DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM

Default Re: BASS DRUM TUNING

what should i put in my bass drum to give it more of a punch sound
Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Dude, I own a Catalina Maple and changed my bass drum batter head to an Emad double ply, ported the stock resonant and it just sounded amazing. A lot of bottom and the resonance was great. But my music is not rock or metal I had to damp the resonant to have a simple hard punch with plenty of BOOOOMMM ! ! ! So, I used a muffle from Remo and cut a lot of resonance, yet loud and hard. By the way I can't stand pillows and quilts inside bass drums. Sorry guys!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoreking81 View Post
One thing I figured out with my kick is that if you remove 3 lugs on the reso head, you get a really awesome punchy sound, just make sure the rim on the reso side is wood, or else you will get a metallic ring that sounds kinda crappy
I wouldn't recommend that. You're putting more stress on the head in uneven distances and that won't give the sound its full potential. Best to loosen all the lugs a little bit instead of a couple of them completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordster1991 View Post
what should i put in my bass drum to give it more of a punch sound
I have a 22x18 kick and I love the punch I get out of it. Batter's tuned to an A note, reso is just above wrinkle point. There's a small built in pillow touching only the batter head but not the reso. Also the reso has a 5" hole at the 8 o'clock position. Sounds so good, especially with the EQ4 batter and PS3 reso combo I have on right now. If you want punch, you need to tune the batter HIGHER than the reso, contrary to what a lot of drummers think.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM

The main rule is to tune it so your skin has ripple and then tighen it untill there are no ripples, but not too tight.
Just enough so it dosent make a horrible noise from being too loose
Old 07-10-2010, 05:07 PM

The problem with this sort of question is that head choice, tuning and "punch" is so incredibly subjective to individual's ears and HOW they play the drum. However, that being said I can give you some hints from tons of sessions I used to do in nyc. First of all I personally rarely use these newer heads like the emad,super kick or the powerstroke. I find these heads lifeless and although they sound decent or even great from behind the kit they lack specific character out front. But if ya choose one make sure its a single ply. I personally prefer the CS Black Dot (on clear or smooth white) for great lows, and ambassador if the situations needs highs or a pinstripe. Felt strips work great as do those remo rings that fit on the inside of the bearing edge that were popular in the early 90's, especialy with the pinstripes btw. I'd start with a great head and make sure its on evenly. Be sure the reso is in good shape and has plenty of ring. This is a starting point. Then start adding damping after its been tuned up a notch or two past the rippled point. I typically use more than a towel and less than a full blanket. I'll also sometimes put small foam pieces around the port hole and/or around the batter head in the 9 oclock and 3 oclock positions. And I'll focus great attn. to the tension rods in the 10,11,1 and 2 oclock positions. Its in these rods where the "punch" lies. You sometimes gotta detune other parts of the drum, making the tensioning uneven, but trust me bringing these up or down once the drums been tunes will give your drum more or less punch. This is how Jim Keltner does all his drums.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:34 PM

The same basic principles of drum agreement also apply to bass drums. You can adjust it to your liking. For a sound resonance, using the same techniques for both heads of the drum setting. This is beneficial for the traditional styles like jazz, where the bass drum is more of a melodic voice, plays more like toms. In this context, a bass drum can sing and a skilled player can get many votes to use exceptional foot control
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 AM

Default Re: THE BASS DRUM TUNING THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post

For miked situations we keep a ported PS3 reso on hand, as well as a rolled-up towel just in case. Many inexperienced sound guys just cannot handle an unported reso and rather than argue (or have them eyeing the reso with a box cutter in hand) we give them what they want. (They're responsible for how you're going to sound and there's no profit in pissing them off.) Still, no pillows or blankets, they're just not necessary in most cases. We might put the rolled up towel against the reso if they still complain of boominess.
Hello, I am a fairly experience sound engineer (it is how I make my living, not just a hobby).

The level of experience has nothing to do with an engineer's request to place a mic inside the shell of the kick.

The reason mics are placed inside the drum in a live scenario are primarily to do with 'gain before feedback'. Inside the drum there is a higher SPL and generally the closer towards the batter head you position the mic, the 'tighter', 'thinner' and 'punchier' the sound will be. Further back and closer to the response head the sound will be more 'rounded' have more 'body' and can sound more 'flabby'. It's difficult to describe these differences in sound, but easy to hear them! Now if you restrict mic positions to outside of the drum the engineer has less control over the sound, sure it still makes a difference where abouts you mic the response head, but it makes much less of a difference.

