DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 PM

Default The dreaded drumshare.

I am getting rather pissed off at support bands turning up and expecting to use my kit. My standard answer is no, to which I am then the bad guy!
Ever since I allowed one person to use my kit, and causing 80 damage to my new set of heads I have refused. They quickly vacated the premises before I could catch up and demand they pay for the damage. I am not fortunate enough to be endorsed therefore I pay for my equipment. I play a 70's Gretsch USA and keep it as pristine as I possibly can.
Is it just me? Am I being unreasonable here? I wouldn't dare turn up to a gig without my kit, or expecting to use someone elses.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: The dreaded drumshare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spireblade View Post
Is it just me? Am I being unreasonable here?
I don't think so. I wouldn't get mad about it though. If you want to avoid the whole "I'm the bad guy" vibe, just tell someone when they ask that you're playing a borrowed kit and were told not to let anyone else play it. Nothing you can do.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

Your kit, your rules.

The only time it gets annoying is if you don't allow small adjustments to the set up. Such as Snare height.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

That's why you need to have a "road kit" and a "home kit."
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't let anybody I didn't know touch a 1970's Gretsch USA if it was mine.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am getting rather pissed off at support bands turning up and expecting to use my kit. My standard answer is no, to which I am then the bad guy!
Ever since I allowed one person to use my kit, and causing 80 damage to my new set of heads I have refused. They quickly vacated the premises before I could catch up and demand they pay for the damage. I am not fortunate enough to be endorsed therefore I pay for my equipment. I play a 70's Gretsch USA and keep it as pristine as I possibly can.
Is it just me? Am I being unreasonable here? I wouldn't dare turn up to a gig without my kit, or expecting to use someone elses.
Welcome to the forum!
Just turning up, and expecting to use someone else's gear is a new one to me. It's kind of stupid really.
If they show up with no gear, and it's not booked as a "back line" show, I guess they don't play.
I wouldn't feel bad, or let anyone make you feel bad about saying NO and sticking to it.

I mean, I guess then a guitar player shouldn't be upset about someone spilling stuff all over, and into their nice tube amp and blowing it up then either right??....
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Can drumshare work? Sure it can if it's arranged ahead of time.

I'm actually playing a gig tonight where I am using the drummer's kit that comes on after us. We have been in correspondence with each other, and though we have never met in person, this person could not be more accommodating. Saves everyone time.

I'm bringing in my snare, pedal, stool and cymbals - the rest is his. He doesn't know this yet, but I'm showing up when he's scheduled to arrive so I can help him carry his stuff in from his car. Since it's about 8 degrees outside, it's the least I could do.

This is not the first time I've been involved in drumshare gigs. People have used my stuff endlessly and never once have I experienced an issue.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Am I being unreasonable here?.
you are absolutely NOT being unreasonable. nobody touches my drums but me. i've been made to be the bad guy on occasion- i don't care. i had the same exact situation many thousands of years ago. the band's former drummer showed up at a gig, the leader begged me to let him sit in- ONE SONG. i went to the bathroom, i came back to dented heads, and cymbals at all angles. the guy was a Visigoth. never again. you have every right, as do all of us.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
pre-empt it man. if you know you are the headline act get in touch with the support bands and lay down your terms. regardless of if those are terms are yes you can use my shell kit or no you can't, you are being totally reasonable if you give them notice. and being unreasonable if the show is about to start.
having said that, regardless of if i'm supporting or headlining a shared gig i will always bring the kit question up a few days before so that i knoww what is going on.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
There has been countelss entries on this blog for this very same subject. I too am with you. I don't like lending my gear out. Below is a reply I made on this very subject back a couple of years ago. Have a read. It probably sums up the same feelings most have in regrads to lending or sharing their kit or gear at a gig....

From Drummerworld 2009:
Look, we all have choices we make in life. And most everyone if not everyone here on this forum is a drummer. You know when you picked up the instrument, that there were issues regarding the amount of gear that needs to be transported and how long it takes to set it up. If you don't, then check your ears for shit because your heads up your ass. Just because the drums are a cumbersome instrument doesn't in anyway make someone obligated to have to share their equipment. There isn't a responsibility here to provide another musician with your gear. If there is an understanding before hand or if you are one of those who don't mind lending or supplying gear that's your choice and if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, I'm glad it gets you moist. But I think there are more than a few on this post that can attest to having something broken, stolen, missplaced, whatever, after lending their gear to others. Sure, when someone approaches you to borrow your gear they seem very cool at first, and all that, but wait till something gets broken, bent or misaligned and you inquire about it, see what happens then. Try collecting money for damages. Fat chance. Not to mention the time and pain you have to go through getting a replacement. Heaven forbid it is a one of a kind. Sure someone will say "what are you doing bringing one of a kind item to a gig anyway", but I shouldn't have to compromise what I choose to use at a gig because somebody else may think I'm obligated to lend it to them becasue they chose to play the drums and it being such a problem instrument to lug around so I'll just borrow someone elses. I say go pound sand.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the forum! The suggestions here are good, but I have another idea.

