DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM

Default Small rant for the day

Is anybody else sick of this so called "perfect" music. I'm talking about how all the kits are quantized, or sampled. How the auto tune has been run into the ground, and how music has just completely lost its popularity when it comes to the groove and naturalness of the song.

I hope their are others who feel the same way.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Small rant for the day

Not at all. Luckily I'm in a situation where I don't get to listen to music I don't like very much.

I'm actually overwhelmed by the availability of good music. As far as records go, all the great recorded music is far more accessible than ever, there is no way I could absorb all the music I like in my lifetime. We've never had it so good as to recorded music, ever. Live might be a different story.

Now, I don't like a lot of that autotuned contemporary R & B stuff etc, but I do like some sampled or drum machine using music (Michael Jackson, Aphex Twin). But the music overall in this case rises above its mechanical elements, there is a lot of music that doesn't, but I don't mind, because of the accessibility of the good stuff. I do have friends who have to work while surrounded by that music all day, sucks for them. I'd probably be sick of it in that position.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

I get the rant. However, if you widen your radar a bit, you'll find you're more surrounded by perfect music more than you think.

For instance, go to a movie, you ever hear any bad notes? Watch TV same thing - nobody's making any mistakes music-wise.

Here at Disneyland, we have educational seminars for school musicians and that's the first thing that gets pointed out to the kids - you never hear music being played badly, at Disneyland (live or recorded) or anywhere else in the industry. And what's even scarier is on your average movie soundtrack, you're probably hearing mostly first takes! There's an entire population of elite musicians who will absolutely nail it upon first reading out here. For what they spend on studio sessions, they're certainly not going to pay musicians for rehearsing!

But yeah, as far as popular radio culture goes, there ain't much out there to be excited about.

Except maybe this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-ezrWohOQ
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

I understand what the OP is getting at too. I agree it all sounds so sterile and the worst part (for me) is that the music that's popular on radio is sorely lacking in dynamics. The tension and release, the softer and louder parts of the song just isn't as apparent as the songs of the sixties and seventies were (not including disco). It's like a synthesized machine gun blasting away for three minutes!

PS Bo has a good point. My high-school band-leader once told us that "An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he can"t play it wrong."
I've always loved that saying!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumgeek93 View Post
Is anybody else sick of this so called "perfect" music. I'm talking about how all the kits are quantized, or sampled. How the auto tune has been run into the ground, and how music has just completely lost its popularity when it comes to the groove and naturalness of the song.

I actually don't mind any of that stuff, but what I want to hear is people doing more adventurous things with it. To me, far more important than anything else in music is composition. I haven't been hearing anyting to excite me when it comes to compositions in popular music for a long time. The problem isn't necessarily overproduction, extreme quantization, etc. (although I'm not really a fan of extreme, mathematically precise quantization, but still--if the compositions were more interesting, that could work).
Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

sway- The Rolling Stones from the album Sticky Fingers- the dirtiest imperfect drumming from Charley Watts which makes the song classic for me.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Pretty much with you on that, although there's a time and a place for everything I guess. There's also the temptation of perfection. Picture the scene, band in the studio, producer says "sorry guys, we're going to release your best one take shot, & you can't use any correction toys whatsoever". Even if you're completely confident of the band's performance, there's still the desire to polish it up a little. I suppose I'm saying, with you brother, but where do you draw the line?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 PM

