DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #241  
Old 04-09-2012, 07:05 PM
davemacleod davemacleod is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

I've now got a 22x20 Mapex Meridian Birch kick and, if I'm brutally honest, it sounds better than my DW 22x18 kick did with the same heads/tuning.

Both heads are tuned just past finger tight, and I've got a Falam on the PS3 batter and a very thin pillow inside. DANG, the kick sounds good. Will have to get it recorded!
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Egbert Egbert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

That's a great Bass Drum :)
__________________
viagra order
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 PM
drummerboyfitz drummerboyfitz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 102
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Help! I've experimented with the' floor tom as a bass drum' concept a few times - Mostly with underwhelming results. Usually the toms are not loud enough. I'm currently working on a tiny kit concept, using a 14X14 tom as the bass drum (turned on its side, elevated enough for the bass beater to hit the center of the head.) I've been able to tune the drum very low with no rattle. The note is perfect. The issue I'm running into is LOTS of resonance. This tiny little drum sounds like a marching band bass. I'm using a Remo Ambassador Weatherking (coated) for the batter side head and an uncoated Ambassador Weatherking for the resonant head, no internal muffling, and no vent holes in the resonant head. I would like to cut the resonance (somewhat) without affecting the rather gorgeous note. Any ideas/suggestions/experience/advice? Please help me... I'm at a loss. I think I could use different heads but don't know what, and although I've used muffling in various drums, I don't like to. Has anyone converted a tom this small to a bass drum? If so, what made it sound *thumpy*? Any ideas welcome...
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Sjogras's Avatar
Sjogras Sjogras is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 610
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Drummerboyfitz,

I'm pretty sure you will have to use some kind of muffling to get more thump. You could try using a Remo pinstripe, which would cut a little bit of resonance but you would mainly just get a less colorful tone, (which may as well be what you are looking for) but there would still be a lot of resonance. You could try with a hole in the reso head, that would definitely reduce some resonance.

On an unrelated note, I did a nice adjustment to my bassdrum today. I cut ~6" from a cymbal stand, that's the little extension that you can see, the tom mount wasn't really long enough to hold the pillow in place. I'm currently using a rack so the tom mount has just been lying around. Obviously the same thing can be done with a pipe of the same diameter, but this was a very easy solution for me.

This is something you might wanna try if you like a very solid feel, everything is a LOT easier now, fast single pedal doubles take very little effort. The reso head is completely free which creates such a nice tone.

Last edited by Sjogras; 04-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 04-14-2012, 11:36 PM
drummerboyfitz drummerboyfitz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 102
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Thanks! I appreciate the advice and will try your suggestions. I will post pics when I am finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjogras View Post
Drummerboyfitz,

I'm pretty sure you will have to use some kind of muffling to get more thump. You could try using a Remo pinstripe, which would cut a little bit of resonance but you would mainly just get a less colorful tone, (which may as well be what you are looking for) but there would still be a lot of resonance. You could try with a hole in the reso head, that would definitely reduce some resonance.

On an unrelated note, I did a nice adjustment to my bassdrum today. I cut ~6" from a cymbal stand, that's the little extension that you can see, the tom mount wasn't really long enough to hold the pillow in place. I'm currently using a rack so the tom mount has just been lying around. Obviously the same thing can be done with a pipe of the same diameter, but this was a very easy solution for me.

This is something you might wanna try if you like a very solid feel, everything is a LOT easier now, fast single pedal doubles take very little effort. The reso head is completely free which creates such a nice tone.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 PM
gconyers's Avatar
gconyers gconyers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 207
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Recently picked up a PS4 after years of using a coated EMAD batter head.

Put it on after removing rolled up towels and cranked it higher than usual. I also tuned the reso head (PS3 black reso) higer than usual and higher than the batter head.

This combination of tuning and pitch-relation makes my 22x18 maple drum sound like a cannon. The double-ply batter and the higher pitched reso controls the sustain and gives this drum the punchy, low fundamental that I've been looking for for years.

I toyed with the idea of putting a non-ported reso on but I'm gonna stick with the port because it allows me to add a bit of dampening on the fly as needed.

On a side note, I wanted to find a frosted white reso with the Yamaha logo on it with no luck. I emaoled Yamaha customer support to see if I could get one and was told they don't sell them so the guy was kind enough to send me a black sticker to use on my own head. Nice gesture and great customer relations!
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 PM
drummerboyfitz drummerboyfitz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 102
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

After years of going back and forth, I've discovered that for me, no muffling on a bass drum is the best sound. When my bass drums are tuned properly, they don't resonate like crazy. They still resonate, but not so much as to drown out the rest of the kit. I've finally realized that when I muffle the heads, the only sound really coming out of the drum is the 'thump' of the beater hitting the head - no real drum sound at all. I realize that a lot of people like that beater/head sound, but it has nothing to do with the way the bass drum actually sounds. I LIKE a bass drum to sound like a bass drum - call me crazy! Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
SOTRdrummer's Avatar
SOTRdrummer SOTRdrummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Connneticut
Posts: 17
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

What I've found after experimenting for the past week is that. On a 22" mid 90s Export bass drum. That two PS3s with the very edge of the small side of a Evans EQ pillow/pad thing. barley touching the bottom of the batter side works surprisingly well, for me at least. The only reason I do have the pad is the drum resonates a little to much with out it in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 AM
SheLovesMyDrums SheLovesMyDrums is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Hey guys just bought a Pearl Vision and I want to mute the bassdrum a little. I want to put a pillow in there but how am I suppose to remove the bass drum head? I mean if I unscrew it will it still stay in tune? Or should I make a small hole on it? Whadaya think?

I'm kinda noob when it comes to drums so yeah... :P
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Clist203 Clist203 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Hows it all. Anyone use this sites technique for tuning? http://www.tunadrum.com/drum-set-tuning-intervals
Whats a good method?
__________________
my blog www.beginnerdrums.org
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 PM
tommydarden's Avatar
tommydarden tommydarden is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 10
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Im not sure if you've found your answer by now, but I would like to impart my thoughts. I currently play a Pacific by DW X7. While it doesn't give the same tonality of my old cocbolo Collector's Custom DW, it still sounds great. For my bass drum tuning, the sound I am trying for is punchy, with just enough resonance to be melodic. I achieved this by using a KickPort, a small piece of egg carton foam about 6 inches wide and the same depth as the bass drum, and tuning the batter and resonant heads differently. My batter head is slightly more loose te resonant. Sometimes, you'll see other drummer's resonant head wrinkle, but, for the sound I want, I tightened it slightly, just taking the wrinkle out. There's not much need for any type of special tool for this tuning... simply tap the edge of the head near the rim until you feel you have an even sound once you think you have the tension where you want it. The same for the batter head. The tension is mainly from feel. Once you have the rough sound down, you can fine tune it from there. If you're going for a more "thrash metal" or "speed metal" sound, then tightening the batter head will help with the "click" you often hear in bands like Slipknot, as well as more muffling. The beater has a good deal to do with this too. I use Purecussion Speedball beaters, as does Terry Bozzio, and they are fantastic at bringing out the timbre of the drum. The heads have a great deal to do with the sound as well. Try Remo's Powerstroke 4. It has been very versatile to me. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM
drum tuning guru drum tuning guru is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 4
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Hi All...
Here is a recent review I did of the Kickport..


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7B4lVYqrhQ&feature=plcp
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Piebe's Avatar
Piebe Piebe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Frozenlands of Holland
Posts: 394
Default Re: What can i do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbig View Post
Thry this, take the blanket out tune the reso head up to med-hi tention and the batter to a med- lo tention.This is not absolute you will have to find the tention combo that works best for your drum and heads but it should get you close. You definately don't need a blanket with an emad but the emad reso might help. Let me knpw if this helps.
Even though you posted this six years ago i just tried it and now i am able to make my 18" kick sound like a muffled 22"!!! What a great tip! My muffling days with pillows and blankets are over now cause it sure feels good to hear a dry kick (just a dry as with the blanket) clearly even when i play tip toe. I now treat my kickdrum the same like i do my snare, the reso as tight as possible = no resonation and the beater side is the side you regulate the tone with.

