DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Do you have a piece of equipment that you've used since day 1 and still use it regularly?

Some people tend to stick with what they know in terms of equipment while others seem to trade stuff off rather quickly. Does anyone use a piece of equipment that you've used since day one (or REALLY CLOSE to day 1)?

I have a set of Sabian AA regular hi hats that I've used since I bought my first drum set in 1995. I still have them, and I still play them regularly. You can see them in the pic below.

How about you? Do you have a piece of original equipment that you still use after many years?

Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Do you have a piece of equipment that you've used since day 1 and still use it regularly?

Coincidentally, I also have a pair of 14" Sabian AA Regular Hi-Hats that I purchased around 1995... I still play them, but mine are a lot more tarnished than yours are.

Shortly after, a bought a 20" Sabian HH Medium-Heavy Ride cymbal, which I also still play. I love this cymbal!

I don't intend to change either of these cymbals, and I'll only play other cymbals if, and only if, they blend well with them.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Do you have a piece of equipment that you've used since day 1 and still use it regularly?

'67 Rogers COB Powertone snare drum, Rogers 5 piece kit, (2) 1960s 18" cymbals, and a pair of 15" New Beat hi hats, all purchased in 1978.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

Yes my Pearl Steel Snare that I got with my first kit, a Pearl Export.

Still use it live and used it in the studio last month for a heavier track we're releasing as a single over the coming months. Sounded better in than context that all my other (more expensive) snares.

Sounds great for louder stuff as it has one hell of a bite. Love the thing! Wont part with this snare ever.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:39 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Tama HiHat stand, Road Pro
Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I have a great cymbal stand from the early 70's. It's really light, single braced, it has a non geared tilter and the best part...there's thick white nylon bushings built into the tubes protecting the chrome on the next taller tube section. It goes low enough for me without alteration. I wish someone would revive that design. Perfectly engineered. Not sure who made it.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 PM

Sabian AAX 16'' dark crash from the mid 90s. most buttery crash ever. i got one of the good ones.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig J View Post
Sabian AAX 16'' dark crash from the mid 90s. most buttery crash ever. i got one of the good ones.
That is a great cymbal. I have one from the early 2000's. It just has that sound I like. There are some things I won't give away and that's one of them.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:17 PM

Close. Shortly after I started playing - within a few short weeks actually - I upgraded my cymbals to a Sabian AAX Stage pack. From that pack I still use my hats and ride. The hats get used every time, and the ride gets used sometimes - I alternate between that an a 1983/84 vintage Sabian AA Rock Ride.

Last edited by trickg; 12-13-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Only this piece remains: original first generation Ching Ring. Bonham approved.

Hi-hat clutch is a mid 90's addition/adaptation.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

A pair of 14" Paiste 2002 SoundEdge black label high hats from the early 70's. A Zildjian Rock 21" ride from about the same time period.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

I dont play anywhere without:
  • Iron Cobra Rolling Glide pedal
  • Tama Lever Glide hat stand
  • Tama ergo hydraulic throne with backrest
Without those three things, Im not comfortable and no matter what kind of gig it is, its a drag.

eye candy for the boys
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
I dont play anywhere without:
  • Iron Cobra Rolling Glide pedal
  • Tama Lever Glide hat stand
  • Tama ergo hydraulic throne with backrest
Without those three things, Im not comfortable and no matter what kind of gig it is, its a drag.

eye candy for the boys
Righteous cymbal setup, CB!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 PM

I got a Sonor Jungle Snare as a souvenir when my family took a trip to Germany in 2003 or something, a year after I started playing drums. It's the best side snare in the world and has been on my home kit since I got it.

I've also had the same 5000 2-leg hihat stand for 12 or 13 years now. It's been nothing but bulletproof.

