DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

Default What's with The Who?

I have noticed an unusual amount Keith Moon adulation. I kind of don't get it. I mean I grew up listening to the Who, via my parents, especially that one record with "Happy Jack" and "Pin Ball Wizard", "Mamma's Got a Squeeze Box", etc. I even bought tickets to a Who concert one time to go with my Dad, though I am pretty sure that wasn't Keith behind the kit. Never once did I think wow what an amazing drummer. Over the years, I have grown to appreciate Entwhistle's skill on bass, but I still think that Entwhistle is about the only one of the Who that can play his way out of a paper bag, and the rest of the Who were deaf rockers that compensated by being overly loud. Is it just me, or do I have unrealistically high expectations for drumming? Other drummers from a similar time period that I have come to appreciate though my tastes have shifted from the rock scene include Ringo, Steve Gadd, Mickey Hart(The Dead had two drummers even). Right, now I went back and listened to that track "Squeeze Box", and sure enough "the music was all-right", but nothing special.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What's with the who?

I'd say "what's with the influx of Who bashing?"

Do we need another thread to discuss the same thing?

Squeeze Box is a pretty silly song, even by their standards.

Go listen to the entire Quadrophenia album from beginning to end.
Then the entire original Tommy album
Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Your post begs the question though, what qualifies as an 'unusual amount of adulation' ....a recent post ...or two...or three?

The Who isn't for everybody, but neither is Miles Davis, or Frank Sinatra. Its music.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Valid point. Keith Moon was very interesting to watch. Technically not the best but he made up for it with showmanship. He defined 'rock star drummer'. There will never be anyone like him. Larger than life personality. There was a lot to him people never knew. His love for his child and depression due to his divorce. Something like that.

Pete played power chords. Rogers vocals were good. The Who were more flash than substance but they did make some memorable music. Unlike Kiss, who was makeup and two good songs.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I'd say "what's with the influx of Who bashing?"

Do we need another thread to discuss the same thing?

Squeeze Box is a pretty silly song, even by their standards.

Go listen to the entire Quadrophenia album from beginning to end.
Then the entire original Tommy album
Well, were the who bashing my momma's squeeze box by saying the music was just "all right"?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
The Who were more flash than substance
Granted none of them were virtuoso's, I'd think songs and songwriting qualify as 'substance'. Townsend was one of the better, more poignant songwriters of the 60's - 70's rock bands. They also (along with the Small Faces Nutgone Flake) created rock opera.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I always thought that generally speaking and with some exceptions, The Who wrote superior rock songs. Entwhistle embodied everything I personally like in musicians, monumental talent/ability/execution all the while looking like he's thinking about what he wants for lunch the next day. Townsend is a gifted writer, love his compositions. His guitar playing fit beautifully. I give him a lot of credit for allowing the others to shine. Daltry has arguably the best rock voice ever. Moon was a freak of nature. What a combination. They are rock royalty in my book.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What's with The Who?

And while we're at it, can we talk about how the beatles weren't really the best band ever, too?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I always thought that generally speaking and with some exceptions, The Who wrote superior rock songs. Entwhistle embodied everything I personally like in musicians, monumental talent/ability/execution all the while looking like he's thinking about what he wants for lunch the next day. Townsend is a gifted writer, love his compositions. His guitar playing fit beautifully. I give him a lot of credit for allowing the others to shine. Daltry has arguably the best rock voice ever. Moon was a freak of nature. What a combination. They are rock royalty in my book.

same opinion......Live at Leeds sound way superior, raw and original, unpolished, no gimmicks effort than their Tommy concert with all the extra horns and additional guitarists and Simon Philips on the skins.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
the Who was punk rock .... before punk rock even existed
Indeed.

While the Beatles may have influenced more people, the Who influenced more genres of music than any other band.

The Who's influence can be found in
Punk.
New Wave
Deathrock/goth
Prog
Symphonic rock
Heavy Metal/Hard Rock
Pop
Comedy
Modern Blues

Yes, Pete wrote a lot of silly songs that had little more than comedic value. He also wrote a lot of very serious with deep meanings songs. And many songs in between.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
put on Live At Leeds....and if you don't hear one of the most amazing explosive rock bands in the history of recorded music ....then you and I have a completely different perspective on the evolution of rock & roll and what bands contributed to it

they are also the kings of conceptual albums

listen to the Who sell out.... brilliant songs with built in commercials.......awesome record

not to mention A Quick One, Tommy, and Quadrophenia

while everyone was putting flowers in barrels of guns and painting flowers and peace signs on their faces ....the Who was smashing stages and basically telling you to piss off

...Or the DVD of the Isle of White concert...Pete to the crowd (after Keith seemed to have disappeared from the stage ) "We can't play until we have our conductor back, Keith where are you; WE NEED OUR CONDUCTOR" i'm para-phrasing but that sums it up pretty good. There is a lot more that goes in to a band than just playing concerts and his drumming is so accurate & creative after that point that it WAS like watching a conductor.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
same opinion......Live at Leeds sound way superior, raw and original, unpolished, no gimmicks effort than their Tommy concert with all the extra horns and additional guitarists and Simon Philips on the skins.
I don't know, when I saw them live, I thought the trumpet solo was next to as good as Entwistle's bass solo. But, if you think about it, musicals/operas never really have great music or dancing, though they usually have pretty entertaining music and dancing.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
I have noticed an unusual amount Keith Moon adulation.
Nah, just the usual. Been going on for decades even without the benefit of the internet.

