DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,353
Default Tama experts-need some help!

What's with all the the different lines having "Star" in their names? It's always been a point of confusion for me ever since the 80's Neil Peart days. Imperialstar, silverstar, starclassic etc...
What are the different product line names in order of build quality?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Muckster's Avatar
Muckster Muckster is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm right behind you.
Posts: 1,921
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Hoshino Gakki began manufaturing "Star Drums" back in the mid 60's i believe. The name "Hoshino" means "star fields" so the "Star" became a stigma. In 1979 manufacturing began under the name of "Tama" which was the name of his wife, and means "Jewel."
__________________
Max Roach did it, Elvin Jones did it, but Roy Haynes didit and didit and didit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 PM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 1,478
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

The whole star things comes from the original company's name "Star Drums". As for all of the different star lines, we could be here all day. I know they have produced, at various times:

Star - Newest line of handmade drums. Top of the Tama line
Starclassic - Previous top of the line Tama. Pro level drums in Maple/Birch/Bubinga/Steel
Superstar - Semi-pro birch drums.
Silverstar - Same at Superstar, not sure why a new line was created
Rockstar - Precurser to superstar. Intermediate level drums
Imperialstar - Entry level basswood shells
Grandstar - Discontinued intermediate level drums (birch I think)
Artstar -
Stagestar -
Swingstar -

I am sure there are more I have missed. Some with carbon fiber and poly shells I think.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,353
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Thanks for all of that. It helped.
Incidentally I just listened to some of the new Star line of Bubinga drums, very impressive and very expensive!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,840
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

And to further confuse matters, Superstar was the top of the line back in the 70s and 80s and Imperialstar was also considered top of the line but came in a wrap and the insides were coated (built for he road, I suppose). Granstar came later and replaced the Superstar with the Artstar becoming the top. Starclassic came in the 90s replacing the Artstars and Granstars and Superstar and Imperialstar were re-introduced as intermediate kits which are actually quite good. But yeah, a bit confusing to keep up with and more like fashion ;)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
The whole star things comes from the original company's name "Star Drums". As for all of the different star lines, we could be here all day. I know they have produced, at various times:

Star - Newest line of handmade drums. Top of the Tama line
Starclassic - Previous top of the line Tama. Pro level drums in Maple/Birch/Bubinga/Steel
Superstar - Semi-pro birch drums.
Silverstar - Same at Superstar, not sure why a new line was created
Rockstar - Precurser to superstar. Intermediate level drums
Imperialstar - Entry level basswood shells
Grandstar - Discontinued intermediate level drums (birch I think)
Artstar -
Stagestar -
Swingstar -

I am sure there are more I have missed. Some with carbon fiber and poly shells I think.


The Vintage 70's Fiberstars were fiberglass shells.

The 86 only,limited edition Beatstars. were a two wood hybrid only Tama knows I think.

Vintage 86 Crestars replaced the Superstar line and were 6 ply/7 ply all Japanese birch

The 70's early 80's Superstar series were Tamas top of the line till they were discontinued in 86.They were at first 4 ply all birch,then 6 ply all birch.Played by Neil Peart,Elvin Jones and Lenny White just to name a few.

The vintage 70's 80's Imperialstar series were also pro level drums and Tamas second line.
Thye were 9 ply mahogany with zolacoated interiors.Played by Stewart Copeland,Frank Beard and Liberty DeVito .

The Superstar and Imperialstar NAMES,were revived by Tama and are NOT the same drums as their 70's/80's predecesors

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 08-09-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,193
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
And to further confuse matters, Superstar was the top of the line back in the 70s and 80s and Imperialstar was also considered top of the line but came in a wrap and the insides were coated (built for he road, I suppose). Granstar came later and replaced the Superstar with the Artstar becoming the top. Starclassic came in the 90s replacing the Artstars and Granstars and Superstar and Imperialstar were re-introduced as intermediate kits which are actually quite good. But yeah, a bit confusing to keep up with and more like fashion ;)
I think its very silly what they did with Imperialstar. I mean were they not pro level ...Stewart Copeland and others used them? (no doubt making older ones sought after) and now its down to near entry level? Not good corporate sense.