I just don't like how people think an "artist" is good when they don't have a shred of musical talent. Take hip-hop for example. Nothing against the genre itself, but I think that a good portion of it isn't actually the person doing it. When you see a performance on television and the solo artist is just singing, with a couple of guys pressing play on a computer to give her a backing track. The backing track was probably recorded be some amazing musicians that were called into the studio for 30 mins so they can edit out 29 minutes of it and put it on a loop. That type of music disgusts me.
It isn't so much the music itself that is unappealing, it's the fact that most of it isn't actually real.
Lady Gaga for example, she is a great singer, poet, and pianist. She doesn't make the backing track of some of her songs. It's mostly from a computer. I can listen to her stuff and not have a problem with it. It is just the fact that most of the instruments you hear aren't from a real recording. That is what I don't like.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Pretty much with you on that, although there's a time and a place for everything I guess. There's also the temptation of perfection. Picture the scene, band in the studio, producer says "sorry guys, we're going to release your best one take shot, & you can't use any correction toys whatsoever". Even if you're completely confident of the band's performance, there's still the desire to polish it up a little. I suppose I'm saying, with you brother, but where do you draw the line?
I completely understand, and agree

I am a believer in going back in the studio and saying hey I rushed this part, or a forgot the push. Mistakes are going to happen. I'm saying we have the luxury of these tools in the studio, but the music industry seems to have taken them beyond the call of duty. I own a studio and I have had good clients and bad clients. Bad clients such as vocalists who are just completely off pitch, but its a business. You have to give them what they want. Auto tune seems to be that. This completely shatters the idea of them ever going and doing their stuff live. Even big artists today.. None seem to have the vocals like the old days. Its obviously possible to have such pitch with the vocalists that are out there. Maybe we should just start seeking out real talent.. Same for the music. quantized and sampled instruments are over used. The majority of most the music out there is just so bland and predictable. Yah their is the handful of bands and artists which are found and are really good. I'll agree, that those bands have a cool riff and such. But I guess its just a personal thing. I enjoy music that moves you. That is what art is supposed to do. I miss the golden years in which music had passion, feeling, and you knew what the artist was trying to express.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Interesting points. A Texas Singer songwriter wanted to lay down a few songs at a friend's studio and called me to record the drums. After about the 3rd take we listened to the recording, noticed a slight anomaly in the beat (me being human, without a click track) and I asked if they wanted to do another take. Their response was H*LL NO!!

You see, they actually wanted the anomalies in the beat and rhythm to give it a more human, real feel, instead of the preprogramed, computer-generated perfect beats that were in the song to give the singer more depth when he was laying down the vocals.

We listened to the song with the prerecorded beats and then the song with my beats and it was totally human beats all the way.

I'm with you though, I can't stand a lot of the POP garbage out there simply because it doesn't sound real. It sounds too manufactured, if that makes sense.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Interesting points. A Texas Singer songwriter wanted to lay down a few songs at a friend's studio and called me to record the drums. After about the 3rd take we listened to the recording, noticed a slight anomaly in the beat (me being human, without a click track) and I asked if they wanted to do another take. Their response was H*LL NO!!
I completely agree with them. That "human" feel is what they are wanting and they are calling it human feel, by comparing to the perfectly timed and all in all "perfect" music. You guys built a groove when you took that 3rd take. Whats bad is when people completely murder that groove by quantizing it perfectly to the click. I do want to stress that I think, being close to the click is one of the most important parts of drumming. But so is keeping that energy and over all groove.

I very much agree with you.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 PM

I, too, agree with you guys. The human feel is what draws me to music. I like how a song can be played by 3 different bands and sound 3 different ways. And as far as the studio thing, I have to give those musicians props who can do their takes in one shot. But I can't help but think, is this because they are just THAT good or are the parts broken up so much within each section that it's easier to sight read and record on the first take?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 AM
"Uncle Larry"

It does seem as if the real talent is getting harder to come by. In the 60's, 70's, and 80's, it was normal that most musicians/bands/songwriters everywhere you looked were all majorly talented in some way. It seems much more sparse now by comparison. The talent pool, as far as pop music is concerned, seems alarmingly diluted from where I'm sitting.

The mindless song writing, the over production and the mechanisation of todays top 40 music totally holds no interest to me whatsoever.

At gigs haven't you ever heard someone say that it's refreshing to hear real people play real music?

There's something about watching someone play a traditional instrument. Its a feast for the eyes and ears, and more.