DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Gold Member

Default Drum idiosyncrasies

I guess after you play a while, certain things have to be just so in order to make you feel "right" behind your kit. Without sounding too anal, here are mine....

1. I have to have all the logos at the 12 o'clock position when I look at the heads from the drivers seat.
2. I have to have the same resonant heads on all the toms, regardless of the size of the drum. For me, it allows me to tune the drums in the same manner in order to get the same type of character from each drum.
3. I have to have all my cymbals flat. If they're tilted in any way, it bugs me.
4. I have to have the logo on the front of the bass drum PERFECTLY level or else it looks like the drum is tilted a little and that bugs me. Sometimes I stare at the kit after I set up to make sure the logo looks level. I swear it seems that it moves if I walk to the left or right, but usually it's cool and looks perfect.
5. I have to have the crash cymbal on my left and my right the same height or my kit looks off balance and that bothers me.
6. I have to have the same brand of hardware for each stand. Don't know why, just something I like.
7. I have to have a coated head on my snare and one that doesn't have the coating wear off the first time it's played. I can have different batter head brands, for instance, I have clear Remo emperors on the batter of my toms with a coated Evans G2 on my snare. That doesn't bother me.

All in all, not too bad. Ho about you guys?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum idiosyncrasies

CD, I don't feel that OCD and drumming are incompatible. My advice is don't take the meds and just let it all hang out in that strange, anal way that seems to work for you :)

Very much relate to #7. Love Ambassador sounds but I play a lot of brushes and Ambassador coatings are hopeless. I have an Evans on my snare too but a friend got me an Aquarian recently (hard to find in Oz) which he says are awesome so once the Evans wears out a bit more, I'll try it out.

I have a deep and incurable cowbell fetish. If there is one nearby, I have to play it.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Rebel

Been too perfect, doesn't frustrate you?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
CD, I don't feel that OCD and drumming are incompatible. My advice is don't take the meds and just let it all hang out in that strange, anal way that seems to work for you :)

Very much relate to #7. Love Ambassador sounds but I play a lot of brushes and Ambassador coatings are hopeless. I have an Evans on my snare too but a friend got me an Aquarian recently (hard to find in Oz) which he says are awesome so once the Evans wears out a bit more, I'll try it out.

I have a deep and incurable cowbell fetish. If there is one nearby, I have to play it.
LOL.....I'm really not OC man, I swear. It's just things that I do that have become habit. Mostly, it relates to the look of my kit. I like it to look a certain way, like sitting in the drivers seat of a sports car, which makes it look cool and ready to drive. Know what I mean?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
LOL.....I'm really not OC man, I swear. It's just things that I do that have become habit. Mostly, it relates to the look of my kit. I like it to look a certain way, like sitting in the drivers seat of a sports car, which makes it look cool and ready to drive. Know what I mean?
CD (or should I say, OCD :), I don't relate to that cockpit at all. Maybe that's a boy thing?

I simply never think about logos or brands. If something annoys me, like excess wear, dirtiness or my cowbell getting in the way while playing rim clicks, then I'll do something about it.

I'm not at all systematic and my setup has evolved organically for comfort and things are always in pretty well the same place. I set up according to my mood, current fetishes etc - a bit whimsical. I fiddle, experiment and bumble a lot because I enjoy randomness ... within reason, of course :)

Not sure if that's idiosyncratic or common.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:

So if you were trapped in LP's magic room of Cowbells...?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migaluch View Post
So if you were trapped in LP's magic room of Cowbells...?
There'd be a LOT of tinkling going on!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess after you play a while, certain things have to be just so in order to make you feel "right" behind your kit. Without sounding too anal, here are mine....

1. I have to have all the logos at the 12 o'clock position when I look at the heads from the drivers seat.
4. I have to have the logo on the front of the bass drum PERFECTLY level or else it looks like the drum is tilted a little and that bugs me.
I learned to do this in the 1st drum shop I worked in. It does make a difference in the presentation of a drum set. It bugs me if I walk into a drum shop and they don't do this.

And I will do this when putting new heads on my kit. But it's not something I think about when playing.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:22 PM

I've noticed that every time a drummer (myself included) sits down at a drumset for the first time, they always have to adjust the hi-hat clutch.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 PM

All my drum head logos have to be in the perfect 12 o clock position from where I'm sitting.