I wonder at Tama what they will name their next series of 'stars' ...... megastar? darkstar? Kingstar? Wish-upon- a-star?
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Muckster's Avatar
Muckster Muckster is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm right behind you.
Posts: 1,921
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I think its very silly what they did with Imperialstar. I mean were they not pro level ...Stewart Copeland and others used them? (no doubt making older ones sought after) and now its down to near entry level? Not good corporate sense.

I wonder at Tama what they will name their next series of 'stars' ...... megastar? darkstar? Kingstar? Wish-upon- a-star?
"Death Star" for the metal heads.
__________________
Max Roach did it, Elvin Jones did it, but Roy Haynes didit and didit and didit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Ian Ballard's Avatar
Ian Ballard Ian Ballard is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 734
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
Silverstar - Same at Superstar, not sure why a new line was created
Not the same. Totally different lug (which is really cool, btw), triple flanged hoops instead of die-cast, a different iso-mount system and a different interior finish. Now, the Superstars only come in the "hyperdrive" shallow-tom sizes and X-tra deep bass drum (I think). Personally I would have rather they just call the Silverstar SUPERstar and ditch the high-tension lugs. Honestly, who tunes toms high enough anymore using TAMAS to need high-tension lugs that kill shell resonance? The classic Superstar drums were separate lugs. Anyway, the Silverstars are AMAZING drums for the price and I picked them not because they were relatively cheap but because, to my ear and technique, they sounded and felt "just right" to me. I could have plunked down the $700 on layaway for a B/B Performer or something "pro"-grade but I honestly liked the response, crispness and tone (with the crappy stock heads, mind you) from the Silvers. The bearing edge is interesting. The peak is nearly in the middle of the shell, so the head has more contact with the shell and these things resonate REALLY nicely compared to drums with the peak at the end of the shell (DW's others like them). You're getting more shell-tone, in my humble opinion than a lot of drums priced 5 times as much.

Anyway, that aside, I like Tamas. I like that they haven't been through 50 different ownerships over the years and kept a strong market hold and have a quality line all the way through the pricerange. The new Imperalstars are actually very nice-sounding drums. Their Chinese factory is 100% controlled by Hoshino and all workers are extensively trained BY Hoshino drum craftsman and quality standards are very high. The shells are manufactured with the exact same processes and wood-curing/drying process as their premium Japan-made drums. I didn't find ONE flaw in any of the bearing edges or parts when I received my kit. I found more flaws and issues with the $4000 DW kit a good friend of mine recently bought. One of the bearing edges was badly cut, so bad he returned it and got a replacement that was fine. I like the marketing "Star" name. It gives them a distinct identity, rather than lame generic names like, "Maple Classics" or "Vintage Customs" or whatever the neuvo-US companies call their drums.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 PM
AZStickman's Avatar
AZStickman AZStickman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 150
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
Not the same. Totally different lug (which is really cool, btw), triple flanged hoops instead of die-cast, a different iso-mount system and a different interior finish. Now, the Superstars only come in the "hyperdrive" shallow-tom sizes and X-tra deep bass drum (I think). Personally I would have rather they just call the Silverstar SUPERstar and ditch the high-tension lugs. Honestly, who tunes toms high enough anymore using TAMAS to need high-tension lugs that kill shell resonance? The classic Superstar drums were separate lugs. Anyway, the Silverstars are AMAZING drums for the price and I picked them not because they were relatively cheap but because, to my ear and technique, they sounded and felt "just right" to me. I could have plunked down the $700 on layaway for a B/B Performer or something "pro"-grade but I honestly liked the response, crispness and tone (with the crappy stock heads, mind you) from the Silvers. The bearing edge is interesting. The peak is nearly in the middle of the shell, so the head has more contact with the shell and these things resonate REALLY nicely compared to drums with the peak at the end of the shell (DW's others like them). You're getting more shell-tone, in my humble opinion than a lot of drums priced 5 times as much.

Anyway, that aside, I like Tamas. I like that they haven't been through 50 different ownerships over the years and kept a strong market hold and have a quality line all the way through the pricerange. The new Imperalstars are actually very nice-sounding drums. Their Chinese factory is 100% controlled by Hoshino and all workers are extensively trained BY Hoshino drum craftsman and quality standards are very high. The shells are manufactured with the exact same processes and wood-curing/drying process as their premium Japan-made drums. I didn't find ONE flaw in any of the bearing edges or parts when I received my kit. I found more flaws and issues with the $4000 DW kit a good friend of mine recently bought. One of the bearing edges was badly cut, so bad he returned it and got a replacement that was fine. I like the marketing "Star" name. It gives them a distinct identity, rather than lame generic names like, "Maple Classics" or "Vintage Customs" or whatever the neuvo-US companies call their drums.
Great post Ian!!...... Lots of good info there..... Thank You...... Terry
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-09-2013, 10:17 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I think its very silly what they did with Imperialstar. I mean were they not pro level ...Stewart Copeland and others used them? (no doubt making older ones sought after) and now its down to near entry level? Not good corporate sense.

