DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 PM

Default Craviotto Worth The Money?

I'm getting a new drum kit for Christmas and have been looking at Craviotto, SJC, Ludwig, and every brand in between.
I saw this one-
http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php...ducts_id=10128
Does it look worth the money? I know it's an awful lot of money though.
Or do you guys think I should settle on something else? Suggestions please!
Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Craviotto Worth The Money?

I'll chime in. It depends. I would say no. It depends on what you do - if you're gigging alot and need stuff to stand up to the rigors, then sure. But if you play out less frequently, it'll be like having a Ferrari that you keep in the garage.

There are alot of kits out there that I would go for before a Craviotto. And I only say that because it doesn't matter what I play, I tend to make every kit I play no sound the same. It's weird. Cheap, expensive, wood, acrylic, I tend to sound the same on all of them.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

They are very nice kits, but I'd say "no". If they were more in the $3000 range, I'd say "probably".

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 AM

I play mainly around the house but I want a good kit.
That kit could last my whole life. If I didn't get that I'll get SJC or Ludwig.
I played a Craviotto snare once and I couldn't believe the sound. I thought Ludwig sounded good, but it was just ridiculously amazing.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Then by all means, go for it! I just look at it as a practical matter for me.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Are they well made custom drums? Yes, very much so.

However if it's worth the extremely high cost, that's entirely subjective, and up to your own pocket book.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:35 AM

You know I was over at MDS just the other day ...

One of the subjects that came up with one of the guys was how much money folks put into gear, the consensus between us was how little you really have to spend to have a good sounding and durable rig. I have a buddy one of the best drummers I know here in Memphis that has had and gigged with the same kit since the mid 70s ... he just last Summer replaced the cymbal stands that came with the kit. This guy gigs on a regular basis and has since 1965! He makes the kit sound great and is an A list first call guy. His kit is a Pearl Export series.

I would say get what you want and will be happy with ... but don't delude yourself into thinking a multi-thousand dollar kit is the end all-be all. I play bass on a pro level and have several one of a kind custom basses made just for me, and a couple of box stock Fenders. but you know I sound pretty much the same on my $200.00 parts Jazz Bass, and it is what I actually use on tuff outdoor and road gigs.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:43 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Agree w/ Kenny...You can get a great sounding shellpack for considerably less than 1000 brand new.
Any brand you can name can be made to sound great. The tolerances, equipment, precision is so much better now...you almost can't buy a bad drumkit. I'd stay away from sound percussion and groove percussion because of the cheap hardware but an inexpensive kit can absolutely produce a great sound in the right hands.
Craviotti makes great drums. If you can afford it, great, but another less expensive kit will last you your whole life too and can sound just as great.

I could take a Crav kit and tune it so it sounds really bad, and I can take a Groove Percussion kit and tune it so it sounds really good. If I did that and you heard them side by side, you'd think Crav's suck, which everyone knows they don't, and you'd think the GP is an awesome sounding kit, at a stupid low price.
I paid way too much for my drums and won't do that again, it's not justified. It's mostly vanity.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Agree w/ Kenny...You can get a great sounding shellpack for considerably less than 1000 brand new.
Any brand you can name can be made to sound great. The tolerances, equipment, precision is so much better now...you almost can't buy a bad drumkit. I'd stay away from sound percussion and groove percussion because of the cheap hardware but an inexpensive kit can absolutely produce a great sound in the right hands.
Craviotti makes great drums. If you can afford it, great, but another less expensive kit will last you your whole life too and can sound just as great.

I could take a Crav kit and tune it so it sounds really bad, and I can take a Groove Percussion kit and tune it so it sounds really good. If I did that and you heard them side by side, you'd think Crav's suck, which everyone knows they don't, and you'd think the GP is an awesome sounding kit, at a stupid low price.
I paid way too much for my drums and won't do that again, it's not justified. It's mostly vanity.
This is very true. Lots of times vanity plays a big part in what we buy. However, as I said that it's a practical matter, it depends on what you do. I pretty much make every kit sound the same, regardless of cost and build. But if you are always gigging, the higher quality will always win out because you don't need things breaking down while out on the road. If you gig occasionally you can get away with a nice mid-level kit, or a used semi-pro kit. I've played cheap-o Kent drums circa 1969 and made them sound great. I paid $100 for the drums, and did a $1000 week-long gig with it.