Everything else comes and goes... I sold the Pearl Masters that I had for ten years at the beginning of this year after I replaced it with some Birch Absolutes. And I recently sold my first drum kit, a Ludwig Accent that my dad and I refinished, though I still have the snare from that kit.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Do you have a piece of equipment that you've used since day 1 and still use it regularly?
No
Old 09-22-2018, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Tama Iron Cobra double and Ergo Rider Chair that must be close to 20 years old by now, as well as a DW 4000 hihat stand that's close to that age. I grabbed all of that stuff near the beginning of my playing shenanigans. These were all gigged well over 1k times and were just retired when I stopped gigging at the top of this year.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

The Regal Tip rubber coated retractable brushes. I've always had a pair since I started playing. I grew up around jazz players so there was never time I didn't own brushes. But I did try other types of brushes; wood handles, white plastic, straight steel....I always returned to Regal Tip rubber coated handles. I even tried vic Firth brushes, and went back to Regal Tip.

So those are really the only constant, along with Remo drumheads (while I try Evans right now), and Zildjian cymbals (I realize I've never owned other brands too).
Old 09-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Nothings really changed at all with me. Still have my A Customs. Only diffeence is that I generally use fewer of them. It's a simple case of being gig oriented rather than having everything set up in the shed.

Still using the same Roc'n'Soc throne.

Only real difference is that I upgraded my pedals and hi-hat stand from 5000s to 9000s.

Have mixed feelings about my snare collection sometimes as I really only use the Gretsch 6x14 hammered brass most of the time. That was the latest addition though, and I was looking for it for a while.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Rock n sock seat mounted to my 81 Tama Titan throne base. Had an 87 DW 5000 HH stand I used till only 6 months ago.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:50 AM

I don't have anything from Day 1, but I do have a Pearl Eliminator double pedal that i bought in 2003 (I believe) and it has been played at probably well over 1,000 shows in 40 something states and on 4 continents. And it just keeps on truckin'.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
No
Me either. My tastes have changed so much over the years, that what I originally owned just doesn't fit with what I play now.

I have been playing about 30 years. Out of all my gear, the longest I have had something is about ten years- a vintage Ludwig drum set.

Last edited by Chunkaway; 09-22-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Do you have a piece of original equipment that you still use after many years?
Not anymore, but as of last year I was still using my original Remo practice pad that I bought back in the 70's.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

A 10" A Brilliant Splash. Only thing left from the first kit I ever bought.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Considering it's been thirty years this year (by my reckoning), the only things left from my very first drumset are a couple of Pearl CH-70 boom arms in terrible shape, and an 8" bell that I cut from the grizzled remains of a Pearl CX-300 crash. I also still have the Ludwig floor tom that I bought at a garage sale for $40 shortly after getting my first kit, which turned out to be a 3-ply red sparkle under all the oven black and spraypaint. It's been rehabbed and rewrapped and currently is part of my Standard kit.

Wish I still had the '61 blue duco Pioneer that came with that kit...
Old 09-22-2018, 06:50 PM

68 Ludwig supra since 78
60s ( ? ) 14 Zildjian hats since 78
Early 80s 18 Zildjian high China
Early maybe mid 80s Paiste 2000 sound reflection 16 thin crash. Sorry had to cut off some of the pic to resize it to get it to load from phone . Havnt figured out how to post whole full pics from my I phone without cropping alit out . Id have to stand 20 get away then crop down to size to fit ?
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 AM

1943 WFL Duco snare, with nickel plated hardware and rims. (chrome not available during WWII) Mahogany shell. 5.5' X 14. Bought in 1971. Some bozo tried to paint so I stripped it down to the wood and varnished it. Beautiful shell. Beautiful sound. Still use on big band, 50s & 60s, old blues gigs.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:11 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

It's not the same one, but I've been using a smaller Ludwig Goldtone cowbell for most of my life. The pitch is almost an E, and it seems to fit perfectly in most cowbell songs. In one of my bands, it's perfect for:

ROCK In The USA
Play That Funky Music
Honky Tonk Woman
And She Was
Down On The Corner

I have the larger version, a little lower at C#, but I prefer the smaller one.