I wonder at Tama what they will name their next series of 'stars' ...... megastar? darkstar? Kingstar? Wish-upon- a-star?
If you ever get a chance to plat a 70's,early 80's Imperialstar kit in standard sized,you should do so.

They are nothing like the Imperialstars of today.,who's shells are I believe basswood.

Those vintage drums were deep and punchy,and were a favorite of Copelands.Liberty DeVito also used the concert tom line of Imperialstars live and in the studio,and much of the mid 70's Billy Joel music ,has those drums on the tracks.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
Not the same. Totally different lug (which is really cool, btw), triple flanged hoops instead of die-cast, a different iso-mount system and a different interior finish. Now, the Superstars only come in the "hyperdrive" shallow-tom sizes and X-tra deep bass drum (I think). Personally I would have rather they just call the Silverstar SUPERstar and ditch the high-tension lugs. Honestly, who tunes toms high enough anymore using TAMAS to need high-tension lugs that kill shell resonance? The classic Superstar drums were separate lugs. Anyway, the Silverstars are AMAZING drums for the price and I picked them not because they were relatively cheap but because, to my ear and technique, they sounded and felt "just right" to me. I could have plunked down the $700 on layaway for a B/B Performer or something "pro"-grade but I honestly liked the response, crispness and tone (with the crappy stock heads, mind you) from the Silvers. The bearing edge is interesting. The peak is nearly in the middle of the shell, so the head has more contact with the shell and these things resonate REALLY nicely compared to drums with the peak at the end of the shell (DW's others like them). You're getting more shell-tone, in my humble opinion than a lot of drums priced 5 times as much.

Anyway, that aside, I like Tamas. I like that they haven't been through 50 different ownerships over the years and kept a strong market hold and have a quality line all the way through the pricerange. The new Imperalstars are actually very nice-sounding drums. Their Chinese factory is 100% controlled by Hoshino and all workers are extensively trained BY Hoshino drum craftsman and quality standards are very high. The shells are manufactured with the exact same processes and wood-curing/drying process as their premium Japan-made drums. I didn't find ONE flaw in any of the bearing edges or parts when I received my kit. I found more flaws and issues with the $4000 DW kit a good friend of mine recently bought. One of the bearing edges was badly cut, so bad he returned it and got a replacement that was fine. I like the marketing "Star" name. It gives them a distinct identity, rather than lame generic names like, "Maple Classics" or "Vintage Customs" or whatever the neuvo-US companies call their drums.
+1000 Ian.Even though the "new" Imperialstars aren't what their older cousins are,they are very good sounding drums..

Tama does have a heritage of building excellent drums,while still manageing to be competitive

Tamas workmanship and build quality has always been excellent.

As I type this though,I'm reminded of a current thread on wrap bubbling on a set of Silverstars..according to that OP.

In my experience,that would be a rare exception in Tama QC.Like I've said before,it can happen to anyone.....even Rolls Royce.

Tama dosen't know how to build crappy drums.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,426
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I think its very silly what they did with Imperialstar. I mean were they not pro level ...Stewart Copeland and others used them? (no doubt making older ones sought after) and now its down to near entry level? Not good corporate sense.
It drives me crazy that Tama and Yahama have started re-using older names.

As for Imperial Stars, to be fair, yes the 80's version were marketed as a semi-pro/pro set and used by various big name drummers. But by today's standards, those same drums sold today would be considered entry level. Note that Tama never ever disclosed what wood was in the original Imperial Star line, further the shells were coated on the inside, and wrapped on the outside to make it impossible to know what wood was in there. Other than the hardware, there never seemed to be a difference between the Imperial star and the Swingstar of the 80's.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,353
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Are the Starclassic "Performer" drums a different thing than the Starclassics? Or is it just a kit configuration.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 AM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 1,478
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

SC Performers are birch shells (or birch/bubinga), with the same hardware as the rest of the SC lines. Performers also have bass drum mounted tom mounts, all of the other SC lines have virgin bass drums. I believe this is a recent change though, my 2007 SC maples had the bass drum mount.

