DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Requirements for stage clothing

It will be said yet again - depends on the gig. I'm yet another of the jeans / "good" black tee shirt. I'll upgrade to a black polo or a solid white or black button down, sleeves rolled up and un-tucked. Other times a pair of khakis will replace the jeans. The shoes are either Chucks or leather casual.

P.S. I'm also in So-Cal so on an outdoor gig in the hot months, I'll wear shorts when I can get away with it.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Derek
This message has been deleted by Derek.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

Depends on the gig, but my feeling is that you're on stage, you're the entertainment. You should stand out from the crowd. On break, folks should know that you're in the band.

Now some genre's have a specific look that is kind of necessary, so if you can pull it off you go with that. Since I'm not going to be playing in a metal or punk band, I don't have to worry about that kind of get up. Some sidemen can get away with skinny jeans and tight t-shirt, even behind a flashy front person, but I can't. Maybe if I looked like Lyle Workman or Rusty Anderson (guitarists for Sting and Macca respectively, who aren't exactly young but still have the look). But note that you won't see Sting or Paul in that kind of outfit.

Larry, you must have plenty of bowling shirts from your blues band days. Along with Hawaiian shirts. You can sort of get away with those in a classic rock band. I have a few flashy bowling shirts and other "going out" kind of things. Over jeans in a small bar, or black slacks when you're on a real stage up where people can see you.

Every musician should have basic neat and clean stage blacks. Slacks, and a collared shirt. Not faded black jeans and a black logo'd t-shirt. That works for just about any occasion.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

I got some nice looking shorts for summer gigs made by volcom which I think are skater shorts, but they are a nice cut black with pinstripes.
They are really comfortable and they look kinda classy.

I usually wear a tshirt I usually buy a bunch of cheap shirts at target like just solid color tshirts. I have a few gretsch t-shirts, and my favorite playing shirt is my stanton moore drum company shirt. really comfortable and classy looking.

For nicer gigs like festivals or house of blues type gigs I'll wear short sleeve pearl snap cowboy shirts usually in black. rarely I will wear a long sleeve dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

I have to wear a hat when I play depending on how casual the gig is I'll wear a baseball cap but usually I wear a driving cap or something.

I learned my lesson one time I saw pictures from the houston international festival and I was wearing cutoff cargo pants, doc martens, and a ratty tshirt and I was standing around backstage and you couldn't tell if I was in the band or a roadie. So now I try to at least look like I'm a musician.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

As you can see, I'm well hidden by my very compact kit. We normally wear all black tees & denims (we're a classic rock band with a twist), but as you can see from this chopper rally gig a couple of weeks ago (that's the rally logo BTW), the bloody singer decided to do his own thing. What a dick!
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Like some of you might know I have heat allergy so I get a rash if my body heats too quickly or beyond certain point. So sometimes I would like to drum completely naked but that isn't usually possible xD ... Usually I just take off clothes during playing untill I have only socks and something hiding my private parts on. Sounds funny I know, but this is quite serious and uncomfortable business for me. =( But I guess it's good for my technique, I really have to think not to overdo anything or my 'organism' fails. But I can't imagine doing gigs with suits on on the summer. My body tells me it's wrong.

Yeah, in this case for me, less is more! There, I said it. Feel free to quote it out of context. =P
Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

I don't know if this is an unwritten law or what, But when ever I have played a jazz gig I have to wear ( jazz black ) black pants and Black button down shirt, and black shoes. and of course black sox.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
I'm not going to be playing in a metal or punk band, I don't have to worry about that kind of get up.
That's one of the big ironies of punk, since the "punk philosophy" is supposedly geared towards non-conformism, authenticity, etc. (and it's not the only genre so described with the same ironies). Of course, the conventions of the music are ironic relative to that, too.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Depends on the gig, but my feeling is that you're on stage, you're the entertainment. You should stand out from the crowd. On break, folks should know that you're in the band.
A guitar player I used to play with years ago used to say "it doesn't matter what your image is, as long as people can tell the difference between who is in the band who's the roadie".
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 AM

In the band in which I play (17pc Glenn Miller style Big Band) we have uniforms for most gigs. We do USO gigs (music of the 40's) and play in AAF replica uniforms (not the actual uniforms - most of our guys have more than a 40" waist, lol) and for formal gigs we wear black pants, white shirt, bow tie and a vest. We do a practice gig every Tuesday (is it a practice or a gig? who knows?) we just come casual. I usually wear what I had on that day - kahki pants and a sports shirt, my regular "uniform". We have done some outside gigs in the heat where we just wear something cool.

