DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Middle aged bands. How should they dress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Do you all see what I am talking about?
Yes.

I play in a hard rock/metal band, the members of which are all around 50 years old. It's appropriate for us to wear T-shirts and jeans onstage (or shorts, which is what a lot of people here wear, on and off stage) ONLY because of our style of music. So the other guys usually wear a rock T with jeans. I prefer to dress up slightly. Not too much, because I sweat a LOT when I play and also move around a lot. I wear jeans and a nicer-than-a-T-shirt shirt, or a kilt with a sleeveless, loose shirt, or something along those lines. In my avatar pic, I'm wearing a kilt with a T-shirt with the sleeves cut off, because I can't thrash in sleeves. :-D

If I were in any other kind of band, I would expect us all to dress better. How much better would depend on the type of music, the venue, and the occasion.

Women older than 25 generally don't look good in T-shirts, especially if they have any excess gut flab at all, which I do (shut up — it's coming off!). Same goes for fat older guys. It's sloppy and looks like crap, and the material accentuates every bit of flab on your upper body. But even if you're not "fat," a T-shirt just doesn't look as good on an older person. It's boring, for one thing.

The woman (mandolin player, I think?) in the earlier photo would look a lot better in something more structured, as would the male keyboard player in the photo a few posts above this one. "Slightly more structured than a T-shirt" doesn't mean "tuxedo/morning coat/suit of armor." The keyboard player looks like he was collecting recyclables from the trash bins and wandered onstage by mistake.

People are paying you for a performance. If you have no respect for your audience, then by all means, dress like you're still in elementary school.

Besides, people generally feel better about themselves if they know they look good. If you feel better about yourself, you'll play better.

Last edited by Nancy_C; 06-02-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: It's not all about being overweight
Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
It has been brought back to life because it needs Magenta's input on the topic.
And just for you, here is my input:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsits View Post
Here's the look I was going for:

That looks remarkably and gratifyingly like my new frock. I KNEW long golden hair was a good look to go with it, too, but my stylist has made me go for brown. I may ignore her.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 06-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Here is a gig pic from a few years ago of me and a percussionist/ harp player that I work with from time to time.
Notice that our clothes are not worn or faded. Our shirts also have collars.
You look like a darts player
Old 06-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Is it safe to assume that with a name like "Boplicity" that you're playing jazz? And that's why there's nobody there watching? Or is the audience being kept way back because they're just going nuts?

Love ya' Bob!
Yes we were playing Jazz. There were about 80 people there. That is the average size audience that that Town park draws for their town sponsored concerts that they hold every few weeks during the summer. The people tend to sit back and picnic on the grass as they watch.

+1 Nancy, there comes a time in your life when you have to realize that you don't have a youthful appearance on your side and you need some help from clothes.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Gold Member

We are an aging covers band with an absolutely gorgeous young female singer. She dresses up for every gig. She looks very cool and sexy. I don't think anyone notices the rest of the band. But we tend to do the black trousers and white, black or patterned shirt.

Good question BTW - it is good to dress up a bit. Makes it more of an occasion.
Davo
Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Renegade

Bob, definitely a fashion faux pas - funny photo :) The Hawaiian shirts have issues too, so we can't load it all on Mr Moccasin on the keys. But whattheheck, nothing's perfect, and if the music's good, well, that's a lot better than a slap in the eye with a wet fish. Like ... he could have been wearing long socks as well ...

I tend to be grateful that minor screwups aren't major ones. Murphy's Law is everywhere. We cannot escape Murphy, whether he manifests as bad weather, a forgotten item, faulty electrics, unsafe or dirty playing surface, maniacal stakeholders, a car breakdown, or a wardrobe malfunction.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Ya know Grea, I'm not a big fan of Hawaiian shirts either. They work well if you are playing at a beech area. If you notice I selected a patterned shirt for that gig.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 PM

Hi all,

I always try to dress with comfort in mind first, and I have done that as a kid and now. I love wearing Bike Jerseys, because I sweat like a pig for some reason, and they keep me from getting sick after 3 hours of clobbering the drums.

I have Plain black ones for low key stuff and wild ones for fun gigs.

Just my 2 cents :)

PS. I have seen other guys up playing in a suit and a tie, which I cannot do for any reason!