Last edited by eclipseownzu; 08-13-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
It drives me crazy that Tama and Yahama have started re-using older names.

As for Imperial Stars, to be fair, yes the 80's version were marketed as a semi-pro/pro set and used by various big name drummers. But by today's standards, those same drums sold today would be considered entry level. Note that Tama never ever disclosed what wood was in the original Imperial Star line, further the shells were coated on the inside, and wrapped on the outside to make it impossible to know what wood was in there. Other than the hardware, there never seemed to be a difference between the Imperial star and the Swingstar of the 80's.
The early IMPERIALSTAR/SWINGSTAR were 9 plys of commercial grade mahogany with re-rings, the difference between the lines 'was' the fittings/hardware and I believe some sizes. Both lines had wrapped finishes with some different colour options. The TAMA FIBRESTAR line could have been considered genuinely 'seamless'.

TAMA also sprayed the insides of the IMPERIALSTAR metal snare drums (that they advertised as 'seamless') to hide a well finished seam. Guess they could've also claimed IMPERIALSTAR tom/bass shells were 'seamless' too, since you can't see the seams under the coating.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 08-13-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Besides my King beat,I also had an Imperialstar 6.4x14 for a few years,and the interior had no coating at all,and it was a seemless shell..

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Besides my King beat,I also had an Imperialstar 6.4x14 for a few years,and the interior had no coating at all,and it was a seemless shell..

Steve B
Really, do you have pic's, or can post some pic examples?

And how was TAMA supposedly making 'seamless steel' shells, stamping them out, deep drawn, cast?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:30 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,426
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
The early IMPERIALSTAR/SWINGSTAR were 9 plys of commercial grade mahogany with re-rings, .
You know that, I know that, but my point was Tama never said it.

The Imperial Star in the Tama 1983 catalog only says "plys of straight grain wood"
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...at_id=54&now=7
No actual disclosure of how many plies of what kind of wood. lol.

Last edited by DrumEatDrum; 08-13-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Really, do you have pic's, or can post some pic examples?

And how was TAMA supposedly making 'seamless steel' shells, stamping them out, deep drawn, cast?
Those drums have spun steel seamless shells.Later drums like the Swingstar that have thinner steel shells...are welded,but they are a different vintage.

I would also ask of you the same thing,

Please privide pic of an UNALTERED,period correct Imperstar steel snare drum,with a zolacoated interior.

Also,why just coat the Imperialstar badged steel snare? Why not the Powerline,Kingbeat and Swingstar,who all used EXACTLY the same spun steel shell?

I don't have a photo of my drum,which as I indicated was sold years ago,................but,if you go the gear>drums section,there is a Thread entitled Tama Imperialstar steel snare drums,toward the top of the page.

In that thread ,is a VERY clear pic on a 6.5x14 Imperialstar steel snare,and you can clearly see inside the shell ,there is NO coating inside the shell.

Why would Tama openly talk about zolacoating Imperstar toms and bass drums,and exclude that info about snare drums? Sounds very cloak and dagger to me..

Conversly,a steel snare drums with zolacoating inside?Really?

Such a drum would be historical for two reasons; it would be a monumantal failure because of the fact that it would be a first,and because it would sound..........terrible.

If there is any "coating" on the inside of that era Imperialstar steel shell,its unpolished chrome.

Take a look at the interior of a COA supra,the interior appears to be just about the same as a steel Tama snare of that period....dosen't it?

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

You know that, I know that, but my point was Tama never said it.

The Imperial Star in the Tama 1983 catalog only says "plys of straight grain wood"
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...at_id=54&now=7
No actual disclosure of how many plies of what kind of wood. lol.


They also didn't mention early/vintage IMPERIALSTAR toms and bass drums were/are 'seamless'... you can't see the seam. They also don't mention their STEWART COPELAND signature snare drum as being 'seamless' either, but some peoples reference is catalog description(s) only, and catalogs were (are less so) notoriously full of factual errors, and in TAMA'S case maybe intentionally(?).

Seamless and one-piece are two different things? You can have a 1 piece snare with a seam. It seems TAMA should be able to call a drum that has a seam 'seamless' if they finish it well enough so seam can't be seen right?


