DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Default Re: What to expect out of a drummer?

Agree with others here... If he's not doing what needs to be done - then explain it to him, give him a chance to correct it, and if he can't - then fire him.

I show up prepared - even for auditions - if the band has recorded output, or it's covers.... I usually have them nailed after one or two rehearsals because I practice at home. There's no excuse for being unprepared.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: What to expect out of a drummer?

OK Brew I understand a little better now. These aren't your main money making gigs, it's more for personal satisfaction. (Nice when you can combine the two!)

I couldn't play music I didn't care for, for a living. That would be torture to me.
That's the one thing I see that scares me about being a pro musician, if they have to play stuff they hate so they can afford their house.

But back on topic, as a common courtesy, like Sqadan says, you have to let the guy know that his position in the band is rapidly slipping.
@ frustrated: You guys are well within your rights to require drum parts that (as Pol says) ticks all the boxes. You have to give him the courtesy of a certain amount of time to correct things, and if he can't, he was informed of the consequences. It's just business, not personal. He needs to step up his game, like right now.

I had to do the old War song "Lowrider". The next day I permanently added a small cowbell to my kit, because it's signature to the song. I'd feel like a dope playing it on my existing larger bell...Gotta take a little pride in your playing.