DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Appeal for Leo, our drummer friend in Cuba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
Glad to help. I'll get it to the post in the morning.
Superb, a big thank you, KIS.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:21 PM

I had some family issues come up and couldn't make it to the post yesterday, but I got it mailed today. I've shipped tons of stuff to Canada and it should get there in time unless Customs "loses" it for a while. It's somewhat trackable using the customs slip #, which is LC233824028US
Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
Processed, $100 USD from Moldy, equates to 103.46 whan converted to CAD.

KIS - $200 CAD
Jer - $35.66 CAD
Moldy - $103.46 CAD

Total = $339.12 CAD
haha i remember when americans used to be very smug about how much the USD was worth compared to the CAD. Not anymore it seems lol. Really sorry about not giving a donation, i've just got a new bank account and i need a debit card before i can use it with paypal.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Hi guys, sorry I've been out of the loop for the last few days but my mother has just suffered a massive stroke. I've been at her bedside 24/7. Let's let this run for another day or so then we'll have to wrap it up to meet the gear delivery deadline of the 1st. I'll contact Leo shortly to get his priorities and we'll take it from there. If there's no more donations forthcoming (disappointing) then I'll top the fund up to a reasonable amount. Got to go back to the hospital now (140 miles away), I'll be back in the loop as soon as I can. Jer, would you kindly check what double pedal deals you can get locally please. A vendor who's prepared to ship directly to Flexmaster in Richmond Hill might be a good idea to save time. They'll need to be items that are off the shelf though. Thanks, Andy.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Quick look at some pricing, within our current range, looking at the following:

DW:

4000/4002

Gibraltar:

Pearl:

Power shift

Tama:

Rockstar Chain
HP200-TWB

Again, just a quick look.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks jer, I'll get that detail to Leo. Would be great to get him a couple of cymbals. If there's no further donations, I'll make that happen. Thanks again for your help. I'll get back to you soon but I'm having to judge some serious family issues at the same time.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

KIS, Leo has been in touch with me directly, we are looking at the Gibraltar 6600 - http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/861/

From L&M's, with taxes, should be $299.

I'll get in touch with them to check stock, I'll call around to see if I can beat that price as well.

We will for sure need more $$ if we are to hook Leo up with cymbals. If further donations are to be made, they pretty much need to happen asap - there is a few day wait on the paypal processing. Although, if I know there is more money coming in, I can cover the difference until it is processed.

KIS, thanks for keeping up on this with your priorities at hand, I wish your family the best.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
KIS, Leo has been in touch with me directly, we are looking at the Gibraltar 6600 - http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/861/

From L&M's, with taxes, should be $299.

I'll get in touch with them to check stock, I'll call around to see if I can beat that price as well.

We will for sure need more $$ if we are to hook Leo up with cymbals. If further donations are to be made, they pretty much need to happen asap - there is a few day wait on the paypal processing. Although, if I know there is more money coming in, I can cover the difference until it is processed.

KIS, thanks for keeping up on this with your priorities at hand, I wish your family the best.
Hi jer, I got the mail too. I asked Leo if he would like say 2 high end cymbals or a selection of medium stuff. He says medium is better because he doesn't have any cymbals really. He identified Sabian B8's as a contender. I've used these in the past and they're great for the money & will withstand a bit of metal thrashing. I would appreciate it if you could check around for prices on a pre packed set (you know, the usual ride, hats, 2 x crashes type deal). Let me know how much the set is & how short we are in total & I'll send the difference immediately to you via Paypal. We need to get the stuff to flexmaster in Richmond Hill by this coming Monday 31st latest so not much time. Remember to include delivery costs in your total so we're not short on funds. Perhaps the best thing to do at this stage is to get the vendors to send directly to Flexmaster unless you think otherwise. I've spoken to the Flexmaster people and they're expecting stuff to arrive and Leo's friend to pick up December 1st. Thanks again my friend, Andy.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 PM

You should consider a Pearl P902 double pedal... it's a solid piece of gear, nothing fancy, but works pretty good... and it's $169.99 at Sam Ash.
Morgan Rose snare
Old 11-26-2009, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Choppers View Post
You should consider a Pearl P902 double pedal... it's a solid piece of gear, nothing fancy, but works pretty good... and it's $169.99 at Sam Ash.
No Sam Ash here, thanks though.

