DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: What were you doing at half your age?

I was 26, married for 4 years, a railway engineer by day and a drummer by night, I was in the first band outside the "rock" fashion and style called "Compartiment Fumeurs", a funky/jazzy band with a horn section, great times and memories, lots of fun too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
They just looked to me and assumed if something nefarious happened and I was anywhere nearby, it was me...
... a bit like here Doc, eh?

:)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
...where everyone was at, say, half your current age...
Rocking, man, rocking!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

I was 22 years old and in college. I was studying with a teacher but not really playing out anywhere, just jamming with friends. I was just a few months away from starting a full-time job at the same company I still work at today (!) and about a year away from getting married. A year after that, I had a baby daughter.

I owned the same black, five-piece Tama Swingstar set I owned from the time I was 17 until I bought my new set about 3 years ago. I had long hair and a black book the size of an encyclopedia. I was a lot angrier then, but it took a lot to make me really lose my temper. My big hobby besides music was chess (still is). I was pretty good, roughly USCF Expert strength for those who follow the game at all.

What the f*** happened? Man, it's strange to look back on those days.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Larry, how do the USCF ratings correlate with the FIDE ratings? I'm just asking.

I love Chess but sadly my lack of short-term memory and spatial reasoning (not my fault at all, I have a diagnosis) prevent me from actually being any good at the game when theoretically I ought to be.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_C View Post
More info required... When? Where? Details man! We need 'em !
back in 1991 i was 20 years old skated for Tracker, G&S, Rocket Surfwear... i lived in Northern Cailfornia.

a few pictures
Attached Images

Last edited by Slippy; 02-19-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Larry, how do the USCF ratings correlate with the FIDE ratings? I'm just asking.

I love Chess but sadly my lack of short-term memory and spatial reasoning (not my fault at all, I have a diagnosis) prevent me from actually being any good at the game when theoretically I ought to be.
Duncan,

I haven't paid much attention in recent years, but last I looked, USCF ratings were about 100 points higher at the highest levels. So a 2600 USCF rating would be comparable to a 2500 FIDE rating.

It's a good way to keep the mind sharp and I love playing. But I don't devote time to studying it seriously anymore and my outdated opening theory often proves to be my demise before the game even really gets started.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

20. Newly single. Footloose, fancy free, up for just about anything and shockingly prone to all manner of assorted scallywag behaviour. Working, so I had money to finance said behaviour. And above all....gigging regularly and "livin' the life"

Fast forward 20 years and "working" is all that still applies outta that lot. Mortgage and family responsibilities mean that financing scallywag behaviour and "livin' the life" tends to be reserved for special occasions.....usually when the missus' head is turned the other way. :-)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

At 30.5, I had just recently given up my dream of a music career and started to take normal work seriously.

I worked my ass off during the second half and achieved some degree of success and now I have taken up music again, not as a career but simply for the love of music.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Well, lets do the math: I'm 57 now so half my life would be 28 1/2. That would put me in the middle of 1984. I was two years into working in the semiconductor industry. Had recently purchased my first new car (a pos Ford Tempo) and was getting ready to buy my first house (which had been the boyhood home of Jim Mcmahon).

Drumming-wise, not much happening. I had my Gretsch kit but I was only playing along to tapes and the radio. A year later I took a few lessons and started playing with a couple of guys from work. My twins were three years old, so I didn't have the time to really persue it.

Last edited by lsits; 02-20-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

I was 27. It was 1985. I had just come back from Berklee for a summer program in Music Production and Engineering, but couldn't get arrested because the economic and political situation in my country hit rock bottom that year. The entire media industry was in such bad shape that advertising executives' salaries were being withheld to pay off their expense accounts. I managed to get some freelance media projects, but nothing significant. So I was jobless and living off my parents. There was nowhere else to go but up.

A ray of hope came for me in November that year, as I was invited to teach as a part time lecturer in the state university I graduated from. My career as academic, producer, and musician took off steadily after.

Last edited by makinao; 02-20-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Duncan,

I haven't paid much attention in recent years, but last I looked, USCF ratings were about 100 points higher at the highest levels. So a 2600 USCF rating would be comparable to a 2500 FIDE rating.

