DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-06-2014, 10:42 AM

Default Cleaning/re-lubing dry lugs and tension rods, how to go about it?

Hello DW. I am not completely new to cleaning lugs and tension rods. Here's my issue, I have an 11 year old black panther snare in great shape. Except the rods seem to be a sticky when tuning. This has only happened recently, and I rarely use the snare but keep it at a low tension all around and kind of use it as a coffee table for sticks and paper etc :). Instead of letting it go completely dry I should fix it.

My question is, when cleaning off the old lube that was used (dark red lube, not sure what it is, don't think its grease though) how should I go about it? I feel if I wiped it off with a rag that would be bad as fibers would become a mess and headache later on. I've cleaned a used rusty set using hot water, toothbrush, and dawn dish soap and and hair dryer to dry them with paper towels. I then used as little white lithium grease needed. But this snare is not rusty that I know of. Paper towels I think would have the same effect as say a red auto rag with the fibers or what not.

Should I just put a little white lithium grease on and call it good? Also, what about the part in the lug that the tension rod screws in? I don't mind doing a complete cleaning but wondering what you guys think and if you have any advice.

I've searched the forum and didn't find quite what I was hoping. Or on google. Was hoping some of you guys might have a tip or too. Thanks. Yes I am kinda OCD :).
Old 06-06-2014, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Cleaning/re-lubing dry lugs and tension rods, how to go about it?

I spring cleaned my snares recently & all I did with the lugs was dab a little vaseline on the end before putting them back in.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:19 PM

I don't think using a rag to wipe them off will be any problem. I always just use a paper towel, but then again I do this every time I change a head. Sounds like it's been awhile since you've cleaned yours up and you've got a bigger mess on your hands. Steel wool is good for taking gunk off. Then you can use a paper towel to wipe off the remnants. When I worked in a drum shop we had a mounted wire wheel that spun at some ridiculous RPM. We'd grab the tension rods with pliers (and heavy duty gloves, of course) and jam those babes right it in. In an instant they would be not only clean, but shining like new! You can all of the above with hoops as well.

As far as lubing them once they are clean, we used to use white grease in the drum shop. Personally, I just use vaseline.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Hey guys I made it sound bad but its not at all. There's nothing building up per say, just all spread out on the tension rods and maybe evaporation over time? Just a tad too much friction with the metal nothing bad at all. Going to pick up some more white lithium grease as I can't find mine anywhere. I use less than a 1/2 pea size on other things I've used and it seems be the perfect amount. Will use an auto rag to rub off some old stuff. Maybe steel wool. Thanks for the responses!