Why would Tama openly talk about zolacoating Imperstar toms and bass drums,and exclude that info about snare drums? Sounds very cloak and dagger to me..

To my knowledge nobodies mentioned IMPERIALSTAR snares as being ZOLA coated until you STEVE B, guess you're just assuming that since I mentioned they were "coated". They weren't ZOLA COATED like the wood shell toms/bass', which makes me wonder if you've ever seen the inside of one of the snares, even tho you say you had one.

I don't need to look at pic's, I played TAMA exclusively in the early 80's, specifically owned IMPERIALSTAR/KING BEAT snares and when I did need to service one due to a broken strainer (and yes the strainers don't hold up well w/heavy use) I discovered the seam under the coating. This coating isn't ZOLA COATING, it's probably a reasonable facsimile... tho sprayed on lighter and being grey'ish in colour. So yes, TAMA did spray a coating on their steel shell snare drums. Im not going to stoop so low as to say openly on this forum that TAMA is FOS, tho I will say after I made the discovery is when I stopped playing TAMA completely.


Please privide pic of an UNALTERED,period correct Imperstar steel snare drum,with a zolacoated interior.

Im patiently waiting to come across said model(s) and will reveal the hidden seam in pictures. Here's one on sale eBay
, you can see the greyish spray coating on the inside. If you're still skeptical, ask the seller modrmzdncents if the inside is coated. (I'll post the ebay pics below for reference since the auction will eventually end).


Those drums have spun steel seamless shells........

I know of no deep drawn/spun 'steel' snare drum shells... ferro manganese, aluminum, bronze etc. but not steel.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:58 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

You forgot about the 1984 Imagestar? I wonder how much one of these would be worth in good condition?

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...at_id=60&now=1

I know in the 1988 catalog they mention the wood on the Rockstar is "plywood" and it had the Zola coating. The Pro version has basswood inner and outer plies. The plywood or anywhere they mention just "wood" is more than likely Philippian Mahogany or Luan according to the guys on the Tama forum.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:28 PM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 1,478
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

LASER cymbals! I completely forgot about those. I had a Laser crash on my first kit. It sounded like absolute shit!

Back to your regularly scheduled program.....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-14-2013, 05:00 PM
JasperGTR JasperGTR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
...
Tama dosen't know how to build crappy drums.
...
This is why I have a hard time buying anything else...

Even for my nephew and son, I will only purchase Tama. Their originally drums sold me, their hardware kept me for the next 25+ years (I originally started with Ludwig/Slingerland).
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Ian Ballard's Avatar
Ian Ballard Ian Ballard is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 734
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
You forgot about the 1984 Imagestar? I wonder how much one of these would be worth in good condition?

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...at_id=60&now=1

I know in the 1988 catalog they mention the wood on the Rockstar is "plywood" and it had the Zola coating. The Pro version has basswood inner and outer plies. The plywood or anywhere they mention just "wood" is more than likely Philippian Mahogany or Luan according to the guys on the Tama forum.
Wow, that must be the Eddie Van Halen signature kit, right? ;)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
You know that, I know that, but my point was Tama never said it.

The Imperial Star in the Tama 1983 catalog only says "plys of straight grain wood"
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...at_id=54&now=7
No actual disclosure of how many plies of what kind of wood. lol.


They also didn't mention early/vintage IMPERIALSTAR toms and bass drums were/are 'seamless'... you can't see the seam. They also don't mention their STEWART COPELAND signature snare drum as being 'seamless' either, but some peoples reference is catalog description(s) only, and catalogs were (are less so) notoriously full of factual errors, and in TAMA'S case maybe intentionally(?).

Seamless and one-piece are two different things? You can have a 1 piece snare with a seam. It seems TAMA should be able to call a drum that has a seam 'seamless' if they finish it well enough so seam can't be seen right?


Why would Tama openly talk about zolacoating Imperstar toms and bass drums,and exclude that info about snare drums? Sounds very cloak and dagger to me..

To my knowledge nobodies mentioned IMPERIALSTAR snares as being ZOLA coated until you STEVE B, guess you're just assuming that since I mentioned they were "coated". They weren't ZOLA COATED like the wood shell toms/bass', which makes me wonder if you've ever seen the inside of one of the snares, even tho you say you had one.

