DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 AM

Default Re: THE TOM TUNING THREAD

How often should the res heads be changed?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Re: 14" tom tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Go low. My advice would be to just tune each drum to its natural "sweet spot" - bring the tension up until you clear wrinkling and start to get a nice solid tone. If you do that with both the 14" and 16" toms you should get a nice interval between them, while still giving you "floor tom" tone on each of them. Two floors is nice, you can do great Bonham triplet type fills.
Bonzo tuned high as hell..because he had bigger drums and used emperors. There is a tuning cd you can buy-i just try to tune the drums into themselves-so they sound good in pairs
Old 09-03-2006, 02:27 AM

Default Tuning Toms

My Premier Artist Maple kit want a bit of advice on Tuning.
Now i like the Deep tone sounds..Low down..

Iv got Remo Pinstriped Skins and have a 10 12 and 14inch Tom

Now when behind the kit the toms dont sound to bad.. could be better if im honest. but when listen from the other side they sound dead and crap.

Is it worth taken the std bottom heads off and putting REMO on there?
Its problem a tuning problem i would of thought.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Tuning Toms

Crank it up dude, small diameter like 10 and 12 sound good when the heads are tuned pretty hight. Pinestripe are thick and can sound dead easily if not tight enought. try it and i'm pretty sure you will have a good result.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:54 AM

I would have to disagree with the previous post (sorry :(

You need new resos, clear ambassador or diplomat, and you should tune the resos tighter than the batter side. I use ebony pinstripes, and my batter heads are not tuned tightly but they project and sound great.

I will agree that the smaller toms should sound higher, but you won't need to crank the head to get that sound. Just make sure your resos are tighter than your batters, and make sure you tune properly. Sometimes tuning is the underlying problem.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the replys.

Yesterday i went and got some clear ambassador and its done the trick.
I normally have tape on the toms to dampen then but it sounds like i dont need it now..
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

You don't want to put tape on your drums man, let them sing with a nice tone. People put to much emphasis on ways to tune. I get asked that question all the time. How do you tune your drums? I tune them according to the drum, most drums especially toms you will find have a place they get to tension wise that makes them sound their best. Each drum and lug is different. That stuff about having all your lugs the same tension is just a myth to me. Check out my drum solo video on my web site and you will see what I mean. There are 4 videos pick the drum solo and crank up your speakers. Check out the tom sound. And remember is use 8 10 14 16. Let me know what you think. Your drums should have balls, but have tone too.

Joe
Just my 2 cents
Old 09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris
That stuff about having all your lugs the same tension is just a myth to me.
I don't think it's a matter of having the same tension (like checking with that weird clock and that stuff). But it's definitely a matter of getting the same overtones in every lug, so that you get a clean and clear fundamental.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:58 PM

Joe those Drums sound soooo good.

Thats Exaclty how i want my Toms to sound. That sound it spot on for what i want...

I dont have any tape on the drums now, so ill see how they sound next time.

I use a 10 12 and 14 so im going to play around with it and try and get it as close to that sound as possilbe.. thats the sounds iv had in my head but getting it is another thing.

Thanks for the reply.

Wayne
Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Administrator Emeritus

You might want to check out the Tom Tuning Thread.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 PM
KARL MEMBER

I already said such a thing I remember...

look in what tension your toms are tuned, maybe they are too low tuned? Look that you get a nice sounding sound out of it, not something like a "brrr" or a "booooiiiing", also, the thing with the resonant head:
It happens very often when I sit behind a kit...I love the tom sound, but if you sit BEHIND this kit, you will mostly hear the batter heads!
then I stood in front of it and the toms sounded so horrible! so, the audience IN FRONT of your kit will mostly hear the resonant heads!
so...take care how your reso heads are tuned, I get the nicest tone if I tune my drums 2-2.5 tones higher than my batter head. experiment a bit with it...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl
I

look in what tension your toms are tuned, maybe they are too low tuned?