It's a good way to keep the mind sharp and I love playing. But I don't devote time to studying it seriously anymore and my outdated opening theory often proves to be my demise before the game even really gets started.
Newer players seem to prefer more aggressive openings than in the past. Or rather, more balanced approaches than the overtly defensive strategies of times past. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but I have loved chess since I was a child. My brother is an outstanding chess player but doesn't play - he prefers bridge for some reason. We used to play against each other all the time as kids and I only ever beat him once.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
scallywag behaviour and "livin' the life" tends to be reserved for special occasions.....usually when the missus' head is turned the other way. :-)
We need to hook up sometime ;)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 AM

Lets break this down further...

At 12.75 years of age, I had just been given an old drum kit for Christmas, Iloved it. I read Motorcycles Magazines if I could afford to buy them, and dream't of drums and bikes, and girls..

At 25.5 years of age I had just moved to London, selling Motorcycles for a living, playing drums evenings and weekends. Drums, Bikes and Women were my major preoccupations in life.

At 51 I have my drums, play and record all the time, I ride my Harley when I have time, I have a beautiful wife of 25 Years and an amazing Daughter.

Inside I am still around 18 years of age, maybe 21, and drums and bikes ( and women, with the restrictions of marriage, mostly.. ) are still my passion.

I am hoping that at 102, things will be similar.......
Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKDRUMMERZERO View Post
Lets break this down further...

At 12.75 years of age, I had just been given an old drum kit for Christmas, Iloved it. I read Motorcycles Magazines if I could afford to buy them, and dream't of drums and bikes, and girls..

At 25.5 years of age I had just moved to London, selling Motorcycles for a living, playing drums evenings and weekends. Drums, Bikes and Women were my major preoccupations in life.

At 51 I have my drums, play and record all the time, I ride my Harley when I have time, I have a beautiful wife of 25 Years and an amazing Daughter.

Inside I am still around 18 years of age, maybe 21, and drums and bikes ( and women, with the restrictions of marriage, mostly.. ) are still my passion.

I am hoping that at 102, things will be similar.......
best reply yet......
Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'd just hung up my sticks forever & walked away from music, almost exactly to the week actually.
Funny, I was on the verge of quitting too. INXS were just starting to get big and they were younger than my band mates and me. I realised that if the Rock Lottery Fairy was going to tap me, it would have happened by then and playing disciplined 80s rock wasn't enjoyable enough to keep me playing.

So I took up home recording for a couple of years until I got invited to join a cover band for a lark. I left that group the minute once they started talking about playing originals and trying to take the band somewhere.

I find it strange how many people assume that the point of playing in a band is "success".
Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post

... a bit like here Doc, eh?

:)
Can't get away from this unfair stigma as a s***disturber. I'm easily one of the most rational and reasonable people on this whole forum, yet I get the troublemaker status. Go figure.

Also, I didn't do it.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Staring at a blank computer screen shouting "Hello . . . ? Aussie Lady . . . ? Famous Dude . . . ? Polite French Fellow . . . ? Anyone . . .? WE NEED SOMEWHERE TO POINT OUT TO EACH OTHER WHY CHOPS ARE BETTER THAN FEEL, MOONGEL IS FOR NAZIS, AND WHICH IS THE BEST KIT FOR A BEGINNER UNDER $500 . . . Is this thing on? Right, that's it - someone get me Tim Berners-Lee . . ."
Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 AM

I was 24, three years into my current job, met my future wife, and recovering from a hand injury.. Bought my first "new" set of drums then too.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I find it strange how many people assume that the point of playing in a band is "success".
I suppose the difference is in what you class as success. For me it's just about keeping playing- I'll leave all of the hero worship and sex and drugs to others better equipped for that type of thing...
Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Gold Member

19- second year of uni. Owned a crappy Pearl Export double bass kit (but thought it was the best kit ever at the time). The interweb was around but I wouldn't see it for another year (this was Australia after all).
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Was 19, had the hottest piece of ass (over manly way of saying really gorgeous 17 year old girlfriend- sweetheart from next door) girl and on my way to college. Lots of banging but no drums in sight...

