DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:46 AM

Default How cold is too cold for a room with a drum set and recording equipment?

I have a studio (meaning open space) room above my garage that I've recently refloored. It looks great and I want to utilize the space for all my drum, guitar, bass, piano, and recording equipment.
The problem is, I live about an hour north of New York City, so it's starting to get pretty cold. The room is a square and has two Delonghi space heaters running right now. I'm getting a thermometer today to check how cold it is exactly in there (and I shall post the info), but before I start posting numbers, what are your thoughts on okay temperatures?

The consistency of the temperature will probably be not too bad (since I know this causes strings and heads to break), but what's the coldest it can consistently be without damaging any equipment? My drum set is a Gretsch Reknown Maple and I'd cry if anything happened to it. Thanks alot you guys!

(Also what are some good DIY materials to use as sound absorption. I'm thinking bedding egg crate maybe?)
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How cold is too cold for a room with a drum set and recording equipment?

Did you insulate the walls and ceiling?

I would assume if everything is insulated, and it's heated when you're in there, everything should be fine on days you're not in there.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How cold is too cold for a room with a drum set and recording equipment?

The problem isn't the temps. It is the changes in the temp that make condensation. That is the main thing that raises havoc with electrical equipment and drums. I would try to keep the temp within a ten degree variance. I would air condition the room in the summer for the same reason. In the winter the air tends to be dryer than in summer. That gives you more freedom in temp changes that in the summer when the humidity plays a greater role.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
The problem isn't the temps. It is the changes in the temp that make condensation. That is the main thing that raises havoc with electrical equipment and drums. I would try to keep the temp within a ten degree variance. I would air condition the room in the summer for the same reason. In the winter the air tends to be dryer than in summer. That gives you more freedom in temp changes that in the summer when the humidity plays a greater role.
Agreed, condensation is the main problem as it draws water out of the air. Avoid any swings in temperature and if you do warm the room up, do it gradually. Also rapid and large temperature swings will cause expansion and contraction of materials. Plywood is pretty tough stuff but it could promote cracking and delamination, especially if water got in there. Again, you would need to do this many times over years to start messing things up.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

I live in central Connecticut. In June of each year when the humidity starts to become a factor, I turn on my central AC in my house. My wife complains that we don't have to run the AC so much. I tell her that I do it to protect the drums, The leather furniture, and the electronics in the house. My drums, Electronic equipment, and my leather couches are downstairs in the Man Cave of our Raised Ranch. Being that the room is half underground, The humidity settles down there before it reaches the rest of the house. I can't seem to get this through to her! We have this discussion every year!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Agreed, condensation is the main problem as it draws water out of the air. Avoid any swings in temperature and if you do warm the room up, do it gradually. Also rapid and large temperature swings will cause expansion and contraction of materials. Plywood is pretty tough stuff but it could promote cracking and delamination, especially if water got in there. Again, you would need to do this many times over years to start messing things up.
But obviously , some temperatures must be too low. I mean in January in New York it gets to the below 30 degrees.

Either way, if it's say... somewhere between 50-60 (ten degree range), is that not a big deal? It obviously won't be going crazy like 50 to 60 in an hour, but it would probably hover around there from day to day.

From what you guys have said, I'm not so much worried about the fall now, it's mostly the winter that I'm apprehensive about. What measures can I take during the winter other than heating the room to keep out moisture / condensation in order to avoid cracking and such?
Maybe a dehumidifier would help the situation out, no?

Thanks for your answers by the way, really helpful and quick, I'm trying to get my stuff up there ASAP and this is really helping move things along!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

In mid winter, the air is dry, The colder it gets, The dryer it gets! The temp changes won't make as much condensation. The key is as mentioned by Deathmetalconga. Bring the temp up slowly so as to minimize the formation of condensation.
When the humidity is high, Problems are more likely to occur. When the Humidity is low, ...
When temps fall below freezing, Humidity is at its lowest!

Last edited by bobdadruma; 10-20-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
In mid winter, the air is dry, The colder it gets, The dryer it gets! The temp changes won't make as much condensation. The key is as mentioned by Deathmetalconga. Bring the temp up slowly so as to minimize the formation of condensation.
When the humidity is high, Problems are more likely to occur. When the Humidity is low, ...
When temps fall below freezing, Humidity is at its lowest!
So by that logic, it could be super cold, and as long as the degree isn't all over the place, it's still fine? DUDE!

I could kiss you.

You guys helped me out alot. Gotta love the drum community.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Right, Cold and dry, No problem! Warm and wet, Problem!
Meteorologist call this The Dew point.
Spring, Summer, and Fall, More problems!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 AM

yep - we used to play marching band shows in late November - probably below 10 degrees a couple times. Never had a problem with our drums, heads or sticks breaking. God forbid you hit your hand with a stick or on the rim at those temps - but that's another story.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 PM

I play in my unfinished basement in Canada with NO HEAT. Some days I go down there and I can see my breath will I'm playing. And none of my gear has been effected.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 PM

Think about it, all tours have your drums stuffed in a semi trailer or uner a bus with no heat, sometimes for days, then they are set up, played under hot lights, then packed back on said truck over and over again. I personally have not seen any issues with it, other than normal tuning issues.