Karl
Thats what i was figuring, of course reso heads have to be tuned right too. I saw to often drummer who want a big fat sound with batter heads to loose. Toms have to sing so it means a certain tightness in the heads.The way i tune mine, i start with batter side to reach the best sounding i can and finish with the resos to fine tune the pitch.Like Mr Morris, i don't care if the screws are not at the same tensions.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM

Iv always tuned each lug to the sound iv tried to get not so much to the tensions.

I would of thought if you done the exact number of turns on each lug the sound could still be off?

Tho i use to have tape on the skins, which i now know was killing the sound. the Toms never had a Ringing Note a such.

Iv now taken all the tape off and will try it now.i can hear it sounding better tho when i tuned them.Have to see what they sound like on a gig now.

Wayne
Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Tuning question

Hey everyone,

Been looking at the threads and I have found a great deal of info very useful. I have a question in regards to drum tuning. I have a Gretsch kit with 14", 16" and 18" toms and I wanted to ask how I should tune the heads so that I get that traditional be-oooom sound (I know, very technical). I think it is called "Drum Lisse".

Right now the heads are Evans G1 Coated on the batter side and the same heads, only clear on the resonant side. I am switching to Remo Emperor coated heads for the batter side and Remo Ambassador coated heads on the resonant side for a warmer sound.

Any help in regards to tuning for that great sound would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Maxam
Old 11-12-2006, 02:28 AM
larlev

Default Re: Tuning question

I'm barb-quing....so I have to be brief....

What I do is tune each head to it's lowest tone/note.....then bring the reso up ever so slightly...1/8 turns max. until you get the desired tone and pitch you want....

You will experience pretty bad pitch-bend at first, but with minute adjustments...you will get what you are after...

It always works for me......
Old 11-16-2006, 03:24 AM

Thanks for your help, I will give it a try.

Maxam
Old 11-16-2006, 05:50 PM
KARL MEMBER

I would agree here. Isn`t it also called "Doppler effect"?
I sometimes also have this sound you want...and I would also tune the batter head on a very low pitch and the reso a bit higher...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:54 PM

I thought it should be the other way round. Tune both to the same note to get a standard tom sound which sustains the same note or tune the resonant head a third lower to get a beeeeooooooom rock sound?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Mapex Saturn...tuning styles?

I own a set of Mapex Saturn Studio.....I was wondering what you folks have found to be your ideal head and tuning combination.

Right now, I have EC2s on the batter side, and G1s on the resonant side. The batters are tuned 1/2 turn past wrinkled, and the resonant the same. This produces a killer low end-punchy drum that still manages to resonate...though you'd better hit them hard.
Maybe I need to tighten up the resonant head a little.

I recently changed to Superkick II and Regulator on the BD...I'll never use anything else there, but I'm thinking of trying something different on the toms.

Thanks for the input!

S.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:51 PM
fusssion

Default Re: Mapex Saturn...tuning styles?

I would think that "just past a wrinkle" on both would get too mushy.....I think you'd find a better overall response if you tightened the reso.....
Old 11-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
I would think that "just past a wrinkle" on both would get too mushy.....I think you'd find a better overall response if you tightened the reso.....
exactly..that's why they are called "resonant" heads. too loose of tuning pretty much defeats the purpose of the head "resonating".

i usually go with the "tune the bottom for tone, tune the top for tension" theory, give or take a little on both ends. just what works for me.

not to mention that tuning heads too loose and not letting the shells "sing" results in the drums getting lost in the mix sometimes because you get a big kit of "flapping heads" instead of "tonal" differences between the drums.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
exactly..that's why they are called "resonant" heads. too loose of tuning pretty much defeats the purpose of the head "resonating".

i usually go with the "tune the bottom for tone, tune the top for tension" theory, give or take a little on both ends. just what works for me.

not to mention that tuning heads too loose and not letting the shells "sing" results in the drums getting lost in the mix sometimes because you get a big kit of "flapping heads" instead of "tonal" differences between the drums.

