DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-07-2019, 06:34 AM

Default Turning a Floor Tom into a Kick Drum - tips?

Hi all,
I have an 18" floor tom sitting around and would like to use it as a kick drum for a mini kit. I don't want to get a bass drum hoop for it, so what's the best way to affix a pedal? The Dixson Riser looks like a good idea - anybody have experience with it? And, this is an old Slingerland 18" FT with four 9.5mm leg mounts, what are good spurs to get for the bottom pair and cymbal arms for the top pair? Thanks!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Turning a Floor Tom into a Kick Drum - tips?

I'd say grab a conversion kit. Pearl's I think is only for 16's, but Trick, Gibraltar, and others make them as well.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

There are lots of ways to DIY a riser. Check CompactDrums.com (in my sig)

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Old 01-07-2019, 09:38 PM

I use the Dunnett R-class Floor Tom to Bass Drum Conversion Kit.

For a little more than $100, you get bass drum spurs, a riser with a kick pedal attachment, and a clamp fora rack tom, cymbal, etc.

If you choose this option, be aware of the 2 versions: 10.5mm & 12.7 mm. You will have to do your research to figure out which version will fit the hardware of your drum.

edit: Just noticed your drum is 9.5mm
Old 01-08-2019, 01:04 AM

Don't spend the ridiculous cost of the Dunnett Conversion Kit!!

drumfactorydirect.com sells 'Gull Wing" type spurs for 9.5 mm brackets for pretty cheap:

https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/in...ducts_id=14148

As far as a riser, I've done a DIY with this method with good results with a minimum of labor and expense:

Find (plenty out there used) a cowbell or percussion foot pedal bracket (photo below). Those have a plate that the pedal clamps to and also have an adjustable L-arm via an eye bolt that the cowbell or percussion item mounts to. You'll have to acquire an additional floor tom leg bracket and drill two additional small holes at the bottom of the drum to install said bracket (to accommodate the the L-arm on the pedal bracket), but then you simply insert the horizontal part of the L-arm on the pedal bracket into the newly installed bracket at the bottom of the floor tom (now bass drum). I really like this system because not only does the L-arm adjust up and down, it also adjusts front to back (closer to and further from the head). Very solid also and it it's easy to remove and not bulky. The drum still easily fits in a case with the additional bracket at the bottom. You can also remove the spurs from the pedal bracket if you want; they are easily removable (you can see the wing nuts holding them on).

This is like the system that Sonor uses on the Martini and Safari kits, and that Odery uses on the Cafe Kit. Way better than any other riser system, hands down. The only downside I can see is having to install the additional bracket at the bottom of the drum, but to me it's worth it. Even if the bracket doesn't match the other three, it's at the bottom and no one will see it. If you ever wanted to put it back as a normal floor tom, you can still leave that additional bracket in place, and possibly mount a cowbell/block/whatever or splash from it.

NOTE: I use mine the opposite way the L-arm is pointing in the photo (the horizontal part of the L-arm faces to the right on mine vs. to the left in the photo), but you can use it either way, depending upon your needs.
Attached Images

Last edited by vyacheslav; 01-08-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:23 AM
Administrator - Mayor

This is the Dunnett set I got from Amazon. Not sure if it is still available . Same as EhhsoCheap mentioned.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

I used the Gibraltar floor tom riser and some old Ludwig fold out spurs I had for my 18.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Does everyone realize that before the 1990s, people actually played 18” bass drums not raised? And many people got great punchy sounds. Check out Peter Erskine on the Jaco Pastorius album “Invitation”. That’s a stock 14x18 bass drum that sounds great. Put hoops on your 18”, get those non-invasive hoop mount spurs, put your pedal on it and go to town. It works!

I think the people who marketed risers for 18” bass drums are behind DW’s 23” bass drum conspiracy and the RIMS maskirovka.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 PM

On an 18", I´d opt for wood hoops w/out riser as well but the OP stated that he doesn´t want to go there.

I have a 1st edition 16" Sonor Jungle bass drum which really is a floor tom with triple-flanged hoops - it has a riser that is both simple and sturdy, but unfortunately not availabe separately.

Here´s a nice overview:

http://compactdrums.com/bass-drum-riser-comparison/
Old 01-08-2019, 03:00 PM

If you can budget wood hoops, claws and rods, I’d do that. You only need one side.

If not then I’d do this...

https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/in...ducts_id=13483

https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/in...ducts_id=13267
Old 01-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Indeed! One of my favourite bass drums is a humble Yamaha Rydeen 18X15 with stock Yamaha heads. No riser. Everyone that hears it swear they heard a 20 or 22... It's all in the tuning and finding the sweet spot for the beater to hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Does everyone realize that before the 1990s, people actually played 18” bass drums not raised? And many people got great punchy sounds. Check out Peter Erskine on the Jaco Pastorius album “Invitation”. That’s a stock 14x18 bass drum that sounds great. Put hoops on your 18”, get those non-invasive hoop mount spurs, put your pedal on it and go to town. It works!

I think the people who marketed risers for 18” bass drums are behind DW’s 23” bass drum conspiracy and the RIMS maskirovka.

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Old 01-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does everyone realize that before the 1990s, people actually played 18” bass drums not raised? .... Put hoops on your 18”, get those non-invasive hoop mount spurs, put your pedal on it and go to town. It works!
In my case, cost. Riser was $36. And I needed it more because I needed to attach a pedal to the drum somehow. A wood hoop is $50, at least. Add T's and claws, now you've got a hundred buck experiment going.
At some point, I'll probably "make" a 18x12 (that was the Ludwig Jazzette kick dimension) by cutting down a 18x16 floor tom shell, but the $36 riser at least answered the question ..... "Do I even want one?"
Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not as concerned about raising the drum as I'm aware that 18" has been a common size for a long time, and I normally use a 20" anyway... I just want to avoid getting hoops because then it won't fit in the bag I have, and was wondering if there was some sort of adapter or removable solution to affix a pedal to a standard rim... kind of the tail wagging the dog I guess.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 PM

RE: wooden hoops, it seems you would have to replace the lugs on traditional floor toms for the tension rods to properly fit an 18" wooden bass hoop, from what I know. Otherwise, the tension rods will be tilting upwards to meet the hoop--> someone correct me if I'm wrong

Also, I believe GruntersDad showed off his BeeBop kit in an old thread and didn't seem to have much of a problem with not replacing the original lugs, but as a personal preference, I'd rather use the riser and do as few modifications as possible.

Thoughts?