DM
N&C
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andissarian View Post
Hi all,

I always try to dress with comfort in mind first, and I have done that as a kid and now. I love wearing Bike Jerseys, because I sweat like a pig for some reason, and they keep me from getting sick after 3 hours of clobbering the drums.
I'll bet the pockets in the back come in handy too.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Pfft... Some of you are far too casual:

Full disclosure: My band playing an 80's Prom party a few years ago. (For non-North Americans, Prom is a high school formal dance.)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Nothing was more interesting to me than seeing a punk band come through Nashville to one of our DIY spots with four 20-something year-olds and one 50 year-old man. He wore shorts and a t-shirt with some tennis shoes and rocked harder than anyone that night.

A big part of that was the kind of show it was, but I'm an advocate for fitting the kind of music you're playing. Other than that, be comfortable and be yourself. I came into my music scene at the age of 15 and people of all ages put a huge emphasis on clothing and I remember it making me really self-conscious. So for you middle-aged rockers, just do you.

less is more
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeterbeater View Post
So for you middle-aged rockers, just do you.
I keep telling guys that, but it doesn't work as well it used to.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

At 59 I still follow the concept that you should be able to tell the entertainer from the audience. Or at least most of the audience. At 59, skinny jeans and tight t-shirts are out anyway. Since a drummer is backline, basic black always works. Bowling shirts for blues gigs ;-) although some blues cats I play with get into pretty fancy suits and shoes.

But absolutely, never, ever, shorts, sandals and Hawaiian shirts. Evar. That is so middle age backyard band. Have some pride, present yourself like a professional, even if you're not. You may find yourself living up to it.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_C View Post
Pfft... Some of you are far too casual:

Full disclosure: My band playing an 80's Prom party a few years ago. (For non-North Americans, Prom is a high school formal dance.)
Hmmmm, Boutique amps, DW kit, Suhr guitars, and PEAVEY monitors :-o And what is the audience probably paying attention to? Most likely the singing.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. The most important part of the show gets the short end. Quality PA is expensive, and not much fun unless you're a total sound geek. But it's what the audience remembers.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Hmmmm, Boutique amps, DW kit, Suhr guitars, and PEAVEY monitors :-o And what is the audience probably paying attention to? Most likely the singing.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. The most important part of the show gets the short end. Quality PA is expensive, and not much fun unless you're a total sound geek. But it's what the audience remembers.
In the interest of more disclosure... It's not as good as it looks but apparently we sell ourselves well.

We're a very low budget operation. We're all university friends spead over the state of Michigan. We only play a gig or two a year at parties thrown by freinds. The drummer does have a more regular bar gig once or twice a month with another band in his home town.

Boutique amps: Bless you. They're actually amps I built. The red stack on the left is two 5 watt JCM800 clones. The red wood grained amp in the center is a Ampeg B15N clone. My purple amp on the left is a 5 watt Ken Fisher Trainwreck clone.

DW kit: The drummer's life long, holy grail kit. He finally bought it a couple years ago after playing his childhood kit for 30+ years. Interestingly enough, I'd rate him as the best musician in the band.

Suhr guitars: Naw... The fellow on the left is playing Peavey. I'm playing a Godin.

Peavey monitors: A borrowed PA. I own a PA but it's not even as nice as this Peavey. :^(
Old 06-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsits View Post
I'll bet the pockets in the back come in handy too.

You know, they DO come in handy!! I have drum keys, water bottle, etc in them!! I forgot about that added bonus!!

:)

DM
N&C
Old 06-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Just an example of one of my crazier ones, LOL

DM
N&C
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2014, 12:23 AM

The other day, a guitarist friend was giving another a hard time about wearing white sneakers at a bar gig. He said, "When you're playing a blues gig, ask yourself: 'Would Freddie King wear this?'"

Regardless of age, I've always determined what was appropriate based on the venue/audience first, and the music second. Right or wrong, to the audience, how you look affects how you sound. So dress appropriately and try not to look bored. If you're not into the music, why should they be?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:20 AM
Gold Member

shorts... just shorts
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
The other day, a guitarist friend was giving another a hard time about wearing white sneakers at a bar gig.
What was he wearing? Just curious....

Never wear sandals.... the bathroom's have too much piss on the floor.

Which is yet another reason why I don't play bars any longer.... my last band thought I was kidding when I told them I wouldn't work a bar ever again. They asked why and I went off on a 10 item rant as to why. That's only one of the reasons. They didn't believe me & booked into a bar ... I played the gig and then departed.

Why?

Bar gigs might be for some folks, but they ain't for me. There are too many other nice venues and events to perform at. The money is better elsewhere and your clothes and equipment doesn't reek afterwards (sometimes for weeks).

Last edited by GeoB; 06-17-2014 at 03:39 AM. Reason: lapsus calumni