DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Requirements for stage clothing

So I was shopping for some new stage clothes, I am very low on gigging clothes. Which got me wondering about all my brothers and sisters here, what do they look for in stage clothes?

As far as shirts go they have to be short sleeve (even in winter) and cotton, no poly crap. (Not you Pol!) No polos either. Pants have to be straight leg. I would like to wear shorts, but won't except maybe an outdoor gig. I try to stay away from tee shirts, only because they aren't professional looking enough. I want to be slightly better dressed than the audience.
I play in socks, so they must be black, even if I'm wearing white running shoes. Walking around on stage with big ole honkin white socks that are dirty underneath....isn't a pretty sight

All pockets emptied before playing, even my wallet, which I detest sitting on, even while driving.

I am interested in hearing about any clothes rules you have, especially the female contingent. Specifically, the bra dilemma, yay or nay.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Requirements for stage clothing

Given Los Angeles is near summer year around, shorts and a tank top.

But if the gig requires pants and a nice shirt, I've done that too.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 PM

I personally hate when drummers wear shorts when i watch bands. I dont like seeing up those hair legs haha. But I am a hypocrite because i wear shorts sometimes. But only at church because i think its funny to wear wildly inappropriate attire when playing at church.
I once wore a "save a drum, bang a drummer" shirt lol

Last edited by larrylover; 08-17-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: cont speell
Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Here in the eastern part of the US we call tank tops, "wife beaters" or just "beaters" lol.

DED lucky you to be that comfortably dressed to play.
I heard Vinnie used to wear shorts and still got the beater caught in the leg part, he sits so low.
(That isn't really true)

Last edited by larryace; 08-17-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 PM

Nice jeans and a nice black T-shirt for me - or a nice western shirt... That's pretty much my stage uniform - oh - and chucks on my feets! I don't wear shorts except around the house... nobody wants to see my hairy legs lol!

I'm with larryace on the stuff in the pockets - I empty my pockets into my stick bag pocket during the set. And my wedding ring goes on my key chain.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

I'm kind of a shorts and t-shirt guy, which is appropriate for the gigs I do. I like to be dressed slightly worse than the audience! (jk).

My only weirdness is I like black shirts; not because they're sinister and scary, and I'm not out to promote anyone or anything, so my black t doesn't sport any metal band graphic or logos of any kind.

The reason is that I like contrast between my sticks and everything else. I don't like black sticks because you can't see the friggin' things, and as an audience member (and a drummer), I want to see the drummers sticks flying around.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Only long pants for me. Jeans or semi dress pants if I need to look spiffy.

I'm 6"4" so even with long shorts, I end up looking too gangly and apeish behind the kit.

It's either a good looking T shirt or a collared Bahamas style shirt - always dark.

A few years ago I always wore a black suit, white shirt and black tie to gigs. Not a funeral suit but a slightly worn black suit. Even if I ended up with shirt sleeves rolled up later, I always looked good.

Frankly most of my gigs now are in sweaty, smoky bars and clubs and the audience could care less.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylover View Post
I personally hate when drummers wear shorts when i watch bands. I dont like seeing up those hair legs haha. But I am a hypocrite because i wear shorts sometimes. But only at church because i think its funny to wear wildly inappropriate attire when playing at church.
I once wore a "save a drum, bang a drummer" shirt lol
Why are you looking up their legs, Larrylover? Lol - you really left yourself open for that one and I just couldn't pass it up!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
So I was shopping for some new stage clothes, I am very low on gigging clothes. Which got me wondering about all my brothers and sisters here, what do they look for in stage clothes?

As far as shirts go they have to be short sleeve (even in winter) and cotton, no poly crap. (Not you Pol!) No polos either. Pants have to be straight leg. I would like to wear shorts, but won't except maybe an outdoor gig. I try to stay away from tee shirts, only because they aren't professional looking enough. I want to be slightly better dressed than the audience.
I play in socks, so they must be black, even if I'm wearing white running shoes. Walking around on stage with big ole honkin white socks that are dirty underneath....isn't a pretty sight

All pockets emptied before playing, even my wallet, which I detest sitting on, even while driving.

I am interested in hearing about any clothes rules you have, especially the female contingent. Specifically, the bra dilemma, yay or nay.
I try to look appropriate for the gig I'm on. If I play a gig at the lake in July, it will be shorts, T-shirt and tennis shoes. If it is a western swing gig, I have very nice western shirt I wear. I usually wear a very nice T-shirt (an Affliction shirt or a retro band short) and some boot cut jeans and my Doc Martens. Larryace, black socks do exist. I hear they actually come in other colors as well.