Last edited by Piebe; 10-23-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Chris Perra Chris Perra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 85
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

I like to use a resonator to get the best of both worlds,, muffled and open..

You need 2 mics though





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXoKj4Ybj4A
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 AM
gmiller598's Avatar
gmiller598 gmiller598 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 151
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Question for fine tuning my new Ludwig Epic kit.

I have a 22" bass in the euro set up. I am trying to get a comfortable set up to help improve my double bass skills. I think I have my pedal setup relatively comfortably now but but I'm wondering what steps I need to take with my bass drum. I feel like the head is really kicking back on my pedal making it harder to control. What should I do?

1. De-tune the batter head?
2. Add more muffling in side the drum? I have a blanket in there now.
3. Add a port hole. I'm getting a vibe that my bass drum isn't moving enough air and that's where the kickback is coming from.

Which if these setups would help me get a bit more control over the head response?
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 AM
Fred_Smif's Avatar
Fred_Smif Fred_Smif is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyfitz View Post
Help! I've experimented with the' floor tom as a bass drum' concept a few times - Mostly with underwhelming results. Usually the toms are not loud enough. I'm currently working on a tiny kit concept, using a 14X14 tom as the bass drum (turned on its side, elevated enough for the bass beater to hit the center of the head.) I've been able to tune the drum very low with no rattle. The note is perfect. The issue I'm running into is LOTS of resonance. This tiny little drum sounds like a marching band bass. I'm using a Remo Ambassador Weatherking (coated) for the batter side head and an uncoated Ambassador Weatherking for the resonant head, no internal muffling, and no vent holes in the resonant head. I would like to cut the resonance (somewhat) without affecting the rather gorgeous note. Any ideas/suggestions/experience/advice? Please help me... I'm at a loss. I think I could use different heads but don't know what, and although I've used muffling in various drums, I don't like to. Has anyone converted a tom this small to a bass drum? If so, what made it sound *thumpy*? Any ideas welcome...
Try using moongels on it. I've done that with an 18" micro kick before as slight resonance dampening.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
badissias badissias is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Hi folks. I have full aluminium shells; no need for pillows, dampers etc.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 11-04-2013, 12:46 AM
dbshorter's Avatar
dbshorter dbshorter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 115
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

I imagine this topic has been covered, but I scrolled for a good while and didn't see anything...

What are you folks' experiences with getting the best sound out of a 22x14 kick drum? I have an old Ludwig kit with that size kick drum, and its been kind of intimidating for me to try and figure out tuning, head selection, dampening, etc...Any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
nickjd nickjd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

I'm tuning both heads to F# on my SCB with stock heads. Goes thump alright. No dampening.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Arkstra
This message has been deleted by Arkstra. Reason: will post elsewhere for more views. No real information on tuning. Seems irrelevant.
  #260  
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM
longgun's Avatar
longgun longgun is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,423
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by badissias View Post
Hi folks. I have full aluminium shells; no need for pillows, dampers etc.
That's a good looking bass drum....................do you have a whole kit like it?
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 12-24-2013, 03:03 PM
idolking idolking is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

I found a product on the web called DRUM BOOGERS drum head dampeners. They come in different shapes and sizes which is supposed to let you dial in on the overtone you wish to eliminate. Don't know if they are available in UK but you can check around. Anybody else ever hear of them?
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Eyamsiyu's Avatar
Eyamsiyu Eyamsiyu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 41
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

I've got myself an 18x22 PDP M5 maple. It works well enough for now, as a college student studying. The only issue I am having right now is the volume and sound from it.

