DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Default I'm going to see Billy Cobham live!

I've led a pretty charmed musical existence, getting to see most of my heroes play live at one time or another. But I've never seen Billy Cobham perform live, one of my great regrets up until now.

But on April 18, that will change! Billy's Spectrum 40 band will be performing in Detroit and I just bought two tickets.

Man, am I fired up for this. One of my musical idols, up close and personal.

Can't wait for this!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:06 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: I'm going to see Billy Cobham live!

Awesome!! Congrats..he is one of the all time greats. You'll remember it forever.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:13 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I take it they'll be playing the entire Spectrum album? This might be something to see!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

Yep, it's the Spectrum 40 band. That means Gary Husband, who contributes to Drummerworld quite often, will be there, too!

I saw Gary on drums with Allan Holdsworth many years ago and it was one of the most memorable shows of my life. The fact Gary is also a virtuoso on keyboards is incredible.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Yep, it's the Spectrum 40 band. That means Gary Husband, who contributes to Drummerworld quite often, will be there, too!

I saw Gary on drums with Allan Holdsworth many years ago and it was one of the most memorable shows of my life. The fact Gary is also a virtuoso on keyboards is incredible.
Thanks for this posting! I looked Billy up and they will be at the Catalina Bar and grill on April 24-26! I got two tickets for the 24th. I'm excited. I haven't seen him in person either! And for it to be this album - that's even better!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Renegade

Sounds great, 8! Love to see Billy play close up.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

I saw him do a Tama drum clinic back in the 80's and then only a couple of weeks ago when he and his band played Ronnie Scott's. I wasn't there in person- it was livestreamed, but was great- he has certainly lost none of his ability! An old aquaintance, Steve Hamilton, (his dad taught my brother guitar) plays keyboards with Billy (not on the spectrum tour though, that'll be Gary Husband). Steve once told me that I really swing. And now he plays with a drumming giant. I quite like that!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

The first time I saw him was during Mahavishnu Orchestra's first tour !
Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

I also saw BC at a clinic in the 80s. I was just a kid at the time, but he basically struck me as a really nice guy who also happened to be a great drummer. Enjoy the show!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Awesome, 8 - what a great opportunity!!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

I saw him in the early 70's in a really great venue (2500 seats with a revolving stage in the center). He was the coolest drummer I'd ever seen. There was so much sound coming from the kit and he wasn't even breaking a sweat. From that moment, I wanted to play like that but, I didn't put the work into it.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:15 AM
Matt Bo Eder

If I recall correctly, I believe I read in a "Zildjian Cymbal Set-ups" book years ago, that he was using a 26" swish cymbal and that was that "cah" sound he made popular. I so wanted one of those! Can you believe that? 26 inch swish madness!

It would be cool if he had one that big at these shows!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Jazz Cafe at Music Hall in Detroit is the venue. Impossibly beautiful place. Very intimate.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:15 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Much envy Lar and Bo.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:45 AM
Silver Member

Saw Billy with John McGlaughlin(sp?) and the Mahuvishnu Orchestra 1973 I think it was. Incredible music. Enjoy my friend....
Old 03-18-2015, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Alright guys, I'm in.

Sunday, April 19th @ SPACE in Evanston, IL. Probably the best listening room in Chicago.

I'll be seeing Robben Ford there the previous week on April 16th.

I bought Spectrum on cassette when I was a kid and listened to it over and over again on my Walkman (how many people remember those? ;-).

This will actually be my first time seeing him as well. I'm super excited!!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:41 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Alright guys, I'm in.

Sunday, April 19th @ SPACE in Evanston, IL. Probably the best listening room in Chicago.

I'll be seeing Robben Ford there the previous week on April 16th.

I bought Spectrum on cassette when I was a kid and listened to it over and over again on my Walkman (how many people remember those? ;-).

This will actually be my first time seeing him as well. I'm super excited!!!!
Walkman? I had the vinyl album and never even had a cassette player (we had a big ol' reel-to-reel)! Walkman indeed!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Walkman? I had the vinyl album and never even had a cassette player (we had a big ol' reel-to-reel)! Walkman indeed!
Yeah man, with the Walkman, I could listen to it while mowing lawns (which is how I earned the money to buy the Walkman, BTW). Portable tunes! Amazing technology, eh? ;-)

And....I could play along with the Walkman without having to worry about it skipping. How cool is that? Ugh, I feel like such an old guy.

But yeah, can't wait to see Billy!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:40 PM

Cool. The man is a national treasure. Looks like he's not coming close to DC this time around.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I've led a pretty charmed musical existence, getting to see most of my heroes play live at one time or another. But I've never seen Billy Cobham perform live, one of my great regrets up until now.