But I don't want to argue that you should get something cheaper. If you really like the Cravs, then that's what you should get. What you buy has to be inspiring to you, or you won't play them as much (I now, it sounds shallow, but go with it for a moment). If the Cravs are inspiring, then get a set! It'll probably be the last set you ever buy. However, I don't believe that either!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

There are very good arguments for yay or nay. If you do purchase a Craviotto set, then there are many benefits to be realized:
1) You will enjoy playing a great set day in and day out. If you are like me, playing a top level instrument is immensely enjoying!
2) You will not have to go through the upgrade shuffle as much as someone purchasing an intermediate kit, then upgrading it a few times. Their total outlay will likely be more than your Craviotto purchase.
3) If you ever want to sell your kit in 20 - 40 years, you will likely sell it for more than you paid for it if you have looked after it. (Have you seen the prices of vintage Gretsch kits!?!)

That said, there are lots of great kits out there for half of the price of a Craviotto. With proper tuning, these less expensive kits will also sound awesome!

I am currently looking for a high end kit and I am also considering a Craviotto, Gretsch, C&C, etc. I just have to have that important financial discussion with my better half! I am puttng away a bit of money each month to soften the financial impact of purchasing my next kit.

Good luck with what ever kit you buy!

GJS
Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulmoski View Post
2) You will not have to go through the upgrade shuffle as much as someone purchasing an intermediate kit, then upgrading it a few times. Their total outlay will likely be more than your Craviotto purchase.
But what of those people (like me) who buy top-grade kits every time? I'm not bragging, but the only mid-level kit I ever bought was a Sonor Force 3007, everything else, besides the aforementioned Kent drumset was top notch. So you may never upgrade, but that doesn't mean you won't want to move sideways.... I've moved sideways now at least ten times during my so-called career!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
But what of those people (like me) who buy top-grade kits every time? I'm not bragging, but the only mid-level kit I ever bought was a Sonor Force 3007, everything else, besides the aforementioned Kent drumset was top notch. So you may never upgrade, but that doesn't mean you won't want to move sideways.... I've moved sideways now at least ten times during my so-called career!
You are probably the exception; most people do not start out buying top-grade kits. You must have shuffled sideways through some nice kits Bo Eder!

Take care

GJS
Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Craviottos are steam bend shells and that sets them apart from most other kits. For me it comes down to pride of ownership. You'd own something that is unique. For some folks it's worth the money. For others it it isn't.

If you have the money go for it. You'd have a kit that you'd be proud of for the rest of your life.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:22 PM

I don't know much about the drums you inquire about other than I could never justify the cost myself. But that's me.
I have a Pearl Master's MRX kit as well as a 90s Pearl Export that I gig with. The Master's stay at home. Drums get awful dirty when being played out somewhere.

I expect to hand the Masters kit down to my grandson someday.

But it's your decision on those drums and good luck with your decision...whatever it is.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I think Bo said it best...They have to inspire you. Hopefully you can play them before you purchase.
But really...When you play the drums in a store or wherever, what's the chances that those drums have the same heads you use? And what's the chances that they are tuned how you like them?...Not good. It's hard to tell what they will sound like after YOUR personalizations. Plus all the drums around them are sympathetically vibrating and it definitely does influence what you hear....they sound fuller and bigger than if they were in a room all by themselves.
Buying drums is much harder than buying almost any other instrument, because its a PITA to change heads and tune them. They probably wouldn't let you do that anyway.
I think it's fair to say that, for instance, a set of Pearl drums can sound just as good, and last just as long, and be just as reliable as Crav's for a fraction of the price. Great, as long as the Pearls inspire you. But 400% more money for the Crav's doesn't return 400% better sound, far from it. After all it's just a simple membraneophone. The membrane is most of the sound.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

No way in hell I'd fork out over 6 grand for a little 4 pc. kit like that. Egads. I paid $800 for the Renowns I'm playing right now and they're right up there w/ the best sounding drums on the planet. I had a Craviotto/DW snare and I thought it had a really boring, uninspiring sound. I sold it and made money on it...it's all in the name!

Not knocking your choice - do what makes you happy. This is just my opinion.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004 View Post
I have a Pearl Master's MRX kit as well as a 90s Pearl Export that I gig with. The Master's stay at home. Drums get awful dirty when being played out somewhere.
No offense, but I still don't understand this mentality. The reason you have nice drums is to take them out and play them. You don't keep the Ferrari in the garage and just drive your aging pickup or whatever. Professional level drums were meant to be taken out and gotten dirty and played. Hell, groups take grand pianos and Hammond B3 organs on the road....

