DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Is This a Craig's Scam?

I am selling a drumkit on Craigslist and I received an email asking if the kit was still available and if the price was negociable.
I responded that the kit was still for sale and the price was firm
Below is a copy of the reply that I got back today.
I said No to the sender (buyer).

"Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it and just so you know; I'm okay with the condition/price and I'm ready for the purchase plus I'm willing to add an extra $20 so as to have it reserved in my favour. My form of payment will be by Check and it will be send via UPS 1-2days delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up besides the movers/pick up money will be included with your payment so as to avoid delay and to enable movers to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after the check is been cashed as I have other properties to be moved alongside yours. I would have really loved to come for the inspection but due to my work frame it just won't fit in my schedule but more pictures will be deeply appreciated. Kindly get back to me with your full name and address including your phone number to discuss further and i can make out the payment to you ASAP. Many thanks."

If this is a scam how does it work?
Notice that he misspelled the word Favor and he made a few other punctuation mistakes.
I am 99.9% sure that it is a scam. I just can't figure out how it works.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 10-31-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Is This a Craig's Scam?

A few of the "scam" tip-offs...

Offering to pay extra after he wanted to negotiate.
Sending "movers" to pick up
Using UPS instead of the US Postal Service to send you a check. ( sending a fraudulent check thru the US mail is a felony)

The scam is the check. If you cash it, it will be a few days before the bank figures out it is no good. by then the "movers" have picked up your item (while scoping out your home)the movers rate will be included in the check he sends you...so you pay them... and the funds you received by cashing the check will be deducted from your account by the bank.

Sad Bob has no drum kit...and no money....makes Bob very angry. The End.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

It's always a bad sign when somebody has all of the details of their weird-ass transaction worked out in advance. Yes, it's a scam. I don't know how it works either- certainly the check would not be good. I believe it's mentioned in CL's help section- they might explain how it works. It's pretty clear he's not from the US- he probably thought he was being clever for offering to pay by "check" rather than "cheque".
Old 10-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

All of the things that you guys have mentioned were what bothered me.
The drumkit is only $600. Anyone can bring that much cash with no problem.
He also asked too many questions regarding my phone and address etc.

I never bring a Craigs buyer to my home. I meet them at my workplace or in a public place with a friend present with me.
I only accept cash as payment.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Every item I have ever listed on CL I have received an email like this. Something insane about a "moving company' and paying more than the asking price, etc., etc.

I wish I had the time to track these scammers down and go all Keith Moon their head.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

I imagine that the next step would be that he would tell me that his "Movers" can only come in a time period that won't allow the check to clear and I will have to trust him.
That is the only way that I can figure that the scam can work.
He has to get the goods before you realize that the check is bad.
Perhaps he would ask for my bank account number to direct deposit the cash into.

How about the part that says that "The movers pick up money will be included in my payment"
What does that mean?

Last edited by bobdadruma; 10-31-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 PM

I agree it sounds pretty fishy, but I don't get why spelling things incorrectly (or the correct way should I say ;) or using bad punctuation would mean it's a scam, after all Craigslist is full of people selling 'symbols' as we know all to well right?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlapjack View Post
I agree it sounds pretty fishy, but I don't get why spelling things incorrectly (or the correct way should I say ;) or using bad punctuation would mean it's a scam, after all Craigslist is full of people selling 'symbols' as we know all to well right?
Because the email has the name of a business called -------- . He gives the impression that he is a business that buys things and movers pick them up.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

I also always request their phone number. If that's not include in their response I just ignore it. If they can't give that information out I am suspicious.

Atomic - yeah, right I agree. Cymbol, symbol, cymble... I can't believe how many ways cymbal can be misspelled.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
"Uncle Larry"

IDK, it seems legit to me Bob, I'd say go for it. Oh and by the way, I have a set of unopened, still in the box, Gretsch Round Badges, in Silver Sparkle, from the 50's. I need cash so I'm letting them go for $500.00...interested?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
I also always request their phone number. If that's not include in their response I just ignore it. If they can't give that information out I am suspicious.

