? If their beat up take them off and put back the stock ones their probably made by remo anywho!!! The bottom heads are important in producing the sound also. Find a drum t4eacher who could teach you how to tune a drum it will save you alot of time and drum heads too. Doc
Old 11-05-2011, 12:23 AM

thanks guys! the bottom heads (old heads that were on top which are remo ambassadors) are beat to shit! and dr. what do you mean by "beat heads" Im thinking of switching back, i guess its a process.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
You went heavier on the bottoms and the tops. The stock application were lighterweight heads, they might sound better with the set up now I don't know because I don't know the model od Mapex you have.
Did you put the "beat" heads on the bottom? If their beat up take them off and put back the stock ones their probably made by remo anywho!!! The bottom heads are important in producing the sound also. Find a drum t4eacher who could teach you how to tune a drum it will save you alot of time and drum heads too. Doc
and hahaha, i get what you mean now by "beat" heads as in beat up. I thought you meant like beat as in heads that hold a beat better. haha, n00bie i am. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Doctor Dirt

Put the old bottom (reso) heads back on their probably remo anyways. The drum company buy from the major drum head companies and have their company logos stamped on the heads. I'll guess you should have lightweight single plies on the bottom and a medium one ply on top, as I said. The G2 might be to heavy for those toms but they might work well too, it depends on your likes an dislikes. The G2 will probably take some highs and mid-highs away but in turn give the drums more bass and a warmer sound. The tighter you use the tension the higher the pitch, if you loosen the head the more deeper the tone should get. A drum teacher or music teacher can get you started on drum tuning.
Doc