NAMM 2014 rumors/whishes

Basswood

Weird, no thread about NAMM?

Please share some rumors or what you'd actually like to see in the stores next year.

Got two things so far:

Yamaha will show their Absolute Evolution series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGSjQ61BBs

and Ludwig their Signet 105 series:

Introducing the Signet 105 Series Drums by Ludwig USA. It
offers the up-and-coming player American drum
craftsmanship at an affordable price. Built with 105 years of
tradition in exceptional American craftsmanship, the North
American Maple shells resonate the professional Ludwig
sound. Also, hand-applied Satin lacquer finish over
engineered-exotic wood veneer and the innovative Insta-Lite
Lug with Triad Suspension Mount allows the player to assemble and personalize the kit
in minutes. It comes in two shell packs, a 4 piece (22/16/12/10) shell pack
(LSS030XTK); street pricing starts at $799. This kit is for professional quality and
sound, when it is no longer the destination but part of the journey! Made in America by
Ludwig and You.

http://www.namm.org/sites/www.namm.org/files_public/presskits/WN14_10

Don Lombardi was hinting at a direct drive pedal, but all he said was: "We are more than just thinking about it". I think they are trying to find a way to actually innovate the concept of something that simple, but if they can't then they won't bother with it. It would be nice if they made a hub replacement that could retrofit your old 5000 pedal into direct drive for those interested, but it's not my company.

I'm hoping to see some new colors for the Performance and Design series. Something a little better than the subdued "car colors" that they've been doing lately.

I saw some weird cosplay people there last year. Not sure what that was all about, but I guess the proliferation of eye-candy isn't a bad thing. I hope they serve better food.

and Ludwig their Signet 105 series

Well, I guess the cat's out about the "S" product I was hinting at...

Note: ... the innovative Insta-Lite Lug with Triad Suspension Mount allows the player to assemble and personalize the kit in minutes... Made in America by Ludwig and You.

I'll let everyone think about exactly what that could mean. :)

Bermuda

Hm. I thought I was dreaming the impossible dream when it came to thinking Ludwig could offer a USA made kit for under $1,000. Bermuda chuckled at the thought, as I recall. :)

Hm. I thought I was dreaming the impossible dream when it came to thinking Ludwig could offer a USA made kit for under $1,000. Bermuda chuckled at the thought, as I recall. :)

Care to guess why the kit is priced like that? :)

This looks like it is going to be another great product from Ludwig. I'm just wondering how they are going to keep the prices down if they are made in the US. Will these be like they were in the 60's where they would just slap cheaper hardware on the top end shells to keep prices down?

Edit: I wrote this before the question was asked but posted after. the above is my response.

USA secretly invaded China last night? ;) ;) ;) JK!

I'm guessing the drums are assembled in the USA, but shells are brought in from offshore in addition to the normal offshore hardware sourcing?

I guess that's close enough? Wait..it's US maple correct? Not sure where the Chinese come into play. Probably hardware. I need a world map.

USA secretly invaded China last night? ;) ;) ;) JK!

I'm guessing the drums are assembled in the USA, but shells are brought in from offshore in addition to the normal offshore hardware sourcing?

Something about the "and you" part of that makes me think that its something else.

Something about the "and you" part of that makes me think that its something else.

Good... good... keep going... :)

Well, I guess the cat's out about the "S" product I was hinting at...

Note: ... the innovative Insta-Lite Lug with Triad Suspension Mount allows the player to assemble and personalize the kit in minutes... Made in America by Ludwig and You.

I'll let everyone think about exactly what that could mean. :)

Bermuda

Any indication if Ludwig is discontinuing any other lines to make room for this in the mid range?

Good... good... keep going... :)

Ok, since you said it.

It's actually easy to figure:

You'll get the plywood, which is 100% USA made. No marketing lies there.

Then you'll need to get yourself some decent molds for 15 grands (if you are lucky).
That plus a drill. A can of clear lacquer is included by Ludwig, which is nice. *grin*

All jokes aside I'd like to see new direct link Yamaha pedals with longer foot boards.
Virgin bass drums for the PDP Concepts along with new finishes would be great.

They expect you to put it together is what I'm guessing or something weird.

DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Shells arrive pre-drilled/slotted, supplied lugs kind of "snap" into place, and if I recall, anything that needs tightening can be done with a drum key... or was it a supplied wrench... IKEA indeed!!

There'll be a kit or two at NAMM, and the finish is beautiful. I think they just offer one though. No idea how they'll sound though. Might be great, just like you wouldn't expect the Element Club Dates to sound great, but they do anyway!

But that's the key to the lower price - no US labor costs on installing hardware, mounts, or heads.

Bermuda

If they do it right they should be good. And it is also one of the smartest and best ways I have heard of cutting costs. I probably won't buy one but I think this is great and I also think it would be a great thing to buy a middle school kid. Something that he can put the work into. It will make him enjoy it more.

DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Shells arrive pre-drilled/slotted, supplied lugs kind of "snap" into place, and if I recall, anything that needs tightening can be done with a drum key... or was it a supplied wrench... IKEA indeed!!

There'll be a kit or two at NAMM, and the finish is beautiful. I think they just offer one though. No idea how they'll sound though. Might be great, just like you wouldn't expect the Element Club Dates to sound great, but they do anyway!

But that's the key to the lower price - no US labor costs on installing hardware, mounts, or heads.

Bermuda
Ah, that's a damn fine idea. Kind of "involving" too for the customer. I can see that taking off :)

Back