You need to look at the "Tom Angles" thread. The drum brands and set-ups there are perfect for this sort of thing. You can find many like them on Craigslist for $50 to $100. It would be worth the investment to leave a set-up like that on stage for bands who don't bring a kit with them. You can use super glue to keep them in that "Tom Angles" set-up. Make sure you have a video cam to tape the results! :)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Sure, I'll share mine...

..if the person puts up a refundable deposit for the total value of equipment and pays a steep rental fee.

I'm not above making money.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM
The Old Hyde

I wouldnt let my drums be played without notice. last weekend we played a gig and all the bands were required to bring their owns drums. no problem. this saturday we are hosting an open mic and my kit is part of the back line so i let people play it. I am bringing my Ludwigs I just restored and am a little nervous this time. I dont want to bring another kit because i personally want to play these drums. Its just me but i wouldnt supply a kit that I wouldnt like to play on.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM
B-squared
This message has been deleted by B-squared.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Here you go. You won't mind leaving this on stage for the next band. A youtube classic is sure to follow.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Once I had a guy say to me "Hey, do you mind if I use your cymbals? All of mine broke." I respectfully declined.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-squared View Post
..."Tom Angles" thread...leave a set-up like that on stage for bands who don't bring a kit with them. You can use super glue to keep them in that "Tom Angles" set-up. Make sure you have a video cam to tape the results! :)
Oh man, I love that idea!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 PM

In my experience, few drummers would share kits if given the choice.
This decision/request seems to commonly originate from the soundman or bar owner.

It's always awkward when the soundman demands you share a kit, and the headliner drummer gets all pissed off because you want to use it. I always let people use my kit, and have suffered some dented heads, but no biggie.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here you go. You won't mind leaving this on stage for the next band. A youtube classic is sure to follow.
Hey that's decent lacquer job there, eh? Not bad :)

I'm too much of a nice a guy and I would probably trust someone to play my kit. Once I let a kid half my age play my 1960s Ludwigs but only because he seemed like a nice person. He was respectful adn treated them well. Actually kinda cool hearing what a kid could do with them. I see your point though and agree.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Let me put it this way.

If you played a Grand Piano, you wouldn't expect to have to cart your Piano from home every time you wanted to play. One would be provided.

I put drums in the same bracket. I fully expect to share my kit and borrow other peoples' kits at gigs. In fact, the next gig I play will have just this situation (I'm borrowing) but it's been discussed three weeks in advance, with the caveat that I bring what I need, i.e. things that could be broken and on the understanding that any damage will be paid for. I'm fine with that. I've leant my own kit out on a number of occasions and the rules are very clear - I let the promoter know in advance what my rules are on the understanding that if there are any issues, he or she can get in touch with the band.

I'm not sure why it's such a big issue for so many people. If you're complaining about borrowing someone elses' kit, or lending your own out, I have to question just how many gigs you've done in your time behind the kit. I'm not sure about the USA but in the UK it's absolutely the norm. Small stages, limited time and limited patience from sound engineers to sound check multiple kits. It's unnecessary hassle for everyone. If you are really anal about your setup just learn to $%#^ing play and it won't be an issue. Take all your 'personal' items (snare, cymbals, sticks, pedals), adjust what you can and if necessary strip back your arrangements if you can't play every note.

The important thing is to be flexible but have defined boundaries. I'm happy to play most kits (and I've played all sorts, believe me) and I respect the rules. If somebody uses my kit, I expect the same basic courtesy and make it clear on first contact. Negotiation isn't hard unless you have some real issues.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 PM

Thankyou for your replies, each and every one taken on board.

Most of the time we don't even know that there will be a support band until we get to the gig, they are few and far between. The only people I let touch my gear are people I know well. I shall stick to my guns and respectfully decline a request, without being an arse about it. Most seem to agree with me when I give my reasons.

Once again, thanks for welcoming me to the forum

Wayne
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Not knowing there's a support band is really the crux of the issue here. It's all about communication.

In every situation I've ever played in (and I've played some real dives), I've had at least a few days to negotiate with the other band about things like kit-sharing. Once you've spoken to somebody and made that verbal connection, then they are much less inclined to trash your gear - especially when they know you can get straight back in touch with them.

