DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Default Taylor Hawkins plays with Rush!

Check this out - I got this from another Forum. Foo Fighters drummer jams on YYZ with Rush and he nailed it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Ramu397UQ

Can you imagine how cool that would be???
Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Guinness

Default Re: Taylor Hawkins plays with Rush!

Wow! That was sweet! I never knew Taylor could jam out like that.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Gold Member

Thats awesome; the fans had a treat enough, imagine what it must feel like for Hawkins!

If i remember, hadn't their latest album producer just finished working on Snakes & Arrows?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

That's pretty dang cool.

Gotta be a real highlight in his carer!
How many people have dreamed of doing that!?!!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

What a treat for the fans that would be so cool to be there.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 PM
fourstringdrums

Awesome, thanks for posting :-)

Maybe it's just me though but I can't shake the feeling that during this amazing event, there were a bunch of 13 year olds in the audience going "Who in the hell are these old guys?"
Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 AM
lewisn27

im suprised he pulled is off actually, he's a good drummer but i didn't think he was neil peart calliber, well, he proved me wrong.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post

Maybe it's just me though but I can't shake the feeling that during this amazing event, there were a bunch of 13 year olds in the audience going "Who in the hell are these old guys?"
Yeah! Excellent post...wish I was there!

LOL, Rob! Yeah. I was like that when I was 13, but I became older and wiser!

Neil Peart rocks!!!!!!!

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 AM

I was at that concert... it was unreal!!
Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I wonder what they would say if we had them listen to buddy rich.

Then tell them that he is one of the greatest drummers of all time.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:

I hear what you're saying but Rush has God-like status in Toronto. Everyone knows them.

That was the kind of concert moment that sticks with you forever. I would have loved to have been there.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM
SickRick

Can someone enlighten me about the whole Rush / Peart thing? I've listened to some of their records and watched all the Peart clips that I could find, but I cannot find anything positive about it. I find the drumming neither grooving nor technically outstanding but still many guys seem to love Peart (as from what I've read on forums). How come?

Actually I found that what Taylor was doing here was better than anything that Peart has ever done with them. Hmm... maybe I just grew up in the wrong decades listening to wrong music.

:)

Anyway - certainly a great moment if you're a fan of that band. And Taylor is just an amazing rock drummer. An absolute giant. And he seemes to love the guys (and most likely Peart). Probably I just don't get the point.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM

Awesome, how cool is that! I can't imagine what it would be like for a Rush fan to be there to see the Foo Fighter and all of a sudden Geddy pops up from nowhere, brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Can someone enlighten me about the whole Rush / Peart thing? I've listened to some of their records and watched all the Peart clips that I could find, but I cannot find anything positive about it. I find the drumming neither grooving nor technically outstanding but still many guys seem to love Peart (as from what I've read on forums). How come?

Actually I found that what Taylor was doing here was better than anything that Peart has ever done with them. Hmm... maybe I just grew up in the wrong decades listening to wrong music.

Anyway - certainly a great moment if you're a fan of that band. And Taylor is just an amazing rock drummer. An absolute giant. And he seemes to love the guys (and most likely Peart). Probably I just don't get the point.
At least you admit your ignorance, haha.! ;)

Peart's drumming is not technical? What planet do you come from?
And many, including me, do not worship Peart exclusively for his technical ability, but for his work with the band in general, his drumming is not about being the fastest guy in town, it suits the music, and it's very creative. Of course Peart is one of the greatest lyricist ever to walk the face of earth, in my opinion, but that's another story.

And how can you say that what the Foo Fighters guy there did is better than anything Neil has ever done, if it is a (good) copy of a part written by Peart?

Anyway, I'm not trying to be the Rush Fanboy here, but I couldn't leave this like that.
from your
tv set

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; 03-27-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:56 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
At least you admit your ignorance, haha.! ;)

Peart's drumming is not technical? What planet do you come from?
And many, including me, do not worship Peart exclusively for his technical ability, but for his work with the band in general, his drumming is not about being the fastest guy in town, it suits the music, and it's very creative. Of course Peart is one of the greatest lyricist ever to walk the face of earth, in my opinion, but that's another story.

And how can you say that what the Foo Fighters guy there did is better than anything Neil has ever done, if it is a (good) copy of a part written by Peart?