I have my method of tuning that works well for me. The batter to resonant head relation is a perfect fifth in pitch apart, and this is mostly for the effect of rebound, and low amount of sustain. But it just does not seem to be loud enough when not in the practice room.

Right now, I do have an Evans EQ pad inside, and two Gibraltar felt strips set up on it (one on batter one on reso). The EQ pad isn't touching either of the heads, as of now. Also, the current heads on there are EMAD Onxy batter and EMAD reso (but without any of the foam inserts). I figure removing either the pad or the felt will help, but the big thing I am hoping to avoid more than anything is too much resonance...

At this point, I assume the best option to get a louder, more open sound without too much extra resonance may be to replace the current heads on the kick... like maybe using the EQ1 heads. Any advice?

Basically what I am trying to go for is more volume without too much obnoxious ring. At this point, I normally don't play any gigs where the kick drum is set up with a mic, and when it is, it is not my own kit. So I am trying to get more range from it to be able to better hear the balance between everything on my kit. Whatever that may mean, I'm game for it.

Last edited by Eyamsiyu; 03-08-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 03-10-2014, 03:32 AM
The SunDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyamsiyu View Post
I've got myself an 18x22 PDP M5 maple. It works well enough for now, as a college student studying. The only issue I am having right now is the volume and sound from it.

Basically what I am trying to go for is more volume without too much obnoxious ring. At this point, I normally don't play any gigs where the kick drum is set up with a mic, and when it is, it is not my own kit. So I am trying to get more range from it to be able to better hear the balance between everything on my kit. Whatever that may mean, I'm game for it.

It's difficult to get more raw volume. I play a 20" and volume is its one weak point. I have tried every head combo there is. You can use self damping heads front and back to control over ring which will let you remove all internal muffling
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 PM
nickjd nickjd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Some of you guys have the most whacked out ideas for tuning. It's simple, if you have a piano, guitar, bass, uke, tuner whatever.

Tune your batter and reso the same pitch (especially if they are different thickness) Tune the heads a Minor 3rd lower in the next octave up to reach the desired fundamental OR a major 6th higher, depending on your outlook on life.

For example a 20 x 16" kick sounds great at G, so tune both heads to E above.

This tone can be found around about 1-2" from the edge of the tuning lug. Stick your bass drum ontop of a spinny stool or computer chair and rotate and tune up. That way you are hearing the same mode every time as there are quite a few modes on round membrane.

To get a PHAT tone, you need TONE, so tune it up higher than you think you should. Don't worry about dampening with pillows, that boom is what carries your sound in the mix.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 PM
The SunDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjd View Post
Some of you guys have the most whacked out ideas for tuning. It's simple, if you have a piano, guitar, bass, uke, tuner whatever.

Tune your batter and reso the same pitch (especially if they are different thickness) Tune the heads a Minor 3rd lower in the next octave up to reach the desired fundamental OR a major 6th higher, depending on your outlook on life.

For example a 20 x 16" kick sounds great at G, so tune both heads to E above.

This tone can be found around about 1-2" from the edge of the tuning lug. Stick your bass drum ontop of a spinny stool or computer chair and rotate and tune up. That way you are hearing the same mode every time as there are quite a few modes on round membrane.

To get a PHAT tone, you need TONE, so tune it up higher than you think you should. Don't worry about dampening with pillows, that boom is what carries your sound in the mix.
Well that settles it. I guess we can close this thread down.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 06-14-2015, 09:05 PM
samace samace is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