But on April 18, that will change! Billy's Spectrum 40 band will be performing in Detroit and I just bought two tickets.

Man, am I fired up for this. One of my musical idols, up close and personal.

Can't wait for this!
Lucky man! Alas not coming near St. Louis. He is one of my favorites and I have never seen him! Enjoy.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:43 AM

Just got in from seeing Billy Cobham live with his Spectrum 40 Band in Reading, PA tonight. The band, with Gary Husband, was awesome! Billy seems to have gotten better in the 30yrs. since I first saw him!! I got his autograph on his newly released CD, and had a great fourth row seat. I strongly recommend you seek out tickets for this current tour...you will be very happy you did!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:46 AM
Matt Bo Eder

We're seeing him next week on the 24th at the Catalina Bar & Grill. I'm so excited to see him for the first time! I'm trying to find my old vinyl copy of Spectrum so I can have him sign it!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Thanks for this posting! I looked Billy up and they will be at the Catalina Bar and grill on April 24-26! I got two tickets for the 24th. I'm excited. I haven't seen him in person either! And for it to be this album - that's even better!
Man ,they got a pretty bad reputation on Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/catalina-bar...ll-los-angeles
Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Man ,they got a pretty bad reputation on Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/catalina-bar...ll-los-angeles
I'm not too worried about bad food or questionable staff, I'm going to see Billy, which I'm sure will be great. I've been to a few of these restaurants/live music venues and after seeing how everybody packs in, service will obviously suffer from a restranteur standpoint. And if it's a small venue, it'll just get worse. We have live jazz in our Jazz Kitchen here at Downtown Disney and the service and food are good, but they don't bring in name entertainment so the place is never over-crowded with fans, so I get the trade-offs.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:56 PM

This is a review from last evening's show:

http://readingeagle.com/life/article...erks-jazz-fest
Old 04-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman5x14 View Post
Just got in from seeing Billy Cobham live with his Spectrum 40 Band in Reading, PA tonight. The band, with Gary Husband, was awesome! Billy seems to have gotten better in the 30yrs. since I first saw him!! I got his autograph on his newly released CD, and had a great fourth row seat. I strongly recommend you seek out tickets for this current tour...you will be very happy you did!
Very cool.

I'll be seeing him on Sunday in Chicago and BTW, I have an extra ticket in case anyone in the area is interested.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:50 AM

Love that huge Star kit of his! I saw him two years ago when he was still playing Yamaha, an Amber Sunburst Textured Ash PHX kit with a Lang Percussion Gladstone snare (he's the only one making snares and kits in that style). Jerry Goodman was on violin! No Mahavishnu tunes were played that night but it was great all the same!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Just a follow up: Billy was great last night--so cool to see/hear him play all these tunes from my childhood/early adolescence. I think I was especially struck by everything that was "signature Billy," the sound of the drums, the French grip, the figure eight stick motions on the cymbals, double stroke rolls, etc. And his sound and feel--all you need is to hear a few notes and is unmistakable who it is.

I actually got to the venue later than I hoped and with general admission tickets, I fretted that all the seats out front were taken. So, I found a spot right next to the side of the stage and thought, "Well, at least I'll get to see him up close and persona, even if the sound isn't as goodl." Turns out the sound was great there--the venue had one speaker pointed in my direction and between that and Gary Husband's monitors (I was sitting right next to him), the mix was perfect!

Great show and I'm so glad I finally got to see him!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

I had an amazing experience Saturday night at the show. My daughter attends jazz shows with me pretty often but she didn't know what to expect when I told her this would be more "fusion" than what she was accustomed to. After the show, she said, "Everyone needs to listen to this music!" So all those endless hours of forcing my musical tastes on her have finally paid off!

Billy played amazing and the whole band was just on fire. The venue is a really cool place (Jazz Cafe at Music Hall) and there wasn't a bad seat in the house, really. When Billy kicked off Stratus, the place went nuts.

After the show, I bought a couple CDs and got autographs from Billy and the band.

Funny moment: I tried to contact Gary Husband, who is a regular on this forum, to see about saying hello at the show, but I waited until too late. When I realized I would get to say hello at the autograph signing, I clumsily tried to explain "I'm 8Mile from Drummerworld," which was the most confusing thing anyone could say and I'm not sure he could even hear me. Then I went on to explain how he played drums at a Holdsworth concert many years ago and how he blew me away. I'm so bad at meeting my heroes, I get starstruck. Gary is such a nice guy and shook my hand and I walked out of there on cloud 9.

Big bucket-list moment for me finally getting to see Billy live. I read Billy had a throat infection and when you think about that whole "the show must go on" mantra from the long-time pros, Billy really lives that. Just 100% dedication to putting on an amazing show, every single night.