DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 AM

Default I BADLY need help revising a drum part

For one of my band's songs, I've noticed that my drum part is simple and boring. The song is located here (song starts at 0:40): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxQYK...layer_embedded
Anyway, for months I've been trying to come up with ways to improve the drum part to no avail. So, I'm asking, what would you guys play? Where would you put fills? Would you have a lot of rolls, or would they be slower fills? Please help me out, and thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: I BADLY need help revising a drum part

Maybe try doing two handed 16th notes on the hihats in the verses. Although that could be too fast I dunno.

I guess the best thing to do would be to listen to lots of music in that genre (punk?) and draw (NOT copy) from some of the beats being played there.

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Personally there's not a lot to be done here, a pop punk tune like this really calls for a driving half time feel beat. I'd defiantly add more crash to accent the chord changes though. The easy way to throw fills in is to put them at the end of the measure following the songs changes. One of my favorites lately has been to take beats 3 and 4 and play Kick-Kick Crash or whatever. Try working on your right foot's speed, It really adds a lot to a punk beat.

Hope that helps.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

For inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BpmLGGpK7k#t=4m18s, especially at the buildup at around 5:50. Find the moment where the song wants to max out ,,,
Old 07-01-2010, 01:15 AM

I like what your doing, the only thing I would do different was instead of playing the HH in the verses, I would ride the floor tom with a snare back beat (same thing your doing, just move your right hand to floor tom)...Also I would really watch the dynamics but get the whole band on board....ie...start off kicking during the intro and bring it way down during the verse, and way way up on the chorus...I think it needs more power...a hit-you-in-the-gut...kind of power in the chorus. Also with that said...ride the crash in the chorus...my two cents
Old 07-02-2010, 08:07 PM

Whats wrong with the way it is? Not much room for a whole lot more. It's a fast tempo and if you throw in a 32nd roll, might be too tight. How's your double bass? fast enough for this? if you can hammer out some 64th double bass, I would recommend. I know I can't.

BTW, great band name.
Gibraltar
Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

There's room for something. The songwriter didn't arrange anything for those big spaces at the end of each section, or the smaller ones after each line, and no one is filling them.
It's hard to make suggestions for what to play in this format, but you might make a recording of the band playing the tune without you, and practice with it. I would get real comfortable playing running 8th notes around the drums, alternating, all the way through the open spots- start them when the singer cuts off and end them at the beginning of the next line. You might try doing that all the way through the verses as well- right through the vocal part. That may not work musically in the end, but it will break you away from the time feel and help give something else a chance to happen. You'll also get a sense of the true amount of space you have to work with at the end of sections.

I would also get comfortable filling with quarter note/8th note/8th rest rhythms- open your copy of Syncopation to pp. 10-11 and 30-31 for ideas/examples. You can play them alternating or natural sticking (RH on the beat, LH on any &s), or hands together on SD/toms or SD/HH. If you want to get fancy you can put the BD in some or all of the gaps in the hand part.

Give yourself some latitude for playing a lot of stuff that sounds bad/overly stupid as you work through this- your ear/ideas will eventually help you decide on a final part, but they can also hold you back from working in new things. And don't feel obligated to keep the time feel going- you can worry about negotiating between the beat/fill later. A lot of guys find one fill that works and play it over and over throughout the song, so don't be afraid of repeating yourself.

I'm calling the rate of your ride pattern quarter notes, by the way- there seems to be some confusion about note values here.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Give yourself some latitude for playing a lot of stuff that sounds bad/overly stupid as you work through this- your ear/ideas will eventually help you decide on a final part, but they can also hold you back from working in new things. And don't feel obligated to keep the time feel going- you can worry about negotiating between the beat/fill later. A lot of guys find one fill that works and play it over and over throughout the song, so don't be afraid of repeating yourself.
This is really great advice. Sometimes it's good to just throw in all your ideas and start taking out the stuff that doesn't work, as opposed to working from simple and building it up. Best to leave the recorder running as you work this way so the good ideas don't get lost (very easy to do). I also like the idea of finding a single fill idea and repeating it at the same spot in certain passages or changes. The only other thing is that if you're going to do this during practice, best to let your bandmates in on your strategy so they don't think you've completely lost it!