DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What's a reasonable time to lear 40 songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZslim View Post
I saw a video of them playing Fool In The Rain. The drummer was playing eighth notes on the high hat. No half time shuffle at all. I could play it that way but it never even occurred to me to play it that way. Hmmmmmm.
That doesn't surprise me. Bonzo is revered because he had that extra finesse. If I learned that song I would play it the same way as that drummer because I'd be more solid and reliable that way. I'd feel a bit lame about it within myself but in my experience other musos usually don't notice drum nuances ... but they notice if I'm not grooving or tight.

A lot of songs learned in quick time = bare bones of the arrangements + whatever your ears tell you to do on the moment.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 07-03-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: What's a reasonable time to lear 40 songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZslim View Post
You bring up a point here. I have a tendency to try to get as many details as I can, and that does cause me to think about the part instead of the song.

For example, the singer is involved in a Zeppelin cover band. I saw a video of them playing Fool In The Rain. The drummer was playing eighth notes on the high hat. No half time shuffle at all. I could play it that way but it never even occurred to me to play it that way. Hmmmmmm.
I think you are talking about two extremes here. What you do (really learn every nuance of every part) will hold you back in situations such as this, and make it so that you can't fake your way through songs easily. What the drummer you mention did is just being too lazy. My suggestion is to listen to any song you need to learn and ask yourself the following questions:
1. What is the tempo?
2. What is the overall feel (you can be very specific or vague based on your knowledge of sub-genres, etc)?
3. Are there any breaks, special intros ("Brick House") or outros, or really famous fills (think "In The Air Tonight") that I have to learn?
4. How do the various sections vary (is there something different in the chorus, etc)?

The anwser for number 3 will usually be no, or basic (there's a break after each chorus). The answer for number 4 will usually be simple and subtle (open hats in chorus, closed in verse). You can now make your way through most cover songs pretty effectively.

Now, once you have done that, you can get back into learning the actual subtleties of the songs. I often spend hours tracking down original versions, live versions, different versions if the band had different drummers, and famous cover versions of a song, just to get ideas (since I usually put my own spin on everything, but try to keep it authentic). But even then, you'll find it's easier, because you already know the basics, so it's all relative at this point...instead of learning it all note for note, you can now just say, "Oh, wow, the drummer plays a really cool fill after the second verse, I'm going to learn it," and incorporate it into what you already know.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums