DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Tuning the EMAD2

i usually only finiger tighten my kick drum heads. I then mic inside the kick drum close to the shell pointing at the beater at an angle then scooping the mids from the board keeping lows and highs default and cranking the volume a bit louder than usual for my band.

siiicckkk clicky, powerful, great for metal-hxc-grindcore
Old 09-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: THE BASS DRUM TUNING THREAD

Free the bass drums! I finally took the pillow out of my kick and it's much more open, sounds so much better. My parents upstairs also noticed the difference in sound (my dad said his computer chair was rumbling from the noise :P). I'm looking into something like the Evans EQ pad to help control some of the overtones, and shorten the sustain so I still get the boom without too much rumbling.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

I use the Evans EQ pad and it works great, I recommend it.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 PM

it completly depends on taste on how you tune your bass drum. Progressive drummers like Mike Portnoy and Neil Peart have their bass drums at a very low tuning and hardly any dampening. Were as jazz drummers use a fair bit of dampening and higher tuning.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Tuning the kick/bass drum

Hi, i'm currently not happy with how my bass drum sounds so i wanted to experiment with new sounds. Hopefully you guys can help

1) How do people tune their kick drum so they get a nice, rich, boom sound when they hit it?

2) How do people tune their kick so they get a click sound? For example listen to Jeff Kummer the drummer in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er_yYzd7NUo

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tuning the kick/bass drum

look up bass drum tuning in search. Tons of threads already..
Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 PM

To aydee: thanks for telling me but i already did that before posting.

My question was how to get particular sounds, not how to muffle or which skins to buy. I actually want to get a click or a boom which I cant seem to get on my kick.The other threads mostly talked about rough tuning and muffling and what skins to choose.

Someone said using a wooden beater would help get a click, but is there a particular way of tuning to enhance the sound?

Could someone tell me how to tune a kick so i get a click or a boom as in tune medium/ tight/ loose? Thank you
Old 11-24-2007, 09:41 PM

To get a "boom" try tuning the batter and reso head to the same (or close) note/pitch. Not to low though or it will not resonate.
When you do hit the bass drum remember not to leave the beater into the head. Meaning let the beater impact the head then let up on your foot a little so there is no contact between the beater and the head after the impact.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 AM

To get the click years ago I used to use a lot of muffling and had a coin taped to the batter head with gaff tape.

I use a 20x14 so my boom isn't big, but I don't use thick heads on it and one or two pieces of dacron (cortelle) in the bottom for some muffling. I play heel down and don't leave the beater in the head, it bounces off and I use a felt beater too.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

Have a look at the vids from Bob Gatzen on here or Youtube. The best vids I have seen about tuning are from that guy he is a legend.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 AM

Okay i'm gonna try it out today. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyl View Post
To aydee: thanks for telling me but i already did that before posting.

My question was how to get particular sounds, not how to muffle or which skins to buy. I actually want to get a click or a boom which I cant seem to get on my kick.The other threads mostly talked about rough tuning and muffling and what skins to choose.

Someone said using a wooden beater would help get a click, but is there a particular way of tuning to enhance the sound?

Could someone tell me how to tune a kick so i get a click or a boom as in tune medium/ tight/ loose? Thank you
also you could try Professor Sound's Tuning Bible, its got information on what you have to do to get that exact sound you want, and has information on what woods make what sounds plus anything you want to know about anything about tuning.

it helped me HUGELY

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id6.html.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:13 PM

Default HELP tuning a vintage bass drum

I have a set of '65 Slingerland's with a 20" bass drum. I have never been able to tune this drum properly without having to muffle it (pillow) to get a decent sound. Does anyone have any experience with this type of drum that could offer any head combination or general advice? Currently, I have a Remo CS Black Dot on the batter & a Remo Ebony pinstrip on the reso. Thanks for any tips..

Edit - I should mention there is currently NO hole on the reso head.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: HELP tuning a vintage bass drum

Mole skin. or "Moe skin"
Old 12-20-2007, 06:29 PM

Well, first off, using an ebony Pinstripe as resonant on this thinner bass drum might not be a good idea... that's probably a BIG reason why it sounds better without the front head, with no holes and no muffling the sound will be too weird, those two heads react very differently and the sound will be too dry when you have response and too dead when you have that low tone... I bet that's what's happening to you.

You could explore with other ebony heads such as ambassador... or maybe putting a hole in front and some minimal muffling... if you don't want muffling, I'd suggest using another batter head, maybe one with dampers such as EMAD and also a soft beater.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 PM
fourstringdrums

Your head choice is your first problem. Having a 1-ply batter with a 2-ply resonant is not a good combination. It should be the other way around.

For a vintage bass I would personally put two single-ply heads like an Ambassador on both sides, and use a felt strip to muffle both.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks guys. I knew that the head choice was an issue. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherbaker View Post
Thanks guys. I knew that the head choice was an issue. I appreciate the feedback.
Your current head should could work too for the time being, just switch the heads. Put a felt strip on the front head if it rings too much.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Your current head should could work too for the time being, just switch the heads. Put a felt strip on the front head if it rings too much.
Can't, see attached. :-(

This head was a gift (with my initials). I am thinking of changing the batter head & cutting a hole in the reso. I am hoping that will work nicely. You think the EMAD would be a good choice as Guillermo suggested ?
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Can't, see attached. :-(

This head was a gift (with my initials). I am thinking of changing the batter head & cutting a hole in the reso. I am hoping that will work nicely. You think the EMAD would be a good choice as Guillermo suggested ?
Yes the EMAD is a great head, but I would still be wary of using a 2 ply as the resonant, especially if you cut a hole in it. You may wind up with a dead sounding drum.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Being a Remo guy, my first batter choice would probably be a Powerstroke 3. Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Emperor, and Pinstripe as other choices. As much for looks as anything else, I like ebony reso. heads. I'd run an Ambassador weight reso.(if you want some open overtone) or a Powerstroke 3 (combined with a P3 batter, for a real tight, punchy sound) I find 20" kicks really don't need ports, least none that I've ever owned and/or played.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:01 AM

2 Words: Aquarian Superkicks. They are like magic, IMHO.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Pioneer Member

I actually got my Remo Fibre Skin last month and I only changed all the Batter to Fibre Skin as some says it will muffler too much of the sound if I have both Fibre skin(except for the Bass Drum - both Batter and Reso are Fibre). This Kit is a 1960s (Made In Japan but not an expensive kit) - the rest of the item eg Pedal, Snare Stands, Hi-Hat Stands I've just got it from ebay last month and the 1960s Pearl Script Badge is from Memphis Drum Shop

Ooops I forgot to add - The Kit came Originally with Acquarian Satin Batter & Reso before I changed it.

Last edited by RudimentalDrummer; 12-21-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Being a Remo guy, my first batter choice would probably be a Powerstroke 3. Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Emperor, and Pinstripe as other choices. As much for looks as anything else, I like ebony reso. heads. I'd run an Ambassador weight reso.(if you want some open overtone) or a Powerstroke 3 (combined with a P3 batter, for a real tight, punchy sound) I find 20" kicks really don't need ports, least none that I've ever owned and/or played.
Thanks for the input. I know it's not ideal, but do you see any way that I can make this 2-ply reso head work or do I need to change it completely?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Yes the EMAD is a great head, but I would still be wary of using a 2 ply as the resonant, especially if you cut a hole in it. You may wind up with a dead sounding drum.
Ouch. So, you don't see any way of keeping this reso head?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Ouch. So, you don't see any way of keeping this reso head?
Well you can, just put a 2-ply head on the batter side as well. I'm not a fan of a double 2 ply setup, but it will work. I just wouldn't cut a hole in it.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

I play on a 1966 Rogers set with a 20" bass. Not the same, I know, but probably fairly close. Here's what's worked for me. An Aquarian Superkick on the batter side with a Remo Ambassador reso. I have a narrow felt strip on the reso side. For jazz and other gigs when I'm playing completely acoustic this set-up works great. If I'm doing rock, blues, or things when I'm miked up I fold a thick terry-cloth hand towel and place it between the posts of my bass pedal and head. It takes just enough "boominess" out of the drum for close mikes. I've had a good number of drummers ask how I get that bass drum sound because it just seems to work very well. No magic, just a bunch of experimenting to find what works. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
I play on a 1966 Rogers set with a 20" bass. Not the same, I know, but probably fairly close. Here's what's worked for me. An Aquarian Superkick on the batter side with a Remo Ambassador reso. I have a narrow felt strip on the reso side. For jazz and other gigs when I'm playing completely acoustic this set-up works great. If I'm doing rock, blues, or things when I'm miked up I fold a thick terry-cloth hand towel and place it between the posts of my bass pedal and head. It takes just enough "boominess" out of the drum for close mikes. I've had a good number of drummers ask how I get that bass drum sound because it just seems to work very well. No magic, just a bunch of experimenting to find what works. Good luck.
Awesome. I was hoping someone had experimented to save me the trouble. :-)
I appreciate the info, looks like I will probably just bite the bullet and replace the reso head as well. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know it's not ideal, but do you see any way that I can make this 2-ply reso head work or do I need to change it completely?
I would hang it on the wall, 'cause it looks cool. I've run 20, 22, 24, 26, and 28 inch kicks and I've never found the Pinstripe head to be a good reso. head. But your ears and my ears, what I like and what you like...? I kinda think you're chasing a ghost on this one, though.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I would hang it on the wall, 'cause it looks cool. I've run 20, 22, 24, 26, and 28 inch kicks and I've never found the Pinstripe head to be a good reso. head. But your ears and my ears, what I like and what you like...? I kinda think you're chasing a ghost on this one, though.
I thought that is what you'd say. Thanks for the help, hanging it on the wall sounds like the best advise. ;-)
Old 01-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Tuning of kicks?

