DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default I have a really stupid question (cymbal topper)

Every once in a while, I'll see a drummer mount his cymbals with no felts and no wingnuts on the top of the cymbal. When this is done, it's almost like there's plenty of room on the threaded portion (where the wingnut usually goes). It also looks like there's plenty of "room" for the cymbal to swing around, almost like the cymbal sleeve is extra long. However, all of the cymbal sleeves I have are short, and there's no way I'd be able to do this.

Am I missing something in terms of hardware to be able to do this? How is this done? Is it a certain kind of cymbal stand that does this? Or just a really long cymbal sleeve (that apparently, I've never seen before). I know someone posted on another thread regarding interest in a product to do this, but I'm sure there are other products out there already.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2018, 06:35 PM

Default Re: I have a really stupid question (cymbal topper)

not a stupid question at all

I never use top felts or wing nuts
to me they are completely pointless and serve absolutely no purpose ... in about 99% of situations anyway

I use the regular black sleeves that come with the Yamaha 700 series stands

then I cut a piece of another sleeve or a piece of tubing from Home Depot of the same diameter to cover the thread between the original sleeve and the T top

the T top is made by Camber and is designed so that it never needs to come off ... you simply tilt the cymbal to get over the T

pics below

Old 12-14-2018, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with Tony. No need for felts on top. And no need for wing nuts on top.
I want my cymbals loose and able to sing out.
I was using what Tony uses. I loved them. One of mine broke. They don't make them any longer.
So I have been using Steve Maxwell cymbal toppers:

Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

I almost bought some snap on wing nuts made by Tama the other day.. Basically a hard plastic topper with 2 buttons.. you squeeze them to snap it on and and off.. pretty cool.
Wingnuts or whatever aren't useless.. if anyone has ever had a cymbal fall off a stand it's not a pretty site..
Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

This is great. Thanks!

As far as a felt on the bottom...do you take them off when you travel and maybe throw them in your stickbag or something?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:52 PM

The only reason I use a wing nut is to hold the sleeve down.

If I use only a washer, felt, and sleeve, the sleeve can ride up from the cymbal swinging around against it, and the metal threads could abrade the cymbal.

And a wing nut keeps me from losing the other parts... usually.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
This is great. Thanks!

As far as a felt on the bottom...do you take them off when you travel and maybe throw them in your stickbag or something?
no I just leave them on ... have never lost one ... never even had one come off

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxman View Post
I almost bought some snap on wing nuts made by Tama the other day.. Basically a hard plastic topper with 2 buttons.. you squeeze them to snap it on and and off.. pretty cool.
Wingnuts or whatever aren't useless.. if anyone has ever had a cymbal fall off a stand it's not a pretty site..
yes top felts and wing nuts are completely useless ...

the only reason for a top felt is to keep the cymbal from hitting the wing nut which serves no purpose in the first place ...pointless

At one point in time they did... when the threaded portion was very very short ... this is no longer the case

and the way I have it set up it is completely impossible for a cymbal to fall off

first the sleeve is too long and the cymbal has to be strategically maneuvered over the T topper

I also never spend one split second spinning a pointless wingnut

I beat the piss out of my cymbals at times and have never had one even come close to coming off ...

take a look at my pics ... absolutely impossible for that to happen

the only reason for ever using a top felt and wingnut would be for a very light splash cymbal or a swish or chinese cymbal mounted upside down ... thats it

any other situation a top felt and wing nut serves absolutely zero purpose

unless someone is trying to choke or control their cymbals with them ... in which case they need a lesson in how to play cymbals

people use them because they come with the stand and never even think about it ... because it is what we are programmed to do

they are useless

Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 12-14-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:12 AM
Administrator

I'm with Tony & Jim on the pointlessness of wingnuts & felts (except maybe holding a china in the vertical), only I use the grombal cymbal inserts (they stay fixed to the cymbal), plus the curved base component instead of the cymbal resting on felts. The base provides a degree of supported movement rather than the cymbal "rocking" on a hard felt.

Some component pictures + a top & bottom picture installed on my kit.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Senior Consultant

No need for top felts and wing nuts. I’ve done tours on shared backline kits and the hassle of keeping all those little pieces all together and spinning them on and off is so not needed when you have 7 minutes to set your kit up.

I’ve used the Aquarian plastic rubber things, they’re easy and fast to use but they do tend to break in the hardware bag. I’ve also used the camber t top.

Andy, that grombal setup you are using looks interesting. I might check it out.

I also use a Gibraltar quick release hihat clutch, no spinning if I can avoid it.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

@Tony.. so you're saying you can slide the cymbal on and off quickly by tilting it over the Camber topper - and the cymbal will never fall off, if say someone knocks your cymbal stand over or the elbow gives way or etc. etc.
If that's the case _I'm all in!
It's funny as I was looking for a better solution for wingnuts the other day...
Old 12-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

I acquired the Tama quick release cymbal topper, only use it to keep the felt and sleeve from falling off in transit. Need to get some t-toppers or the Steve Maxwell toppers.

Top felts are only used on chinas which I can't be bothered to gig anymore.

Not a silly question at all!
Old 12-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Zildjian recommends using top felts and wing nuts. I do it always. I guess I am too old not to, whatever that means. Peace and goodwill.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

I’ve recently replaced my 20 year old Sonor clamps with the Tama cymbal toppers for my gigging kits. I like a top felt and have the clamp just holding it in place. I don’t like cymbals bouncing around for ten seconds every time you crash them.

These clamps are easy to put on or off with one hand in one second, and can be screwed tighter or looser once they’re in place.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
I’ve recently replaced my 20 year old Sonor clamps with the Tama cymbal toppers for my gigging kits. I like a top felt and have the clamp just holding it in place. I don’t like cymbals bouncing around for ten seconds every time you crash them.

These clamps are easy to put on or off with one hand in one second, and can be screwed tighter or looser once they’re in place.
Me either!
I tried the 'naked' approach - cymbals moved too much for me- i obviously need one of whoistony's lessons!!
I've also tried the Tama cymbal mate's but they just kept pinging off.
So it felts and wingnuts for me... it's 5 seconds max. - 4 cymbals on and off = 40 secs per gig-hardly worth worrying about.

To each their own though.......
Old 12-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

I like the feel and sound of my cymbals without a top felt, but I play a lot of outdoor gigs and the wind will really flop my cymbals around (gusts of 20-30 mph are not uncommon where I live). I reluctantly went back to having felts on top because it helps to stabilize them a bit.

I like the grommets that Andy is using; I might have to try them (or something similar). I know there are rubber grommets at the hardware store that cleanly fit cymbal holes.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I use the grombal cymbal inserts (they stay fixed to the cymbal), plus the curved base component instead of the cymbal resting on felts. The base provides a degree of supported movement rather than the cymbal "rocking" on a hard felt.
I'm not much for gimmicks but I swear by the Grombal set up on all of my cymbals.
I'll never go back to traditional felts after trying the Grombal sleeves.
While you don't really need a wing nut I still use TAMA threaded Cymbal Mates for "cheap insurance."
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
I acquired the Tama quick release cymbal topper, only use it to keep the felt and sleeve from falling off in transit. Need to get some t-toppers or the Steve Maxwell toppers.

Top felts are only used on chinas which I can't be bothered to gig anymore.

Not a silly question at all!
I love my Tama quick release toppers, they work great, on some of my stands. Unfortunately, I still have three old stands that have much thinner posts, and the Tama's won't hold. I've tried Vaders too...no soup. Still searching for a quick release for the old stands.