I took the coated ambassador off of my 22" Recording Custom kick and replaced it with an EMAD 2, with the larger ring in place. Front of the drum came with a 10" hole in the center and a pillow. I took the pillow out, tuned the EMAD to just above wrinkled and then tightened it up to the beater response I liked. I LOVE the sound. Never had a kick that was so deep in the basement. And I have zero laundry inside the drum. I'm going to put a new front head on with no hole, and then try it with just a 4" or less hole.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 09-18-2015, 09:24 PM
2bsticks's Avatar
2bsticks 2bsticks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waltham Ma
Posts: 1,770
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Looking for assistance. I have a 22x14 Slingerland 1971 era 3 ply maple, poplar, mahogany shell. I just bought an Aquarian modern vintage 2 head, the reso head is Aquarian regulator with an offset hole. This head has band logo. Currently there is nothing in the drum, looking for that nice classic boom. Hearing many different ways of tuning. Batter, tighter, batter looser, no added muffling in the bass, add muffling. What works?
__________________
Yamaha, Slingerland, Zildjian, Sabian.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 10-03-2015, 09:24 PM
jackplaysdrums's Avatar
jackplaysdrums jackplaysdrums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ballymoney, N.Ireland
Posts: 50
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Anyone want to chip in on this-

Im finding that my bass drum is quite attack-y sounding, you get quite a lot of the beater click and id like to dial that out.

Im running a Remo Natural Fiberskyn on redo side with a hole, and a PS3 coated batter side. There is a pillow inside the kick drum. Felt beater. No patch. The batter head is tuned quite low and the reso a bit higher.

Any ideas for me?
__________________
Sonor SQ2
Sonor SQ2
Sonor Birch Infinite
Sonor Vintage Series
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 10-11-2015, 06:27 AM
xGIRTHx xGIRTHx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 14
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum. Anyone have any experience with a 20x14 BD? I just bought a kit with that size and I'm excited to start experimenting with different tuning to see what it will do. I ordered a new head (which I always do when I get a new kit) and I'm going to try a kickport for the first time. The drum is Birch and I'm putting a SKII on it and port on the stock front head. I'm aware of the mixed opinions on the kickport but I figured I'd pick one up and decide for myself whether it makes a different or not. I have a pretty good knowledge of most things drums but look forward to learning so much more.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 10-31-2015, 02:23 PM
blinky's Avatar
blinky blinky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 390
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Hi, I'm on a quest to get the bass drum sound I hear in my head. I have a 18" New Classic bass drum and I have tried Remo PS and Evans Emad heads, as well as buying a Sennheiser e602ii mic. I'm playing classic rock, ranging from Pink Floyd to Deep Purple but the bd sound I'm looking for is more jazzy, somewhat like Jaco's drum sound on Teen Town. I don't even know why I bought the Emad, probably too much dampening on that. I'm thinking of trying the Aquarian Modern vintage but some input would be welcome since bd heads are pricey. I'm also thinking of a new beater, a Vintage bomber or the Vic Firth's eqvivalent instead of my regular felt beater.
__________________
I think, therefore I am, I think...
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 10-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Vintage Old School's Avatar
Vintage Old School Vintage Old School is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,085
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Hi, I'm on a quest to get the bass drum sound I hear in my head. I have a 18" New Classic bass drum and I have tried Remo PS and Evans Emad heads, as well as buying a Sennheiser e602ii mic. I'm playing classic rock, ranging from Pink Floyd to Deep Purple but the bd sound I'm looking for is more jazzy, somewhat like Jaco's drum sound on Teen Town. I don't even know why I bought the Emad, probably too much dampening on that. I'm thinking of trying the Aquarian Modern vintage but some input would be welcome since bd heads are pricey. I'm also thinking of a new beater, a Vintage bomber or the Vic Firth's eqvivalent instead of my regular felt beater.
Don't know the exact sound you're after but you may consider trying an Aquarian Force I (clear or coated) for your batter and an Aquarian Modern Vintage with the felt strip as a non-ported reso.
Start there, if it needs some dampening place an Evans EQ Pad inside and experiment with the small side touching the batter head in varying degrees.
You may also consider trying a Vic Firth VicKick VB1 felt beater in either the radial or flat position. If that doesn't give you enough "oomph" then try a Danbar Zoro model 206S square felt beater.
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 10-31-2015, 08:05 PM
geezer's Avatar
geezer geezer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Francisco (Irish ex-pat)
Posts: 421
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