If you bought them for some kind of investment to leave to your grandchildren that's a little strange. I buy things for me to use, not to hand down to somebody else after I'm gone. When it comes to making music, I'm totally selfish. I'm not doing it for anybody else.

Sorry. End rant.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Well after many gigs where another member in the band spilled coke or whiskey or beer on the shells, I told myself that I was going to get a kit to gig with. So I did.

I did gig with the Master's for 8 years and then retired from playing. When I started back this year, I bought a used kit to gig with.

With the Exports, having bought them from a drummer who had gigged with them, I just set them in the back of the truck, no cases or bags, and don't worry about them. The truck bed is covered however. Each one of the Master's goes in an SKB case.

The kick drum on my Masters kit is 18x22 and heavy.....then add the weight of an SKB case to that and this 58 year old drummer gets tired quickly lugging that thing from the house to the truck to the gig to the truck....get my drift?

I did not buy them as an investment but at the same time, I want to protect my investment.
I do leave them set-up at home however and play them almost everyday.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004 View Post
Well after many gigs where another member in the band spilled coke or whiskey or beer on the shells, I told myself that I was going to get a kit to gig with. So I did.

I did gig with the Master's for 8 years and then retired from playing. When I started back this year, I bought a used kit to gig with.

With the Exports, having bought them from a drummer who had gigged with them, I just set them in the back of the truck, no cases or bags, and don't worry about them. The truck bed is covered however. Each one of the Master's goes in an SKB case.

The kick drum on my Masters kit is 18x22 and heavy.....then add the weight of an SKB case to that and this 58 year old drummer gets tired quickly lugging that thing from the house to the truck to the gig to the truck....get my drift?

I did not buy them as an investment but at the same time, I want to protect my investment.
I do leave them set-up at home however and play them almost everyday.
Understood. Then what you need is a couple of guys you trust to transport your Masters and set them up and strike them when you're done. You deserve it!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:27 AM

Beautiful kit and I've heard they sound as good as they look. I've never heard one in person nor played a kit but $6000 for four pieces? Unjustifiable in my book. Too many high quality kits out there for half the price that need good homes. Really, shockingly expensive.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:21 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
I'm getting a new drum kit for Christmas and have been looking at Craviotto, SJC, Ludwig, and every brand in between.
I saw this one-
Thanks,
Mark
If someone wants or needs a kit like that and can afford it, all well and good. Things sure have changed over the years because when I was your age, I was very pleased with my Whitehall set of drums for which I did odd jobs to be able to buy, lol. On another forum, I spoke to this gentleman who just purchased an 8 piece Pearl Reference kit for his 10 year old grandson.
His grandson now wants a gong drum for the kit.

Dennis
Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

The drums on that clip sounded good, but no more than that. I was trying to pick out some sonic feature that wasn't brought to the fore by either the tuning, or the head selection, no luck on most of the drums. I did think the floor tom had more to offer though. There was a nice tube effect in the sound that I like, but that's probably down to diameter vs. depth, plus a gentle bearing edge to the batter on that drum. Put simply, it's a beautifully made drum set that will sound great with attention to head selection & tuning. Equally, you could almost certainly get 98% of the sound quality from a kit at half the price point. There's nothing super innovative about the kit, & that's the only reason to go into the really high values IMO.

BTW, hated that ride cymbal. Yeah, ok, you can crash it, but would you really want to? Drowns out everything else with a nasty monotone wash IMO (awaiting incoming jazz missiles, lol).
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I thought the Crav's sounded boxy. Definitely a function of the heads (Fibreskyns?) and tuning. I thought that they could be made to sound 3x as good, especially for a promo sales vid.

I would recommend getting a Vaughncraft set...their shells are 1 ply steambent too. I priced a set last year, just to give you and idea...They wanted 1850, that's with the bearing edges done. Oh and that was for 6 drums. (birdseye maple dia x depth 22 x 20, 16 x 16, 14 x 14, 12 x 10, 10, x 9) A four piece I'm guessing would be more like 1400, maybe less. But you need lugs and hoops and heads and finishing, the downside.
I figured with all the needed items to finish the kit, I could have built a 6 piece for about 3300, that's with me doing an oiled finish though, and all brand new tube lugs and die cast hoops.

And they would be absolutely a custom kit all the way, for much less than the 5800 I paid for the same sized DW exotic kit. That's a 2,500 difference. I could have gotten my son a cheap car with just the savings....