I think that's the only major one.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 PM

Hmmmm....Well, my beer has to be within easy reach, but not too close, so I don't spill it.....and I also hate it when I set up in a tight area and then realize I haven't left a way out.

If I sit down and everything looks comfortable I'm good to go, but now that you've put these thoughts in my head I'll probably be a basket case from now on.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not too picky as long as everything is comfortable... but I have yet to find the perfect hihat position or the perfect spot for the right-most rack tom.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

one problem I do have is that I overtighten all my hw... stripped a memory lock lug last night.

i played guitar in high school, and one of my drummers had a horrible frankenstein, pawn shop kit. things were constantly falling off and loosening up (in the middle of practice and shows). made me paranoid about that and I can't help myself but to crank the hell out of everything with threads.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:55 AM
audiotech

The Only time everything including the cymbal's logos have to be perfectly aligned is when I'm photographing my kits. Other than that, I Never play my crash and ride cymbals perfectly flat.

Dennis
Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Rebel

Here is my addition. The drum-sticks inside the stick pouch/bag, which is hanging on the 16"x16" floor tom leg, have to be kept in line from 5A - 5B - 2B. One line is Zildjian, the other is Vic Firth......My grain of sand.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

For me... all logos on heads have to match up PERFECTLY with the drum's logo. I took me 10 mins to get my new 14" Aquarian Jack DeJohnette (Polly- that coating's never coming off!) on my snare, because I couldn't tell where the middle of the logo was. I thought of DW when that happened and how you guys would probably laugh! The snare drum can face which ever way I want, as long as the huge P-71 strainer isn't hitting me or the bass drum. My rack tom has to have the logos facing straight out (parallel to the bass drum), the floors go perpendicular to me so they face straight right. Floor tom legs go perfectly straight out from the drum they're on. Super tighten everything, I do that because my first kit (PDP FS) I borrowed a kit from somebody and didn't tighten everything, and the rack toms rubbed against the bass and scratched it up, and I feel bad about that. Oh and moongels if I ever use them go opposite of the logos on the heads. Ride and hats logos go as far away from me as possible so they are preserved.
The list goes on. The good thing is that I have a really annoying habit of doing everything on groups of four, but it doesn't transfer over to my playing. That would suck!
EDIT: I guess these are all just preferences. They're not even that important, I'd rather be playing.

Last edited by jodgey4; 06-27-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
... I don't relate to that cockpit at all. Maybe that's a boy thing?
I'm going to appreciate this innuendo for many, many years.

Hmm, let's see about my drumming neurosis:

1. All hand drums(snare and toms) are required to be at the exact same level and as parallel with the ground as possible. No exceptions.

2. All drums must be as close to each other as possible without touching

3. Hi-hats are not allowed to have "overbite".

4. Nothing can be loose. NOTHING.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

I must touch each logo on my cymbals before I play.
Plus I have to turn around completely three times before I sit down at the kit.
And I ALWAYS approach the kit from the left.

Is that weird? :-)
Old 06-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Steely, would you believe that I didn't pick up on the cockpit innuendo at all? An oversight akin to playing Honky Tonk Women without the cowbell.

Good news re: the Aquarian coating, jodgey. The Evans coating has hung in really well too. For some reason Remo coatings are brittle.

What is this thing about logos that people have?? It's just company advertising.

I would scrub off all the logos from my gear except that 1) they remind me of what I had when I need to buy replacements and 2) I don't care enough to go to the trouble. The only one that matters to me is the logo at the front of the kick drum.

I keep finding myself playing with my mouth open, as though I'm catching flies. I hate that - very unsexy.

PS. Brady, turning around 3 times before setting down sounds like a throwback to the time of your ancestors who would turn to flatten the grass before lying down. Do you get furballs too :)
Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

I always set my cymbals so that I don't hit on the logos. They will turn that way while Im playing, but I will turn them back in between songs.

I always put my drumhead logos centered on the breather hole in the drum.
I don't care where the logos are when I set up as long as they are lined up with the air holes on the drums.

I hate cymbal stands. I try to mount as many cymbals as possible on the bass drum.
I will not play a kit that has a rack set up. I don't know why! I just can't!

If one tom head becomes worn or breaks, I have to replace all of the batters on the toms.
The snare head condition doesn't matter.