I don't need to look at pic's, I played TAMA exclusively in the early 80's, specifically owned IMPERIALSTAR/KING BEAT snares and when I did need to service one due to a broken strainer (and yes the strainers don't hold up well w/heavy use) I discovered the seam under the coating. This coating isn't ZOLA COATING, it's probably a reasonable facsimile... tho sprayed on lighter and being grey'ish in colour. So yes, TAMA did spray a coating on their steel shell snare drums. Im not going to stoop so low as to say openly on this forum that TAMA is FOS, tho I will say after I made the discovery is when I stopped playing TAMA completely.


Please privide pic of an UNALTERED,period correct Imperstar steel snare drum,with a zolacoated interior.

Im patiently waiting to come across said model(s) and will reveal the hidden seam in pictures. Here's one on sale eBay
, you can see the greyish spray coating on the inside. If you're still skeptical, ask the seller modrmzdncents if the inside is coated. (I'll post the ebay pics below for reference since the auction will eventually end).


Those drums have spun steel seamless shells........

I know of no deep drawn/spun 'steel' snare drum shells... ferro manganese, aluminum, bronze etc. but not steel.


That's what's called ...UNPOLISHED CHROME.It's NOT a coating.

A coating would have to be fairly thick to hide a welded seam...wouldn't it?



Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
That's what's called ...UNPOLISHED CHROME.It's NOT a coating.

A coating would have to be fairly thick to hide a welded seam...wouldn't it?



Steve B


UNPOLISHED CHROME?? And bldg 7 WTC was completely leveled by falling debris from the WTC towers right?

OK, its clear you've never seen the inside of one of these drums in person Steve B. Yes, TAMA did coat the insides of their (advertised as 'seamless') metal snare drums and its not (yet) been a monumental failure.

Why would TAMA spay a coating on the inside of a metal drum (they claim is 'seamless')?
You need to ask ourself that question. Why use/waste spray? Easier to do a quick buff, or no buff at all.

TAMA finished the seams on these drums well, they spent (a little more) time/effort making it smooth enough on both sides so the chrome plating wouldn't expose it, but not the extra effort needed on the inside hence the coating, too hard to get inside that fold-over and be 100% effective, easier to spray and hide and so that's what they did.

The achilles heel to the deception is in the fold overs (the reverse side of the bearing edges) inside the shell, this is where to look if you're to have the best chance finding the well hidden atrocity.

Is it OK to advertise a drum with a seam as 'seamless' just b/c you finish it well enough average Joe drummer/dealer can't see the seam? Was it intentionally marketed as 'seamless', or could there could be more to this story?


Such a drum would be historical for two reasons; it would be a monumantal failure because of the fact that it would be a first,and because it would sound..........terrible.

Look at all who bought/rave about the drum, not a failure. Success per deceptive marketing tho not 'really' deceptive using terms like "Seamless" and "Seamless shell construction". Wording like that is open to interpretation, altho leaning heavily to one side. ZOLA coated IMPERIALSTAR toms/basses are 'seamless' right?... you can't see a seam.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Les, please. For the love of all believed deities. Chill out. It's getting increasingly difficult to take you seriously.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 AM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,193
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Les, please. For the love of all believed deities. Chill out. It's getting increasingly difficult to take you seriously.
"less is more" ....doesn't really seem to pertain to the length of the replies. lol
OK no hard feelings anybody, some of this is all in fun.
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
UNPOLISHED CHROME?? And bldg 7 WTC was completely leveled by falling debris from the WTC towers right?

OK, its clear you've never seen the inside of one of these drums in person Steve B. Yes, TAMA did coat the insides of their (advertised as 'seamless') metal snare drums and its not (yet) been a monumental failure.

Why would TAMA spay a coating on the inside of a metal drum (they claim is 'seamless')?
You need to ask ourself that question. Why use/waste spray? Easier to do a quick buff, or no buff at all.

TAMA finished the seams on these drums well, they spent (a little more) time/effort making it smooth enough on both sides so the chrome plating wouldn't expose it, but not the extra effort needed on the inside hence the coating, too hard to get inside that fold-over and be 100% effective, easier to spray and hide and so that's what they did.

The achilles heel to the deception is in the fold overs (the reverse side of the bearing edges) inside the shell, this is where to look if you're to have the best chance finding the well hidden atrocity.

