DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Middle aged bands. How should they dress?

More priceless posts! I love you guys!
Lets talk more about the promotion standpoint. I'm talking selling your middle aged act to the average club. How should you appear in pics on your site or vids that are in your press kit?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:59 AM

Black dress pants, black LONG SLEEVED dress shirt tucked in, Black shoes, TA DA!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Lets talk more about the promotion standpoint. I'm talking selling your middle aged act to the average club. How should you appear in pics on your site or vids that are in your press kit?
Ah, now that's an entirely different matter. With anything that is recorded / frozen time you need to put your best foot forward. So the band needs to scrub up much better than usual.

False advertising? Nup, that's marketing. It's like job applicants' resumes. Almost NO ONE is as good as they seem on their resume. NO ONE is as good as their profle on a dating website.

It's like those pictures of Big Macs in McDonalds. There's always this generous bed of lettuce. When you get the actual burger you find a few limp strands of lettuce hidden under the meat. That's marketing.

Promotion is selling a fantasy. One might also say it's lying but since everyone does it, you're at a disadvantage if you don't. That's the game.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Bob,

You are thinking right b/c you always want to present yourself in a manner which says, "I care about what I look like." My question is can you find out what some of the other, maybe more successful bands in you genre, are wearing?

It is a simple fact that how you look is almost as important as how well you play. One comment was made about dressing above the clientelle of the bar - good advice. The hardsell is getting the other members to realize what you have already come to know; it is also in the presentation.

I have played in several "wig" bands; these are bands like Metal Shop and Superfreak, where the band not only played the explicit or implied genres, they look the part! So I have wardrobes for those bands. One gig I might wear a wig which makes me look as if I have solen Dee Snyder's hair. See my Facebook photos for the example of this. One band I played, we always wore black no matter where the gig was.

There is a certain expectation in peoples' minds as to what bands in certain genres look like. Go to a Bluegrass festival and see what the headliners wear.

Right now, I usually show up in nice jeans (or what some might call very nice jeans) and a graphic T-shirt (these usually are expensive) as women in the audience usually judge by how nice your clothes are and if they are getting to shake their booty or not. On my soul gig, we wear black and I wear a black suit.

I mean the thing thing which you have figured out is that you do have to care how you look, even if it is only for the photo on your website. What I am not hearing you say is "Hey guys, we all need to look like we are in our twenties." You are just trying to clean up the presentation some so that an interested party might desire you to play at their wedding and having the confidence that your bass player won't show up looking like he just changed the oil in his car, unless that's what they want.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Old 12-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks arthurk1, Pollyanna, and Skitch.
Promotion was the angle that was on my mind when I suggested the image changes for the band. When you are playing at a festival where people are camping out, tee shirts, ripped jeans, and shorts are fine. Even when you are playing at a "dive" the above attire is OK.

This band said that they wanted to get gigs. They don't book many club dates. I looked at how Contemporary Country bands are promoted. They use clothes and sex appeal to the max! I also looked at the fact that there are several other similar bands to this band that they are competing with.
I explained to the band members that when you play a "good club" the rules change. People in a high end club are a different patron than that of a dive. Some of these folks are still dressed from their office jobs. Some are business people that are out with friends and clients. They are buying $12 drinks! They expect more.

The members of the band viewed it as "selling out" They just didn't get it!
I intended to market this new web site and press kit to the higher end clubs only. I still intended to keep the old web site the same for the old fans. I was going to have them live in two worlds.

Well, I guess that this band will stay where they are.
My other band will get the higher gigs. The other band that I play in only plays corporate gigs and private parties. Every now and then we play a good club just for fun.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Gold Member

First off; I hope your female member of the group does not access this site.
Presently I am in a similar situation as far as age and low key style of music and we are getting ready for our first gig in January, it pays to look nice so everyone will dress the way they like but no blue jeans and since no one has ever worn a t-shirt to rehearsal I expect that would not be an issue either. Myself I just wear a comfortable casual shirt or polo style top with Dockers, comfortable socks and clean air walks or rebook style of shoes. That seems to be the proper way to go since looking professional never hurts.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:12 AM

No white sneakers (unless you're playing hip-hop).
Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Hi, for me being a 57 year old newbie drummer the question of image was never a big concern, but I have given it a brief thought just in case I ever get good enough to play at weddings.
great musicians can look/dress anyway they like. Some wear very little clothing. Some wear shorts and some could even undress on stage to the delight of their fans.
I was thinking that shaving my hair and remove the traces of bolding scalp would be a good start. A temporary earring could also help the immage (a friend suggested). Sunglasses or cool looking glasses or hats could be useful props. At a wedding though, a tuxedo or at the least a white shirt and tie at a minimum.
A dress code is as everywhere a signal that reflects respect. The image of affluence, sophistication,freedom and reckless abandonment depending on the situation. So, gauging the appropriateness of the moment is the key to success.