My bass drum has to be exact center on my drum rug. I will spend whatever time that it takes to get this right.
It's not as simple as putting a center mark on the rug. I must do this by eye!

I am forever checking the torque on various adjusting screws on my kit in between songs.
I check different screws at random. Only the ones that I imagine are loose. They never are loose!

My snare and my floor tom have to be exactly one index finger width away from any other drum.
Both the floor tom and the snare must be as close to my bass drum leg as they can be without touching my leg.

The forward leg of my snare stand must be perfectly straight ahead. I will also take whatever time that is needed to set this right by eye.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 06-26-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
PS. Brady, turning around 3 times before setting down sounds like a throwback to the time of your ancestors who would turn to flatten the grass before lying down. Do you get furballs too :)
Only after cleaning myself, Polly...

Actually they were all jokes. Not funny ones mind you, but jokes nonetheless.

But seriously, the only idiosyncrasy I can think of is the angle of my snare. It has to be 'just so'. I angle it towards me slightly, and I can only seem to get it where I want it on a snare stand with a toothless tilter.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Gold Member

Eggman, that is so true! I guess every drummer just prefers to have a different amount of slosh in their Hihats.

I used to be very anal about cymbal angle, the way logos face and hardware brands, but its to much of a bother (and to expensive) to worry about the little things like that.

The only thing I like to have consistent, are having my hihats set low, and having the strainer on the snare between my legs. I always found that with it to the left, my hand would continually get caught under the hihats. But with it here, I can switch the snares on/off without interrupting my playing! Pics below.

-Jonathan
Attached Images

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

My new thing is I must sacrifice a live chicken before each rehearsal, and sacrifice a goat before each gig. And the chickens much be virgins, the goats not so much.
And the drums and sacrifice must be aligned at exactly a 66 degree angle from the floor tom. The Zildjian logo much be painted from the blood of the sacrifice across the back wall of where ever I set up to show my brand loyalty. I then recite a chant 6 times backwards.

Then and only then can I play.

But really, as long as my seat is at a comfortable height (which tends to be an issue since I'm 6'2") I don't care anymore where everything else is. I've player so many house kits at gigs and rehearsal places that supply the back line. I've set up my nicely aligned kit on stages where the drum riser that turned out to not be flat, or sinking in the middle which throws off my set up in ways I hadn't thought of. I just got used to it.

Don't get me wrong, I have my preferences, and I use memory locks on everything to keep my set up consistent, but over the years, I've just learned to not sweat the small stuff. Give me drums, I'll hit 'em.

I've witnessed big name players come into a situation where it wasn't their kit, or they had to share, or they just got off the plane, drove right to the venue and jumped on stage on a kit someone else set up to approximate their usual set up. And every time, the name drummer just owned that kit like an old pair of gloves. Amazing to watch. So I try to keep some of that mind set. Not that it always works for me, but I try.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Gold Member

DrumEatDrum - I think you've got it right, we as drummers need to be adaptable to the environment. If you can only get in the pocket with your perfect micro-adjusted little drum world, then I think there's something wrong. I once jammed with a guy and had nothing to play on but a guitar case. It was great!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Cool. I guess I don't have to worry about any of you folks sittin' in anywhere.
Do remember that sitting in is how you meet potential drummers to sub for, or music contractors looking for people to add to his list!

Being left-handed, you can imagine what I go through to sit in with a band, yet people have told me it sounded fine (I do not find out if they're drunk already or anything like that!).

Keep it up everybody! ;
Old 06-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

I feel really left out of this. I don't think I have any. My kit is all on a rack, so I don't have to think about setup rituals. It's the same every time out. I don't suppose a cool beer at the side of the kit is classed as an idiosyncrasy.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I don't suppose a cool beer at the side of the kit is classed as an idiosyncrasy.
No, That's called a Necessity!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, Brady coughs furballs on his snare. DED's sacrificing animals on his floor tom. Vinniewannabe shares my cowbell fetish and lack of understanding of logo mania. Andy is ... normal?

And it seems we're all thingy about our hi hat adjustments. I like my hats really close so the nearest edges (since I can never get the gap exactly even around the cymbals) is just a few millimetres.