I'm guessing your 4 piece could be built for probably 2500 tops, less if you have hardware and hoops to cannabalize.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Just read the review in MD on the 4 pc Craviotto Red Birch kit,they are considering it an "exotic' wood, priced at ten thousand and some change. Reviewer gave high marks for cosmetics and quality,but said this particular kit sounded terrific at high tunings(14x20,14x14,8x12 and 5 1/2 x 14) but the lower the tuning the more ordinary they sounded.I think it boils down to personal taste and your budget,although I know I could not bring a new kit like that to the dives that I play at.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:24 AM

Yes, the Craviotto name is associated with superb quality of material, workmanship and sound.
No, it is not worth the money if you have to ask.
Many pro drummers use expensive drums, but often they do not have to pay for them and the end purpose is to inspire you and I to actually purchase them.
What many purists have indicated here is that what matters is the sound, and good sound (I have learned on this forum from many of the respondents on this thread} can be achieved with just about any drum set that has the characteristics required to produce it.
Good heads, round shells and intact bearing edges.
The variance in material will give nuances of sound that some can recognize only with experience and ear adaptation.
I, for one, decided early on that with a wife and kids could not afford to be vain and after getting impatient in my search decided on a PDP set, thinking that a good manufacturer like DW would not produce a poor product on purpose. I then clicked on the ebay button for a used kit..
I regret not knowing enough to purchase a vintage set or having a teacher or friend that could advise me. All I had was this forum that I actually entered by chance while searching for electric guitar info.
Now I drum for fun and have rearranged part of my house to do it.
When my kids play on them or they invite their friends over to give it a try I walk away with some trepidation, but I do not freak out...ok maybe just a little.
My advice is get good cymbals and save your money on the drums.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 AM
thatoneguy

As a drummer who just purchased a kit I'll chime in. I purchased my last kit at Fork's (actually last 2 kits) back in 2007. That was DW and a Roland TD20. This year my brother started a studio in Nashville and took the DWs with him. I had to have some real Drums around. I was about to drive back down to Nashville. I decided to hit up all the stores in Evansville, IN ( a lot closer to home) before making a longer trip. I wanted something other than DW but something nice. I found some pearl masters (maple stink almost as strong as the DWs) and a Yamaha snare (Steve Gadd). It's an amazing kit and more affordable than what would have happened if I went back to Nashville. I couldn't be happier. I had just as much luck with cymbals, too. Added on a 13x11 FFX marching snare with Evans hybrid heads to the left and I'm ready to create! I'll make a thread with pics in your place cause I took good pics today.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't think they were. I'm sure they're very nice drums but the incremental gain you get in sound quality (which is subjective anyway) is absolutely dwarfed by the extra outlay in cash. Furthermore, the limitation will almost always be your head selection and your ability to tune them and keep them there. Actually, that's true for all but the most hopeless of drums.

If money isn't an object, then you get some great drums and bragging rights - go for it. But for 99.90126% of us, any old DW or Sonor SQ2 should suffice.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

One more thought: If I had that much cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy one nice kit, like a Yamaha, Sonor, DW, or whatever. I'd get a few extra drums like a couple different size kick drums, and as many toms as I might ever need so I could create different configurations. I remember seeing Dave Weckl's red Recording Customs on ebay and that kit had lots of drums in it that were never all used at the same time.

My own kit is that way and it's great. I have two kicks and 5 toms total, but only every play a 4 piece or 5 piece. I can do a 1 up 1 down, 2up 1 down, 1 up 2 down, 2 up 3 down, with either a 22" or a 24" kick. I still don't have a 10" or 16" though. One day... I'd give that some thought anyway, but I'd try not to spend too much on it.

It seems to me that the most bang for your buck comes from having a versatile collection of snares and cymbals. They get played the most and contribute the most to the uniqueness of your sound.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I wouldn't think they were. I'm sure they're very nice drums but the incremental gain you get in sound quality (which is subjective anyway) is absolutely dwarfed by the extra outlay in cash. Furthermore, the limitation will almost always be your head selection and your ability to tune them and keep them there. Actually, that's true for all but the most hopeless of drums.

