DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 PM
adamteasdale1407

Default Famous drummers mixing cymbal brands

I've seen Jon Fishman mix cymbal brands ie. Zildjian Sabian paiste and Istanbul. Are there any other well known drummers who mix their cymbal brands?
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Famous drummers mixing cymbal brands

Mixing cymbal brands??? Why that's like putting Ford parts on a Chevy... it ain't right, it just ain't right!!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

I can't come up any huge name drummers that do, unless you count Matt Cameron earlier in his career when he could be seen mixing the big 3. Dave Grohl occasionally sports some 2oo2s. Last time I saw Rey Washam he seemed to make a point of having Zildjian/Sabian/Paiste well represented on his kit. Before Neil Peart went Sabian, he was using Wuhan China cymbals, but Sabian put an end to that by designing him whatever he wanted.

Apart from these guys, I can't think of many to do regularly. Once a player reaches a level high enough for us to know about them, the endorsements have often already happened.

Most drummers, myself included, could be happy with the offerings from any one company but getting support from a single maker simplifies life at that level.

My Band
Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 PM

LOTS of jazz drummers do it.

For example Al Foster (Zildjian endorser), often uses a Paiste Sound Creation ride.

OK, jazz drummers aren't really famous. =)
Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Plenty.

Jeff Pocaro was a Paiste endorser, but he was public about loving a pair of Zildjian K/Z hi-hats and was photo graphed with them.

Back when Tommy Lee was a Paiste endorser, he can be seen in live footage in the video for S.O.S. playing Zildjian Z hi-hats.

In early seasons of the Conan O'Brien show, Matt Weinberg has Paiste 2002 hi-hats even though he endorsed Zildjian.

Back when Modern Drummer has the "Ask a Pro" column, Phill Collins mentioned he used bits and pieces from other companies despite endorsing Sabian.

And really, in the studio, most drummers will use whatever makes the track. Which many mean owning or renting or borrowing or having the producer chose different brands of equipment.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:27 PM

Not necessarily famous, but we opened for Tantric last month. Their drummer was rocking some Sabian B8's, paistes, etc. Not only mixed brands, but some pretty 'entry level' equipment. Same with the drums, mixmatched set that was close enough to look the same, but different brands (pdp plus some other brands I can't recall).

Personally I'm using mostly Sabian AA, AAX, Custom Shop, and HH, with one Wuhan China and a Zil Bel in my main stage set.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 PM

Marco Pitruzzella a couple years ago used Paistes, a Meinl Classics crash, some Zildjian stuff, and Wuhan chinas. Now hes a Paiste endorser.

Paiste
Pork Pie
Yamaha

Band: hxoxbx.bandcamp.com

Old 04-18-2015, 07:37 AM

I got to see a clinic with the great Will Calhoun back in the Living Colour heyday. He was Pearl and Zildjian and had just switched to Sonor about a year before. The local music store holding the clinic at that time had a great array of gear, and a big selection of Sabians, including the Jack DeJohnette Encore Series (that had just come out that year, I think) and various eclectic models that these days unless you're in a big market you're not selling super eclectic cymbals.

Will Calhoun was checking out all of the Sabians before the clinic was to start and was particularly interested in this 20" Encore Ride, so much so that he wanted to play it during the clinic. He had to call Zildjian to ask permission to play just that ride cymbal. They let him use it, and quite frankly...the rest is history. He had a full set of beautiful Zildjians on his Sonor kit, but the majority of his clinic was him focused on that Encore Ride.

When I think back on it now, Zildjian shouldn't have let him play that ride cymbal, especially since I think they sponsored the clinic!!! Not very good business when you sponsor a clinician and the main cymbal on the clinician's kit is a competitor.

There are more stories in the ether, I'm sure. There's video of Tony playing with Stan Getz at Montreux in '72 I think, he was playing a walnut finish Gretsch kit that I found out belonged to Steve Gadd (he was also playing the festival) and a full set of Paistes. Tony sounded like...well, Tony. It only supports what Max Roach used to say when drummers asked what cymbals or sticks he used.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

drummaman1 -

Tony plays incredible on that walnut Gretsch kit at Montreaux. Can I ask the source for citing that drumset as belonging to Steve Gadd?

Thank you.

Best,
skf
Old 04-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

I think virtually all professional players who aren't endorsers- and surely more than a few who are- play more than one brand of cymbals. I can think of a few specific examples: Paul Motian had two trademark cymbals, an old A crash, and a Paiste dark ride (several of them, actually). Ed Blackwell and Billy Higgins each played mainly Ks (I believe), but also made a lot of records with a Paiste 602 ride. Jon Christensen was a Paiste endorser, but played a 22" heavy K on a lot of records.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 AM

I think you'd see a lot more if there weren't brand endorsements. Personally, I do mix. Right now, I mainly play with the following:

13" Zildjian K top hi-hat, Z bottom
16" Zildjian A thin crash
20" Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride
22" Sabian AAX Omni crash/ride
Old 04-21-2015, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

The music video for "give it away now" shows a real clear shot of Chad Smith playing Zildjian Hi Hats, despite being with Sabian.

I think most of the mix & match game happens in the studio. It was well documented that Lars used Sabian Hi Hats on the Black Album, though I don't know what model.
YouTube
Old 04-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Gold Member

A friend of mine, not a famous drummer but a Bosphorus endorser, used to mix in other brands of cymbals. However, his endorsement said that he couldn't be seen using other cymbals, so he basically removed or hid all the logos of anything non-Bosphorus he used. I say that to just say there are probably a lot out there we don't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
I think most of the mix & match game happens in the studio. It was well documented that Lars used Sabian Hi Hats on the Black Album, though I don't know what model.
+100000%. Things are always experimented and messed with in the studio. Sometimes the studio just brings out cymbals that they have and like.