Atomic - yeah, right I agree. Cymbol, symbol, cymble... I can't believe how many ways cymbal can be misspelled.
That's correct. Most people that contact me on CL leave me a number to call them back. They don't ask me for info about myself.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I How about the part that says that "The movers pick up money will be included in my payment"
What does that mean?
I think is stating that the cost involved to pick up the drums by the "movers company" is included in the payment. Which does not makes sense since is offering you $620 as a whole payment. So the "movers company" is taking delivery of the drums totally free of charge?

It smells really bad...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
IDK, it seems legit to me Bob, I'd say go for it. Oh and by the way, I have a set of unopened, still in the box, Gretsch Round Badges, in Silver Sparkle, from the 50's. I need cash so I'm letting them go for $500.00...interested?
I titled this thread with the question "Is This A CL Scam" as a joke Larry.
The thread is ment to teach a lesson to younger people who put ads on CL who may not be savvy to scams.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:55 PM
sticks4drums

I have had the same thing. It is a scam. Just ignore it.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:02 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I wonder if anyone actually falls for these types of email scams.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlapjack View Post
Its actually because the email is comming from Nigeria,hence the spelling mistakes,and grammatical errors.

Steve B
Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
People fall for it all the time.Greed overides logic more than you know.

Steve B
Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have answered CL ads that were posted by kids that were selling their drums without their parents knowing about it.
The kid figured that he could trade up on his own without his parents help.
That is the kind of thing that the scammer is counting on.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

PLEASEEE, go through with this, but replace the drums with big signs that say F you in the boxes! Haha
Oh and the shipping price being " included" is to remove any and all financial risk from the scammers and put all expenses onto the faulty check
Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhopper316 View Post
PLEASEEE, go through with this, but replace the drums with big signs that say F you in the boxes! Haha
Oh and the shipping price being " included" is to remove any and all financial risk from the scammers and put all expenses onto the faulty check
The scammer won't contact me again because I told him that I will not take a check and I would only show the drums at my work with other people around to witness.
If I had time I would have contacted the police and set up the bogus deal so that they could arrest.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkevn View Post
A few of the "scam" tip-offs...

Offering to pay extra after he wanted to negotiate.
Sending "movers" to pick up
Using UPS instead of the US Postal Service to send you a check. ( sending a fraudulent check thru the US mail is a felony)

The scam is the check. If you cash it, it will be a few days before the bank figures out it is no good. by then the "movers" have picked up your item (while scoping out your home)the movers rate will be included in the check he sends you...so you pay them... and the funds you received by cashing the check will be deducted from your account by the bank.

Sad Bob has no drum kit...and no money....makes Bob very angry. The End.
+1, BAD NEWS ALL AROUND....come by look at it, pay the cash haul it away. Write this guy off Bob
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 PM

Scam. 100% positive, went through this same scenario once.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Don't worry Grunt I never had intention of taking a check from this person.
I posted this thread to show others what kind of scam artists were lurking out there.
I was also curious as to how the scheme worked.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
The thread is ment to teach a lesson to younger people who put ads on CL who may not be savvy to scams.
Honestly I think older people fall victims to these type of scams more than young people.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Doctor Dirt

No good, move on! Doc
Old 11-01-2011, 12:03 AM

I had a guy try to pull one of those on me when I sold a motorcycle last summer. He texted me a bunch of times going round and round trying to get me into his trap. "How about if we do this, or how about if we do it this way".

After a few rounds of this, I finally texted him. "Listen Pal, The ONLY way this works is you meet me at the location of my choosing, you hand me 2000 dollars cash, I hand you keys and title, you ride away. That's it."
I never heard back.

Seems like these scammers would have better luck if they weren't so forceful right out the box. "I want to buy your stuff and here's how we're going to do it."

If I'm selling something, I am going to be in charge of the transaction. As soon as the buyer tries to take command of the transaction in any manner, I'm out.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think that the scammer ever sends anyone to pick up the merchandise.
It is too risky and complicated for him to send someone to pick up the goods.

I think that the goal right from the start is to simply obtain cash by tricking the victim into sending it to the scammer or by getting a bank account number or something like that.
Had I let the scam progress I would have found out what the plan was in a short while.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Mastelotto - Fan View Post
Scam. 100% positive, went through this same scenario once.
So fill us in on how the scam works. So far we're all assuming the cheque (or check) won't clear and that he's somehow gonna try to pick up the drums before it's due date. What if it does clear and the funds arrive safely?

