DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 PM

Default How Does Your Bass Drum Sit?

Does your bass drum hover above the ground using the legs for support or does it sit on the ground using the legs to steady it?

What is the "proper" way of sitting the bass drum and what benefits does it have?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How Does Your Bass Drum Sit?

I use the legs to raise mine up - I don't want my pedal beater going past vertical.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know what the "proper" way is but my bass drum is level once the pedal is attached.

My beater goes slightly past vertical to hit the head.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Yup, they're intended to be raised up a little bit with the spurs so that the drum is close to level with the pedal attached. Don't go crazy high with it, though.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

I like to get the bottom of the front rim an inch or two off the ground -- beaters as close to vertical as possible, keeps the shell off the ground more (helps to create a fuller sound).
Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Mine sits maybe an inch off the ground in the front. Just enough for the spurs to properly do their job, and enough to lose my drumkey under.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Does your bass drum hover above the ground using the legs for support or does it sit on the ground using the legs to steady it?

What is the "proper" way of sitting the bass drum and what benefits does it have?
You will want it off the ground so it "rings" (rumbles) as much as possible.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

My front spurs keep the front hoop off the ground by about an inch-and-a-half, then when the pedal goes on, it levels out to about one inch off the ground. So in reality, my bass drum is not touching the ground at all but is floating over three points. No wonder it rings so much ;)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Mike_In_KC

I use the spurs to keep the front of my bass drum about an inch off the ground. My pedal on the batter side maintains the one inch gap and my beater angle is pretty much vertical... I had a buddy with more experience than me help me set it up when I first bought the kit back in August and I have not had to mess with it. I love the sound of my kick drum more than any other drum that I own.

MM
Old 04-22-2014, 01:24 AM

i attach my slave pedal to the front (resonant) side to adjust the height of the spurs. this way i know that the height is equal on both sides of the drum. i noticed the difference straight away. a lot more resonance.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

The best I can get my bass drum to do is roll over. The "sit" command gets ignored.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

My Gretsch 18" bass drums is not sitting on the floor at all except where the pedal attaches.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2014, 03:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
My front spurs keep the front hoop off the ground by about an inch-and-a-half, then when the pedal goes on, it levels out to about one inch off the ground. So in reality, my bass drum is not touching the ground at all but is floating over three points. No wonder it rings so much ;)
Yup, same here!

Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Bob Gatzen has a video http://youtu.be/n0BVuxQ1ohE where he talks about distorting the hoop by tilting the drum. There's another one out there but I can't find it at the moment. Basically he says you should have the shell straight with how it comes out of the bass pedal clamp. Typically that means level or nearly level. You can get an idea by setting up on a hard surface (in case you have velcro on the bottom of the pedal like DWs that grabs the carpet) and watching to see if the pedal lifts while tightening it on. It should be neutral. Distorting the hoop wrecks the effort you put into tuning it evenly and usually raises the pitch along with creating overtones (if you have an open head). Same thing occurs side to side. Centering the beater may end up pushing the clamp off it's natural center which can warp the hoop again. I my experience, not twisting the hoop is more important than hitting dead center. There's a body of thought that hitting slightly off center sounds better, so a bit of lateral offset isn't an issue.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM

I honestly had no idea. I am going to try raising mine off the ground next time I set up.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Sonically, not having the bass drum touching the ground is only beneficial on a more resonant drum with little to nothing inside the drum or attached to it. Thick shells, lots of hardware mass, pillows, etc negate any positive affect.

Correct orientation does matter with single flange bass drum hoops. Any warping of the hoop through uneven pedal clamping forces will affect both tuning & overall drum behaviour. Because the warping isn't even (it changes when you strike the drum), tuning aside, it disrupts batter head sustain.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

I recommend setting the front of the bass drum to be about 1/4" to 1/2" higher than the rear with the pedal attached. If you set the front higher than 1/2" you will have stress on the hoop where the pedal attaches.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I recommend setting the front of the bass drum to be about 1/4" to 1/2" higher than the rear with the pedal attached. If you set the front higher than 1/2" you will have stress on the hoop where the pedal attaches.
Why the front higher Bob? Just curious.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

I've been setting mine up to where it's more-or-less level with the bass drum pedal attached. That means it's not really that far off the ground in the front. The front lugs are barely above the floor, maybe a 1/4" or so. I saw that Bob Gatzen video a while back and that's just how I've been doing it. I'll try raising and lowering it, but I doubt I'll hear a difference.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Why the front higher Bob? Just curious.
Simple, it looks weird if the front is level with, or lower than the rear. :)
I also like to have a slight bit of tilt toward the beater. I feel that the drum plays better that way.
I make sure to always avoid putting stress on the hoop where the pedal clamps onto it.
If you are using a newer model dw pedal that is a non issue because of the floating clamp design.