Last edited by Zickosdrummer; 08-20-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Tux w/ black wicking t-shirt. The jacket may stay on for a few songs, but I lose it pretty quickly. I should try some chucks, they'd look good w/ a tux.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

I'd say as long as there are no wardrobe malfunctions, you're fine....
Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

I generally wear a black shirt (short sleeves), jeans and my trusty Converse All Stars. As far as accessories, I often wear a fedora hat and leather wristband. In general, I feel it's a pretty standard image for our genre of music (70s and 80s inspired hard rock). The only negative thing about playing in a hat is that if it gets hot, I can't take it off without having horrible hat hair :-)
Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Normally for me, in a classic rock band, it is shorts for the comfort and freedom and a T-shirt on top but, like Florian, I have just bought a plain black kilt (even more freedom!). I haven`t gigged with it yet and realise that I will need to be careful when behind the kit, especially on a high stage!
I agree with those that say they like to dress up a bit. It helps get me into my part. I am a manager during the day with a shirt and tie so I need to shake off that serious business type role and become the slightly crazy guy behind the kit.
I also think that the audience expects that as they are coming to a "show" the band make an effort to entertain all of their senses depending on the gig obviously (If AC/DC stood still on stage in sensible shoes; would they still be as entertaining???)
Old 08-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spoiler View Post
Normally for me, in a classic rock band, it is shorts for the comfort and freedom and a T-shirt on top but, like Florian, I have just bought a plain black kilt (even more freedom!).
Did you get a Utilikilt? I wear an Original in black with black belt. I recommend a pair of running pants underneath so your boys and taint dont give your throne any left over swamp-ass stank.
I tried wearing my wool clan kilt once....I broiled in that....never again.

F
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 PM

Modest. Always a dress. Stockings and something that covers my arms and is at least ankle length. When Playing I usually just hike the dress up around my knees and I never wear shoes.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
Tux w/ black wicking t-shirt. The jacket may stay on for a few songs, but I lose it pretty quickly. I should try some chucks, they'd look good w/ a tux.

That is completely awsome
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
A guitar player I used to play with years ago used to say "it doesn't matter what your image is, as long as people can tell the difference between who is in the band who's the roadie".
A bigger problem can be security people being able to tell who is with the band (whether a band member or roadie) from the audience. There are many tales of band and crew members getting stuck on the wrong side of security. Of course, most of them involve being a bonehead and either forgetting or losing your ID badge, but still.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post

I worked on a cruise ship once where the bassist got by for awhile wearing one of those long-sleeved tux t-shirts.

Half of the band used to just wear black socks, too, and I don't think anyone in the band owned an actual pair of tuxedo pants.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Like Chad Smith in the Chili Peppers. All you need is one sock. Nothing else. One sock.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Did you get a Utilikilt? I wear an Original in black with black belt. I recommend a pair of running pants underneath so your boys and taint dont give your throne any left over swamp-ass stank.
I tried wearing my wool clan kilt once....I broiled in that....never again.

F
Yeh, I bought an original in black too but just a light weight one as I am sure my clan kilt would be way too hot. I reckon shorts are a definite "must" to protect my throne and also my modesty! I guess I will also have to position my cooling fan behind me instead of blowing towards me!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Depending on the band you play in it could be anything from a suit and tie to leopard skin pants. Just as long as it's lose and is comfortable to play in. For someone abnormal like me, well, my user name says it all.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Fur drummer....

You wear FUR when you gig?

You a crazy nut!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

I think shirtless drummers are tactless. You're there to help pull the band together - so show off some skill, not skin!

I think black is a nice idea, the more solid and more it covers the better. If I could, I'd wear a black sweater, but I'm sure those sleeves might get in the way as I kinda like loose clothing. Otherwise, a tight black tee with some cool design would be neat. And then I'd probably wear stone-washed black jeans or maybe some slightly baggy khakis with large pockets to store things like drumheads and splash cymbals. (just kidding) I do like khakis though. :)

And the comment larrylover posted about wearing inappropriate stuff to church, I'm sorry to hear that dude, I know God doesn't judge us by what we wear and neither should people, but wearing things to offend people is just as bad. I grew out of that phase a long time ago. Sure, what's inside counts far more than what's on the outside, but if we're trying to offend others we're just being immature.

:)

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Fur drummer....

You wear FUR when you gig?

You a crazy nut!
Yes, but not coats or jackets. I wear a boa or vest.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM

Shorts, t-shirts 8 months out of the year down here. Jeans, t-shirts the rest generally speaking. Wardrobe is definately driven by the style of music, what the others are wearing and of course the venue. Oh, I can't play in rings, bracelets. And just say no to gold, shiny jackets! Shirt and bra a given!!