DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Default Jazz album of the week...

Had an idea this morning, it requires assistance. I was thinking I love jazz and learning about jazz and listening. If some of our more knowledgeable jazz guys/gals felt like giving us a listening recommendation for the week that we could study, learn from that would be amazing. I would think ideas for albums could be based on revolutionary ideas, keeping time on a different medium, keeping time in a different way, new comping techniques, or just great playing, whatever may be noteworthy and help us grow and learn. Calling on the WhoIs's, Todds, 8miles, Alexs....all the folks I regularly learn from, apologies for calling folks out, in praise, and for missing those who have also helped me.

Anyone feel like playing, Id start but it would be like the student giving an assignment and Im hoping for some teachers input.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Jazz album of the week...

Hey, J-Boogie. I can't remember all the stuff you've checked out, so I may be repeating things you've already heard. But I never run out of albums I love sharing with others. So here's a couple, both of them piano trios.

Chick Corea—Now He Sings, Now He Sobs

This is Roy Haynes in great form. This album is historic as much for the ride cymbal sound that Roy gets as for the actual music. That's a Paiste Flat Ride that Chick asked Roy to play on this record. You can search the web and read stories about it. But Roy's playing within the context of a trio here made a big impression on me. Outstanding album, front-to-back.

Keith Jarrett—At The Blue Note (especially the track Autumn Leaves)

I'm going to zero in on one specific track here: Autumn Leaves. This is a breathtaking performance as far as I'm concerned. This is Jack DeJohnette on drums. What I love here is how this group never resorts to licks or cliches. It feels like pure improvisation all the time. They seem to have endless ideas and they all play together like a hive mind. Incredible group.

Hope these are new to you and I'm not telling you about something you already know. Enjoy!
Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

These are perfect, you nailed it! Two drummers I like and want more of, an album Ive always wanted to get into Chicks and something new to me altogether. Im going to get started listening to these and be conscientious of your comments and Im going to enjoy the hell out of it and report back.

Thanks 8mile, you have been like my personal jazz guru.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

My pleasure! You may be the only person who gets anything useful out of the stuff I post on this board, so I'm happy someone is interested.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

I do and am 8 and I bet Im not alone. Ordered a copy of "Now he..." and look forward to getting my ears on it!

Next Ill check out that Keith and Jack album, tune in particular. I have very limited experience with Jack. Some dci videos maybe. I have a solo album of his which I quite enjoy with Rock Thing song and the one where they all say "time". Some really interesting playing and there is something about Jacks playing that I really enjoy, not even sure why yet, look forward to exploring.

Thanks buddy!! This is just what I was hoping for.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Count me in guys !

I have been getting more brush work done, and to quote Greg Hutchinson in MD : "Listen to the Jo Jones Trio record where he plays “Sweet Georgia Brown,” and you’ll learn how to play the brushes."

https://youtu.be/TiV8QVueu0s
Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 PM

Brad Mehldau Trio - Live At The Village Vanguard : The Art Of The Trio Vol. 2

highly recommended listening

Jorge Rossy ... enough said

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JCYKaS0AW31COO
Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
Brad Mehldau Trio - Live At The Village Vanguard : The Art Of The Trio Vol. 2

highly recommended listening

Jorge Rossy ... enough said

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JCYKaS0AW31COO
On it....thanks WhoIs....
Old 12-05-2018, 04:32 AM
Gold Member

This Autumn Leaves is KILLER!! Nice one 8, I need to hang with you someday buddy! This guys hysterical singing along lol
Old 12-05-2018, 04:34 AM
Gold Member

This Jorge Rossy needs to be way more on my radar, dude is fire!

Now Ima go play!
Old 12-05-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
This Jorge Rossy needs to be way more on my radar, dude is fire!

Now Ima go play!
session Monk's Dream on that record ... it's absolute fire !!!

Jorge is an absolute artist ... he's a little bit Tony ... a little bit Jack ... a little bit Roy ... a little bit Elvin ... and a little bit something that had not been invented yet

dude is ridiculous ... his time is completely in the air and he just picks and chooses notes to pluck out of the air to play ... and it's absolutely beautiful

he sounds like the future and that album was recorded in like '97 or something ... cats still haven't caught up to Rossy in my opinion

check out all his playing on that tune ... but his trading with Brad is out of fkn bounds

peep it

I have that trading transcribed if you want it by the way ... let me know

also check him out here ... from a couple years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8TlN-AA4Aw

Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 12-05-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

The Art of Trio V. 2 is my heaven right now, absolutely loving this. I hear Tony in his playing but not familiar with other guys styles to put my finger on the other things I’m hearing, as you can. I’m chilling tfo with a Young and Foolish right now, switching to Monks dream now, ready for the ride!! This guys playing gives me exactly what I’m looking for!

Need some time with all these. I don’t really feel like I’m familiar with tunes like this until I’ve heard like 5-6 times. Digging this Brad Mehldau and have listened 2-3 times to Autumn Leave. Having a ball! U guys rock for helping me/us
Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Count me in guys !

I have been getting more brush work done, and to quote Greg Hutchinson in MD : "Listen to the Jo Jones Trio record where he plays “Sweet Georgia Brown,” and you’ll learn how to play the brushes."