One of everyone's fav shirts that I wear is the old MTV shirt like Jesse Ventura wore in the movie Predator. The only difference is that my chest hasn't been blown thru the front of the shirt.............yet.

You don't have to spend a lot of cash; just go (gasp) shopping and look around for something that you would think is cool and look good on you. Take your wife or your girlfriend (or both - now that's a shopping trip!).

I use my niece as my guide, her best advice would be that your socks match which shouldn't be much of a problem if your only two colors are black or white. I once asked her if this was really a problem and she told me that I wouldn't believe how big of a problem it is!

You know, I'm kind of rambling here so I'm just going to shut up. Have fun!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 PM

lol dammit skitch you got me.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

here in florida, if it's outdoors then i'm definitely wearing shorts and i'm gonna have a big fan blowing on me too. that's the only way to survive! indoors i usually wear dark jeans, dark sneakers (like converse style), and some kind of music related or cool looking t-shirt. that's my uniform.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

I like to go to resale shops you can find some very interesting shirts. I always wear button up shirts with cool patterns on them. I can't play with long sleeve shirts unless its a wedding. I try not to wear shorts. But when its 95 degrees out side and 90% humidity I'm wearing shorts. I also like to wear wrist bands, not to be a fashon statement but it keeps my wrist warm and limber and keeps me relaxed. I have carpal tunnel syndrome ever since I have had my technique tuned up and do a proper warm up before playing. I am going on three years with no symtoms.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Given that my last few videos are at a backyard party and I'm in shorts and a t-shirt, I also own a tux and a nice dark suit with dress shirts for those kinds of jobs, and I even own a cowboy hat. I do prefer black when onstage though, solid black. I don't own any black leather pants though, that's a little too much for me. I tend to favor those poly black button up shirts because they retain a shine. I remember seeing Louie Bellson in a tux, and his tux had shiny threads stitched into it that sparkled when in the lights (what an show business master!).

Usually I ask what they require dress-wise for a gig and get close to it. It's all about being a chameleon. That's why basic black is popular, it's easy too!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

My sense of fashion for shows is kind of ironic, being in a metal group.

Classy button-down(probably a Van Heusen), spectrally matching tie(pink+grey looks nice), black Merona's, and no shoes or socks. My favorite outfit has to be my black silk tie and a shirt that's the perfect shade of blue. It ticks my guitarist off so badly.

Just my style. I don't really care who's wearing what, part of being a rocker is being out-of-the-ordinary.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Specifically, the bra dilemma, yay or nay.
Your whole post was just a ruse to wheel this Trojan horse onto the forum. Well done!!!

My view on this is transparent (ahem), keep it simple!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM

I don't put much thought into it unless it's a wedding or a bigger event. If that's the case I usually wear a black polo and nice jeans. My bigger concern is dressing age appropriate.
I'm 41 so I don't want to be "that guy". Took out my ear rings years ago, and no skinny jeans for me.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

I like to dress up in something exotic or unusual. I like wearing clothes on stage that I could not otherwise wear in public.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 PM

I don't tend to dress a certain way for a gig or anything. What ever is clean at the time i'll wear it. lol Weather i'm playing inside or outside i pretty much stick to the samething....sleeveless t-shirt, shorts, wristbands and i always barefoot ( I don't do any outside playing during the winter, it's to damn cold).

At church i do try to look a little more decent. A polo shirt, kacki pants, wristbands. When i'm done playing i'll just slip my shoes on and i'm good to go.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM

A band t shirt;camo jeans;and my black vans
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 PM

Hey Larry,

I'm with you on stuff in the pockets. How about this? It works for Tommy and nothing gets in the way. Well....almost nothing.

Cheers,
-R
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Steelie, that's unusual garb for being in a metal band. Gutsy call lol
DMC I can only imagine what you wear. (witch doctor getup?) Can you be a little more specific?
Bo I couldn't imagine playing in a tux, ugh! Don't know how BR and those guys did that...
But you have to admit, it is cool looking when you have some really great threads on under the stage lights.
Drummers are usually hidden for the most part which kinda sucks. I think they are the most exciting player to watch, with key players being the most boring to watch (excluding the exceptions)
Andy not much gets by you lol. All this drum talk gets stale after a while, and every so often, you just need breasts to remind you of what's really important..
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I like to dress up in something exotic or unusual. I like wearing clothes on stage that I could not otherwise wear in public.
I've done my share of those too.

