DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Default amplifying bass drum from backline.

As my band doesn't use bass bins(subs), I've been micing the bass drum (with Sennheiser E402) through an Alto TS Sub 15(600 watts, 1200 peak.)
On New Year's Eve , after 21 months from new, the speaker blew.
I've now replaced speaker with an Eminence Omega pro series 15, and, now aware that the signal limit LED on the ALTO should not light up every time the bass drum is hit, I'm FINDING THAT THE VOLUME LEVEL TO AVOID THIS HAPPENING IS NO MORE THAN THE ACOUSTIC VOLUME OF THE DRUM.
Either there's something I'm not doing right or I'm just going to have to use and abuse just to get an effective volume from the speaker.

Whichever, if any drummers need separate amplification for the bass drum, don't buy an Alto TSSub 15 because it can't deal with the energy/attack from a bass drum.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: amplifying bass drum from backline.

The problem is that you are putting a mic-level signal into a line level input. Just because it has a combo 1/4" + XLR jack doesn't mean you can just plug a microphone into it and go to town. The manual on their website should help a bit: http://www.altoproaudio.com/download...20-%20v1.2.pdf

You need a preamp or a mixer to plug the mic into, and then you can adjust the gain going out of the mixer into the speaker amp. The "volume level" knob on the speaker only controls the output volume of the amp, not the volume coming into the amp (input gain), which is where the clipping is occurring.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
The problem is that you are putting a mic-level signal into a line level input.
Agreed. Feeding such a signal into the unit won't do it any favours at all. Additionally, I think you need to be realistic in your expectations. This is a budget low powered sub. Don't expect chest crushing sub from such a unit. Mild extension of the sub frequencies already being produced acoustically is all you can reliable ask of it. If you want big bass drum delivery, you need to move a lot of air, & that means gear that's up to the task.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanks for replies. I should have said that I do use a mixer but I take your points about gear being up to the task. Anything bigger would not find room in my transport so 'use and abuse is my only option!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Did you buy the correct impedence of speaker? I'm not sure what the Alto comes with, but if you put a 16Ω speaker in an enclosure with an amp that's running at 4Ω or 2Ω, you're not going to get nearly as much volume as you should.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM

The speaker is 8 ohms, not sure about the amp.