DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:14 AM

Default New to drumming need some help.

Hello all, I'm new to drumming but have been practicing a lot lately on my Tama Swingstar 5 pc kit. I would like to add a smaller tom than the smallest one I have, as well as adding a floor tom larger than the one I have. I'd also like to upgrade the Tama hi hat and rides, as well as some nicer cymbals than the Zildjian ZBT crash and china I got used with this kit. I did add a new Sabian 8" splash that I like quite a bit. The skins are currently white Remo Ambassadors, but they are wearing out, and I'm not sure I like them all that much. Any and all suggestions appreciated as far as adding toms, the hardware necessary, and what cymbals I should look at next time I'm at Guitar Center (reasonably priced).

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: New to drumming need some help.

I would have to know all the exact drum sizes you have now to really tell you what I would personally add but my 2 cents..

Really learn to play with what u have before you start buying a bunch of new stuff to add on. I mean there's nothing wrong with it, especially if u wanna up grade your cymbals and stuff but try not to get to much going on to soon. It's easy to get sucked in to playing the same basic patterns on different cymbals and drums when u have a huge kit. That's just my opinion tho because that's just my experience.
But think about it this way. If all you had was a kick, snare, and hi hat would you find yourself trying to do new things with those 3 instruments? Maybe new stuff you wouldn't be doing if you could move that heavy beat u where just playing to a china cymbal instead?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Hi

The Tama Swingstar is a good beginner's kit, and I would persevere a little longer with this basic setup, trying to get used to tuning and have a strong basic knowledge of groove and rudiments before buying new elements to the kit.

You could then not just add a few toms, but buy a new set alltogether, but of a better quality.

In my earlier years I added lots of drums and cymbals (13 pieces kit with 11 cymbals) on a Tama Imperialstar.

You know what? 30 years later I'm playing a 5 pieces kit with 6 cymbals. If I could go back and start again, that's what I would do.

Hope this helps and keep practicing.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

"New to drumming, need some help"

Alright, well. Since you're new - just try to deal with what you have for two years or so. Then when you have the money, and the experience to feel like you need better equipment - then upgrade. Tbh zildjian ZBT are fairly expensive compared to how good they are. So if you want better cymbals they're gonna be pretty expensive.....
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 PM

Ok, I'm listening to everyone's advice about possibly upgrading the entire kit instead of just adding onto it. I like to play along to my favorite music with headphones and a lot of the fills I play along to, I just run out of drums to play on. So, my thinking was to add a second floor tom or a 10" tom next to my hi hat in order to play these fills more accurately. Second, the hi hat cymbals just have to go. I do NOT like the sound of them, they are original with this Swingstar kit, and sound cheap to me. I like a lighter, crisper sound and I guess I'm just going to have to hit the drum store and bang on some cymbals.

So does anyone have any suggestions on heads? What is the most popular for hard rock/metal drummers? How expensive are they?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
So does anyone have any suggestions on heads? What is the most popular for hard rock/metal drummers? How expensive are they?
Remo Pinstripe or Evans EC2, they're double films heads, will produce a sound rich in medium and low end range , you can hit them pretty hard and they will hide any imperfection within your tuning (I'm guessing that you haven't lot of experience in tuning), they're about 10% more expensive than regular ambassador type of heads.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, what he said, Remo Pinstripes or Evans EC2s. That's pretty much standard. I like a thinner black dot on my floor tom because I like the response better, I guess. As far as cymbals go, how can you know what you want until you go smack a few at the music store? In the end, you'll find that Sabian cymbals sound the best. Ha!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 AM

Today I used my $50 off coupon I got from guitar center, and picked up the Sabian B8 Super set (3 crashes, hi hat, ride and splash!) for $267! I also got another cymbal stand, and all new Evans heads except the bass drum. The B8 ride is heavenly! I also got a new set of noise cancelling headphones as well. I'm stoked!