I'm happy with the way my Saturns are tuned. If I wanted a "singing" or really bright drum sound, I'd put G1s on the batter sides, tighten them up a bit and let 'em fly. I'm not a heavy handed player, so I'm thinking the sound I'm getting has more to do with a) The Maple/Walnut shell construction, and b) The EC2 heads.

I guess it's more of a "how do you prefer your Saturns tuned" than a "please critique my tuning methods" type of thread.

The Saturns are easy to tune in many respects, but if you want to research the entire spectrum of frequencies, it takes a fair amount of tinkering.

Thanks for the input, anyway.

S.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2xlr8n View Post
I'm happy with the way my Saturns are tuned. If I wanted a "singing" or really bright drum sound, I'd put G1s on the batter sides, tighten them up a bit and let 'em fly. I'm not a heavy handed player, so I'm thinking the sound I'm getting has more to do with a) The Maple/Walnut shell construction, and b) The EC2 heads.

I guess it's more of a "how do you prefer your Saturns tuned" than a "please critique my tuning methods" type of thread.

The Saturns are easy to tune in many respects, but if you want to research the entire spectrum of frequencies, it takes a fair amount of tinkering.

Thanks for the input, anyway.

S.
definitely the walnut plies make a difference in the "boom" factor of the Saturns. i think that's why some of the metal drummers like the series.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 AM

I'm somewhat confused here. You asked about tuning methods for your Saturns then say that you like how your saturns are tuned. I'm not sure of the question but I'll try. I don't have a Saturn kit but It only took me about 15 min. to realize that I hated the EC2 heads. Some people love them but they killed the sound of my drums and your right, you have to really lay into them to get any projection at all. I went back to G2 coated batters and threw the EC2's in the trash. My Yamaha's are tuned to a med. low tuning simply because thats where they sound there best with the heads I am currently using. Hope this helps but I'm still unsure of your question.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
I'm somewhat confused here. You asked about tuning methods for your Saturns then say that you like how your saturns are tuned. I'm not sure of the question but I'll try. I don't have a Saturn kit but It only took me about 15 min. to realize that I hated the EC2 heads. Some people love them but they killed the sound of my drums and your right, you have to really lay into them to get any projection at all. I went back to G2 coated batters and threw the EC2's in the trash. My Yamaha's are tuned to a med. low tuning simply because thats where they sound there best with the heads I am currently using. Hope this helps but I'm still unsure of your question.
Thanks for your response.

Evidently, I need to be more articulate, LOL.

Method, by definition means technique or systematic procedure. I never asked for a tuning "method". Style, on the other hand, means a prevailing mode or fashion. That's what I specifcally asked for. Often words like "precision" and "accuracy" are misunderstood as well, LOL.

I was asking about folks' preferred brand/type of head used on the Saturns, and the tension placed on them, not "how" to tune them. Make sense? I like the way they sound, but I have to wail the beejezus out of them to make them really sound like I want....I'm just not that heavy-handed.

Everyone's answer helped.....okay, nickg's definition of resonance was a bit much, but I DID ask a question open to interpretation.. ; )

For what it's worth, I did tighten up the resonant G1 heads on my toms (after completely cleaning the bearing surfaces, the heads, hoops, and retuning)....the EC2s still are not my cup of tea. Believe it or not, I really thought initially the stock Remo heads sounded better with the Aquarian rings on them. I'm going to try a set of Super-2s as soon as I can get my hands on them.

Thanks everyone!