I used the, "level" app on my iPhone to measure tilt. All 4 of my bass drums on the kits that readily had set up were about 1.2 to 1.4 degrees tilted higher in the front.
I was surprised at how consistent they are because I always just set them by eye.
I was never taught to set the front slightly higher, it was just something that I have always done. I have a mechanical mind and I often trust my instincts when making such judgements even though there is no exact science to me reasoning. I think that my inner zen is thus; When the beater strikes the bass drum it will be deflected down slightly because the beater is set a few inches higher than center on the head.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 04-23-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Simple, it looks weird if the front is level with, or lower than the rear. :)
I also like to have a slight bit of tilt toward the beater. I feel that the drum plays better that way.
I make sure to always avoid putting stress on the hoop where the pedal clamps onto it.
If you are using a newer model dw pedal that is a non issue because of the floating clamp design.

I used the, "level" app on my iPhone to measure tilt. All 4 of my bass drums on the kits that readily had set up were about 1.2 to 1.4 degrees tilted higher in the front.
I was surprised at how consistent they are because I always just set them by eye.
I was never taught to set the front slightly higher, it was just something that I have always done. I have a mechanical mind and I often trust my instincts when making such judgements even though there is no exact science to me reasoning. I think that my inner zen is thus; When the beater strikes the bass drum it will be deflected down slightly because the beater is set a few inches higher than center on the head.
Thanks Bob :)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

I have my kick parallell to the ground. It's not actually resting on the front hoop though; I'm guessing the hoop is 5-10 mm off the ground (I guess that's about 1/4 inch in those silly medieval measurements)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I'm guessing the hoop is 5-10 mm off the ground (I guess that's about 1/4 inch in those silly medieval measurements)
13/64" - 25/64" ;)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
13/64" - 25/64" ;)
*audible sigh*
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
*audible sigh*
Expected :)

I'm of a generation that fully worked/lived with both metric & imperial measurements, so I'm used to it. On top of that, in my other life, I've worked extensively in all manner of measurements around the world, so I'm used to the local peculiarities/variations too. Just because a measure has the same designation, doesn't mean it's the same value (e.g. gallons). The UK is still a mix of metric & imperial for general public exposure (mainly motoring related), but in all other aspects, it's metric.

So, I have my bass drum level & approximately 1 digit above the floor ;) (that's just under 20mm, or for the horsey types amongst you, 0.196 hands)
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 AM

The height of the front is the same as the back, the thickness of the bass drum pedal base. If the drum is level then the pedal clamp won't put stress on the hoop and choke out the tone. Check out one of Bob Gatzens' bass drum videos, I forget which one.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 AM

Same here, raised enough on the front so it sits pretty level and the front hoop is barely clear of the floor.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:48 AM
Silver Member

Mine is on a DW lift with the resonant head about 1 inch higher than the batter.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
*audible sigh*
Quote:
Expected :)

I'm of a generation that fully worked/lived with both metric & imperial measurements, so I'm used to it. On top of that, in my other life, I've worked extensively in all manner of measurements around the world, so I'm used to the local peculiarities/variations too. Just because a measure has the same designation, doesn't mean it's the same value (e.g. gallons). The UK is still a mix of metric & imperial for general public exposure (mainly motoring related), but in all other aspects, it's metric.

So, I have my bass drum level & approximately 1 digit above the floor ;) (that's just under 20mm, or for the horsey types amongst you, 0.196 hands)
Hahaha!

I have mine about an inch or so up in the front. With the pedal attached it's still at a slight angle upward from the back.
I like how it sounds, and how the pedal feels that way.
No hoop problems in 30+ years, so I think I'm good.

I also tweak the tuning with the pedal on it, so any adjustments to combat any issues (warping hoops, heads, etc..) muking up my perfect sound are dealt with :-)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

The base castings of some bass pedals I've seen have a slight upwards form to them. So to keep the hoop straight, you may need to lift the front slightly. Others seem to have a downward or tapered clamp. Those you may as well keep things straight.

In any event, the bass pedal base will lift the drum slightly so the front won't be on the ground and the shell will be off the floor. Once it's not touching anything any additional lifting does not lessen damping or change the resonance of the shell. And has been said, twisting things will have an adverse effect.

My 20x18 D'Amico with very thin maple shells, minimal hardware, Powerstroke heads with an Evans pillow inside not touching either head gives me a great combination of attack and tone. Tuning it low means that anything affecting the resonance takes away from the sustain and the tone heard in the room. The front hoop is around 1/2" off the floor. Enough.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

I use my spurs to lift the bass drum off the ground and angle it slightly into the air. Means I the beater hits at just the right angle and I get as much resonance as possible. It's probably minimal but, I've convinced myself it enhances it a lot...

I use a 20x18" bass drum but, I also have a 22" bass drum propped infront of it and used as a woofer. It adds so much low end and a bit extra sustain to the kick that really helps when everyone is playing. Love it!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 AM

I try to lift the front hoop off the ground, mostly to protect the finish. I try to keep the drum level, but I don't get all OCD with it. It's probably the only thing I'm not OCD about.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

There are beaters that are curved or tilted and compensate for the distance from the clamp to the head. The DW beater is curved on the felt side and rounded on the plastic side. I use a Puresound beater which has the face angled back just right to strike squarely on the batter head for most drums. Most pedals are adjustable enough that you can get the footbed in the right position and the right cam/tension at the point of impact as well.