DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Default Video drumming

I'm new to the site and I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times before so forgive me...

I stopped playing the drums a looooooooooooooong time ago. Rust isnt an issue...its more like seized up. Now being in my 30's I want to start playing again, it hit me like a huge wave when I saw this girl in a band killing it on the drums. It made me regret every second that I stopped playing, she was inspiring.

Like I said I want to get back into it but I dont have too much free time for lessons or anytime that suits their time. So I was looking into those video programs to get me going again. Can anyone recommend a good video program. Like I said its been a long time so its almost like starting over at this point. I've seen alot of video programs online but which one is good considering they range in price from $80 - close to $300.

Appreciate the help and looking forward to Popeye Syndrome again!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Video drumming

Hey njd.

Yes, there are many video drumming teaching methods out there, so it may be hard to choose. But there are some good ones.

I've reviewed a few of these programs, so if you like you can start by looking at these reviews and seeing if they're right for you.

At my site (TheParadiddler.com), if you go to the 'Reviews' tab you'll see a section called "DVD Reviews". Listed there are a couple of full-blown drum courses, that should help you determine which one's right for you. One is Mike Michalkow's "Drumming System", and another is Dann Sherrill's "Learn and Master Drums". Both are very good, at least to me.

Also, for a very specific aspect of your drumming, such as bass drum technique, check out the review on Matt Ritter's "Unburying the Beater".

Also, you also have the option of taking lessons online. I recently interviewed Mike Johnston of MikesLessons.com, and he gives details on his teaching methods. Go to the 'Podcasts' section of the site and have a listen. Very informative!

In any case, you can pretty much get anything you think is right, and if you don't like it, you can always return it. Just make sure you know what the return policy is. :)

I hope this helps!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:01 PM

Thanks I appreciate it!!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 PM

I second "Drumming System".
Old 11-25-2010, 10:07 PM

+1 for Mike Johnston at MikesLessons. Best thing I've done for myself in a long time. Huge international following, Videos, Podcasts, mp3's, PDF's, Student Chat Room, big name drum clinics and best of all, Live Lessons with Live Q&A sessions twice a day, three times a week. Only $19.99/mo., well worth it dude. Ya, I sound like a rah rah for this guy but seriously, you'll dig it.

http://www.mikeslessons.com/
Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

I love Dann Sherrill's L&MD, but honestly can't stand the drumming system stuff.