Anyway, I'm not trying to be the Rush Fanboy here, but I couldn't leave this like that.
Ok, I see the band work thing and I didn't know he was writing lyrics. I just think that Taylor has way more energy than Peart and he has that cool Rockfeel that very very very few drummers have - and to me Peart just doesn't have it. So even if it is a copy of a Peart part, I still like that Part better when Taylor plays it.

About the technique thing (which I don't find important btw.) all I can say is "hmmm..."

But yeah, I might be ignorant, I'm totally cool with that.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

its not technique (well, thats one thing), its the fact that he can play a 13/4 hand solo over a 3/4 kick drum solo, without every losing a handle on what he's playing. He has mastered how to play everything very smoothly.
And if you were just listening to the recordings without having any idea who was drumming on them, my guess is you would probably realize that Peart is much smoother. As impressive as Hawkins' playing was, it never quite felt like it was really in the pocket, it seemed like he was rushing a little bit ahead.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk9290 View Post
its not technique (well, thats one thing), its the fact that he can play a 13/4 hand solo over a 3/4 kick drum solo, without every losing a handle on what he's playing. He has mastered how to play everything very smoothly.
And if you were just listening to the recordings without having any idea who was drumming on them, my guess is you would probably realize that Peart is much smoother. As impressive as Hawkins' playing was, it never quite felt like it was really in the pocket, it seemed like he was rushing a little bit ahead.
OK, I have small doubts about soloing in 13/4 over 3/4 but I get the picture. Personally I'd say that such solos are usually pretty boring, but what the heck... thats just me I guess. Another thing is (but I guess you just made up that example) that keeping a 3/4 foot ostinato and playing stickings that are in 13 over it is not too hard. Say the ostinato is HH-Bd-Bd I could probably pull that off without having to work too hard to get there. But again - probably it was just an example you made up to make a point.

The point that I find much more interesting is what you say about smoothnes: That is something that I personally don't like if it becomes too dominant. Thats why I don't really like Weckl or Steve Smith for example... Everything seems TOO smooth for my taste. Other guys with similar or even better chops are playing way more dirty and I personally I prefer that a lot (JoJo / Vinnie for example).

Interesting viewpoints though.

Maybe your right about Taylor rushing, but I still like the energy he has better than the smoothnes of Peart.

It's just an opinion though. Remember opinions are like noses: Everybody has got one.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I hear what you're saying but Rush has God-like status in Toronto. Everyone knows them.
Oh that was in Toronto? Guess I missed that.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
OK, I have small doubts about soloing in 13/4 over 3/4 but I get the picture. Personally I'd say that such solos are usually pretty boring, but what the heck... thats just me I guess. Another thing is (but I guess you just made up that example) that keeping a 3/4 foot ostinato and playing stickings that are in 13 over it is not too hard. Say the ostinato is HH-Bd-Bd I could probably pull that off without having to work too hard to get there. But again - probably it was just an example you made up to make a point.

The point that I find much more interesting is what you say about smoothnes: That is something that I personally don't like if it becomes too dominant. Thats why I don't really like Weckl or Steve Smith for example... Everything seems TOO smooth for my taste. Other guys with similar or even better chops are playing way more dirty and I personally I prefer that a lot (JoJo / Vinnie for example).

Maybe your right about Taylor rushing, but I still like the energy he has better than the smoothnes of Peart.

It's just an opinion though. Remember opinions are like noses: Everybody has got one.
Yes, it was an example, but you're right, its not something very hard to do, but its not something 99% of drummers would ever think of putting in a solo. I think he goes more for the "drummmer's drummer solo" than the crowd pleasing high energy pyro-enhanced madness of today's solos. Which I'll admit are much more fun to watch in a big crowd setting. I guess for me there's just something about drummers like Gadd, Peart, Weckl, etc that I like; they are rather distinct, and play what they want to play, not what the crowd cares about, and I sort of like that since thats why I drum. But then again, like you said, Jojo Mayer really brings his own special stuff to the table and is amazing at that; I got to see him live, and it was one of the most amazing drumming experiences of my life: he had the energy, the pocket, and the variation all in one.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:14 PM

HTML Code:

Come on then.

So who do you respect in the drum world? Have you nothing positive to say? Frankly, you're talking out of your backside.

You've just knocked three of the best players in the world.

Peart is one of the greatest and most influential rock drummers ever. Second behind only Bonham (I suppose you don't rate him either.)

