DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:24 AM

Default The Greatest Jazz Record

Recently, I saw the cover of a Jazz publication (I can't remember which one). It showed Joe Lovano holding a record. For those of you who may not be familiar with him, he is the great sax player from my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. He’s a very special musician. The caption was something like "Lovano picks his favorite jazz record". The disc is an Art Blakey date called "Free For All".
I didn’t actually read the article and I have to say, that's as good a pick as any. It has everything you want in a jazz recording. It was not recorded live in concert, which, I suppose would make it even better, but it does capture some inspired performances and the spontaneity that great jazz possesses.
The players are Art Blakey on drums, Wayne Shorter on tenor, Cutis Fuller on trombone, Cedar Walton on piano, and Reggie Workman on bass.
Art Blakey is playing with such emotion, intensity, and support, that the players are reaching new heights. Jazz writer Nat Hentoff said, “It was in sum, one of those times when everything was fused for unbridled action and emotion. Spurred on by Blakey’s firebolts, the other musicians rose to a collective- as well as individual intensity, which makes this a remarkable series of performances”.
So listen to some Art Blakey for pure drive, groove, and inspiration. T.ice
Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Greatest Jazz Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Isler View Post
So listen to some Art Blakey for pure drive, groove, and inspiration.
I agree.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 07-03-2010, 09:32 AM

That's a great album. I especially love his band with Wayne Shorter on tenor sax, Lee Morgan on trumpet, and Bobby Timmons on piano.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

I've got to say that his "Night at Birdland Vol. 1" album is my favorite of his. It has the power of Blakey, the choice licks from his crew, almost the sound of a studio recording, plus the "life" of a live performance. And, the song choices are a killer selection, too!

As for the Greatest Jazz Record title, I wouldn't know where to start...so many good ones, and for so many different reasons. My favorite to listen to lately is Milt Jackson's "Sunflower".

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-03-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I've got to say that his "Night at Birdland Vol. 1" album is my favorite of his. It has the power of Blakey, the choice licks from his crew, almost the sound of a studio recording, plus the "life" of a live performance. And, the song choices are a killer selection, too!
The only thing I dislike in this album is how he plays his buzz rolls in Night In Tunisia. To me, it just doesn't fit in there. But it's just my personal opinion. And when talking about Blakey, my favourite album of his is Moanin'. Damn, I love Lee Morgan's solo in the title song.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

That's Joe Lovano on the cover of Downbeat (march '09).
And Yeah, Free For All is a must have. Blakey just drives those guys like it's nobodies business.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tune View Post
The only thing I dislike in this album is how he plays his buzz rolls in Night In Tunisia. To me, it just doesn't fit in there. But it's just my personal opinion. And when talking about Blakey, my favourite album of his is Moanin'. Damn, I love Lee Morgan's solo in the title song.
I'm with you here. I love Moanin'
Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM

I'm gonna check that album out.

My personal favorite jazz album is "bitches brew" from Miles Davis, which also has Wayne Shorter on sax and includes Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea on keys, Ron Carter on bass and Billy Cobham and Jack DeJohnette on drums. As well as several other musicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Com..._Brew_Sessions