DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Jamming & talking crap :)

Henri visited me yesterday & is still here now :) Spent a really nice evening drinking, eating, playing stuff, & talking about you lot on here ;)

Here's a few photo's of Henri & the setup. Henri got to try out tactile monitoring for the first time too (the mic is only for the tactile monitor, not for sound reinforcement). Just some messing around recorded on a Zoom Q3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UeO...=youtu.be&hd=1


.
Attached Images
      
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 3,208
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

I bet you were both like pigs in you-know-what. Loving the photos and video - I needed a bit of cheering up today and that's helped :D
__________________
Thinly veiled angel

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
StaggerLee StaggerLee is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: maldon, essex
Posts: 843
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

My gods the things I would do for a kit or snare like that....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 3,208
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Oh incidentally, Andy, your old friend is coming round for dinner tonight - I'll show him some of your videos!
__________________
Thinly veiled angel

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,575
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Sounds like an awesome meetup. I'll bet loads of laughs and interesting conversation.

Always enjoy watching you play Andy and I think it's the first time I ever got to see Henri in action which I can tell right off the bat that has a great touch for the instrument.

As always, drums sound wonderful.

Thanks again for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:30 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,896
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Awesome. Looks like a great time had by a couple of great guys.

And the drums are gorgeous!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

You had me at the drinking part!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 5,512
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Good stuff, guys - nice to hang out for real. Some nice playing in short bursts there.
__________________
Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Oh and the single braced stand among the double braced stands.......strictly amature..
( that felt good)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:34 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 6,459
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Hey! That's MY green sparkle Guru snare! (j/k)

Welcome back, Henri!
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
I needed a bit of cheering up today and that's helped :D
Glad we could help :) Nothing too bothersome I hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
My gods the things I would do for a kit or snare like that....
Pictures, or it didn't happen! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Oh incidentally, Andy, your old friend is coming round for dinner tonight - I'll show him some of your videos!
Ian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Sounds like an awesome meetup. I'll bet loads of laughs and interesting conversation.

Always enjoy watching you play Andy and I think it's the first time I ever got to see Henri in action which I can tell right off the bat that has a great touch for the instrument.

As always, drums sound wonderful.

Thanks again for sharing.
Cheers :) Having a great time David :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Awesome. Looks like a great time had by a couple of great guys.

And the drums are gorgeous!
Always fun to meet up with Henri. We've been talking a lot about certain forum members (& especially ex members)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
You had me at the drinking part!
We snagged your interest? Glad we can appeal to you at a level that works for you ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Good stuff, guys - nice to hang out for real. Some nice playing in short bursts there.
Very short bursts. We can only play for 30 seconds, then it's back to the iron lung!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Oh and the single braced stand among the double braced stands.......strictly amature..
( that felt good)
Smug bastard!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Hey! That's MY green sparkle Guru snare! (j/k)

Welcome back, Henri!
You bought it? Cool - would you mind sending payment again please ;)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

thoughts of beer and needling Andy....its good to be back!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,292
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

That bass drum. Oh that bass drum...
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 3,208
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Nothing too bothersome I hope?
Oh, you know, usual sort of thing; nothing that inflicting a considerable amount of pain on a certain individual wouldn't cure.

Failing that, yes, Ian and his missus are coming. Shall I give him your regards? - Hey, we could skype!
__________________
Thinly veiled angel

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-14-2013, 05:39 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
needling Andy....
Ah, that sport ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
That bass drum. Oh that bass drum...
Yes :) Would you believe, I was just discussing this with Henri. There's more bottom end from the bass drum in the room compared to what comes across on the recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Ian and his missus are coming. Shall I give him your regards? - Hey, we could skype!
Yes please :) Skype? What's that? Anyhow, I don't do that kind of kinky stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,896
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

I saw the pics but somehow missed the YouTube link the first time.