Still, they were based around shorts and something sleeveless, but I've had some wild shorts and vests in my original bands.

It's pretty clear I'll never be a Senator or run for President. Far too many embarrassing pictures of me in crazy outfits floating around the net.

But at the time, it's what help us draw in the crowds, which drew in the record companies. Around 96/97, the band at the time went from plain black to more wild, and our average audience attendance doubled. I can't imagine wearing some of that stuff now that I'm 40!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

I like to dress up. I'm one of the more animated personalities on stage so I try to dress the part. With my last band I used to wear tight jeans and a button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up past the elbows. The consistent accessories were my chucks and a bandanna, I sweat like something's wrong with me. Some days I dressed it up with a vest and a tie usually done in a sloppy four-in-hand knot to give it a little punk rock look. Recently I've added a sweat towel as an accessory, I live in AZ and it gets HOT here.

Starting a new band with the singer of my old group soon, probably a 3 piece (piano/guitar/drums) and I'm considering changing my look up so I don't look like the drummer from the Dresden Dolls...or maybe I should just avoid a bowler hat.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Depends on the gig, obviously. Sometimes I gotta wear the monkey suit (a tux), and on the other extreme, it could be a gig with guys who like to dress kinda white trash, or just a rock shirt and jeans or whatever, so I'll try to fit in with that too (although I usually work a bit of the below in, as well).

However, how I like to dress on stage is how I like to dress offstage, too, although I try to stay on the fancier end of that for stagewear: It's a bit hard to explain but I like things with lots of colors and patterns, I like having a lot of layers--t-shirts, button down shirts, vests, jackets, lots of period things, stuff like smoking jackets, etc. Except perhaps for the t-shirt, the lowest layer, I prefer that nothing is just a solid color, and I try to stay away from too many things that are basically black, or brown, or some "earth" or neutral color. I probably tend to look like Jimi Hendrix after being in a flower shop that exploded--"gaudy" is a good thing to me. It's kinda like Hendrix in this mode (well, minus the jewelry--things like metal or watches on my skin all the time tends to not agree with me . . . I do not wear any rings, necklaces, watches, earrings, etc.):

As I said, I dress like that offstage, too, although especially depending on the weather, it might be simpler. In the summer offstage I'll often just have on bermuda shorts, a colorful solid color t-shirt, and something like a Hawaiian shirt on top . . . plus some kind of weird tennis shoes and hat. (I almost always wear hats, too).

The other things I watch out for are too make sure that nothing is constricting my arms at all--although that's not usually a problem because I do not like tight things in general, and depending on the pants, I might do the rubber-band trick behind the kit to make sure they don't get in the way. I also only wear relatively thin-soled tennis shoes onstage--Converse work well for me (and luckily they have all kinds of crazy colors and designs now), because those are the only shoes I'm comfortable playing in. I was a barefoot player for a long time, but I finally got used to playing with shoes on.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
i'm gonna have a big fan blowing on me too.
I always have that no matter where I'm playing. I like cool to cold weather, I sweat a lot, and I wear a lot of layers. Kinda contradictory, but I like dressing a particular way. I like the way it looks and I'm comfortable in it.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:29 AM

Everybody in showbiz knows the bra has to match the panties. How we doing there "Larry"? Seriously, I hope your sense of humor is ok with this, but you did ask! Ha! Rule #2, always shop with a gay guy. They'll hook you up for the stage or screen!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

In South Florida I wear black cotton shorts with skulls and my black skull t-shirt with no sleeves and black DB shoes. If it is colder I wear jeans and a short sleeve black tee. I will change my shirt because of sweat as needed. Our keyboard player (female) dresses up nicely to offset my.....look. Jam on.