S.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2xlr8n View Post
Everyone's answer helped.....okay, nickg's definition of resonance was a bit much, but I DID ask a question open to interpretation.. ; )
see...now my definition of resonance wasn't the answer you were looking for but yet you say you "have to wail the beejezus out of them to make them really sound like I want".

too loose of tuning does have a lot to do with it because you're fighting to bring out the tone of the drum instead of letting the head and the shell do the work for you.

i hope you understand my point a little better now.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 12-01-2006, 03:20 AM

I experienced the same probs. with the EC2's, I had to tune them sooooo low to get a good tone out of them and then it was like hitting a pillow. The G2's sing out just by looking at them compared to the EC2's
Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Tama Rockstar Tuning Dilemma

Should it be extremely hard to get my Tama Rockstar's in tune? I've been using the Drum Tuning Bible technique for tuning the drums and it seriously took me about 2 hours to get 1 tom sounding decent. The size of my toms are 12", 13", 14", 16", then a 22" bass drum. On all of those drums I use Evans Hydraulic for batter and G1s for the resonant head. Also, while i'm tuning them it seems like the lugs are all sorts of uneven and it is extremely, extremely hard (sometimes impossible) to get an even tone out of one of the heads. I usually just give up and cry and my drums still sound like crap.

I'm not sure if it's just a Tama Rockstar thing, or if it is me. Both seem like logical choices to me :). My snare is a DW collector's brass snare, and I've had no problem making that puppy sound beautiful

Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Tama Rockstar Tuning Dilemma

I have two sets of Tama's, all I do is get the bottom where I like the "ring" to be, and bring the top a little past wrinkle and tweak it from there, seems to work for that fat rock sound...........
Old 12-01-2006, 07:39 PM

What kind of heads do you use to get the good sound? Also, do you do the bass the same way?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:39 PM

Get a Drumdial and loose the hydraulics. Just kidding on the heads, I just like to hear my drums sing not choke. As for the drumdial they are quite good in getting your heads tuned and from there you can tweak the heads by ear.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

My first advice would be "get rid of those hydraulic heads" and get something like REMO ambassador or Emperor, EVANS G1 or G2 or AQUARIAN Classic clear / satin finish texture coated or Response II then you'll be able to get and achieve the sound you're after.

Drum are made to sing so let them be what they are...

Try your 14" hydraulic head on your DW snare for fun and hear if you like the sound ;-)

Tuning help here -> http://www.videodrumlessons.com/t1.htm

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-01-2006, 08:37 PM

I don't really want a lot of "ring" to my drums. I guess I could always use some Moongel if needed.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. As of the last few days, I've been putting a lot of thought into the hydraulics and how they might be the cause of my problems.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreLogo View Post
bring the top a little past wrinkle and tweak it from there
When you do this, do you make sure all of the lugs are right about the same pitch?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldak View Post
When you do this, do you make sure all of the lugs are right about the same pitch?
i tune the same way - and yeah you gotta make sure the lugs are about the same pitch...

i the same set as you. you can hear them recorded on my myspace. i think they sound great. evans ec2's and an emad on the bass - which i really like.

i don't find them very hard at all to tune. I used to but i got this and it helped me no end.....

hope this helps
Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM

I've watched tons of videos on tuning, I've got the concept down quite a bit. I do need to work on being able to tell which pitch is higher and which is lower to help me get all the lugs right at about the same pitch. I guess i'm partially tone deaf. I'm also wondering if the Hydraulic heads are making it hard for me to get all of the rods tightened to about the same pitch....who knows.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldak View Post
I don't really want a lot of "ring" to my drums. I guess I could always use some Moongel if needed.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. As of the last few days, I've been putting a lot of thought into the hydraulics and how they might be the cause of my problems.
There's a whole lot of difference between "ring" and "resonance"...

And yeah, hydraulics may sure be the source of your problems. Dont forget that phil. mahogany is a soft wood, softer than birch and maple and you need a thinner or lighter head to make your toms resonate at their shell resonance point.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-01-2006, 11:05 PM

ahh...awesome bit of information there man. I didn't really know too much of the type of wood used in the Rockstars until very recently. When I get some money saved up, I'll definitely get some thinner heads, hopefully that would help out my sound.

As they sound right now...their is a lot 'resonance' with the one drum I have tuned to sounding decent.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:36 AM

Rockstars are Basswood not Mahogany. I had a Rockstar kit some years ago and they tuned well with the included pinstripes.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 AM

Aren't they a mixture of Basswood and Mahogany?