Nice playing, guys!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 6,459
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
You bought it? Cool - would you mind sending payment again please ;)
*sigh* if only it were all that easy, I would've sent it the *first* time!
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 3,208
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
*sigh* if only it were all that easy, I would've sent it the *first* time!
At least that's the bit that could be done if I won the lottery. No amount of lottery win would make me able to play the damn thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I don't do that kind of kinky stuff.
No, I know. Henri told me about all the kinky stuff you two did, and none of it involved Skype.
__________________
Thinly veiled angel

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,764
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

I'm with you guys in spirit.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2013, 07:19 PM
FoolInTheRain's Avatar
FoolInTheRain FoolInTheRain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 464
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

My goodness, those drums are almost too pretty to play.
__________________
"Use only that which works, and take it from wherever you can find it." -Bruce Lee
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Smoke Smoke is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lansing, MI, USA
Posts: 621
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

While Larry jams with you in spirit, I'm quaffing a pint of Fuller's ESB with the whole bunch of you in spirit.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

A few pints between mates,some good food and playing some world class drums,with no pressure.

It dosen't get much better than that..

Sounds like a perfect evening to me Andy & Henri.Cheers.:)

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I saw the pics but somehow missed the YouTube link the first time.

Nice playing, guys!
Erm, well, three bottles of wine standard of playing. Just a few clips to add some back room detail to the thread. No performance intended, in fact, Henri didn't even know I switched the recorder on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
*sigh* if only it were all that easy, I would've sent it the *first* time!
This drum is actually the last of two ex demo drums, & is surprisingly economical (for a steam bent English cherry snare that is ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
At least that's the bit that could be done if I won the lottery. No amount of lottery win would make me able to play the damn thing!



No, I know. Henri told me about all the kinky stuff you two did, and none of it involved Skype.
You can play just fine :) Has Henri been giving away our secrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm with you guys in spirit.
We know Larry, we know. It won't be too long before you get to be totally bored with our trivia BS in person ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolInTheRain View Post
My goodness, those drums are almost too pretty to play.
No way! Even the most sexy models like a good thrashing, & these beauties are no exception. They've "been around the block" a bit ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
While Larry jams with you in spirit, I'm quaffing a pint of Fuller's ESB with the whole bunch of you in spirit.
Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
A few pints between mates,some good food and playing some world class drums,with no pressure.

It dosen't get much better than that..

Sounds like a perfect evening to me Andy & Henri.Cheers.:)

Steve B
Indeed Steve :) It would be a delight to meet you on the same basis some day :)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 PM
radman's Avatar
radman radman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the pocket :)
Posts: 273
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
That bass drum. Oh that bass drum...
+1

That bass drum gets me on every recording I've heard. Someday I'll hear it live ... someday ...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:54 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radman View Post
Someday I'll hear it live ... someday ...
That would be very cool :) The drum sounds so much more satisfying in real life.

As a bit of fun, I put that bass drum through our PA when I was doing sound & lights at a recent festival. The opposite of every other bass drum we mic'd (all 14 of them!), I actually had to dial back 125Hz by -2db & 60Hz by -6db!!!!! On a 12" deep x 20" bass drum, that's just ridiculous!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Otto Otto is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,554
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Beautiful kit!

...great cymbal selection...and the BC2...love the rims...

Looks like a AKG 112 out front for the monitor?

...very nice setup...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Beautiful kit!

...great cymbal selection...and the BC2...love the rims...

Looks like a AKG 112 out front for the monitor?

...very nice setup...
Thank you :) Yes, D112 for the BC2.

TBH, no thought gone into this setup. It's just what Henri & I chose to put up so we could have a play :)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 6,227
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Henri got to try out tactile monitoring for the first time too (the mic is only for the tactile monitor, not for sound reinforcement).
Yes indeed, and it was an amazing experience altogether, I strongly advice female drummers to use a minimal setting when using the tactile monitoring, at full blow it might provide far too much vibrations for you girls :):):)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
My gods the things I would do for a kit or snare like that....
I know.... it was a bloodbath when I left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I think it's the first time I ever got to see Henri in action which I can tell right off the bat that has a great touch for the instrument.
Thanks David, however, I would love to have that jazz touch of yours... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Awesome. Looks like a great time had by a couple of great guys.

