DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 AM

Default Zickos Referbish

...or, how can you miss me if I won't go away?

Thank all of you who followed my "Sienfield" thread on acquiring a Zickos drum set. As I said before, it isn't new, in fact, it is in pretty grungy condition (hard to tell from the photos "out of the box). I am going to try to recondition the set and show anyone interested what I am doing.

Here's why I wanted to replace my stolen set with another set of Zickos. First, the hardware:

Name:  Zickos referbish 001.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  58.2 KB

Each lug has a full metal back up plate. There are two soft vinal sheets between the the back up plate and the shell and the shell and the lug. Each screw goes through a soft vinal sleeve. As a resultl, no metal touches the shell thus allowing the shell to vibrate with the head, or so Bill Zickos' theory goes.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Zickos Referbish

Each lug is made up of 14 separate parts.

Name:  Zickos referbish 002.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  61.0 KB

So, 8 lugs per head, 14 parts per lug is 224 parts just for the lugs. The floor tom I am currently working on has leg brackets which are simularly equiped (full metal back up plate, vinal sheets, screw sleeves). That's a lot of parts for just one drum. Also, the shell is a full 1/4" thick acrylic or plexaglass, I forget how Bill refers to them. Quality. I currently have all the hardware off the floor tom. Any of you plexaglass buffs have any suggestions as to how to clean and pollish said shell? I am taking my time because I want to do this right.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

You could polish the shells with one of the kits made for auto headlight covers. Also Stewart MacDonald sells these polishing pads for locally working guitar finishes that were originally developed for lexan fighter windscreens. Those are really similar to the things in the headlamp kit, only there are more grit graduations.

There are two industrial methods that I know of. But I would be really afraid od applying them to a vintage drum set unless I was really practiced. One is flame polishing. I've done this to the edges of plexiglass but it would take more skill to do a surface. Basically you take a propane torch and melt the surface just enough to cause the surface tension to reflow it smooth. You could get some scrap plastic and play with this to see if you have a touch for it. There are also "flaw repair sprays" that do the same thing chemically. More viable option if you get the right stuff. I've used this in industrial settings and it works, although it's nasty stuff and you need a lot of protective gear in a factory setting.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Oooh, I love refurbishing threads. Kit already looks nice out of the box, I'm looking forward to seeing it all shined up.

Here are a couple links I found with a few tips on cleaning up you acrylic tubs.

http://www.vintagedrum.com/restorati...olishvistalite

http://www.griptoad.com/RESTORATION.htm

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Me too. Post as much as possible. I am impressed with 14 piece lugs
Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

I know that there are Automotive refinishing products that will bring back the clearness to those shells.
Products for refinishing clear Lexan and plexiglass will help.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:23 AM

Well, I disassembled the 18" FT all the way to the shell, washed the shell in the shower. It seemed to clean up well. I cleaned the lugs (lightly with fine steel wool) and have partially reassembled it (lugs only). No significent scratching on this shell. It's looking good. Just have to finish the leg mounts and replace the batter head. I don't think Zickos ever put silver dots on their heads (who would do that to blue hydrolics?). Soon one down, four to go. Pics to follow.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Here's an update on my refurbish project. I have cleaned and reassembled the 18" floor tom and the 14" rack tom. I've disassembled the 13", and am attempting to get some severe scratches out of it before reassembling. The BD still remains to be done but there some rust issues in the rims that have to be addressed. All are awaiting blue hydraulic heads as soon as I can locate some.

I'm not sure if I am going to leave the felt muffle strips on the toms. They don't work too well with the silver dot heads. It makes the heads too dead. I'm pretty sure Zickos didn't include the silver dots with OE heads. Does anyone out there know? Here are pics. Name:  Zickos Refurbish 004.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  158.0 KBMore later.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM

Looking really nice. Keep the updates coming, excited to see the before/afters.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:35 AM

They're looking good, whats the history of them?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeS View Post
They're looking good, whats the history of them?
All I know about them is that I bought them from a guy in Florida who was piecing them out on Ebay. I managed to buy them all although they wern't exactly the sizes I wanted. I still have my eye out for some other fill ins if need be. I'm working on new heads and I hope to do some chrome work soon. It's going to take a while but I hope to have them in almost as good a condition as my set that was stolen. More to come.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 AM

looks good, there's a zickos kit for sale on los angeles graigslist lately...don't know if it's a good deal or not.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, That really cleaned up nice!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickosdrummer View Post
Each lug is made up of 14 separate parts.

Attachment 39195

So, 8 lugs per head, 14 parts per lug is 224 parts just for the lugs. The floor tom I am currently working on has leg brackets which are simularly equiped (full metal back up plate, vinal sheets, screw sleeves). That's a lot of parts for just one drum. Also, the shell is a full 1/4" thick acrylic or plexaglass, I forget how Bill refers to them. Quality. I currently have all the hardware off the floor tom. Any of you plexaglass buffs have any suggestions as to how to clean and pollish said shell? I am taking my time because I want to do this right.
PM Harry Conway - he knows exacly what to use. He recomended some Meguiars products to me one time and I think he even included links to where you could buy them online.

Glad to see that you have some more Zickos!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 AM

Well, here's an update on my refurbish (yes, I learned to use spell check). I finally have all the drums stripped down to the shells and awaiting new heads. I'm in the process of polishing the chrome. I cleaned the 13", 14" and 18" shells in the bath tub (mainly just water and a soft towel) but there wasn't room for the 22" BD. Luckily, I have a walk in shower and, you guessed it, I took a shower with my bass drum. It's a strange feeling to know that you and your bass drum have seen each other naked. Now, just keep that thought in your mind a while. I'd show pictures but this is a family site.

More later......
Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 AM
DSCRAPRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickosdrummer View Post
It's a strange feeling to know that you and your bass drum have seen each other naked.
Fantastic.

Sounds like you're making some serious progress. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:51 AM

If you tape the pictures of you and your bass drum in the shower together all over your kit....i bet people will be less likely to take this one
Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
If you tape the pictures of you and your bass drum in the shower together all over your kit....i bet people will be less likely to take this one
I'm so lucky I just set my coke down, brilliant.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 AM

Ok, so, since this is a family web site, I have chosen not to show a photo of my nude model. Rather I will show my simi nude model.
She's even on a leopard rug.

Name:  Zickos Refurbish 006.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  237.9 KB

More later............

Last edited by Zickosdrummer; 03-01-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 PM

Im currently looking at on old 22 inch acrylic Zicko kick drum at my local drum shop. All I'm missing is several of the tension rods and clasps. All the lugs are in perfect shape and the drum is beautiful. I'm worried about not being able to find the right hardware for it. Any leads? Is this worth buying for 75 bux???