Is it OK to advertise a drum with a seam as 'seamless' just b/c you finish it well enough average Joe drummer/dealer can't see the seam? Was it intentionally marketed as 'seamless', or could there could be more to this story?


Such a drum would be historical for two reasons; it would be a monumantal failure because of the fact that it would be a first,and because it would sound..........terrible.

Look at all who bought/rave about the drum, not a failure. Success per deceptive marketing tho not 'really' deceptive using terms like "Seamless" and "Seamless shell construction". Wording like that is open to interpretation, altho leaning heavily to one side. ZOLA coated IMPERIALSTAR toms/basses are 'seamless' right?... you can't see a seam.
Really Les,your rambling now.We weren't talking about the scarf joints in the Imperialstar toms and bass drums,were we?

Seamless means just that...without a seam.

Take a look at the interior of a Ludwig supra,and what do you see?Shiny chrome like the exterior of the shell? Are we to believe that supras are coated also?

No,what you see is unpolished chrome.Do know how chrome plated metal drum shells are made?

The ENTIRE shell is submerged in first copper,then nickel,and then chrome baths.......repeat........ the entire shell,not just the outside.

The exterior of the shell is then polished,and the interior of the shell is left alone,because there's no point in polishing the inside.......

Those drums sound great because of the build quality,thickness of the steel and great bearing edges...there is no coating.

Give it a rest already.

I really don't give a rats ,.if you don't believe if I've ever seen/owned/played/looked at or otherwise have even been the same room with one of those drums.

Let's just argee to disargee and leave it at that.And lets do it without calling my credibility and honesty into question,because you're upset..

I didn't do that to you.I'm done with this "conversation".


Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 08-15-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 AM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 3,353
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Wow this thread really picked up speed and ran right off the tracks!
Thanks for the useful info guys.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
Wow, that must be the Eddie Van Halen signature kit, right? ;)
Yes sir. They made the Van Halen Imagestar in 1984 because the 1984 album was such a huge success, I guess. I always thought he was a Ludwig player. But actually Eddie is the one who did the stripes on a red background, huh? (I say this as I finally get your joke) doh!

Here's something cool regarding Alex Van Halen (warning...it's a derail)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/alex-...ou-didnt-know/
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Ian Ballard's Avatar
Ian Ballard Ian Ballard is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 734
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Yes sir. They made the Van Halen Imagestar in 1984 because the 1984 album was such a huge success, I guess. I always thought he was a Ludwig player. But actually Eddie is the one who did the stripes on a red background, huh? (I say this as I finally get your joke) doh!

Here's something cool regarding Alex Van Halen (warning...it's a derail)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/alex-...ou-didnt-know/
Yeah, I knew all that stuff. I'm a HUGE Van Halen fan from WAAAAY back. Yes, I even bought the much maligned Van Halen III record with the dude from Extreme singing and yes, I like it. The new record's MATERIAL is good and rocks but the mix (or mastering) is so bad I can't believe it made it to the shelves. The mix is so loud and thick, Alex is buried behind a wall of Eddie's distortion and his kid's bass is too loud which is weird because Michael Anthony was always too low in the mix. Hey.... at least David Lee Roth is back.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

I really don't give a rats ,.if you don't believe if I've ever seen/owned/played/looked at or otherwise have even been the same room with one of those drums.


Its clear you have no experience with the drum in question STEVE B, but its not clear as to why you're trying to defend your armchair observation of the construction of the said drum.

Here's the best example of the drum in question we have. Unless someone on the forum here who has one can post some detailed pics for STEVE B, this is it for the non-believers. If anyone would care to question the seller we might also get some factual proof there. I know the drum is coated on the inside and it has a seam altho well finished/hidden, I don't need convincing.


Let's just argee to disargee and leave it at that.And lets do it without calling my credibility and honesty into question,because you're upset..

Very funny Steve B. Why would you suggest that Im upset? Your credibility/honesty isn't in question w/me, TAMA'S the one who advertised the drum as seamless.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Very funny Steve B. Why would you suggest that Im upset?
Your posts are taking an increasingly aggressive tone. Try reading them back once in a while.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,426
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Yes sir. They made the Van Halen Imagestar in 1984 because the 1984 album was such a huge success, I guess. I always thought he was a Ludwig player. But actually Eddie is the one who did the stripes on a red background, huh? (I say this as I finally get your joke) doh!