I have an Aquarian Force 1 on the batter side and the stock Gretsch head on the resonant side of my 18 inch Brooklyn bass drum and it sounds awesome. On my 18 inch Club Custom bass drum I have a Fiberskyn head on the resonant side and an Aquarian Modern Vintage head with the felt strip on the batter side, it also sounds great. It has a boomier, more open sound than the Gretsch bass drum/head combo. The Gretsch tunes lower better in my opinion, and has a great kinda "heartbeat" feel to the sound.

I have both the Vater Bomber beater and the Vic Kick fleece beater - the Vater one provides a more distinct sound to my ears - it's core is wooden vs. the Vic Kick's felt core. The Vic Kick is softer and a little less distinct sounding.
__________________
2015 Gretsch Brooklyn/Bosphorus
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 10-31-2015, 08:54 PM
blinky's Avatar
blinky blinky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 390
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Don't know the exact sound you're after but you may consider trying an Aquarian Force I (clear or coated) for your batter and an Aquarian Modern Vintage with the felt strip as a non-ported reso.
Start there, if it needs some dampening place an Evans EQ Pad inside and experiment with the small side touching the batter head in varying degrees.
You may also consider trying a Vic Firth VicKick VB1 felt beater in either the radial or flat position. If that doesn't give you enough "oomph" then try a Danbar Zoro model 206S square felt beater.
The sound I'm after is open, boomy, focused, warm and round and as jazzy as I could get away with playing rock. I have a Gretsch reso head that I want to keep, just get rid of the Emad, and replace it with a non-dampened head, single ply I would think.
__________________
I think, therefore I am, I think...
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 10-31-2015, 08:56 PM
blinky's Avatar
blinky blinky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 390
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
I have an Aquarian Force 1 on the batter side and the stock Gretsch head on the resonant side of my 18 inch Brooklyn bass drum and it sounds awesome. On my 18 inch Club Custom bass drum I have a Fiberskyn head on the resonant side and an Aquarian Modern Vintage head with the felt strip on the batter side, it also sounds great. It has a boomier, more open sound than the Gretsch bass drum/head combo. The Gretsch tunes lower better in my opinion, and has a great kinda "heartbeat" feel to the sound.

I have both the Vater Bomber beater and the Vic Kick fleece beater - the Vater one provides a more distinct sound to my ears - it's core is wooden vs. the Vic Kick's felt core. The Vic Kick is softer and a little less distinct sounding.
Going to have a look at Force 1, and maybe the Vater Bomber then.
__________________
I think, therefore I am, I think...
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 11-01-2015, 08:42 PM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,595
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Going to have a look at Force 1, and maybe the Vater Bomber then.
I'm a big fan of the Force 1 heads and currently have coated versions on all of my bass drums. For me, they seem to have just the right amount of muffling to allow for an open sound that still works well with close mic'ing.
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:26 AM
The SunDog
This message has been deleted by The SunDog.
  #276  
Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 PM
oceter oceter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 42
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Hi guys ! I just bought new sonor vintage kit with 20 bass drum. Im looking to tune it as low as possible, cause i saw it tuned it that way. But is it normall that the claw hooks are moving, i mean if i touch them with some force they are not staying in place on hoop. Also is it normal that hoop is not perfectly in size with head so on one side it can be about half inch out and on opposite side half inch inside head ? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 08-08-2016, 05:01 AM
mrfingers's Avatar
mrfingers mrfingers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 412
Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

Oceter, my vintage Slinglander bass was out-of-round and any new heads had a 1/4" gap on either directly opposite side. I snugged one side so the gap was gone and stuck a 15" strip of foam core into the opposite side. Works ok, a little air leak's not any worse than air lost thru a port.

Tighten the claws so they don't move when wiggled otherwise no tension is being applied to the head. Usually a 1/2 or full turn of the rods.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com