DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:22 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: I have a plan. Opinions sought.

One more thing to add to the 'showroom' part of this.

In my experience, there has never been any pressure from any of the Guru team to buy one of their drums. I spent a long time with both Dean and Andy at the London Drum Show and never once felt that I was under any pressure to purchase. I would, of course, like to if it were possible.

I think it's important that the product speak for itself and in the case of these drums, they do very well. Having a zero-pressure showroom would be one way of honestly appraising these drums and it's an example of sterling customer service.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 PM
TFITTING942
This message has been deleted by TFITTING942. Reason: everyone wants to gladhand this idea....
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
One more thing to add to the 'showroom' part of this.

In my experience, there has never been any pressure from any of the Guru team to buy one of their drums. I spent a long time with both Dean and Andy at the London Drum Show and never once felt that I was under any pressure to purchase. I would, of course, like to if it were possible.

I think it's important that the product speak for itself and in the case of these drums, they do very well. Having a zero-pressure showroom would be one way of honestly appraising these drums and it's an example of sterling customer service.
Thank you very much for the props Duncan. It was such a pleasure to meet yourself, Ben, Dave & others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Maybe Luke's right. While we all know the only way to know how things sound properly is to hear them in person...if you're A/Bing then a recording will still show the differences, regardless of colouration of the sound by the recording equipment. I think your best bet is to focus on making good recordings of the comparisons, probably with video for the most multimedia appeal. This will be much, much cheaper and anyone in the world will be able to access it. Of course you can still have people come to see things in person, but I expect you'll be doing that anyway.
Good advice Ben, & yes, we'll be doing both. As a tiny company of limited resources, we have to be creative & prudent. I just can't see it being viable for us to fight it out for mass retail space. Nor do I think most stores offer the environment that works for us. Of course, we do have NA market aspirations, & that would almost certainly mean arrangements with retail outlets, but we'd need to be super careful in their selection.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Is the idea kind of like a drum "lab" where drummers can experiment with different constructions, bearing edges, heads and materials? Are drummers tearing down drumsets to change heads part of the vision? Or are the drummers not allowed to tinker, and will just walk around to different sets that are labeled as to what specifics that particular set is set up with?

Ben's idea is a good one but myself, I want hands on. I would want to actually go there and touch stuff, and be allowed to tinker with the drums. Or have a staff. So you could walk up to a window and say... I want to try that 10 x 9 segmented cocobolo shell with a 10 mil clear Aquarian head over a G1, with a single 45 bearing edge with a 30 degree round over, with a die cast batter and a 1.6 downstairs, played with a VF extreme 5B...

Too good to be true.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Is the idea kind of like a drum "lab" where drummers can experiment with different constructions, bearing edges, heads and materials? Are drummers tearing down drumsets to change heads part of the vision? Or are the drummers not allowed to tinker, and will just walk around to different sets that are labeled as to what specifics that particular set is set up with?

Ben's idea is a good one but myself, I want hands on. I would want to actually go there and touch stuff, and be allowed to tinker with the drums. Or have a staff. So you could walk up to a window and say... I want to try that 10 x 9 segmented cocobolo shell with a 10 mil clear Aquarian head over a G1, with a single 45 bearing edge with a 30 degree round over, with a die cast batter and a 1.6 downstairs, played with a VF extreme 5B...

Too good to be true.
Essentially Larry, yes! The drums will already be available with different bearing edges, timber species, construction, etc. They'll have the hoops & heads that we believe suite the drum best, but we'll have a selection of heads & hoops that can be mixed & matched as desired. Obviously, we can't allow for every possible eventuality, but all the main bases will be covered. The aim is for the customer to gain an appreciation of how each element affects the sound of the drum. We may not be able to encompass every comparison option on one drum though, as that would require a huge selection of stuff.

BTW, just finished setting up the drum selection for Lutz's visit. I'm meeting him at the airport around lunchtime. I'm pretty sure I've got a good choice of stuff for him to try. At least enough for him to get a general idea of what's possible, & the difference between constructions & timbers.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Update:

Just spent an afternoon with Lutz trying various drums. Not enough to try every possible combination of features, but enough to get close to Lutz's sound. I'm bringing him back here in the morning for further messing around, before departing for the airport. Having fun with this, & great to get someone else's perspective on drum sounds. Especially good as Lutz has little interest in gear, but works more on how the drums feel & reward his input. Very refreshing!

BTW, he's a killer player, really, something joyful to behold. Crawling back into my hack box as I type this ;)

We'll take some photo's tomorrow, & maybe even can a clip (Lutz permitting). If so, I'll throw up a separate thread to celebrate his visit.