Weckl and Smith are quite simply modern masters - but clearly not up to your nit-picking standards.

On a personal level can I ask you a question: are you actually a drummer?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk9290 View Post
I guess for me there's just something about drummers like Gadd, Peart, Weckl, etc that I like; they are rather distinct, and play what they want to play, not what the crowd cares about, and I sort of like that since thats why I drum.
Intersting point. Well, I still see a big difference in between Gadd and the other two in terms of smoothness. To me Gadd has a real unique pocket and what I like about his playing the most is the dirt he puts in. PLUS the energy that he has and his creativity and subtleness. I'm not saying the other two are bad drummers (which would be an insanely stupid statement), I just think the way they are playing is lacking some dirt. I've seen Weckl live many many times and every single time I thought: "great drumming in terms of technique/finesse/timekeeping"playing form etc. - perfect. But still not appealing to me." Mabe because I find it to be too perfect. My point of view is that if you are playing too clean, too smooth and too perfect, you might be missing the whole point of drumming itself. But again: This is probably a matter of personal taste or even personality itself. On this "spiritual" level (trust me, I am an absoultely un-esoteric person) of drumming all that matters to me is "high energy + high emotionality". If a drummer cannot get that across to me, I don't care about the drumming.
But this has nothing to do with bad drumming.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

Hey Shane,
Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed that. Taylor Hawkins did a good job. He must have been stoked!
Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac View Post
Come on then.

So who do you respect in the drum world? Have you nothing positive to say? Frankly, you're talking out of your backside.

Peart is one of the greatest and most influential rock drummers ever. Second behind only Bonham (I suppose you don't rate him either.)

Weckl and Smith are quite simply modern masters - but clearly not up to your nit-picking standards.

Hey you're a funny guy! Thanks for that post - made me laugh.

Just that much: Question number one is already cleared in the post you quoted: I respect Jojo and Vinnie for example. Didn't you read that?? Because you quoted it. I also respect Steve Smith and Weckl and Peart. I just don't really dig their style. Is that nitpicking now?

Your last line is the best... No, I'm not a drummer. I play the bassoon and sometimes harp. But back in the day, when I was studying in LA, I took a lesson with Dave Weckl to get my technique straightened out. Oh yes, a bassoon lesson of course. Dave sucks at teaching harp.

If you like, I have some of my bassoon playing in the Your Place section.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
HTML Code:

Come on then.

SickRick only gave his opinion politely, he had good arguments and he also said positive things...
Don't be upset if someone doesn't appreciate your drumhero as much as you do!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Mr Rick -

Peart essentially wrote the book for progressive rock drumming. He's influenced many generations of drummers. To get what Peart and rush was all about, try listening to some of their older stuff like Hemispheres, 2112, Moving Pictures, Exit Stage Left (killer), Permanent Waves, etc. In those times, Peart was like no other drummer. He was the thinking man's drummer (thus being named The Professor).
Old 03-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
HTML Code:

Come on then.

It's all subjective so he's not really talking out of his backside is he.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Drums View Post
Mr Rick -

Peart essentially wrote the book for progressive rock drumming. He's influenced many generations of drummers. To get what Peart and rush was all about, try listening to some of their older stuff like Hemispheres, 2112, Moving Pictures, Exit Stage Left (killer), Permanent Waves, etc. In those times, Peart was like no other drummer. He was the thinking man's drummer (thus being named The Professor).

Peart essentially wrote the book for progressive rock drumming

I think maybe Bruford or maybe Phil Collins may have something to say about that !
Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Mr Rick -

Thanks. I'll check out the live record since I haven't heard that. I have seen the DVD / Video called "anatomy of a drumsolo" which is the reason why I didn't dig his playing too much - there are just simply better soloists out there like Bozzio (who is certainly also a matter of personal taste I guess...) or one of the Superchops guys like Lang or Donati (also personal taste...). Maybe its because I just don't like most drumsolos, hehehe.

Anyway, about the musical side of this: At that time (around 1980) weren't there other guys that were more happening - and I mean in that field of drumming. Like all the drummers for zappa or the guys from the diverse fusion bands like Cobham or even Tony Williams. Or do you (or the other guys here) see a substantial difference in the music that these guys played?
Personally I come from a Jazz/Latin/Funk backround which is probably why I don't like the progrock genre in general. Anyway, I'll give it a shot. But please don't hate me if I still don't like it.