Doing live sound with a proper PA indoors and outdoors there is a serious rick of low frequency feedback or 'ringing' which obviously is unwanted. As I said before, outside of the drum you have lower SPL, this means you have to turn the mic up more to achieve the same kick drum level in the mix which makes feedback considerably more likely and sometimes means the kick just has to be kept at a lower level to avoid the ringing. Bare in mind that subs are almost completely omnidirectional in the lower registers so this can be a problem outdoors too but indoors the problem can be even worse because vibrations are transmitted physically by the structure of the building, through wooden floors, staging etc.

The response head does not sound the same at all as the batter head, when you place a mic close up to the response head as is necessary to avoid feedback and spill from other instruments on stage you are essentially hearing the sound only of that skin. This is not what you hear in real life, you hear the sounds of both skins, the drum itself resonating etc etc usually at a distance of at least 2m. In the studio environment it's possible to mic the drum much further away to achieve a more natural sound, live this is not possible.

More often than not, un-ported bass drums mic'd in live gigs just sound flabby with no attack and there's almost nothing the engineer can do about it. If there's space I'd mic the batter side of drum, but often spill from the snare can be a problem, especially if you want to highlight 'click' of the kick drum with EQ. Failing all else and without using a stanley knife I'd ask the drummer to remove the response head completely.

P.S. My favourite mic for a rock kick drum sound is the Shure Beta91 or SM91, these mics ONLY work placed inside the drum, outside is not an option.

P.P.S. I'm a fan of having no damping inside the drum, also I'm OK if the drummer prefers a pillow inside, as long as the drum sounds good I'm happy, I do know this, if the kit sounds good without being mic'ed it'll sound good through the PA!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 AM

Default Re: THE BASS DRUM TUNING THREAD

Just start off trying to get the best tone possible without any dampening or muffling, then work from there on making sure tension accross the head is even, and then just experiment and find the sound your looking for.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM

thanks for that chickenfizz nice to read your part of the story!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 AM

I recently got my new TAMA superstar it has 2 bass drums, and i was puzzled by the amount of reverberation coming from it, so i taped down 1 bed spread in each bass, and then got some of the foam from the packing and taped it down to the front heads, it has a rich thud to it, i use Aquarian heads on the bass and they are perfect ;) i also tune the front head tighter then the back.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Discovered something new yesterday with bass drum tuning and the kickport

I was tuning my bass drum to the lowest possible note on both heads
deep thunderous type sound.

I started slowly tuning the resonant head up 1/2 turn at each lug
after about halfway around the drum I began to hear the sound
start to get progressively punchier...by the time I finished turning the last lug
the tone was punchy, the pitch actually got deeper and the drum was noticably louder
Not sure what interval I hit in the pitch relation between batter and resonant
but was definately "the magic zone"

and it suprised me that tuning the resonant head that much higher
produced such a HUGE sound.

I guess I had never experimented with tuning the resonant head that much higher
than the batter but it is my forever new tuning method for the kick.

Batter tuned to the lowest possible note
then slowly tuning the resonant head up until it hits that "magic zone":

[edit]
I figured I'd try this on my toms as well and I am really impressed with tone and feel on toms as well
The drums really "come alive" when you tune that resonant head up. Makes them louder and punchier
and the response you get from the heads is bouncier even when the batter is pretty low.

My new favorite tuning.

Last edited by Spectron; 01-28-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: toms too
Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac A View Post
I recently got my new TAMA superstar it has 2 bass drums, and i was puzzled by the amount of reverberation coming from it, so i taped down 1 bed spread in each bass, and then got some of the foam from the packing and taped it down to the front heads, it has a rich thud to it, i use Aquarian heads on the bass and they are perfect ;) i also tune the front head tighter then the back.
I don't use any dampening for the bass drum - Just a dampened head that i couldn't live without - my aquarian superkick2 :-)
Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectron View Post

I was tuning my bass drum to the lowest possible note on both heads
deep thunderous type sound.

I started slowly tuning the resonant head up 1/2 turn at each lug
after about halfway around the drum I began to hear the sound
start to get progressively punchier...by the time I finished turning the last lug
the tone was punchy, the pitch actually got deeper and the drum was noticably louder

I guess I had never experimented with tuning the resonant head that much higher
than the batter but it is my forever new tuning method for the kick.

Batter tuned to the lowest possible note
then slowly tuning the resonant head up until it hits that "magic zone":

[edit]
I figured I'd try this on my toms as well and I am really impressed with tone and feel on toms as well
The drums really "come alive" when you tune that resonant head up. Makes them louder and punchier
and the response you get from the heads is bouncier even when the batter is pretty low.