Here's something cool regarding Alex Van Halen (warning...it's a derail)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/alex-...ou-didnt-know/
Whomever wrote that, clearly isn't a drummer. Or doesn't understand the concept of double bass (see #2).

And yes, the Imagestar was Van Halen inspired, but I don't think it it had any actual connection to Van Halen. Alex has always been a Ludwig endorser. Eddie played Krammer at the time, which had no ties to Tama.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I really don't give a rats ,.if you don't believe if I've ever seen/owned/played/looked at or otherwise have even been the same room with one of those drums.


Its clear you have no experience with the drum in question STEVE B, but its not clear as to why you're trying to defend your armchair observation of the construction of the said drum.

Here's the best example of the drum in question we have. Unless someone on the forum here who has one can post some detailed pics for STEVE B, this is it for the non-believers. If anyone would care to question the seller we might also get some factual proof there. I know the drum is coated on the inside and it has a seam altho well finished/hidden, I don't need convincing.


Let's just argee to disargee and leave it at that.And lets do it without calling my credibility and honesty into question,because you're upset..

Very funny Steve B. Why would you suggest that Im upset? Your credibility/honesty isn't in question w/me, TAMA'S the one who advertised the drum as seamless.
The only thing clear is you lack of understanding of bacic metal finishing techniques,and your lack of self control when engauged in a simple disagreement.

I ,unlike you actually walked the walk.Before my law enforcement career,I was a journeyman machineist,so I CLEARLY do,have more than a basic understanding of of metal finishing techniques.

It's been obvious for some time that you resort to calling someone who dosen't agree with you of dishonesty or perpetrating a ruse of some sort.

You never seem to agree with anything I say or have said in the past,so again let's be a little more mature,than you've been and stop the character assination and name calling ...shall we?

Lets just agree to disagree again, without the degeneration of a typical 15 year old youtube feed back comment, or a high school cafeteria sky is blue pointless argument.

If you and I never "converse" again,that will be fine with me.You need to settle down.

I know I said it before but...this "conversation" is over.So say what you want,since your credibility and honesty is in question,not mine.

Steve B........bye Les,you're on my ignore list
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 PM
JasperGTR JasperGTR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

I had no idea this stuff was so important...

Damn, I just like banging on things.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

The only thing clear is you lack of understanding of bacic metal finishing techniques,and your lack of self control when engauged in a simple disagreement.

I ,unlike you actually walked the walk.Before my law enforcement career,I was a journeyman machineist,so I CLEARLY do,have more than a basic understanding of of metal finishing techniques.



Weather or not someone knows anything about metal finishing has nothing to do with the fact that TAMA sprayed a coating on the insides of their (advertised as seamless) metal snare drums. Im not questioning your knowledge of metal finishing or your background, Im clearly saying you have no experience with the inside of said drum.

I can now safely say from reading your previous posts that you've never even seen said drum in detail, had you, its certain you wouldn't have forgotten the internal coating judging by your previous posts... unless you're dealing with a memory loss issue(?), then I could understand your position.


I don't need to agree/disagree w/you SteveB, its not about you, tho you 'are' in this now, but its not about you, you need to understand Im just stating facts. Im not posting to prove you wrong, Im posting to shed light to the drumming community, said drum is coated on the inside and yes it has a seam despite being advertised as 'seamless'.


"You need to settle down." "So say what you want..."{

I would hope you'd want to encourage openness here, this is a forum and people come here to learn, learn about all things related to drums/drumming and maybe even themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Tama experts-need some help!

Here we go, some more ebay pics, you can get somewhat of a close-up viewing the item(s) (closer than my screen shots below will produce anyway) by going to the items for sale and viewing the pic's.

Spray coating on the inside of TAMA IMPERIALSTAR/KINGBEAT snare drum- vintage. The spray coating is essentially hiding a seam, a seam on a drum TAMA advertised openly as 'seamless'.

My screen shot -1 is from ebay item #: 141035517468 if you use the 'ebay mouse here to zoom in' you'll get decent look. This is not "unpolished chrome" as suggested in earlier posts, its clearly a spray job.

In any/all of the inside shots these ebay sellers are providing, you can see the consistency of the coating and its grey'ish hue.

Again, TAMA did a good job of finishing the seam (making it smooth) so the chrome would hide it, tho on the inside it would've taken them too many man hrs to make it worth it on a $180 (street priced) snare drum, hence the spray and hide job on the inside.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com