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Steelie, that's unusual garb for being in a metal band. Gutsy call lol
DMC I can only imagine what you wear. (witch doctor getup?) Can you be a little more specific?
Bo I couldn't imagine playing in a tux, ugh! Don't know how BR and those guys did that...
But you have to admit, it is cool looking when you have some really great threads on under the stage lights.
Drummers are usually hidden for the most part which kinda sucks. I think they are the most exciting player to watch, with key players being the most boring to watch (excluding the exceptions)
Andy not much gets by you lol. All this drum talk gets stale after a while, and every so often, you just need breasts to remind you of what's really important..
Corey Taylor has been known to use a Catholic priest's vest as his show get-up. I think that's pretty awesome.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 AM

Depends on how hot its gonna be.
if its gonna be warm/hot-dickies shorts.
If its gonna be cool/cold-skinny jeans.
Always-Vans Slip ons

And i always have a fan.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:26 AM

I usually just wear jeans and a t shirt. Maybe gym shorts, being in Florida.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Depends on the gig. Actually my favorite are shorts. Sorry Larry!! I just like having the freedom with no pants. On the Esteban gig the name of the game is BLACK!! but he lets me wear jeans with a black teeshirt. Sometimes I really dig playing in flip flops too.

But like I said I wear what the gig requires.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Jeans and black top all the way so far with this group, but we're yet to get going gig-wise. In pubs I'll wear a t-shirt but that's not really our domain. I use black socks too, although I've been known to wear red ones ... or just do the hippie thing and tough shit what anyone thinks :) In my experience, normally people either don't notice or laugh.

I'm considering having a Charleston dress made up for gigs where our singer decides to dress up and do the full show thing ... and it would fit the general retro vibe. Will need some pleating do the drummer spread, though.

DMC, what do you wear?

Steel, I like your style - pink tie playing metal. Nice one!

utdrummer, matching underwear? Can't remember last time I did that lol
Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Jeans and t-shirt here. Usually a black tee. Sometimes a button down shirt...untucked. You can't rock out with your shirt tucked in...

At church I'll wear dress pants, khakis, or cargo pants and a nicer shirt.

(By the way, rjvsmb...you suck! You totally beat me to that Tommy Lee pic. I was all set to post it and everything!)
Old 08-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Jeans and black top all the way so far with this group, but we're yet to get going gig-wise. In pubs I'll wear a t-shirt but that's not really our domain. I use black socks too, although I've been known to wear red ones ... or just do the hippie thing and tough shit what anyone thinks :) In my experience, normally people either don't notice or laugh.

I'm considering having a Charleston dress made up for gigs where our singer decides to dress up and do the full show thing ... and it would fit the general retro vibe. Will need some pleating do the drummer spread, though.

DMC, what do you wear?

Steel, I like your style - pink tie playing metal. Nice one!

utdrummer, matching underwear? Can't remember last time I did that lol
I like dashikis, guayabera shirts, billowy-sleeved pirate shirts, trippy bowling shirts, shirts with pinup girls on them, fancy silk shirts, Indonesian sequined vests, just about anything out of the International Male catalog. Maybe I was gay in a past life. I like the idea of a pink tie.

The audience wants to believe the musicians are exotic people. So I avoid schlub clothes like sneakers, t-shirts and jeans.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Go to Target and get some cheap jeans and T-shirts...

I always play in Chuck's, nothing else on my feet will do.
Most of the time I play in Jeans, black pants or shorts. Shirt optional, if I do have one it's a beater, black or white.

You have to dress for your gigs too, you can't have leather and spikes in a jazz group ;)
YouTube
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I like dashikis, guayabera shirts, billowy-sleeved pirate shirts, trippy bowling shirts, shirts with pinup girls on them, fancy silk shirts, Indonesian sequined vests, just about anything out of the International Male catalog. Maybe I was gay in a past life. I like the idea of a pink tie.

The audience wants to believe the musicians are exotic people. So I avoid schlub clothes like sneakers, t-shirts and jeans.
It takes a strong man to make that statement.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

I wear a kilt and a short sleeve T-shirt...

F
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Haha--my wife is very conservative (bizarre that I ended up with her maybe, although the match is very similar to my maternal grandparents), and used to frequently think that I "dressed gay". She still thinks that, but just got used to it or got tired of saying anything about it.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
Go to Target and get some cheap jeans and T-shirts...

I always play in Chuck's, nothing else on my feet will do.
Most of the time I play in Jeans, black pants or shorts. Shirt optional, if I do have one it's a beater, black or white.

You have to dress for your gigs too, you can't have leather and spikes in a jazz group ;)
Shirt optional... What are everyone's standards on being shirtless? Personally I dont think I can pull it off until I starve myself at school for another semester and get some abs.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Woz.275
This message has been deleted by Woz.275.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

I do not play shirtless ...

DMC, that sounds good! Along with your beautiful kit, I imagine your bands make an impact before you play a note.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 08-19-2010 at 04:29 AM.