My new favorite tuning.
Tuning any drum has always seemed to me trial and error. Hours and hours. This is due in some part to conflicting advice.

Now don't get me wrong. I believe you when you stated that having the resonant head tighter than the batter produced the "magic zone". You also indicated that it got, "progressively punchier" and "the tone was punchy". A punchier sound is what I was trying to achieve on my bass drum and it's kind of there but it was based off of the following advice:

"For more punch (as in a more defined sound) tune the batter side up in pitch 1-2 notes (even as much as 4-5 notes on some drums) from the resonant side. The resonant side will need to be very close to the wrinkle stage to also have a deep note to the otherwise higher pitched batter head. Itís easier to hear a good low resonant tone from the resonant side without a pillow touching that head. Avoid the temptation to keep the batter side real low and loose in pitch. All this does is give more of a plastic "slap" type sound when tuned this way. The batter side really needs to be up higher in pitch than most think to make the drum pop out of the mix."

The above is from the Drum Tuning Bible by Prof. Sound, (Scott Johnson). That guide is highly respected by me and many others but it just goes to show you that what works for some may not work for others. Thanks for the tip - I'll try your approach!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:

My new favorite tuning.
I believe this video of Jeff Ocheltree on the Bohnam kit confirms your finding.Scroll to 2:35 onward...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqHqADnREY
Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 AM

I have a sonor force 1007 kit that sounds pretty good but i want to make it sound the best its possible what i ve to do??
Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Ok. So I can't be bothered to read the whole of this thread...

I REALLY want my kick drum to punch. Like... Feel it in the chest punch. Has anyone ever thought of tuning by frequency, not by note? 60-80Hz is where you tend to feel it more than hear it. I am using Evans EMAD2 Clear batter and Evans EMAD Resonant. Kick drum size it 22(w) x 20(d). Shell is 8-plu maple. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumzildjian View Post
Ok. So I can't be bothered to read the whole of this thread...

I REALLY want my kick drum to punch. Like... Feel it in the chest punch. Has anyone ever thought of tuning by frequency, not by note? 60-80Hz is where you tend to feel it more than hear it. I am using Evans EMAD2 Clear batter and Evans EMAD Resonant. Kick drum size it 22(w) x 20(d). Shell is 8-plu maple. Thanks in advance.
Note and Frequency are synomomous. If you tune by note, you tune by frequency, and visa versa.

I have never tuned my bass drum to a note/frequency, but you may be on to something...
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

frequency to note chart:

http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm

I Like tuning my 18x22 to it's lowest note: B
I tune the resonant head up until the two heads together form a chord
it's probably F# but anyway the final result
punches you into next week...lol
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
frequency to note chart:

http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm

I Like tuning my 18x22 to it's lowest note: B
I tune the resonant head up until the two heads together form a chord
it's probably F# but anyway the final result
punches you into next week...lol
Great find! Thanks for that. I heard that 60-80Hz is the biggest punch... I wouldn't have even thought about the relation between notes and frequency... Seems pretty bloody obvious now though! haha!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 AM

I like my bass drum to be between fast and punchy, and boomy. So I use a 22x18, and I use Remo's Powersonic batter head, and then a plane jane Remo UX res. head that came with the kit. I layed the duckt tape to it to somewhat muffle it, and then I put a thin pillow in the drum and rest it against the res. head. There's plenty of boom, but also very distinct attack.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThisDaysDrummer View Post
I like my bass drum to be between fast and punchy, and boomy. So I use a 22x18, and I use Remo's Powersonic batter head, and then a plane jane Remo UX res. head that came with the kit. I layed the duckt tape to it to somewhat muffle it, and then I put a thin pillow in the drum and rest it against the res. head. There's plenty of boom, but also very distinct attack.
Sounds good... But personally, Id rather not take a roll of duct tape to my heads. If you like the head so much you don't want to change it, you can use a remo muff'l. Its a pretty cool device that works really well. I used one on my Evans EQ1. Still a bit of resonance on the head, but still very controlled.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Okay I'm not sure if someone has already shared this technique already, but i tune my 22x18 bass emperor coated bass head tight batter, bottom two lugs tighter than top and sides, then resonant extremely lose without it sounding papery. cut 5" hole in reso and i use a wood beater. Extremely full sound with alot of attack.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM

I own a Gretsch Nighthawk. The bass drum is fitted with the original reso (resonant) head and the batter head is a "Peace DHE-107", which basically has a muffling ring built into the head... I just bought it three days ago. I also place a pillow against the reso side. The other day, I got the PERFECT sound, its was just so deep, punchy, and wholesome. I could feel it too, but I had to let my curiosity get the best of me and mess with it... Now it's lost, even after hours of experimenting. I'm just curious as how to tune my drum, because it sounds like slapping, kinda like plastic, and is no where near bass-y. It sounds like it did when I only used the batter head and a hoodie in place of a pillow.. Against which head do I place the pillow? What technique is best for tuning the bass drum?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM

I usualy tune my resonant head way down and have a small bit of muffling against it. Then i tune my batter head slightly up from that and i use a remo muffling ring on the back head. I have a Remo Acousticon 24/16 by the way. it produces a loud, low thud. it sounds very close to Jack Whites in the dead weather.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThisDaysDrummer View Post
LOL. I completely covered the inside of my reso head with duct tape once for muffling... it was sick. You could see it moving back and forth after you hit the batter head. So much low end! I probably won't ever do it again, but It was awesome!!

Last edited by wsabol; 09-19-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 AM

I own a black tama superstar. Check it out on youtube, channel is thejr1485.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

With my new kit, Pearl MCX master's, I am still tuning my resonant head very loose, and the batter just a little tighter. But, the difference is that now, the MCX, Pearl has installed a piece of rubber in the claw, I no longer have to use the tight-screw to keep the lugs from loosening while playing, and I am able to keep the lugs just barely tight enough to keep the head on the drum. My Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit, I still need the tight-screws to do the same thing. In effect, the loose resonant head has the same effect as a pillow inside the drum, because the loose head does not vibrate as much as a tighter head.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 AM

If you like the John Bonham type bass tuning then check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srpcb...eature=related

Here the guy in the video gives you a sound sample and then shows you what you'll need to get started tuning your drum to have that sound. I ordered the e-mailed video tuning lesson to get the whole enchilada and it works and its something you have to see to get the best understanding of the tuning concept involved. Do exactly what he is doing in the video lesson and it works. It's well worth the tiny investment to have this info at your disposal if bass drum tuning is driving you nuts (as it did to me!). I have a sound sample below in a thread about having my Ludwig Classic Maple kit finally dialed in. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM

I love bass drum's i want to use this kind of drum this is my dream's...
Old 08-14-2011, 08:10 PM

I play a 28x16 Yamaha marching kick with a clear Remo CS on the batter and a smooth white ambassador on the reso. Old towel cut up and used like felt strips about a quarter of the way up on the batter and resonant. And yes, I do have a hole on the reso. For now anyway. I tune very tight! The batter has very pronounced overtones when struck with a stick near the edge, and I tune the overtones on the reso a 4th up from the batter (Here comes the bride.) It's super loud, very present, and totally rock and roll.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

I use an Emad 2 with the large ring install and have an 8" hole in the centre of my reso head - this adds a powerful projection with a rumble and tone that is just right.

Most will tell you that putting a hole dead centre is sacrilige, but it gives me an awesome sound!

Last edited by Netz Ausg; 09-19-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

putting a hole bigger than 7" pretty much renders the front head useless.... most of the sound you'll be getting is straight from the beater.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

I have to beg to differ - the tone without a reso at all is vastly different. I get just enough resonance from the head for the sound - and no internal muffling needed as a result.
I'm not playing jazz with this, though - it's a mahogony rockstar 22 x 18, tuned way down for maxium low end.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

... an 8" hole in the center... all the air from your beater is being pushed directly out...... there's nothing for it to resonate on...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Silver Member

Eh - I know the theory. I also know it works and it sounds killer.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aquarian-Bass...item2c5edacd42

$61.79 for a 22" super kick, a ported regular front head and a double kick pad with free shipping in the USA, no extra muffling needed, great sound from great heads at a great price.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 PM

tune both heads tighter than you think, doesn't need any dampening unless you like thuddy clicky sounds.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Update on my kick reso situation...

I'm now running an EMAD reso as my new project needs a more rounded tone. The centre port was fine for my previous metal enterprise, but I'm playing pop, rock n roll, funk and soul (no metal at all) and so the attack driven sound is no longer viable.

I still have the old heads though for a more clicky sound.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 PM

Tuning my basses is not near as hard as it used to be.

With the improvement in claws and in the structure of heads, my bass drums sound great without the required effort of earlier claw models and heads.

I have two new 22 X 18 drums and I put the PS3 on both sides............wow !

The only challenge is to get them to sound identical.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM

for quality drums and other music instruments --> drum equipment