;)
Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Pioneer Member

I realize that on this site criticising Neil Peart is a little going to southern baptist convention wearing an Ozzy shirt but I don't find anything disrespectful or innapropriate in Sickrick/sticktrick's posts. That also may be because I happen to agree with what he said but that is another issue . . let the flames begin!

No-one can intelligently state that Peart is not a good drummer and nor can they say that he has not been hugely influential in exposing the art and in bringing others to it. But, in a strictly emotional "move me" sense I find his playing to be lacking in feel, flair, drive, groove and subtlety. His playing does nothing for me. That is just my opinion and is not a personal attack on those out there who think he is to drummming what the Pope is to Catholics.

I also preferred Taylor Hawkins who is one of the best driving, groovy rock players out there.

Now - feel free to tell me how wrong I am - I can stand it, honest!

paul
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

well, i guess the experiment would be, we need a few live recordings of Peart, Hawkins, and if i recall the Sully Erna/Shannon Larkin drum battle goes into YYZ for a bit. So take those all, have a good sound engineering have his way with them to make them like studio quality, and then see what everyone's opinion is. I'm seriously curious to find out...if only it wouldn't take a rediculous amount of work.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'll check out the live record since I haven't heard that. I have seen the DVD / Video called "anatomy of a drumsolo" which is the reason why I didn't dig his playing too much - there are just simply better soloists out there

;)
I"m a BIG time Peart fan but I wans't really into that video either....
IMO Exit Stage Left is the best live recording of his playing at a high level....

Funny when I was young I had an instructor that was trying to get me into Gadd and I just didn't get it...

"Where are the long rolls like Neil...he's not all that"
That was my thinking back then cause I was a Neil fanatic :)

Last edited by LinearDrummer; 03-27-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Anatomy of a Solo just doesn't show Neil in his prime. He just seems tired. I love the guy and still think the world of him but IMO, he's not the drummer he once was. He's mellowed a lot in the past 15 years. You could say matured or seasoned but it just seems that having watched the Anatomy video MANY times (it plays sometimes on the TV in our shop), the fire is gone.

Sure - there were other high octane drummers from that time like Cobham and Vinnie (and still Rich) but Neil just changed the face of ROCK music & drumming during the 70's and early 80s.

Check out Exit Stage Left - a masterpiece! I think I'll listen to it now....
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Anatomy of a Solo just doesn't show Neil in his prime. He just seems tired. I love the guy and still think the world of him but IMO, he's not the drummer he once was. He's mellowed a lot in the past 15 years. You could say matured or seasoned but it just seems that having watched the Anatomy video MANY times (it plays sometimes on the TV in our shop), the fire is gone.
Losing one's daughter and wife within a couple months of each other will do that though. I think that mellowed him out, and I don't see him ever trying to show that same energy. Reading his recent writings, I think now he's enjoying the other things in his life too much to devote all his energy back into drumming. And I respect that...I wouldn't want to look back someday and see how much I missed out on by exhausting myself drumming 24/7
Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Quin View Post
I realize that on this site criticising Neil Peart is a little going to southern baptist convention wearing an Ozzy shirt but I don't find anything disrespectful or innapropriate in Sickrick/sticktrick's posts. That also may be because I happen to agree with what he said but that is another issue . . let the flames begin!

No-one can intelligently state that Peart is not a good drummer and nor can they say that he has not been hugely influential in exposing the art and in bringing others to it. But, in a strictly emotional "move me" sense I find his playing to be lacking in feel, flair, drive, groove and subtlety. His playing does nothing for me. That is just my opinion and is not a personal attack on those out there who think he is to drummming what the Pope is to Catholics.

I also preferred Taylor Hawkins who is one of the best driving, groovy rock players out there.

Now - feel free to tell me how wrong I am - I can stand it, honest!

paul
Guess what, you're wrong!!!

I"m a HUGE Peart fan, and I can honestly appreciate what you have said.