I'm not saying this is not a scam, but if it is and you've been grifted by it before, then how does it work? How can you be scammed by this if you don't let the goods go before the cash is in the bank?

FWIW, "favour" is perfectly acceptable spelling for pretty much every English speaking country in the world outside of the USA....as is cheque, colour and harmonise (with an "s" instead of a zed.......sorry, zee). ;-)
Old 11-01-2011, 02:38 AM

I think they way he planned was to offer you a couple hundred extra to pay the movers when they arrive.So he would send you a check for 820 dollars,most likely postdated to the set date to pick it up.Youre holding the check,and then they show up a day early.You hand over 200 bucks out of your own pocket,they take the drums,and the check never clears....OR...you dont let the movers take it,but they insist they need to be payed anyway.You think of it and know you have the 820 dollar check,you hand them them 200 dollars and actually apologize for not letting them take the drums.They understand and hit the road,up 200 bucks.

I didnt like that they wanted all your personal information.That smells like a burglary.Most of us have alot of cool instruments laying about.Stuff that sells fast too.

Just ebay it.Set an acceptable reserve,and just keep running it until someone comes across it.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
FWIW, "favour" is perfectly acceptable spelling for pretty much every English speaking country in the world outside of the USA....as is cheque, colour and harmonise (with an "s" instead of a zed.......sorry, zee). ;-)
Yep. The spelling is correct. However, if someone misspelled "favour" by forgetting the "u", I would be suspicious too :)

Surprised he didn't ask for your bank details so he could do a "direct deposit". When the dodgy cheque [correct spelling] was delivered it would be a matter of "please sign here" ...
Old 11-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

We have all figured out that he is not from the US by his spelling.

He wants your address and phone number that is clear.
Robbery? I can find a home to rob without going through all that trouble.
That makes no sense. It is only a $600 kit.

If he sends a check and you take it to your bank it takes several days for it to clear.
If you take it to the bank that the check is written from they will pay you on the spot if the check is good.
Sending a check is to risky. either way you could wait until you got the cash before giving up the goods.
He never intends to send you the check.

Sending a moving company won't be practical either. To many middlemen.

The drums aren't worth much. If he gets them he can't sell them for much. It isn't worth it for him to get the drums.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

Bob, if I moved to the US I would continue to spell things CORRECTLY *grin* so he might just be a migrant.

I agree with you, though, it seems like he was after your personal information. He seemed to be going to some trouble to prevent you from knowing anything about him.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

Somethings bothering me!
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2011, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

I found the answer.
http://ivebeenmugged.typepad.com/my_...heck-scam.html
Old 11-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold
This message has been deleted by Pocket-full-of-gold.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 AM
bobdadruma
This message has been deleted by bobdadruma.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Read post 34 Pocket we posted at the same time.
On it now mate. Thanks for that. Have deleted that post as it's now redundant.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I imagine that the next step would be that he would tell me that his "Movers" can only come in a time period that won't allow the check to clear and I will have to trust him.
That is the only way that I can figure that the scam can work.
He has to get the goods before you realize that the check is bad.
Perhaps he would ask for my bank account number to direct deposit the cash into.

How about the part that says that "The movers pick up money will be included in my payment"
What does that mean?
It's probably too late now but for next time anyone: That's mean he'd pay you extra in the check to cover the pick up money (you go ahead and pay the movers yourself since you go extra in your check) Then you 'd end up paying more cash out of your pocket on top of losing your drums
Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Calvin please read post #34.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Somethings bothering me!
Bob, would it look something like this?

And you deserve the bother! :)
Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

What was bugging me Polly was that I couldn't figure out the scam.
I finally had to look it up.
When I did know the answer it was so stupid that I couldn't believe it.
Can you imagine getting a check that is many times the amount requested and going through with the scam?
The whole thing is insane!
The fact that it works sometimes is insane!
It is so preposterous that it works.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

I've had this kind of response to Craigslist ads twice before, and both times it seemed like the email was almost like a template with the blanks filled in. But vaguely, like: "I am very interested in your musical instruments, when the ad is clearly describing a very specific thing.

Best of luck on finding a buyer for the kit... a real person!