DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 AM

Default And so it begins..... (Sorry, another drum build)

Okay, yesterday I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the shells for my own drum build. After months of researching and soul-searching, DIY fits me. Background: 35 yr. old husband/father of 2, playing for 23 yrs. (on and more off lately), getting back into playing now that the boys are venturing out. Had the same Pearl Export 5 pc. for those 23 yrs.! They just never quite cut the mustard and I deserve it dang-it! Time to upgrade and have a great time doing it.

The NEW kit: Shells are Keller Vintage Mahogany (great all around sound)
Sizes: Toms 10" x 8" and 12" x 8", Floors 14" x 14" and 16" x 16", Kick 24" x 14"
Keeping my Pearl snare for now, I've got that to my liking right now
And I have a Pearl 10" Firecracker (for those special moments)
Most of my hardware will come from AMdrumparts and bestdrumdeals
Finish is being debated right now in my head; natural/satin, natural/high gloss,
or deep red/satin, deep red/ high gloss....

More details and better pictures to come.... Cameron
Top picture natural/satin, bottom picture red/satin finish (some shells at a buddies drum shop)
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: And so it begins..... (Sorry, another drum build)

Those shells are so nice, you should only use oil. :)
Nice kit, great sizes. I've also thought of building a kit of Keller's mahogany shells.
Lokking forward to see the result!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Nice project!

Those shells look like a combination of mahogany & sepele, the more figured grain (typically the outer ply) being sepele. Sepele is from a close relation family to mahogany, & is often referred to as mahogany. It's chosen mainly because it's grain is typically a bit more interesting. Sonic qualities are almost identical to mahogany.

Of course, I could be wrong, but either way, it makes no quality difference to the shells whatsoever. Just a nerdy bit of detail interest. We make steambent solid shells from both mahogany & sepele, & they're both fantastic shell woods!

Good luck with the build, & be sure to post finished pictures.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Might be just the photos but that finish currently looks like Fablon to me. So I would stain them red, like a Gibson SG.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Might be just the photos but that finish currently looks like Fablon to me. So I would stain them red, like a Gibson SG.
Those pix's are of some shells at my friends shop (Risen Drums). I haven't received mine yet.
I am a sucker for a deep, rich red (I refinished my kitchen cabinets in a similar color). I will post a lot better pictures once they arrive......
Old 11-05-2011, 02:11 AM
DSCRAPRE

They already look better than my drums...

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the results.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Doctor Dirt

Take a look at Pearls #141 finish they used on their african mahogany drums, its very nice and shows really well. I have the same shell from keller cut for a 5x14 snare but the rerings are to large if you decide on a 5 or 6 deep snare that rering size is to big. It chokes the drum abit when the rerings are 1 1/4 so that theres 2 1/2 inches of rering and 3 inches of snare wall. They needed to shave the rering from the bearing edge or simply make it less than an inch in depth but they don't take kindly to suggestions hahahaha!!!
I trimmed it down with the help of a wood worker friend and the drum is just starting to break in now !(1 yr old)
Those shells should sound great and when you get them together you won't believe the difference compared to the trusty Pearls. Thin shells in any quality wood are fantastic and the open powerfull sound is a joy to hear. I just bought 5ply maple drums that are 10+ years old and the open sound is great. They decay at a nice rate and I wouldn't put a piece of goop or muffling of any kind on them. You will be a happy man!!! Check out that #141 it might work well on your mahogany shells, congrates!!! Doc
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY Doorman. It's a lot of fun! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Is this the color you are going with? What lugs, hoops, Spurs, etc?

I finally broke down this year and built my own kit as well. I have a full career as a car painter so I did my own finish too. Only I did something never done in the car world, Purple woodgrain to solid black fade.
There are plenty of pictures in my profile album if you're interested in having a look.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Are you doing your own drilling or did you have AMDrumparts do the drilling for you. When I built my snare if you bought shells and hardware from them they would do drilling and bearing edges for free. Can't wait to see the finished project. Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

Keep us posted! Nice sizes too.

GJS
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Are you doing your own drilling or did you have AMDrumparts do the drilling for you. When I built my snare if you bought shells and hardware from them they would do drilling and bearing edges for free. Can't wait to see the finished project. Good luck and have fun.
I'm drilling and finishing myself, bearing edges will be handled at my friends drum shop. I just want to get my hands dirty and save a buck while I'm at it!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY Doorman. It's a lot of fun! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Is this the color you are going with? What lugs, hoops, Spurs, etc?