If money isn't an object, then you get some great drums and bragging rights - go for it. But for 99.90126% of us, any old DW or Sonor SQ2 should suffice.
I'd agree with this and Bo 100%. You're going to be very limited on that kit and what you're going to do as far as sound. I agree with the mentality of using what you actually have, but only to an extent.
I would not go and play my Tuesday night house gig with a Crav kit. I agree with having nice gear and using it, but I also think that one needs a "gig" kit as well(of course this depends on where/what/and frequency of playing). For example at home is my Premier Signia limited anniversary kit, but I won't bring that one out very much unless it's a really big gig. That kit is mainly used for session work and practice. About a year ago I bought a kit just for my house gig, but once you've done the "sideways" move and purchased a few pro end kits and hardware/cymbals everything starts to change. See for this gig I bring a Ddrum Diatribe kit with EC2s in a standard rock 4 piece.If it broke I wouldn't cry. However, I have "pro" level hardware, cymbals, and snare to play with the "kit". So the only thing that's going "out" is the kick and tom package. I'm not sure if that really makes and sense, but what I'm saying is that you can be versatile and still have really nice gear along with having something that you use really to just go and play out.

You may want to think about your versatility factor before buying the Crav kit though, just saying. You have the opportunity to spend less and gain more.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
.. they're very nice drums but the incremental gain you get in sound quality (which is subjective anyway) is absolutely dwarfed by the extra outlay in cash. .
I think this sums it up best.

Fantastic workmanship and great drums. But it's spending a lot of extra money to get drums that are only incrementally better, and a better that would go completely un-noticed by most people.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM
nhzoso

NO way if I had that kind of money I would get the Gretsch Limited edition USA custom.. and still have over $3k to spend elsewhere.. But thats just me : )

http://www.indoorstorm.com/Gretsch_U...et-p-5923.html
Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 PM

I think it all comes down to what HE wants to do with his money. I would not buy it nor could i afford it. If i did buy it i would be scared to take it anywhere. And i agree with Bo that if you are not going to gig with it then you shouldnt buy it to sit in you house. I would buy a quality kit. For instance i wouldnt buy a First Act kit from toys r us for 200 with hardware and cymbals included. And i know that somewhere someone is making them sound great. Im more a middle of the road guy. I dont need the best and i dont want the worst. So in the end just buy what you feel you need.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
I saw this one-
Thanks,
Mark

a friend of mine just got a craviotto snare... 1000 bucks. And it sounds like it. Amazing is all I can say.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:54 AM

I have no dog in this hunt ... but

Just as a random point of interest ... the guy that owns "that" drum shop plays YAMAHA drums,
and it would stand to reason that he could use/own anything the shop has!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Allyn View Post

Just as a random point of interest ... the guy that owns "that" drum shop plays YAMAHA drums,
Very well said, as was your previous post. I personally have NO business playing drums that nice/expensive and I mean that on a talent and financial level.

However if I could afford it, even if I was just a hobbyist with ZERO skill, and that's what I really wanted- I'd get it. Get what you want for sure, but don't put yourself in a financial bind because you think these are the 'best' and you've talked yourself into believing that anything else would be a let-down.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Everyone has their preferences. On the other hand drummers like Ronnie Vannucci, Chris McHugh and Matt Chamberlain all use Craviotto's. They could use any drum in the world but they chose Craviottos for some reason. And before you reply that they get paid, at least in Ronnie Vannucci's case he, "...[is] not paid by anyone, I don't get a snare drum for writing something nice about Craviotto Drums. [He] only endorse something [he] truly believe[s] in."

At the end of the day it all comes down to value. If they have value to you - for whatever reason - and you feel their price tag justifies that then they are worth the money. It's kind of like the guy who owns the Ferrari. Most people feel it's a waste of money because they can't afford one in the first place.

Flame away.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC68 View Post
Everyone has their preferences.
I have no dog in this hunt ...
Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
I have no dog in this hunt ...
Understood. I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the part of your post that said an owner of that drum shop could choose any drum manufacturer he wanted and he chose Yamaha. I was just stating that others who could also choose any drum manufacturer they wanted went with the Craviotto's because everyone has their preferences.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:12 AM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

I could take a Crav kit and tune it so it sounds really bad...
No you can't. Not because of your tuning skills though. It would be impossible to make such a great drumkit sound bad.

In the case of a Craviotto drum, or other high-end drums, if the tension rods aren't falling out the kit is going to sound good. Great drums tune so easily that they nearly tune themselves.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
No you can't. Not because of your tuning skills though. It would be impossible to make such a great drumkit sound bad.

In the case of a Craviotto drum, or other high-end drums, if the tension rods aren't falling out the kit is going to sound good. Great drums tune so easily that they nearly tune themselves.
Now wait just a minute. Impossible to make such a great drum kit sound bad? If the...oh man.

Really, now. You can't be serious. Can you?