I think the thing with Neil Peart is that he is ALL business behind the kit, and really concentrates to give that "recorded" performance every time he plays. He tends not to over waste energy "IMO", and I find his actions to be somewhat strict and deliberate. He does sometimes come off as having a lack of flair, of groove, but make no mistake its there. On the "Counterparts" album, I found it to be some of his best groove work, especially the tune "Animate". Most recently, I really feel he grooved solid on "Malignant Narrcissim."
I honestly think he was more "into it" back in the 80's and early 90's. Today, at 56 years of age and playing the same tunes for over 30 years, the tragedy's he's had in his life, it has to be more of a job for him than a fun passtime, almost to the point of being "work." He is human after all.

My favorite "modern day " drummer is definately JoJo Mayer. That cat can PLAY! But I wonder when he hits close to the age of 60, and loses some of his flair, how many people will think he has no flair or is boring to watch???
Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Already hijacked, so no damage intended. Here are four links to a good Peart interview which might give you a new outlook on Neil. Quite good job by the interviewer, particularly considering he isn't a drummer. I am planning to see Rush in New Orleans. Joey

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lub2o1pwctA&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XgQ-Wnei3Xc&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sDDH7sFurRI&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QcAXqh2j3WE&feature=related
Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Ok, I see the band work thing and I didn't know he was writing lyrics. I just think that Taylor has way more energy than Peart and he has that cool Rockfeel that very very very few drummers have - and to me Peart just doesn't have it. So even if it is a copy of a Peart part, I still like that Part better when Taylor plays it.

About the technique thing (which I don't find important btw.) all I can say is "hmmm..."

But yeah, I might be ignorant, I'm totally cool with that.

I think one of the most important thing to remember about Neil is that although he may not be the "greatest" or the most technical guy going, he came along at a time that was perfect for what he did.. he used his unbelievable creativity, and formidable chops to do things in a way that no one else was.. and he was great at what he did.. entertain and inspire.

I think it would be safe to say that Neil has inspired more people to drumming than probably anyone else..

I've seen dozens of clips of folks known and unknown doing Rush songs, and people commenting just as you did, that they did it better than Neil did.. The one thing that you seem to forget is that Neil created it.

Anyone can trace a Monet, or create a mold of a Michaelangelo..

My $0.02
Old 03-28-2008, 04:49 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I think it would be safe to say that Neil has inspired more people to drumming than probably anyone else..
Absolutely not. I don't really know a lot about Peart, but that is just not true. Ever heard of Max Roach or Tony Williams?

Or Buddy Rich (even though I'm not a big fan, you've got to give him that credit).

On the Rockside, I'd say Bonzo has inspired and influenced many more people than Peart has.

I'm not sure if creating special drumparts (tricky/melodic etc) is such an important task for drumming. Actually, if I really think about it, I'd say that it might be for rockdrumming, but most of the drummers that are famous for doing it are not on the list of my favourits. I have gotten into real bad arguments in the past about this matter when it came to Portnoy or Carter Beauford - both have fans that really love their drumparts. But my point of view is that 99% of the time something more simplistic would fit the song better... I'm just not a fan of all that little ringding with 10 splash cymbals, 16 toms and 348 Octobans. Not my thing. If you can play 2 and 4 on the Snare, 1 and 3 on the Bass or something similar and it sounds good for the song, why not leave it at that and try to make it sound and groove as good as possible?

Bonzo did it, and we all love him.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Silver Member

Sick! Where was Neil, and why Taylor Hawkins? I didnt know he could nail that song that well. His solo was kind of weak though...

Oh and SickRick, i respect your opinion, but saying that a straight two four feel on many dave matthews band songs would fit the song better is a little far out there :P. I think Carter Beauford plays to the music so perfectly...i couldnt imagine rapunzel, ants marching, Crush in a simplistic groove, it just wouldnt be the same at all, it would take all the flavor and groove out of the song. If it weren't for Carter Beauford's creativity and groove, i can say that i probably would not really enjoy DMB that much...

Last edited by TheGroceryman; 03-29-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
Sick! Where was Neil, and why Taylor Hawkins?
Because.. it was a Foo Fighters concert..?
Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
RINGO. Hello!?

Cool video btw - Taylor Hawkins is a very solid drummer and the Foo Fighters are generally a great band (though they've had one or two 'off' moments, but hey - who hasn't). Can't say I'm a huge fan of Neil, nothing about him really grips me, but I have to admit he's good at what he does and if people love it then I guess there's no harm done.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
the Foo Fighters are generally a great band (though they've had one or two 'off' moments, but hey - who hasn't).
What did you think of their new album? "Come Alive" gives me chills everytime I listen to it...