Whereabouts are you in the UK? I though that my area would be the real dearth of any communication (SE London) but apparently not!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can't blame you. If I know the drummer personally and know they will treat someone else's set with due care and respect, I don't mind letting them play. If it's someone I've never met, I wouldn't do it. If they try to make you out to be the bad guy, that validates your position that you really need to know them better. I decent person would simply say "I fully understand, no problem." A decent person would buy you a beer, latte or bring a pair of sticks as a gift.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The only problem is that another drummer would surely twist the drums right in their mounts, without loosening anything, to get them into a preferred position. Never underestimate the carelessness of others.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

No...a thousand times....NO.I don't really care about being the bad guy.If someone shows up at a gig expecting to play my drums,the'll be dissapointed.

Steve B
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Renegade

It depends on the genre, doesn't it? I have no qualms about letting people use my kit but the one thing most of us dread is having someone on their kit who plays like this (and with less control) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeYUQqDhL9E
Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 AM

This whole thread kinda shocked me as sharing the kit is a common practice here in NE Ohio (US). I've never asked or been asked about sharing. If you're the opener, bring your snare, cymbals and pedal.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

I never thought about the heads. He must've been a great drummer to cause that much damage. I prefer that people bring their own cymbals. i don't like playing other people's cymbals. That's for sure, because if I break one for who knows what reason, I would have to replace it asap. I can't afford it, and I'd prefer not having to go through the whole process if another drummer broke mine.

I leave my drums at the studio, and luckily it doesn't get played much by anyone but me because there is also a nice Starclassic in that room too, which I also played for awhile with no incident. So far, no damage to my kit or the other one. I'll keep my fingers crossed because for the next 3 nights we're having NAMM Jam at the studio. Who knows who is going to be there banging on my cymbals...and heads.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
Once I had a guy say to me "Hey, do you mind if I use your cymbals? All of mine broke." I respectfully declined.
Hah! Reminds me of a gig played. My band was first, great set, we were all torn town and packed up and the drummer for the headliner asks if he can use my crash. I told him "That depends, are you a hard hitter?" He just gave me a defeated look and turned and walked away.

I have shared kits with friends before although I really wouldn't be comfortable letting someone use my kit if I'd never met them or spoken with them.

With all of my friends that play drums though I have no problem about lending them gear for weeks if they needed it. I let one friend use my heavy snare for a gig once and he forgot to return it to me after the gig, no big deal told him to leave it with another friend that lived close to me. A week or two later when I got it back he was happily telling me about how great it sounded on their album. I have several snares so I was happy to help a friend out.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

I have shared out my kit and shared in with others. I'm not crazy about either, but with adequate communication and a bit of a talk, it's normally okay. But then, you need to have a little spider-sense and it depends on venue, crowd, and genre. I don't think I'd let that Mars Volta fella on my set, for example...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
It depends on the genre, doesn't it? I have no qualms about letting people use my kit but the one thing most of us dread is having someone on their kit who plays like this (and with less control) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeYUQqDhL9E
Great point...........
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I'm not sure why it's such a big issue for so many people. If you're complaining about borrowing someone elses' kit, or lending your own out, I have to question just how many gigs you've done in your time behind the kit. I'm not sure about the USA but in the UK it's absolutely the norm. Small stages, limited time and limited patience from sound engineers to sound check multiple kits. It's unnecessary hassle for everyone. If you are really anal about your setup just learn to $%#^ing play and it won't be an issue. Take all your 'personal' items (snare, cymbals, sticks, pedals), adjust what you can and if necessary strip back your arrangements if you can't play every note.

The important thing is to be flexible but have defined boundaries. I'm happy to play most kits (and I've played all sorts, believe me) and I respect the rules. If somebody uses my kit, I expect the same basic courtesy and make it clear on first contact. Negotiation isn't hard unless you have some real issues.
I was thinking the same thing. Kit sharing happens ALL the time. I don't think I've ever said no. I love to be able hear my kit from out front. Only once did I have hand motion another drummer to take it easy on my crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
A perfect example of cymbals that sound bad because they can't give any more and a choked snare. I have no idea why people think this kind of playing sounds good.

Tonight I will have a nightmare that I accidently lent Dave Elitch my Ks.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 PM

I have only loaned out my good kit once, and that was to a much more experianced and more controled drummer than myself. It was nice to get o really hear my kit and my tuning. He asked if he could retune it after feeling how loose the kick beater head was (18x20 and I tune it a little low, so its a bit loose feeling) and he hadn't heard it since there were two sets between ours. After he sat down to check the tuning he ended up leaving it (which made my day, I spent two days tuning my kit for that gig :P).

