DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 09-28-2018, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Looking for Lars Ulrich's drum sizes from the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
No need to imagine, here's an image:

The drums have to be tilted at such a steep angle that they are basically facing you head on:

Wonderful and excellent drum kit that !!! The very first Tama Signature and it was Lars Ulrich who had this privilege. An Artstar II Maple with X-Deep Toms and a 2x2 '' between each Toms. It was beefy his series there. 9 plys / 7mm for Toms & Floors, 9 plys / 9mm for Bass Drum. Made in Japan, by hand. Hard maple Canadian. In my personal opinion, they were better than the Starclassic who replaced some previous series. I love the setup of Toms, 10, 12, 14 & 16 ''. The 2x2 '' difference is perfect. It allows to have a more pronounced difference of tone between each Toms. It means much more on a fills with 3 or 4 Toms compared to 12-13-14 & 15 '' for example. In addition, with a 10 '' first and a 16 '' last, it gives a wider range of tones. For those who have 10 & 12 '' in a 5 pieces or even 10, 12, 13 & 14 '', you notice that the differences of tone between the 10 '' and the 12 '' are more marked, stronger only from 12 '' to 13 '' and etc..Lars was really great on this one. Myself, I will soon change my setup Toms and exchange my 13x12 '' against a 10x9 or 10x10 '' to have 10, 12, 14 & 15 '' (a little downtuner). There is also the quality of maple. The drums built before 1990 (I count the Artstar & Granstar because designed in 86) were made with 100% natural wood. Wood from trees planted in the 40s and 50s. The wood used today comes from GMOs. Planted in the 80s, early 90s. Genetically modified trees to grow faster and to have wood without any nuts. It is less dense, lighter but probably less durable too. The last high-end series, STAR (Maple, Bubinga, Walnut), made in Japan must be the exception. Built with wood of the time. Although they have thin shells, 5mm / 5 plys, in the middle, there is a 2mm layer of solid wood, the '' Solid Core Ply ''. And the STAR series have a choice of Tama's biggest shells. From X-Deep Toms to a 26 "Bass Drum and a choice of 12 Floors. Nothing to do with the Starclassic made in China where the workforce is questionable and nothing to do with that of the Japanese who they are very meticulous, careful and very precise. It's 2 nations overall difference, different cultures and are much more educated. Last thing. For the wood used to have specialized in making of musics instruments have 3 grade. A, AA & AAA and the STAR series like the Artstar II Custom & Granstar II Custom are made in AAA grade. The Starclassic is more AA grade
ZILDJIAN ORIENTAL CHINA x2
Old 09-28-2018, 09:41 PM

I will buy the next Tama Artstar II LU signature and in excellent condition that I see happening on eBay, I take it even though the last dating back to 2015 was 6700 $ US (8740 $ CAN) + Ship, I take it the same day it has been displayed. Usually, the drum comes with all its TAMA hardware. The HH95 or HH905 (Iron Cobra Series) Glide Hi-Hat Stand Stand. An HS90 Snare stand, 4 or 5 HC84BW Roadpro boom cymbals stands in black color and a pair of pedal that can be HP45 Probeat or HP35 Camco Professional Pedals (if it comes with a HH95 LG Hi-Hat stand) and if I are lucky, HP90 Power Glide or better, Iron Cobra HP900 Power Glide (if it comes with an HH905 IC).. Also, if I can and if I find, I take Vintage Zildjian A Brilliant Medium and Rock Crashes to go with this drum.... I am a composer, a songwriter. I have my own Home Studio I already have 27 song written. 12 demos recorded alone. I am also multi-instrumentalist and I play music since I was 12 years old, since 29 years. I started on the drum to be able to interpret the album ... And Justice For All. I was lucky to have a virtuoso like teacher, I had 3 very solid formations. Basic, Rock & Metal. At age 14, I played "Justice" in full and very technical, fast and it takes a certain level. At the age of 16, I turned to the guitar as the main instrument because I wanted to found my own Band and be the frontman, vocals and guitar. But it did not happen. I had my young children and now I can start again ... See mu picture, It's a very good and beautiful drum kit view of the back :
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnrock; 09-29-2018 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:58 AM
Johnrock
This message has been deleted by Johnrock.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:44 PM

I did further research on the cymbal models that Lars used in the 80s and 90s. Although he had Zildjian A Traditional (88-94), A Brilliant (96-2000 and even A Platinum (86-87), contrary to what has been thought, he never used Rock Crash, he actually only used Medium and Medium-Thin that can be seen in some photos and video like the video of One or on the show of San Diego 92.