It kind of bothers me because almost everyone I see play has a wider gap between their hats than I do ... I naturally assume that others must be somehow tapping into more of their hats' potential than I am. How far apart do others like their hats?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
"Uncle Larry"

To answer your question about hat spacings Pol, when I let up on the hh pedal, I like my top cymbal to have just enough clearance so as not hit the bottom cymbal, in case I want to ride on the top HH like my ride cymbal, FWIW.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow, Brady coughs furballs on his snare. DED's sacrificing animals on his floor tom. Vinniewannabe shares my cowbell fetish and lack of understanding of logo mania. Andy is ... normal?

And it seems we're all thingy about our hi hat adjustments. I like my hats really close so the nearest edges (since I can never get the gap exactly even around the cymbals) is just a few millimetres.

It kind of bothers me because almost everyone I see play has a wider gap between their hats than I do ... I naturally assume that others must be somehow tapping into more of their hats' potential than I am. How far apart do others like their hats?
I like a nice gap in my hats. I get a stronger chick that way. They're probably an inch or so (2-3 cm) apart.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

I always line up head logos with the badge, I always clean off cymbal logos from the top, but not the bottom, and my hi hat cymbals are pretty far apart. I usually set my hi hats by stepping on the pedal as far as it will go, lift up about a half inch, and then lock the clutch. I find not being able to get my foot to a comfortable angle when the hats are closed really bothers me.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
To answer your question about hat spacings Pol, when I let up on the hh pedal, I like my top cymbal to have just enough clearance so as not hit the bottom cymbal, in case I want to ride on the top HH like my ride cymbal, FWIW.
I do the same as Larry Polly.
I played my hats close together for years until one day a few years ago I started experimenting with them. It was when I started playing jazz with only a crash and a ride that I found that I wanted another sound source from my hats.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Take it easy vinnie,
Most of us have weird things that we do.
I first read this thread and it made me think about all of the crazy things that I do.
I payed attention to myself while playing for a few days before posting.
I didn't even realize that I did all of the things that I mentioned until I thought about it for a while.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Ah, so that's the attraction - a stronger chik and riding the top hat cleanly. Must be because my band is pretty quiet and I'm a rock stomper at heart; it's not unusual for my left foot chik to be a bit loud even with the hats close ...
Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

i switch my sticks from one hand to the other every song because i hate one stick being more worn than the other. also my skins have to have the same bounce all the time if they slacken even a bit ill tune for hours or buy new skins just to keep the same feel.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysnare View Post
i switch my sticks from one hand to the other every song because i hate one stick being more worn than the other. also my skins have to have the same bounce all the time if they slacken even a bit ill tune for hours or buy new skins just to keep the same feel.
+1 yea unbalanced wear sucks.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I feel really left out of this. I don't think I have any. My kit is all on a rack, so I don't have to think about setup rituals. It's the same every time out. I don't suppose a cool beer at the side of the kit is classed as an idiosyncrasy.
I used to think that way. I had a rack, so everything would always be in the same spot.

Then I played the world famous Whiskey in West Hollywood. And the drum riser is so old, it's not level. So my rack was no longer level, which threw everything off. And because everything was locked down with memory locks, I couldn't easily my toms and cymbals to make things level.

And then some places the drum riser (or stage) is so worn form thousands of bands, it bows in the middle, which again throws the rack off balance.

So I found that even a rack doesn't mean a consistent set up, unless there is a consistently flat place to set it up.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I used to think that way. I had a rack, so everything would always be in the same spot.

Then I played the world famous Whiskey in West Hollywood. And the drum riser is so old, it's not level. So my rack was no longer level, which threw everything off. And because everything was locked down with memory locks, I couldn't easily my toms and cymbals to make things level.

And then some places the drum riser (or stage) is so worn form thousands of bands, it bows in the middle, which again throws the rack off balance.