KIS - B8 pack with 14" and 16" crash... http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/4689/
Old 11-26-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
No Sam Ash here, thanks though.
Here it is on the website you've been linking.
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6819/
Morgan Rose snare
Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Hi jer, things going very badly at my end. It's going to be difficult for me to get online over the next few days. Thanks for looking up the B8 pack. If we had more time I'd look for something a bit more inspirational like Mural Diril (superb) but we are where we are now. Thanks for the Pearl suggestion Mr. Choppers but I think we'll go with Leo's choice. Ok, jer, I've just transferred $300 Can to your paypal account. I'm hoping that will cover the cymbals, pedal plus some left over for delivery charges. I'd be very grateful if you could buy the stuff & get it delivered directly to Flexmaster. Please remember to ask all vendors to mark each package "appeal for Leo, attn: Melinda Donnelly". Very important so the packages are identified and placed to one side within Flexmaster. I'll be back on line before Monday to arrange contacts for Leo's friend within Flexmaster. We need to get all the stuff to Flexmaster by Monday 30th latest for Leo's friend to pick up on Dec 1st. Thanks again my friend, Andy.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 AM
eddiehimself
This message has been deleted by eddiehimself.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Hi jer, things going very badly at my end. It's going to be difficult for me to get online over the next few days. Thanks for looking up the B8 pack. If we had more time I'd look for something a bit more inspirational like Mural Diril (superb) but we are where we are now. Thanks for the Pearl suggestion Mr. Choppers but I think we'll go with Leo's choice. Ok, jer, I've just transferred $300 Can to your paypal account. I'm hoping that will cover the cymbals, pedal plus some left over for delivery charges. I'd be very grateful if you could buy the stuff & get it delivered directly to Flexmaster. Please remember to ask all vendors to mark each package "appeal for Leo, attn: Melinda Donnelly". Very important so the packages are identified and placed to one side within Flexmaster. I'll be back on line before Monday to arrange contacts for Leo's friend within Flexmaster. We need to get all the stuff to Flexmaster by Monday 30th latest for Leo's friend to pick up on Dec 1st. Thanks again my friend, Andy.
Check, check and double check. I'll see if they have anything above the B8's, will pitch the cause and see if I get any love.

I'll be out for most of the day, I should return with some pics, receipts and shipping confirmation.

Jer.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

KIS - $200 CAD
Jer - $35.66 CAD
Moldy - $103.46 CAD
Davidr - $15.36 CAD
KIS - $300 CAD

Total = $654.48
Old 11-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Just got back from shopping, forgot to take my camera with me - but they are just boxes, not so exciting.

The Gibraltar 6600 was the older model Leo requested I not get, instead, I got the DW 7002's. ($280)

Also picked up a Sabian B8 performance pack, 14" hats, 20" ride, 14" and 16" crashes, t-shirt, tuning key and dvd). ($285)

The cymbals came with a $20 gift card that I applied to the pedals (hence 2 receipts).

Grand total of $618.45 with taxes.

The package is with a former employer of mine, who get great shipping rates, will be sent FedEx tonight to arrive tomorrow. (about $20). I've also included the receipts incase they are needed for customs, etc.

So, I'll have about $16 left over, KIS' discretion as to what to do with that?

Hope this isn't too big:

Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

Get $16 worth of coffee for a job well done?

:^)
Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

You could get a pair of sticks or 2?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 11-28-2009, 01:01 AM

Since KIS (and jer) put in so much, anyone who still wants to help out could still put in and pay a bit back to him . I'll kick off with $20CAD. Join the KIS appeal...
Old 11-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Cheers EH, whatever you can manage is a great help. Anyhow, what's wrong with DW5000's? I use 'em & they work just fine for me. Thinking about it though, my needs are quite simple and I don't do 999BPM! Thanks for your support, KIS.
I agree!! There's nothing wrong with a 5000!! I've used one for YEARS (a double) NO issues!!

So what's the bad rap about?? Something I should KNOW ABOUT??

And PLUS ONE on getting him some sticks with the $16 dollar leftover!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
I agree!! There's nothing wrong with a 5000!! I've used one for YEARS (a double) NO issues!!

So what's the bad rap about?? Something I should KNOW ABOUT??

And PLUS ONE on getting him some sticks with the $16 dollar leftover!!
did i say there was something wrong with dw5000s? No, i just said i thought we could do better than a used one with the money we got. Besides, there is a problem with the foot plates snapping, although that's only if you have an iron foot.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 11-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Ok guys, I'm back from hospital for a few hours and catching up on progress. Great work jer, really great! I've just had a message from Melinda Donnelly at Flexmaster to confirm that 3 boxes have arrived as of Friday evening. I assume these to be 1x box pedals, 1 x box cymbal pack & 1 x box cymbal case from JeremyS. Superb work all round guys. I'm going to message Leo's friend now with the contact details at Flexmaster. All is good to go for pickup on Tuesday 1st. I'll keep you all posted on progress.

jer, use the $16 to offset the fee shortfall in my $300 transfer. You've already kindly donated what you can and put a lot of effort into coordinating donations & procurement. You've more than played your part.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr View Post
Since KIS (and jer) put in so much, anyone who still wants to help out could still put in and pay a bit back to him . I'll kick off with $20CAD. Join the KIS appeal...
I've issued a refund on this, should really go to KIS...

