DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 AM

Default BOOM from a 14x22

Is it possible to get a big Bonham type boom from a 14x22 bass drum? I was thinking unported head, no muffling, maybe a Vintage Ambassador...what do people think?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: BOOM from a 14x22

Yes, it's much easier to get a Bonham sound from a 14x22 than an 18x22, I've found. It's that "punch" that he got from the drum that you just can't get with a deeper drum. Bonham used a coated Emperor as a batter and a medium-weight Ludwig resonant head. He also tuned his drums up a bit. You *might* be able to get as low a pitch on your bass drum as he did with his 26" bass drum, but your head would have to be tuned pretty low to do that with a 22". I don't know if you've seen THIS, but you should check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrNjz_U0ZM&NR=1

It's kind of sad to see the younger, inexperienced drummers looking for a "punch in the gut" sound from a 20x22 or 20x20 drum...you just won't find it!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Silver Member

I have a 14x22, unported, no mufling, with Ambassadors. Yes, it will booooom if you get the tension right. It will sound more like a bass drum out of a marching band, which in my mind is how a bass drum SHOULD sound like. For smaller venues, I can add a cloth strip to the batter head. This will take out a little sustain, but will still boom.

You do however have to get used to the sound and response as its extremely different from the usual pillow-muffled, ported BD. At first, it might sound "hollow", and the rebound to the pedal might bother you. But It is also VERY responsive, with very wide dynamic range. Hit it soft and it will growl, hit it hard and it will roar, bury the pedal and it will punch you in the gut.

P.S. Check out Butch Miles and what he gets from an unported, unmuffled 18!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mq-YUEdfLY
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM

Might want to consider a wooden beater for your bass drum pedal as well!
Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

I own a 22x14 and a 26x14. You can get a nice "boom" out of a 22x14, but it ain't gonna be the "magnum boom" of a 26x14.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:00 PM

I'm a 14x22 user...

I also dislike the new deeper bass drum sizes... 16x22 is the limit for me. I find the deeper ones lack articulation. They all sound like sub-woofers to me.

I get a pretty nice thump from my 14x22 6 ply Ludwig using a clear Powerstroke 3 with a Ludwig single ply reso on mine.

I agree with the above though that you won't get quite the same sound as the 26 though... the 26 has a lower fundamental pitch due to the larger diameter of the drum itself.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqadan View Post
I get a pretty nice thump from my 14x22 6 ply Ludwig using a clear Powerstroke 3 with a Ludwig single ply reso on mine.
Almost the identical combo I set up (or have set up) all my kick drums. At least to start with. Clear Powerstroke 3 batter and ebony Ambassador reso.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Is it true that the batter should be a little above wrinkle and the reso at least a full turn tighter?...or should they both be really tight?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

I'm also using a PS3 (clear) on my Classic Maple 22x14", with a coated ambassador (no port) in front. I put a very small pillow inside, touching only the batter head (very lightly). It has it all...boom...punch...super warm sound that fills the room.

I use Bob Gatzen's "lowest possible pitch" tuning method. My batter is a little tighter than the reso. Sounds great!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrummys View Post
Is it true that the batter should be a little above wrinkle and the reso at least a full turn tighter?...or should they both be really tight?
The Bonham sound you're seeking is substantially tighter than just above wrinkle.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

well, Zeppelin I was recorded with a 14 X 22, and I actually think that was one of the best drum sounds he got on any of their albums. And, that album was recorded right before the Emperors came out, so he likely had coated Ambassadors on both sides with either felt strips, or shredded newspaper for muffling. The powerstrokes do sound good for a more modern sound, although the coated one sounds a little more vintage.