Quote:
Right, now I went back and listened to that track "Squeeze Box", and sure enough "the music was all-right", but nothing special.
It's obviously unfair to judge a band or its players on a single track.

As for being nothing special, a song doesn't have to be special in order to engage, amaze, inspire, or simply be enjoyable. Perhaps the fact that the entire band played it straight on that track is what's so special.

I'm not a Who or Moon fanatic, although I have the band's key albums (and Keith's solo LP) and a good appreciation for what they did and how integral Moon was to the sound, the music, and the band, based on what he did. The Who wouldn't have been the same Who without Keith, and his presence in any other group would have been the kiss of death for those bands.

I guess what's special is the relationship that could have only existed with Keith, Roger, Pete and John.

Bermuda
Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.the Who was smashing stages and basically telling you to piss off
Hehehe, succinctly superb!

A couple of years ago, I had quite a long running conversation with Kenny Jones across most of an evening. Discussion was mainly in a gear sound meets playing style context, but some of Kenny's insights into the post Moon era were most interesting. Very few of which I care to repeat here, but the overall picture was one of sheer credit for keith's ability to pull groove out of apparent chaos.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Hehehe, succinctly superb!

A couple of years ago, I had quite a long running conversation with Kenny Jones across most of an evening. Discussion was mainly in a gear sound meets playing style context, but some of Kenny's insights into the post Moon era were most interesting. Very few of which I care to repeat here, but the overall picture was one of sheer credit for keith's ability to pull groove out of apparent chaos.
oooh, I'm jealous.

I'd love to talk to Kenny.

I've often said he gets often overly criticized for things that were out of his control.
I spend much of my youth listening to the Kenny era of The Who.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
oooh, I'm jealous.

I'd love to talk to Kenny.

I've often said he gets often overly criticized for things that were out of his control.
I spend much of my youth listening to the Kenny era of The Who.
Lovely guy, such a gentleman :)
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
put on Live At Leeds....and if you don't hear one of the most amazing explosive rock bands in the history of recorded music ....then you and I have a completely different perspective on the evolution of rock & roll and what bands contributed to it

they are also the kings of conceptual albums

listen to the Who sell out.... brilliant songs with built in commercials.......awesome record

not to mention A Quick One, Tommy, and Quadrophenia

while everyone was putting flowers in barrels of guns and painting flowers and peace signs on their faces ....the Who was smashing stages and basically telling you to piss off

Yeah,that about says it all.The whole band was a force of nature,and never did anything the easy way.This is who we are,and this is what we do,and this is how it sounds.No apologies,so take it or leave it.

Kind of what rock was suppose to be about.A generation that didn't want to silenced any longer,and social revolution.

TO the OP,just listen to Live at leeds on you tube.The Opening number is "Heaven and Hell',which is an Entwistle composition.The band literelly explodes,like someone turning an a light switch,and you have to keep reminding yourself,that this is a 4 piece pand,playing live.No tape tracks,no clicks,no Auto-tune.

They just walked on,and played some of the best rock music,ever written .Only Keith,in my opinion,could breathe life into Townsends music ,like no other drummer could.

They were perfect for one another.Was he a textbook technical wizard,who practiced 8 hours a day ...no.But maybe,he didn't need to be.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 01-07-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:25 PM

Behind Blue Eyes ,,, One of the greatest songs ever written. It stands the test of time, as many of their songs do. The Who have left an indelible mark on Rock history that I am truly grateful for. Moony's contribution is hugely appreciated . But I wouldn't want to be like him.
It's not them as technicians of music, it's them as pioneers!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 PM
WhoIsTony?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Lovely guy, such a gentleman :)
I agree....I think almost all the drummers are gentle until someone wants to borrow their drums and break their cymbals by playing like moonie....
Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The Who just seemed to have more balls than almost any other band. Between Townsends anger, Entwhistles fury on the bass, Daltrys ballsy vocals, one of the best screams in the business, backed up by a tsunami of drums, but with beautiful dynamics that is Keith Moon... holy crap, they were an atom bomb of energy.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 PM
WhoIsTony?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

The Who's current drummer, Scott Devours, was actually my inspiration for finally buying a drum kit and starting lessons. Saw him live with Roger Daltrey in Jan. of 2010 and he was spectacular, as was Daltrey, who still has that amazing voice. He opened for Clapton and blew Clapton out of the water that night. That same year I saw Narada Michael Walden with Jeff Beck and those two drummers are mainly responsible for me being here today.