Last edited by jazzkidding; 12-19-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzkidding View Post
I was thinking that shaving my hair and remove the traces of bolding scalp would be a good start. A temporary earing could also help the immage (a friend suggested). Sunglasses or cool looking glasses or hats could be useful props.
I was in a band with some people from work in the 90s and our singer/guitarist was prematurely balding. However, with a shaved head, goatee and earring and all the girls at work thought he was hot stuff. Me too :)
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 PM

Like this. this message is too short
Attached Images

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I was in a band with some people from work in the 90s and our singer/guitarist was prematurely balding. However, with a shaved head, goatee and earring and all the girls at work thought he was hot stuff. Me too :)
OK, So I should shave my head, grow facial hair, and put jewelry in my ear! The glistening earring may scare the deer away before I shoot them! I may starve to death!
Old 12-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Like this. You will get all the ladys(and probably some dudes too). From the movie Zardoz with Sean Connery.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
OK, So I should shave my head, grow facial hair, and put jewelry in my ear! The glistening earring may scare the deer away before I shoot them! I may starve to death!
Bob, not just any facial hair. It has to be a goatee.

It looks like the earring will have multiple purposes. It will help some deers have longer and happier lives AND you'll lose weight and become even more of a devastating hunk once you've had your makeover :)

I would not recommend Thaard's outfit ...
Old 12-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Thaard, that is the funniest thing that I have ever seen! No, I don't want to rent the movie! I'm brave, but I'm not that brave.
Polly, The reasons that I shoot deer. Yes, I like the meat. The real reason is to prevent me from shooting my bass players.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

I think all middle aged musicians should dress like William Burroughs.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post

i think you are dead on, on that one... ill cite more examples..

and

(my and messed up)

Last edited by matt949; 12-20-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Any recommendations for middle aged women? Bear in mind that I wear pants when playing. The William Burroughs look - elegant as it is - won't work for me, nor will The Stones's dash, nor Cher's and Tina Turner's exposure of cellulite-free body parts.

But Bob, you'll lose weight by sending a few well aimed shots into your bassist instead of the deer PLUS ... when he next limps on stage he'll be trying much harder to please you :)
Old 12-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post

I like the look! I think that I would get a bit warm in the three piece. (Or should I count the gun and say four piece) I do always carry a gun or two. I always have. I always will!
The 44 magnum is always my first choice. I also like a 9mm as a back up.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Any recommendations for middle aged women? Bear in mind that I wear pants when playing.
My wife wears pants almost exclusively and she looks very hip. She's middle aged I guess. Forty two is middle aged, right? (She's young compared to me!)

She gets her clothes from some catalog, I can't remember which one. It's very "edgy," whatever that means. Really funky tops and belts and jackets and all the trimmings. Damn, I can't think of the name.

She snuck off uptown to Bloomingdale's last summer when I wasn't looking and picked up a lot of great-looking clothes. She spends too much on the stuff, I'll tell you that.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

I think that it is time to post a pic of our beloved Beth to illustrate why a make over is in order.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Ah, I see what you mean, Bob. That's the having-a-jam-in-the-lounge-room look. Yeah, that's not good enough for most venues.

Con, it sounds like your wife has style. I'm a slacker - just t-shirts, tank tops, jeans or shorts. I have a black beaded top I bought second-hand, black slacks and black flat shoes for gigs where I need to look presentable.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean, Bob. That's the having-a-jam-in-the-lounge-room look. Yeah, that's not good enough for most venues.
See what I mean!
I wasn't only singling out Beth, I thought that the whole band should think about a slight upgrade to their appearance. I presented it to them that way.
All of them instantly objected.
They complained that they don't get many gigs. I figured that it was worth a try to promote the band in a different way. I think that sometimes people stand in their own way.
You wouldn't go to even a low paying job interview dressed way down. Why shouldn't you present your band to a potential club owner as if it was a job interview?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

I dont mean to get off topic, this thread sounds like the old people forum. I am forty I will not consider myself middle adged, does not compute in my mind. Music makes me feel young and keeps my brain sharp. Of course I do not have anymore hair, I think it looks better than the mullet I had in the 80s. I already gave opinion on how to dress on this thread. We are not a bunch of out of shape half ass have beens. We have been in the music business forever, We got wisdom and have seen it all, from dive bars to the house of blues and back again. I bet most of the bands we play in are very good. Just because we are 40 or 50 years old does not mean we could not smoke some 18 year old punk who knows it all. Sorry for the rant, 41 is coming in two weeks. Happy holidays fellow drummers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 12-20-2009, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdog View Post
I dont mean to get off topic, this thread sounds like the old people forum. I am forty I will not consider myself middle adged, does not compute in my mind.
That's because 40 is young!.