So I found that even a rack doesn't mean a consistent set up, unless there is a consistently flat place to set it up.
Yes + 1. I don't do memory locks because of the varying stage characteristics.
I have to empty my pockets when I play, but that's not an idiosyncrocy, my cell phone and keys get in the way on my snare hand. I found that sitting on a wallet hits a certain nerve in my gluts that is unpleasant, so all pockets empty and shoes off. Even while driving I remove the wallet.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Holy crap dude, lighten up! I was merely thinking of things that I have adopted as habits over the years. It was supposed to be a simple, semi-comical thread about little idiosyncrasies that we all have, nothing more. I play my kit brother, you can take that to the bank. Sheesh....
No, you lighten up!! Besides, I think we are the same page here.....I, like practically every drummer, has certain idiosyncrasies and rituals, as pointed out by me telling my cowbell story. It's a true story, no sarcasm whatsoever. My comment about the 3 1/2 turns on the cymbal wing nut and black-oxided cowbell screw was my attempt to be semi-comical. Maybe I touched a nerve with a few of you? Maybe you ARE staring at your drums too long and not playing them??!!?!?!?! I don't have any idea, I don't know you guys!

The point was, yeah we all have our things, but maybe in the big scheme of things, making sure the logo is not upside down on the drumhead is a detail that is not going to help us play better..it really doesn't. But it IS humourous some of the things we do to make us feel comfortable. Again, my cowbell story. I need it. I need it bad. It's like a teddy bear or something. I have issues, yes.

And to be honest...I have witnessed some crazy shit when I have had gigs with multiple bands/different drummers setting up. I mean, geez, one time I saw this guy litterally playing with his cymbal wings nuts for 15 minutes...I couldn't even believe it. Moving them back and forth, over and over again. I've seen guys buffing their cymbals on-stage while people are wating for the band to play. Holy moses. Ok, these stories may not be related to the thread, but holy shit JUST PLAY THEM FOR THE LOVE OF GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY MAKER OF HEAVEN AND EARTH FOR ALL THAT IS SEEN AND UNSEEN!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm back now. CD, This is a good humorous thread, I didnt mean to offend. But we have to keep things in perspective, myself included. If I don't bring my cowbell to the gig, somehow the sun will rise tomorrow morning. But will it???? will it????!!?? <takes deep breath> Yes vinnie, it will.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniewannabe View Post
No, you lighten up!! Besides, I think we are the same page here.....I, like practically every drummer, has certain idiosyncrasies and rituals, as pointed out by me telling my cowbell story. It's a true story, no sarcasm whatsoever. My comment about the 3 1/2 turns on the cymbal wing nut and black-oxided cowbell screw was my attempt to be semi-comical. Maybe I touched a nerve with a few of you? Maybe you ARE staring at your drums too long and not playing them??!!?!?!?! I don't have any idea, I don't know you guys!

The point was, yeah we all have our things, but maybe in the big scheme of things, making sure the logo is not upside down on the drumhead is a detail that is not going to help us play better..it really doesn't. But it IS humourous some of the things we do to make us feel comfortable. Again, my cowbell story. I need it. I need it bad. It's like a teddy bear or something. I have issues, yes.

And to be honest...I have witnessed some crazy shit when I have had gigs with multiple bands/different drummers setting up. I mean, geez, one time I saw this guy litterally playing with his cymbal wings nuts for 15 minutes...I couldn't even believe it. Moving them back and forth, over and over again. I've seen guys buffing their cymbals on-stage while people are wating for the band to play. Holy moses. Ok, these stories may not be related to the thread, but holy shit JUST PLAY THEM FOR THE LOVE OF GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY MAKER OF HEAVEN AND EARTH FOR ALL THAT IS SEEN AND UNSEEN!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm back now. CD, This is a good humorous thread, I didnt mean to offend. But we have to keep things in perspective, myself included. If I don't bring my cowbell to the gig, somehow the sun will rise tomorrow morning. But will it???? will it????!!?? <takes deep breath> Yes vinnie, it will.
It's cool man, but like you stated above, you don't know me. Believe me, I've had a very blessed 35+ year career and I have played my kit, stared at it, tore it down, changed heads a million times, gone through 6 or 7 different kits.....all of it because I dig drums. I like the way they look, the way they sound, I like tuning them and cleaning them. I have things in perspective quite well thank you and me stating some of the little weird idiosyncrasies I have was just to see if anyone else out there had a few of the same.

I realize they don't affect my playing or anything that has to with playing the drums. And yes, I could, and have, walked into a session or gig with things completely opposite of what I do or how I set up and was just fine. I don't need things to be perfect, I just prefer certain things a certain way in order to make me feel comfortable behind the kit and present myself as a professional as much as I can. That's it, no more..no less.