DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Default Tuning Dilemma

Okay, let me start buy saying that I am combining 3 separate beginner kits into one huge beast. I will have (2) 8's, (2) 10's, (3) 12's, (1) 13, (2)14's, (2) 16's, a 20" and 22" kick. I am wanting to tune all of these different. My current setup (8,10,12,14,16,20) sounds pretty good and both heads are tuned the same. Any ideas on all the new toms? I am mainly doing this until I can take all 3 of these kits in and trade them for a good one. 2 Of these kits I have bought for 50 bucks. The "original" kit was given to me. One of the 14's I had to shorten do to a broken bearing edge and still need to get the edge cut. What would you do to tune these all different?

Edit: The 8's and 10's are different depths to their respective "partner".
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Tuning Dilemma

Start with the 16 and tune it as low as it can go. Then tune the next smaller one a but higher etc... when you get to the smallest drum, hopefully it is not super hi pitch.

Or you can do one set of sizes with single heads and the other with double heads.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM

I've always loved setting up these monster kits whenever I'd have the chance. More often than not, I would be overwhlemed; there's so much more to hit I don't know where to start!

Some ideas:

One kit tuned normal, one kit tuned one-two turns above wrinkle on the heads, and one kit tuned UNBELIEVABLY high. Like Max Roach high. And that's his floor tom.

One of the kits bass drum with moderate muffling, one kit with too much muffling, and one kit bass drum like how Keith Carlock tunes/plays his kick...wide open.

You wanna mess around, mess around. No one is judging! You might like what you find out from doing it.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM

Ok, so the build is coming along. The wife seems to get more mad by the day. Here it is so far. Still working on placement, as I am banished to one corner of the room.

http://s160.beta.photobucket.com/use...63f9c.jpg.html