DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Choosing a new top end kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysticks View Post
Can you shed a light on why modern factory produced drums are characterless?
I don't think that modern factory produced drums are characterless. It's more to do with them all being good, especially compared to previous decades, & the fact that most ply constructions are very similar.

Quote:
I guess my mind was trying to isolate drums with character, and what made them different to generic sounding kits!
The bearing edge thing I always find confusing, although I find sharp 45 bearing edge drums to be more skin sound. I understand your concept in terms of the whole design working together, surely individual aspects will influence the sound?
Yes, individual aspects do make a difference, but rarely in isolation. For example, augmenting a bearing edge to give greater head contact won't deliver more shell sound if the shell isn't capable of responding to direct input from the head. Similarly, changing layers, wood species, or grain orientation won't make much of a difference if the shell is encumbered by excessive hardware mass or differential masses.

Quote:
A friend earlier told me that drum shells that are formed with tension into the shell, produce the purest sound, what is your opinion on that?
All the best to you mate J
There is some evidence to substantiate that, although I wouldn't say "purest" sound. Shells under tension often do have enhanced resonance properties, but only if the shell construction allows the benefit to translate fully. For example, a 9 ply shell, even with layers under tension, will not resonate much more than a shell with less tension, but it will probably exhibit a raised pitch (depending on grain orientation). By comparison, a steam bent shell will exhibit greater resonance because it's solid form behaves more like wood, & without the restraints of massive glue bond area.

As a side but related note, our new series of drums due out soon, feature a shell construction that maximises tension benefits, & in a way that's never been used for drum construction before. More about that in the coming months.

Last edited by keep it simple; 03-05-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 PM

I hear what you're saying, whether this much deconstruction of drum design will give a desired result is still uncertain to me, as obviously there are the bearing edge, wood type, shell form (stave, solid, ply etc), thickness, and hardware design working holistically. Then the influence of skin, personal tuning and personal touch will also have a huge impact on the final acoustic sound!At the end of the day, it boils down to a sound that is inspiring and musical to your own ears, which is also very subjective to an individual's tastes.
Do you have a showroom with examples of your kits to try Andy?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The bass drum size on my current kit is a big reason to change, it's a 22x20 and I just find it [. . .] a nightmare to transport
Quote:
recording customs (a kit which I've reconsidered recently)
I have an RC kit with a 22x16 Bass Drum and it weighs more than Jupiter; don't know if you know this already, but with all their armour-plating RCs are heavy. Of course, I seem to be a glutton for punishment by lugging it around in a hard case. No doubt the best made and best sounding plywood kit I've ever played - but, you know, FYI . . .