Bermuda
Old 12-13-2018, 05:18 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Only this piece remains: original first generation Ching Ring. Bonham approved.
I never put it together before, but Ralph Kester also invented this. I wish I still had it, and the drum. :(

BTW, this pre-dates the Big Fat Snare Drum jingle ring by about 30 years.

Bermuda
Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 PM

My leather stick bag that I don't think was real expensive but today I'd have a hard time justifying paying for what they go for. It's perfect too, even accommodating my long sticks and ties to my FT.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

My eldest brother kept my original kit (1963) and a few years ago gave me the 24 in Zildjian Avedis cymbal that came with it. The last I saw the kit was the 80s and it still had 60s heads on it-and a speed king pedal (which I'd love to have). I'm going to inquire is the kit still in the family so I can retrieve-his sons may have it.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Juniper
This message has been deleted by Juniper. Reason: Already posted the same thing earlier in the thread!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

My Pearl Eliminator/Redline pedals have been used since the day I bought them. No issues whatsoever.

Beato Bags--Cymbal, hardware and stick bags. FANTASTIC.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:07 PM

I still have the first "nice" drum kit that I bought in 1981. (Tama Imperial Stars, not nice by many of the folks here standards, but a big improvement over the little starter used Ludwig I had prior.) Changed snares a few times, but the shell pack is the same.

I still have and use the New Beat hats, 18" Zildjian Rock Crash and 20" Zidljian Ride from the same set, as well. Plus two of the (heavy) Titan boom stands, a smaller stand for the ride, the Titan snare stand (and yes, the gasket doesn't really hold well after all these years) and the original single pedal, which I keep in my ear box as a backup in case the doubles break.

I wanna buy some new gear, but this stuff still works well and sounds good, so I have a hard time justifying spending the money.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure how to define "day 1"... I borrowed a few kits before getting my own gear. Still have all the original gear I bought myself.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

My 1979 14" Zildjian New Beats. About five years ago,I switched to 15"s but I still break out the 14"s on occasion.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Almost day one - 25 years ago I traded a cymbal stand for a 20" UFIP China. It's paper thin, the sound is great, powerful and dark, it's the best China I came to play - perfect !
This cymbals was already old (no printing, very dirty) and may be from the 70's. I would cry if I'd break it.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

Zildjian 14" New Beat hi hats, bought used with my first kit in 1991, have been my gig hats since day 1. Other than that, I still have the Tama Camco BD pedal but I don't use it anymore, and occasionally still use some boom arms and Stilt bases of Tama cymbal stands that I bought with the Tama Rockstar kit I purchased in the same year.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

Been playing since 1964, and don't have a single thing older than about 1995 (cymbals). Working in a music/pro-sound business was just too much temptation to trade and buy, so a lot of gear has been thru my hands - but I never invested any sentimental value in any of it. Yet.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 12-14-2018, 01:52 AM

I have a Tama Lever Glide hi hat stand that I got in 1990. This stand has needed minimal upkeep, and has seen countless rehearsals and gigs. I use a newer Yamaha 700 hat stand most of the time now, but I still have the Tama, and it still works as good as the day I got it.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 AM

My Dad bought a Paiste Formula 602 Ride Cymbal from a local trading post for my first kit in 1966. I have used that ride in every performance and recording ever since. He gave $80 for it back then i think. He also scored a 16" slingerland floor tom to add to that same "Japanese kit"
Old 12-14-2018, 03:18 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over50drumguy View Post
68 Ludwig supra since 78
60s ( ? ) 14 Zildjian hats since 78
Early 80s 18 Zildjian high China
Early maybe mid 80s Paiste 2000 sound reflection 16 thin crash. Sorry had to cut off some of the pic to resize it to get it to load from phone . Havnt figured out how to post whole full pics from my I phone without cropping alit out . Id have to stand 20 get away then crop down to size to fit ?
You have to resize the pic in paint to drummerworld requirements.