Drums in Gypsy Jazz

oops

Silver Member
Hey,

Got booked to do a gig mid-Feb, playing 'gypsy jazz' with a violinist, guitarist and bass player.

The only music of this type that I've really listened to (and even that's been pretty light) has been Django. And I can't really recall any drums on any of his recordings.

Anyone got any suggestions for:

a) albums/bands that play gypsy jazz with a drummer
b) groove ideas that I should be using

Obviously I can turn up and play what i think will sound good (mainly mimicking the rhythm guitar) but if there's an authentic way to do it I'd love to tap into that!

Ta.

I don't have an audio example for you but I do have one from personal experience. I play once in a while with a wonderful "gypsy Jazz" guitarist named Evan Perri. He has a group on Mack Ave Records called "The Hot Club of Detroit". Great group. When I gig with him it's always in an organ trio format, sometimes with a horn. We still do the Django-styled tunes but with the organ, it sounds less 1920's-1930's and a bit more contemporary. Anyway, Evan likes the drums to pretty much mimic the rhythm guitar, very solid, in the pocket styled jazz. I often use brushes and make sure that the 2&4 is clearly stated. I don't break up the time as musch as I would do with some other jazz groups I play with.

I saw a gypsy jazz band, covering mainly Django Reindhardt songs a few weeks back in Leeds, UK. The drummer just used snare, hi hat and a ride cymbal and a pair of brushes. It didn't sound like vastly complicated stuff, but the drummer really kept it very disciplined throughout the set when it might have been tempting to throw in a few fills.

The band, if you'd like to look them up, are on youtube. Type in 'Ben Lowman's Django Project.'

As for original Django Recordings....on the songs I've heard it does sound like he has a drummer playing very faintly in the background. On some songs it sounds like just the hi hat is being played, on other's a tom....such as on 'Rhythm futur'

Back