Quote:
Ok guys, I'm back from hospital for a few hours and catching up on progress. Great work jer, really great! I've just had a message from Melinda Donnelly at Flexmaster to confirm that 3 boxes have arrived as of Friday evening. I assume these to be 1x box pedals, 1 x box cymbal pack & 1 x box cymbal case from JeremyS. Superb work all round guys. I'm going to message Leo's friend now with the contact details at Flexmaster. All is good to go for pickup on Tuesday 1st. I'll keep you all posted on progress.

jer, use the $16 to offset the fee shortfall in my $300 transfer. You've already kindly donated what you can and put a lot of effort into coordinating donations & procurement. You've more than played your part.
Thanks for the update, KIS. I'll hold on to the remaining money - won't spend it on myself though, thinking maybe use it for a Christmas toy drive or something along those lines.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Don't worry about any left over funds guys. We are where we are now and our part is mostly done. I've just had confirmation from Melinda Donnelly @ Flexmaster that Leo's friend has collected the stuff. I'm just awaiting confirmation from Leo's friend that everything is OK. As soon as I have further news, I'll post again. I have to go back to be with my mother in hospital for the next two days so don't worry if things go a bit quiet for a while. I'll check messages tomorrow before I leave out.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Ok guys, I have an update. Good news & bad. Leo's friend has collected the gear from Flexmaster and everything looks fine for transporting the packaged to Cuba. The bad news is that Leo's friend has just suffered a close family death and accordingly, has postponed his journey until January. This means that Leo will have to wait a while for his stuff, but as the saying goes, good things come to he who waits!

Anyhow, we've done our bit. There's nothing more we can do other than be happy with what we've achieved. We all have struggled at some stage to get our gear together but the challenge faced by Leo is on another level. Against the odds he's shown tenacity & grit to get to the stage he's at now. Given the gear he currently has, I think he makes a superb sound. His stuff may not be your genre, but measured against any peer, he's good. All we've done is donated the items that would always be beyond his reach. This appeal was never about giving Leo a whole new top end set up, but more about giving him a platform to move up from.

Although the number of members that eventually got involved is smaller than I expected, we've turned out a great result. I'm proud to be associated with each one of you and thank you for helping to make someone's dream become a reality. The stuff you and I take almost for granted, Leo will cherish. I'm sure Leo will let us know when he gets his new gear. Fondest regards to all, KIS.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Great news update guys, Leo has just mailed me and said his gear will be landing in Cuba on the 17th of this month. It's a shame there was such a delay but he's buzzing about getting his gear. He promises to post some pictures as soon as he can. Some things in life make you feel good. For me, this is one of them. KIS.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Great news update guys, Leo has just mailed me and said his gear will be landing in Cuba on the 17th of this month. It's a shame there was such a delay but he's buzzing about getting his gear. He promises to post some pictures as soon as he can. Some things in life make you feel good. For me, this is one of them. KIS.
KIS i really aprecciate to much all the things that you have done , and all the things, interest that other members has shown.Im waiting to february 17 and get all the things, at this time i really can belive that all this happen .Thank you very much , members friends and Drummerworld.
Some things in life make you feel good.For me is to have friends like you.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Awesome I can't wait to get an update! I wish I could have got in on this!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

Does anyone know if Leo's stuff arrived safely?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

I got a mail from Leo yesterday. He was waiting for his friend to land at the airport. I expect we'll get an update in the next day or so. Leo was going to borrow a camera so he can take some pictures and post them on this site. Leo is also in the process of refurbishing a kit he thinks was made in Poland in the 60's. He's working on the bearing edges and painting it. He seems quite fired up about it. I can't wait to see the pictures of Leo with his new gear. I'm way more excited about this than if I was getting new stuff for myself!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I got a mail from Leo yesterday. He was waiting for his friend to land at the airport. I expect we'll get an update in the next day or so. Leo was going to borrow a camera so he can take some pictures and post them on this site. Leo is also in the process of refurbishing a kit he thinks was made in Poland in the 60's. He's working on the bearing edges and painting it. He seems quite fired up about it. I can't wait to see the pictures of Leo with his new gear. I'm way more excited about this than if I was getting new stuff for myself!
Well done KIS you are a great inspiration to this site (me included).
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM

I will post a thread in General Discussion with the pics of the gear and a few words for all of you.Please go there and read it .