Amazing music, amazing vocals, and amazing song-writing...what's not to like?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

I bet the late Scott Halpin was the luckiest Who fan ever... going to a Who gig and been called upon from the audience to replace their drummer for 2 numbers...got a Who Jacket (It was stolen later on)......
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 PM
The Old Hyde

their performance at Woodstock killed. Keith was on fire, and Pete was equally amazing that night.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Well....there are two current threads about the Who and there famous drummer, so they must have done something right.

I saw them live, with Moon, and they were an incredible live act. Never the same two nights running so any gig you saw was a unique moment in time. Moon was captivating to watch play. Raw power, drive, and totally unpredictable. Magic.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

I think the best possible replies have already been posted, I won't try to better them.

I'll just say that I completely agree with Opentune, WhoIsTony and Larryace.

Especially the first post by Opentune.

How do you guys always find the right choice of words to reply to a post before I've even read it?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
did you ever get to see them with Moonie uncle L ?

I know you are just about the right age to have
No, I never got to see a Who show. Some friends of mine did and they talked about it in God-like terms. They were just in complete awe.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
did you ever get to see them with Moonie uncle L ?

I know you are just about the right age to have
I saw them with Moonie 3 times.Twice at the Fillmore East,When they did Tommy.Thats the first time I heard Moonie or Roger say ," ave a little respect,it's a fuc&in Opera",and once at the Forest Hills,or maybe it was the Singer Bowl,in 71,right after Who's Next came out.I was just amazed how Moonie could play that intensly,for that long.That show was just electric.The whole place just erupted,when the synth intro to "Won't Get Fooled Again",started to play,as well as the intro to "Pinball Wizard".You didn't even have to light up.And all for 7.50 US

I also saw them at Radio City for the 89 reunion tour,with Simon Phillips in the drum chair,and who was impressive,but Keith was Keith

I also agree with Larry.Daltry,has one of the best screams in Rock.Long live rock.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 01-07-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

The Who are to rock music what the Beatles are to pop music...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

I remember the Dec 17, 1979 TIME Magazine issue........featuring Kenny on the cover...but talks a lot about Moonie in the feature section. (Iran was on Topic.. still then )
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
The Who are to rock music what the Beatles are to pop music...
same as the stones to bad boys of rock n roll....except my man Charley boy.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I also agree with Larry.Daltry,has one of the best screams in Rock.Long live rock.
Yes, one of the best voice in rock, alongside David Byron and Ian Gillan...
Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

Great band...perhaps over-rated to some extent. But a great band.

Not much time for Townshend to be honest. Can't look at him anymore if I'm honest after the internet 'thing'.

I'm not a fetishist for Keith Moon...I'm not quite sure I 'get it'. But one things for sure, if I'm writing a list of my top 10 favourite ever albums, two of the Who's are in there (Tommy and Quadrophenia)....no question
Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

I just a CD copy of Live at Leeds that has the original vinyl song line up.

Yes, I already have the expanded remastered version with all the extra songs, but I often feel nostalgic for the original shorter version. There was something just magical about just having those few songs. And why not, Pete hand picked them for that reason.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

I've seen better musicals.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

I can't really listen to em. They do absolutely nothing for me, except make me cringe with their jokey Englishness. Just IMO, like.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post

How do you guys always find the right choice of words to reply to a post before I've even read it?
Because we're all in different time zones.

Being on West Coast of N America, the meat and potatoes of a thread is usually done by the time I wake up, have morning coffee and log on Drummerworld.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 AM
Renegade

I can't explain it well but The Who are a sensation who had an amazing journey and they have no substitute.

But I digress ... anyway, anyhow ... music must change over time and sadly the song is over, but behind those blue eyes is more than a man with money but one of the most important voices of my generation and a success story, you better you bet!

On a more personal note, I wouldn't say any of them was a real good looking boy, though that could be a trick of the light. Or is it in my head?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I can't explain it well but The Who are a sensation who had an amazing journey and they have no substitute. Sure, none of them could be thought of as a real good looking boy, though that could be a trick of the light. Or is it in my head?

But I digress ... anyway, anyhow ... music must change over time and sadly the song is over, but behind those blue eyes is more than a man with money but one of the most important voices of my generation and a success story, you better you bet!
Groan ;)

clever girl :)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Groan ;)

clever girl :)
Ptttttthhhhhhhhhtttttt! Surely the 15,000th time this conversation has been conducted is worthy of nothing less? We're not gonna take it!

;)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:25 AM

The Who probably had three latent geniuses in the band....to really appreciate what they brought to the table probably requires years of listening and reflection. It's sometimes easy to take something for granted when it has been so available for so long.