And the drums are gorgeous!
Thanks Larry, yes I had a wonderful time with Andy, Yvonne, the dogs and the "cappucino", wonderful cymbals too, especially the hi-hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Good stuff, guys - nice to hang out for real. Some nice playing in short bursts there.
The real stuff is always better than the virtual stuff :)

It was nice playing a copycat of your drums Grea :) (or is it yours which is a copycat of the kit I was playing?)

I also had the chance to try out a In-Tense snare, ha!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
....strictly amature...)
That was on purpose!!!! it's to match the players :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Welcome back, Henri!
Thanks Al, It's nice to be back :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
That bass drum. Oh that bass drum...
I know Dunc, it's killer.... it defies all logic... a few yards in front or in the stairs, you'd swear it's a 24" BD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I saw the pics but somehow missed the YouTube link the first time.

Nice playing, guys!
Thanks Larry :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm with you guys in spirit.
I'm glad it's only in spirit Uncle, you'd probably be upset with all the things we discussed about you :):):)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolInTheRain View Post
My goodness, those drums are almost too pretty to play.
True... but once you start, you can't stop :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
A few pints between mates,some good food and playing some world class drums,with no pressure.

It dosen't get much better than that..

Sounds like a perfect evening to me Andy & Henri.Cheers.:)

Steve B
You're right Steve, It dosen't get much better than that... it was a perfect couple days, wonderful friends, food and drums :)

I'll go back there that's for sure....despite the very narrow lanes :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Has Henri been giving away our secrets?
Only the bit about cling film and mazola oil :)
__________________
I'm Swissman
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post

You're right Steve, It dosen't get much better than that... it was a perfect couple days, wonderful friends, food and drums :)

I'll go back there that's for sure....despite the very narrow lanes :)



Only the bit about cling film and mazola oil :)
Thanks Henri :) I enjoyed your company very much :)

Cling film & Mazola oil - a classic fun combination. A game of twister anyone? ;)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Otto Otto is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,554
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

..oh, and HEY Henri! : )
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Thanks Henri :) I enjoyed your company very much :)

Cling film & Mazola oil - a classic fun combination. A game of twister anyone? ;)
You guys really know how to party!!?
I'll stick to my hallucinogens, ty.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-18-2013, 12:57 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 6,227
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Cling film & Mazola oil - a classic fun combination. A game of twister anyone? ;)
:):):)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
..oh, and HEY Henri! : )
Hey Otto!!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
You guys really know how to party!!?
I'll stick to my hallucinogens, ty.
Yes we do Bon, I wish you could have been there....

... I tell you these drums are for real, it's not an hallucination :)
__________________
I'm Swissman
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Yes we do Bon, I wish you could have been there....

... I tell you these drums are for real, it's not an hallucination :)
I plan to visit Europe and especially Great Britain area some time in the future. Definitely around LDS time of year. I have a friend in Stockholm and family in Holland too. For now, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Honestly, I've never hallucinated while drumming; that is If you don't count that hippy drum circle night back in 1995 playing at Mirror Lake under Half Dome and waiting for the full moon to rise. It was cosmic!
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Joe Morris's Avatar
Joe Morris Joe Morris is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 677
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

I love my guru snare drum. No I mean I LOVE IT!! I have engineers now that ask for it. LOL. They always say make sure you bring that guru snare man!!! Funny how that works. My mouth is watering over those drums.
__________________
www.joemorris.net
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,764
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
I love my guru snare drum. No I mean I LOVE IT!! I have engineers now that ask for it. LOL. They always say make sure you bring that guru snare man!!! Funny how that works. My mouth is watering over those drums.
Which one did you get Joe?
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Joe Morris's Avatar
Joe Morris Joe Morris is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 677
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Here is a few shots of it. Its bubinga with small maple slots. The cross stick is amazing. Its like having 3 snares in one. The tuning range is crazy. I can get it really low or get it to crack!! I like the in between myself. You can have it really tight or a bit loose its totally up to your taste . The drum has a ton of personalities if you will. By far it is the best made drum I have ever seen. Truly amazing work and craftmanship. What can I say I'm not getting paid to say this stuff, I bought mine and I love it. It is by far the best snare drum I have ever owned and I have slimmed down now I only have about 30. I actually may start to sell a few off since their just getting dusty now. LOL
Attached Images
  