I finally broke down this year and built my own kit as well. I have a full career as a car painter so I did my own finish too. Only I did something never done in the car world, Purple woodgrain to solid black fade.
There are plenty of pictures in my profile album if you're interested in having a look.
I'm going with the Yamaha small boat tail style lugs, 2.3 mm hoops, standard spurs, all chrome finish, Gauger Percussion iso mounts. I would love your opinion on a good clear finish, I don't have a sprayer or booth ;) I'm just going to clear those beautiful mahogany shells. I'm thinking a high gloss, I'm seeing to many in satin. Plus, just think of a beautiful vintage Gibson guitar (i know, a guitar!), I DO LOVE THAT FADE on your set, I don't have those skills! Cameron (Doorman)
Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman View Post
I'm going with the Yamaha small boat tail style lugs, 2.3 mm hoops, standard spurs, all chrome finish, Gauger Percussion iso mounts. I would love your opinion on a good clear finish, I don't have a sprayer or booth ;) I'm just going to clear those beautiful mahogany shells. I'm thinking a high gloss, I'm seeing to many in satin. Plus, just think of a beautiful vintage Gibson guitar (i know, a guitar!), I DO LOVE THAT FADE on your set, I don't have those skills! Cameron (Doorman)
Sounds cool Cameron. Just clear over mahogany would be really beautiful and rich looking.

I really can't advise on any other clear. The only reason I use Automotive urethane is because it's catalyzed(hardened chemically) and I know how durable it really is. I've painted several guitars for other musicians around and I always use this clear. This is the 1st time I painted a drumshell.
I'm really not sure how well a Home Depot style furniture urethane would work. But I would imagine if you had enough buildup and got it to dry, you could sand and buff it slick. Just guessing there so don't take that as a definite.

You may be able to get some quotes from some hungry body shops to clear them for you. One piece of advice you definitely need to relay to them is this: During the initial coats of clear you MUST barely mist the first several coats on. Once you have coverage you can start laying "wet" coats on.
The reason this is important is wood has air trapped in it. If you try to apply wet coats right away the air tries to escape and creates very tiny bubbles in the clear which is highly UNdesireable. In fact, after the several mist coats you may encounter these bubbles when the 1st wet coat is applied. This is ok AS LONG AS you smear the bubbles with your fingers right away to pop them and try to smear the clear into the pore in the wood that's causing the bubbles.
The bad thing about this is the clear isn't level where you smeared it, BUT you can apply enough clear to sand and buff it out with ease.

If you get quotes from a shop be very up front about what you're after and ask for examples of how slick they can get a final coat of clear after it's sanded and buffed. Express up front how much money you have invested in these shells and for them to screw them up is completely unacceptable.

If I can help in any way just ask.
Good luck and I can't wait to see that slick mahogany.

Gabriel "stuperprohero"
Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM

Great shells, those Vintage Mahogany's! Here's a pic of mine from a session I did last Sunday. Built them myself with help on the bearing edges and some drilling.
Nitro-cellulose clear finish.
14x22, 8x12, 14x14 (not shown), and 16x16
Good luck with the build...You do deserve them after over 20yrs with the Exports!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 03:08 AM

Thanks Ron, I need close-ups!!! Looks good from here, and thanks for the finish option.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 AM

The shells have finally arrived (order mix-up) and they are BEAUTIFUL!!! I also received the lugs and 1/2" air vent grommets. Got that hardware from drumfactorydirect.com, very good and timely online experience! I also included a pix of a layout table I made using a cake cutting diagram, 1/2 mdf, and a lazy susan bracket. Now the finish work will begin. Very excited to get started.... Cameron
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 AM

After a day of bliss, I get a phone call from my caring stepdad. I sent a picture of my new pride and joy shells. He reluctantly pointed out the big graining difference, 10" & 14" are different than the 12", 16" and 24"! I double checked my phone picture (at work), and crap he was right... Called my drum building friend who ordered the shells and now more waiting.... Look at the picture posted previously and you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman View Post
After a day of bliss, I get a phone call from my caring stepdad. I sent a picture of my new pride and joy shells. He reluctantly pointed out the big graining difference, 10" & 14" are different than the 12", 16" and 24"! I double checked my phone picture (at work), and crap he was right... Called my drum building friend who ordered the shells and now more waiting.... Look at the picture posted previously and you'll see what I mean.
That's why I picked up on the sepele thing in my earlier post. Good luck with the build.