That said, around here, there are a lot of drummers that I would never let touch my kit. I am still trying to figure out how one breaks a cymbal (I have broken one, and it was cracked when I bought it, for cheep). The only thing I have done is decimate a few snare heads, but I had picked up a stack of kevlar heads for cheep when I was starting and I used those for a long time, so when I tried switching back to a regular head (before gettin the hang of dynamics control) it was unplayable in about 2 hours :P
Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Hmmm, i've been playing in NYC lately which means that i've been playing house kits. Ie no one brings there own kit and you work with what the club provides. If asked to let people play my kit i usually will charge rent for the use of the kit (last time i did that i got 40 up front and 60 afterwards) so any normal damage is prettymuch covered. I understand the impulse to not let others touch your equipment but i tend not to care all that much. As someone else said I like that chance to hear my kit from the other side of things. Mind you my kits didnt cost me that much though the 70's Ludwig 3-ply is very nice. That one was free. I should really take better care of it.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
A perfect example of cymbals that sound bad because they can't give any more and a choked snare. I have no idea why people think this kind of playing sounds good.

Tonight I will have a nightmare that I accidentally lent Dave Elitch my Ks.
Sorry about the nightmare, Philippe. With luck it might only be Aaron Spears ;-)

Many years ago there was a time when I was worried, seeing a guy on stage pounding my drums in that Rambo-meets-Norman Bates way. It's the only time I ever had deep pockmarks in my heads. He seemed like such a nice guy before the gig but once the music started he turned into Mr Hyde.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I can't blame you. If I know the drummer personally and know they will treat someone else's set with due care and respect, I don't mind letting them play. If it's someone I've never met, I wouldn't do it. If they try to make you out to be the bad guy, that validates your position that you really need to know them better. I decent person would simply say "I fully understand, no problem." A decent person would buy you a beer, latte or bring a pair of sticks as a gift.
This ^^^^ ...

I did share my kit(s) on a few occasions, and I only had some problems once, with a broken splash cymbal.

I also used someone else's kit, and respectfully asked if I could adjust some elements to suit my playing.

Courtesy and respect rules!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Courtesy and respect rules!!!
Positively!

The gig I had last night lent itself to sharing a set for time and convenience sakes (not just mine).

This fine person told me point blank to move and adjust anything I wanted to so I was comfortable. I went out of my way to do as little adjusting - if any - to the person's setup. I played my cymbals where he placed his cymbal stands. I played his mounted tom where he placed it. I did adjust one of the legs on the floor tom slightly. In addition to using my own cymbals, I also used my own snare & stand, bass pedal and stool.

I helped him unload his car in the freezing cold and snow. Why, because he was helping me out as well, he didn't expect the help or me arriving an hour early to help him.

Mutual respect for each other and started the acquaintance off on the right foot. Both of us acted professionally and as a result had a fine experience.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

I say it's one thing if you know the drummer about to play your kit and you've seen him/her play and they have a certain level of respect and understanding of drums but complete stranger that you've never seen play or to see how they care for their own equipment is a huge gamble.

I think I'd feel more comfortable letting a non drummer play my kit than some of the drummers I've seen that kill heads in one show and a habit of breaking cymbals.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

I once had a guy actually bend the metal of the shaft on my bass drum beater. Now I try to say "be gentle" and always have the zbt cymbals for people I don't know to use.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Can drumshare work? Sure it can if it's arranged ahead of time.

I'm actually playing a gig tonight where I am using the drummer's kit that comes on after us. We have been in correspondence with each other, and though we have never met in person, this person could not be more accommodating. Saves everyone time.

I'm bringing in my snare, pedal, stool and cymbals - the rest is his. He doesn't know this yet, but I'm showing up when he's scheduled to arrive so I can help him carry his stuff in from his car. Since it's about 8 degrees outside, it's the least I could do.

This is not the first time I've been involved in drumshare gigs. People have used my stuff endlessly and never once have I experienced an issue.
This describes my last gig to a tee. I was there to help him load in and set up. I even helped tear down. He was very appreciative and accomodating. There was another drummer playing first and I let him use my snare and cymbals so I wouldn't have too much changeover come my turn. But he was nowhere to be found at the end of the night...and he was using two people's gear.

When people use my drums I try to accomodate them as much as possible. But this is usually settled before-hand. I only ask that they use their crashes and snare. As for heads I don't remember having too many problems but in the future I may just slap on some spare slightly used EC2s I have just for the occasion.

What often ends up determining that there will be one kit is LSS. Lazy soundman syndrome ;)
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Once our band showed up at a club to play, and we found out there was an opening act. They were just standing around until one of them asked if their drummer could use my kit. So I set it up. They were still standing around. Then the guy who first talked to me, not the drummer, asked if the drummer could also use my cymbals. I said no. They ended up not playing. I later found out that the drummer did not even bring sticks. This was way before we had emails, text messages, etc. Some people assume too much. Peace and goodwill.