I want a nice, punchy sound to my kicks, and i hear that loose tuning is the way to go. Any suggestions or advice?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Tuning of kicks?

punchy= more tight.
if you want it deep and wobbly you should tune loose.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 PM

What type of sound are you looking for?
(the following are not a standard definition, they are just what I perceive them to be)

Metal ? - LOTS of attack with very short ring and an average low tone?

Warm and low?

Recording? low but with a little faster decay? doesn't ring so much

Very Low rumbling Bass? rings a lot and for a long time
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Hi Deathkick

The secret to getting a good punchy sound from your bass drum lies in the way that you set up the resonant head. First off set up the batter head with a low to medium tension, what works best will depend on you particular bass drum, drums tend to have a natural range in which they prefer to be tensioned. Tune your reso head as low as possible for your drum and tension it as evenly as possible, this will bring out the tone in the drum.

Most people like/need to have a hole in the reso head and the trick is to make that hole as small as possible, even the difference between a 4" hole and a 6" hole can make a big difference. Make sure that the hole is around 4" and you will find it easy to get a sound that's tight and punchy.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 01-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Loose is for fat, wet splatty sound...not alot of tone this way.
Medium tuning range will give you a tone but still keep a tight punch.
Tight.....it is harder to tune a kick drum with a tight head, but they can sound very nice...you will loose alot of the punch this way though. Bonham's 26 was tuned up pretty tight, but you have to with a 26" kick.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:23 PM

To Fett, yes, more of a Metal sound, i.e. Bobby Jarzombek or Gene Hoglan. A lot of Metal these days utilizes a really "clicky" sound with the kicks, but i want that hard punch with a deep tone. Not big and boomy ya know?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM

That clicky sound you are talking about is what most people call Attack - the sound of the beater hitting the head.

I'm not going to say I am great at tuning, but I do like to play with my bass drum and get it exactly like I want it. I have noticed that if I tune my bass to a nice low tone, I can adjust the length of ring and amount of attack by adjust the padding inside the drum. I'm not saying cram a lot of padding into your drum, don't do that.

What have experimented with:
I set up my bass with the batter head tuned how I like it, put the pedal on and left the reson head off. I took the tuning rods out of the front just cause I don't like to listen to them rattle. I placed an old very thin pillow on the bottom of the bass long-ways, so some of it was sticking out the front where the resonant head would be. Here is what I noticed...
If I took the end of the pillow and lifted it slightly in the air (it looks like the pillow is blocking the air from reaching the resonant head) this would shorten the ring. I only had to raise the end of the pillow to the center of the diameter of the bass, and this was a significant change. There was alot of attack and a small amount of ringing. I am sure this also has something to do with part of the pillow resting on the inside of the drum shell and the act of me raising the end of the pillow increases the surface area that vibrates, which would increase the decay, well thats my theory anyway.

Basically I used a padding to intercept the air moving from the batter head to the resonant head. The more I "blocked the air" the less ring there was.

Remember I did all this without a resonant head attached, if you attach and tune the reso head I'm sure you can get even more results.

This is just a "proof of concept" I am sure that someone will be able to explain it better than I can. In fact I hope that someone does.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM

wow Gene Hoglan! Shootin for the top huh?!? lol

lml DethKlok!!!! lml

that guy is amazing!

Good luck with your bass
Old 01-24-2008, 08:04 PM

I know!!! Dethklok rules!!!!!!!

And thanks for the tips Fett, they have been very useful.

KEEP IT METAL!!!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 AM

The clicking sound also contributes to the use of triggers on the kicks as well.