The 40s were the happiest years of my life. But just this year all the chickens are coming home to roost.

I used to hardly get sick or have pains at all - almost bulletproof. This year almost every day I've had at least one of these: women's problems, back pain, leg pain, foot pain, hand pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, digestive system malfunctions ... and the mirror has stopped giving me good feedback. Plus I lost a friend to cancer and my sister is currently battling cancer.

I'm pretty sure that some people have a whale of a time in their 50s but my introduction to the decade has been sobering, to say the least ...
Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 AM
Gold Member

Again, Bob, looking at those pics just fortifies what my thought process was from the start. You have someone who is probably not very comfortable with their look. Bringing a focus to that, even if you are doing it for the right reason (which, clearly, you are), might be painful for her, and thus cause her to react in a negative way. Honestly, while there is a lot that she could do to make herself more presentable, she is probably a person who realizes that her looks aren't going to get her very far. Calling attention to that can not make her feel good.

I get what you are trying to accomplish, and I think that you are right, by and large. However, I would not be surprised if you are touching a far more sensitive nerve than you realize. Some people (and I am one to an extent, so I know what I'm talking about) have real sensitivity about their looks, and can be irrational because of it.

My suggestion to you would be to try to convince them to dress a little better for one photoshoot, and then use that for promotional materials. It may help them see the light, or you may just be dealing with years of emotional issues that your opinion, more gigs, and even a psychologist couldn't work through any time soon.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

mrchattr, I believe that you are right. I dropped the idea. I told them that the band would continue just as it is. They seem content with that.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think that it is time to post a pic of our beloved Beth to illustrate why a make over is in order.
A "make over is in order?" So that's what this is all about?

So you think that...it'll get you more or better gigs...

Sorry, mate. That's...

You know, I just can't bring myself to say it.

Sexist?

Shame on you for putting those pictures up without, no doubt, Beth's consent. Man!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

con struct, The image change was the first step in a plan that I wanted to implement that also involved changes in the musical set list along with some gear changes. I thought that it was a starting point.
Remember, I was asked by a member to try and get more gigs. I was simply organizing a business plan in stages.
Like I said, I dropped the concept with that band.
I am applying it to another band that I play in where the members are more receptive to change. So far the results have been favorable with that band.
Like it or not, music is a business. Presentation is an important part of music.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 12-20-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:54 PM
The Old Hyde

Trying to search for stage attire ideas and came across this thread.

My band just landed a corporate gig and was wondering what to wear. I think its an outdoor gig, they just had Lenny Kravits play ( they are in for a big letdown with us!!!). I wish I had a "look" like a rockstar but I don't. any ideas, polo shirts and shorts? I have a really cool Lucky 13 workshirt I was thinking of wearing with jeans.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I am 60 and the elder of the band is 66, youngest is 53. For our indoor gigs we have matching dress shirts with black pants. As the weight has increased on most of us we wear the shirts untucked, sort of a Soprano's look. Works for us.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Are you kidding? Hot Topic all the way man! ;)

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 05-30-2014, 06:28 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRayDrums View Post
Are you kidding? Hot Topic all the way man! ;)
Thanks for that!!!! now to spend....
Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Most gigs I get are jeans, slacks, or dark suit. I played a country gig for
six months decades ago and wore a country shirt and jeans for that. I tend not to like
band uniforms but do like that everyone is at least on the same page.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Administrator - Mayor

For middle age I am thinking, extremely long hair, no shirt but 50 or more tattoos, jeans full of holes, baseball hat on backward, everything pierced with looping chains connecting them . That's the singer . Now for the drummer, skinny jeans, converse all stars, vest no shirt , real heavy boots, 10 rings and eye make up
Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

loose cotton cargo pants
loose cotton shirt

Haircuts
trimmed facial hair (if any)

Shoes (whatever doesn't hurt your feet)
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Corporate?
To me means dress pants, nice collared shirt, dress shoes - at very least. Ties and jackets too.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

I do the Steve Jobs thing- Comfortable jeans, black T-shirt. If it's a corporate thing then I wear all-black.

I will not ever put on a tux. It's not gonna happen.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

mind you, one wonders what 'corporate' means now. The CEO of Facebook wears hoodies.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

We endured "RUSH-Fu" and "YES-Capes"..all with copious sequins and gender identifying form fit...I DEFY people to stoop lower! ; )

I thinks its irrelevant...unlike the music that often takes a back seat to fashion.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

Fortunately,camo shorts and a Motorhead shirt are perfect for any gig I might play. :)