DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Default The Winery Dogs and Mike Portnoy

I went to see The Winery Dogs last night and I can happily say that it was a great show. Although it was great seeing both Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen who are both extremely talented, it was obviously Mike who had my attention. I have to say up front that I've always enjoyed Mike playing in Dream Theater and his Liquid Tension Experiment project, but last night was a refreshing difference in his drumming. He didn't have his monster kit with him, but rather a one up - two down Tama chrome wrapped B/B. His playing was more "for the music" as opposed to his more progressive stuff. In essence - and for lack of a better term, he didn't overplay. Everything he did last night was tasteful; more quality as opposed to quantity. The band had great dynamics and a nice ebb and flow to their one long set. I'm glad I was able to go! The venue was only a 500 person room and I was literally at the edge of the stage the whole night.

Last edited by SAINTDRUMS; 11-05-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM

Default Re: The Winery Dogs and Mike Portnoy

I've really only heard one of their songs but I really liked it. They are definitely a power trio. I don't doubt it was an amazing performance.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

I've been listening to their album nonstop for a bout a week. It's really good and they gel very well together. I like the "bluesy rock with prog flourishes every now and then" feel of all of their songs.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Can't get enough of this album. I've listened to it nonstop since it came out back in March, and I love it. It is nice to see Portnoy playing a relatively stripped down kit, and not overplaying as much. There are some REALLY nice grooves on there.

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 PM

There's something I forgot to add to my "review". Mike performed a drum solo as did everyone else in the band. His solo was really short and consisted of a lot of linear chops, some triplet stuff thrown in as well as some other good stuff. Overall a real nice solo, especially when you consider the fact that this kit was a mere fraction of one of his monster kits.