Waited another 16 years to pick up the sticks and I have to say its one of my only regrets in life. Always wanted to play but just never started. Enjoy what you have young people- make the most of it!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
19- second year of uni. Owned a crappy Pearl Export double bass kit (but thought it was the best kit ever at the time). The interweb was around but I wouldn't see it for another year (this was Australia after all).
I like the play on the Papa Roach song in the background.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Half my life would put me back in 1912. I was one of the few survivors from the Titanic. I actually met Jack and Rose.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

I was just an annoying kid not too motivated on a pdp starter set taking drum lessons. (that is about halfway through my life) now I am a little more motivated but not a whole lot less annoying and still look about four years younger than I am. (that'll be nice it 15 years)
Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

On the road playing the Disco / Funk circuit. Some great memories, I just can't remember them anymore :-)
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

having sex.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

having sex.

Ah, I remember that...
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah, I remember that...
good old days.. when men were men.. and the sheep were nervous.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM

I was 31 (glad there is at least one person replying that's older than me) making the transition from bar bands and original band (yes, one could find gigs where you could play 3 sets of original music) to "casuals" and big bands. Still playing rock along with big band, Octet and smooth jazz. Man, that was a LONG time ago!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I hasten to point out that I'm not Welsh!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

I was 25+, had been dating (my now wife) for a couple of years and finishing up playing in a noise band, "the Drywall Screw" which my dad said was "the worst crap he'd ever heard in his life- it's not even music!" Began intense studies in tabla with Pandit Shashi Nayak and played without a care in the World as my fiance supported me. 4 years later my daughter was born and had a sea change shift in priorities. Still studied, but at a much lower intensity level for another year or two.

-John
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

I was doing about half as much playing as I do now. So I guess that means when I am twice as old as I am now I'll be doing twice as much playing as I do now.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 AM

I was twenty six and into my second year with my first professional dance company, in Eire.
I had met my first wife, who also danced with the company.
Drumming had been left behind. I guess you could say that I'd let one dream go to have another.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I hasten to point out that I'm not Welsh!
Ya, I was wondering about that Camilla Bowles. Baaaaah!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 AM

Was 20 years old and at University in Denver. Had just formed a band that would eventually tour the central western portion of the US. Had a tidy Indian girlfriend and was skiing my butt off between classes, gigs and partying. Damn, what happened?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

I was fourteen-year-old computer geek, tried to play the guitar and wanted to become a programmer. Sadly, all good things must come to an end, and my childhood dreams were shattered when I took up the drums and later started a career in music...

...but I didn't give up on the geekery!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

The sheep are still nervous in New Zealand -)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

I was 26.96 years old, serving in Uncle Sam's Army at Fort Riley, Kansas. Now retired.

Spousal unit of 7 years was brewing our third son, due in May 1987. Still married to first wife; boys are all grown; 5 grand-kids.

Hunting and fishing every weekend possible; not so much any more. Drum set seems to eat my free time.

Wouldn't pick up sticks for 23 more years.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Let's see, I was 25 years old and working a minimum wage job as a shipping/receiving clerk... Ah, the memories - NOT.

I just began dating my future wife and drumming was no where in sight... It would be another 17 years before I grabbed a pair of sticks.

Fast-forward to today and I been playing for 8 years.

Playing the drums is more of a hobby for me than anything else, but it's a very integral part of my life today.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM

Was 18.5 and on hiatus after very intriguing high school years. Anyone?
:p

It was mid-March in 1993 and I almost got myself into deep s..t when buddy of mine robbed a closed store and told me nothing about it, although we were drinking near the store that night! When cops arrived at about 5 AM and asked for IDs, he vanished in to thin air leaving me behind with 2 empty bottles of stolen Vodka! :/
God,it was hopeless situation at the moment but later that day he came at the police station and made a statement that got me out of jail.
He ended up with 'public misbehaving' thanks to the owner of the store who knew his father and dropped charges against him.That opened my eyes and I haven't had any problem with the law ever since. (despite non-stop drinking problem for a years to come)
BTW we're still best friends,both converted! :D
Besides 'the episode' I was doing nothing but partying and chasing girls until the age of 20. Picked up sticks in Y2K and that course changed a lot in my life. It's all good now...