DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

Default Query Concerning SONOR Artist snare

If any one owns one or has played one I would like to know what your opinion is.
When I bought my Black Panther on ebay the gentleman who sold it to me also had the Artist up for sale and I was intrigued by his comments but at the time $1700 seemed like over kill. I'm crazy to be thinking this as I only play with a couple of groups twice a week with maybe a few casual gigs; but I'm pretty sure I want to upgrade considerably and from what I can tell the stores here in Toronto don't keep them in stock so I can not hear for myself. The price is going to be much higher here as well so if a Dunnett Titanium comes close or even a Black Beauty at half the price I could go that way as well but I am definitely interested and it is almost a craving rather than a need as my 2 snares are adequate for my needs but you know how it is when your drum crazy. If you wish you can email me directly through the site. I prefer the opinions from my fellow members so thanking you in advance.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Query Concerning SONOR Artist snare

I have many of the Artist snares and I can't say enough good things about them.

I guess it also depends on which one you're looking at, as the prices change... from model to model.
One thing I will say about Sonor drums (in general) is that the vertical shells makes ALL the difference in their drum sound. Esp. in the snare drums.

Sonor has been making vertical drums for as long as they have been around for the most part. (Not like some other companies "marketing" vertical shells now)

Having the grain going down the drum....not around the drum.....makes the sound waves get to the bottom head much quicker...giving the drum a faster responce, more sensitivity, and more body and depth.
I notice a difference in Sonors sound and other drum companies, right of the bat....even on recordings.

You don't have to go Artist, to get a great drum though.
Honestly, my favorite Sonor snare.... is a regular Delite 14 x 6.

They'll run you under 850 (usually) and you won't find a better snare for the cash.

Cheers and happy buying,
D.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Gold Member

Thanks, I appreciate the direction and insight..
Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

More praise for the Delite 14 x 6 here:http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26239

I don't have one yet but it's on the list. ; - )

spleen
Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 AM
wy yung

I own the following artist series snares: Cottonwood 14x6 maple. 27 ply beech 13x5. 14x5 brass. Amboina 13x7 maple.

Although these drums are expensive, I do not regret paying the money. I love these drums but also love my other sonor snares in the Delite and Designer series. I believe they are all of equal quality. Derek's breakdown seems to cover it, so there is not much to add really other than personal comments. Each of these drums has it's own character.

The 27 ply beech is loved by funk players. People have a tendency to turn around on stage and gawp when the 1st back beat is played. Of all my 13's, and I have a few, this is the killer.

I adore the cottonwood for its lovely round tone at a certain tuning. It can also cut but with body. Many drums in this dimension can of course, but there is something about this drum.... I've used it to play funk, rock and country without a problem.

The Artist brass is probably the less compelling of all. I would not say it is better than any other high level brass drum in this dimension. For example my Black Beauty gives it a run for it's money. But the superior hardware on the Sonor adds that much to it. I payed nearly $2000.00 for mine at the time and do not regret it.

The Amboina is lovely. It is not as " tommie" as Pearl's deeper 9x13 mahogany. The attack is very sharp with a great tuning range.

I used my 14x5 Delite maple to play funk last weekend and it sang beautifully with Ambassadors top and bottom. Very responsive to low dynamic playing. Not a ghost note lost and press rolls are a dream. The rimshot is enormous!

My Delite 14x4.4 is probably the loudest most cutting, deafening snare I've owned. And I have a few loud drums. But the pitch of this drum makes it pierce through a loud band like a hot knife through butter. And the tuning range is quite wide for a drum this size.

My 14x6 Designer is something I keep Renaissance heads on top and bottom. These heads make my particular drum perfect for jazz oriented playing. Although it works in any style, e.g. it is a killer rock drum. My shell IMO works best like this. A superb drum.

You can read about them here. http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/s...nk-n_katid=264

Last edited by wy yung; 12-12-2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typos