__________________
www.joemorris.net
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,622
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

It's nice to have proof that Henri LIVES! Good to see you playing too Henri! Those drums sound absolutely beautiful - I was going to say something smart-aleck-y since all everybody says is that those drums sounds wonderful - but they really do. I'm gonna have to fly out to your place Andy to take 'em for a spin now ;)

But Larry is a bit closer.....nah, he'd make me bring you-know-who....

But the guy who posted his playing here with his vintage Rogers Big R kit in Germany, those sounded really good too. Maybe it was his Telefunken microphones..... ;)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
I love my guru snare drum. No I mean I LOVE IT!! I have engineers now that ask for it. LOL. They always say make sure you bring that guru snare man!!! Funny how that works.
We can't ask for more than that Joe :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
The cross stick is amazing. Its like having 3 snares in one. The tuning range is crazy. I can get it really low or get it to crack!! I like the in between myself. You can have it really tight or a bit loose its totally up to your taste . The drum has a ton of personalities if you will. By far it is the best made drum I have ever seen. Truly amazing work and craftmanship. What can I say I'm not getting paid to say this stuff, I bought mine and I love it. It is by far the best snare drum I have ever owned and I have slimmed down now I only have about 30. I actually may start to sell a few off since their just getting dusty now. LOL
Joe, thank you so much for your kind words. Makes us feel so good about getting it right for you :)

For those interested, Joe's snare was very specifically built towards Joe's needs. He wanted a piccollo with dept of tone & a recording friendly voice. Not an easy task, but it seems we got there. Although engineers like Joe's snare, I think Joe will agree here, they benefit greatly from backing off on the mic's such that they capture a more resolved sound. The tone actually increases the further away the mic is placed, rather that the usual reverse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
It's nice to have proof that Henri LIVES! Good to see you playing too Henri! Those drums sound absolutely beautiful - I was going to say something smart-aleck-y since all everybody says is that those drums sounds wonderful - but they really do. I'm gonna have to fly out to your place Andy to take 'em for a spin now ;)

But Larry is a bit closer.....nah, he'd make me bring you-know-who....

But the guy who posted his playing here with his vintage Rogers Big R kit in Germany, those sounded really good too. Maybe it was his Telefunken microphones..... ;)
Thanks Bo - but no mic's being used here (well, just the ones on the Zoom Q3), & absolutely no serious recording attempt. Just put the zoom down close to the nearest mains socket & left it recording. A couple of guys messing around & talking (mainly wine fuelled) crap :)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Andy, I thought Joes looked like a piccolo, it looks very thick too. is it a 15? hard to tell from the pictures. Sweet looking snare! my posts are choppy this morning?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Jamming & talking crap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Andy, I thought Joes looked like a piccolo, it looks very thick too. is it a 15? hard to tell from the pictures. Sweet looking snare! my posts are choppy this morning?
Joe's snare is a 14", & yes, quite thick at around 3/4". A thick shell seems like a strange choice if you want tone from a snare, but in the case of a stave piccolo, things work a little differently. Piccolo's struggle with shell tone, there simply isn't a lot of surface area to work with, so with Joe's build, we concentrated on getting a resonating mass into the mix via generous bearing edge contact area. Bubinga responds very well to such a construction, but benefitted from a little midrange lift with the maple inserts. Shells of 5" & deeper are so much easier to augment. As Joe mentions, his piccolo goes low, & with credibility. Not an easy thing to do with such a shallow shell.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com