Checked this out a lil...how can you not with Jo Jones! Looking forward to digging in more.

So happy I wasn’t too shy to ask for help, y’all rock

Whoah Monks Dream has me bouncing around the room!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Count me in guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
session Monk's Dream on that record ... it's absolute fire !!!

Jorge is an absolute artist ... he's a little bit Tony ... a little bit Jack ... a little bit Roy ... a little bit Elvin ... and a little bit something that had not been invented yet

dude is ridiculous ... his time is completely in the air and he just picks and chooses notes to pluck out of the air to play ... and it's absolutely beautiful

he sounds like the future and that album was recorded in like '97 or something ... cats still haven't caught up to Rossy in my opinion

check out all his playing on that tune ... but his trading with Brad is out of fkn bounds

peep it

I have that trading transcribed if you want it by the way ... let me know

also check him out here ... from a couple years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8TlN-AA4Aw
Wow that video at the bottom, unreal. Really going for sounds and effects and making gorgeous really tasteful music, hell yea
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

I'm gonna throw out there Kenny Garrett's Triology record, in short it's Brian Blade being an absolute badass for an hour, and the production is amazing so you can really listen to his drums in detail. It's one of the records I just keep coming back to again and again anytime I wanna feel inspired. Check out the version of Wayne's Thank, BB's intro is bar none some of my favorite drumming ever, then when the solos come in and they start swinging, it's just too good.

Wayne's Thang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ers...n4K4pE&index=5

Also, maybe cheating a bit but I released my first record a couple of weeks ago, if anyone wants to give it a listen :)
https://wjmachado.bandcamp.com/album/lugar-de-reposo
Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Thanks #< that intro is gorgeous, my word...loving this already.

Brian Blade sounds like the Jim Gordon of jazz. Just playing sweetest sounding stuff seemingly effortlessly.

Now He Sings... will now be a permanent part of my life moving forward, way to come out of the gate with a killer 8Mile, absolute home run rec!

Roy Haynes...I just didn’t know guys, can you ever forgive me, can the universe...this man made my god list in 10 minutes, that’s not even possible. I know nothing.

Last edited by J-Boogie; 12-06-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

A lil off topic, forgive me op, but i got invited to a jam last night....nice! Its all coming together, got the vdrums, now got the call....boogie time!

edit: not playing on the vdrums tonight, they have a kit at jam spot. Vdrums are great for at home but i need acoustics for the real thing
Old 12-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

Jam was great! Dude had this little Gretch number, prolly 12", 14" , 18 or 20" bd not good estimating the little foot toms as Odd puts it. Lil bass drum, non ported with one of those felt bomb beaters, had plenty of boom. Had a great time, looks like I got some dudes to jam with now, like riding a bike.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

Hey WhoIs......any other Jorge recommendations? This guy is unbelievable, that Brad Trio recording is gorgeous, the drum sound is insane.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:15 PM

One way to really expand your jazz vocabulary is to absorb how Latin musical styles intersect with jazz. Check out some Jobim bossa nova records to hear a major source. (Wave is a great tune to sit back and let it wash over you.)

Dig Saxophone Colossus from Sonny Rollins, especially the tune St. Thomas. Max Roach gives a great demonstration on how to adapt the feel of Latin musical styles to jazz without a slavish reproduction of historic beats.

Another great album for that is Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue. The Latin feel comes mostly from Ray Barretto on congas, but again, it is more of a relaxed application of Latin feeling, rather than strict beats. Those ideas can be applied in many, many jazz settings.

(BTW, I'm not criticizing traditional Latin music; just discussing how it gets adapted for the jazz lexicon.)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumPhil View Post
One way to really expand your jazz vocabulary is to absorb how Latin musical styles intersect with jazz. Check out some Jobim bossa nova records to hear a major source. (Wave is a great tune to sit back and let it wash over you.)

Dig Saxophone Colossus from Sonny Rollins, especially the tune St. Thomas. Max Roach gives a great demonstration on how to adapt the feel of Latin musical styles to jazz without a slavish reproduction of historic beats.

Another great album for that is Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue. The Latin feel comes mostly from Ray Barretto on congas, but again, it is more of a relaxed application of Latin feeling, rather than strict beats. Those ideas can be applied in many, many jazz settings.

(BTW, I'm not criticizing traditional Latin music; just discussing how it gets adapted for the jazz lexicon.)
Very cool DrumPhil, some stuff to check out, love that! I have the Sonny Rollins record and love that tune. One guy who really caught my ear a few years ago was Dafnis Prieto. The way he interwove jazz and Latin, to me, was magical. I def dig that fusion. Ima go check out Wave now, thanks. This Jorge Rossy guy is my favorite discovery since like Tony Williams. It may be a bit of a honeymoon period but I really cant get over the depth of his playing, freaking gorgeous.

Wave....hell yea, Im on a beach towards the end of the day, sipping a cocktail, watching the sun begin to set....in the 60s definitely the 60s. Nice man
Old 12-16-2018, 06:09 PM

From another forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NIFz8wRvMs

this is incredible; jazz in the 21st century, from a 15 year old... the drummer is unreal too