DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Default Playing for about ten years, thinking of finally getting a teacher.

So I've been playing since I was in middle school, and I just finished college and got a real job. I'm thinking of finally taking some lessons in my spare time to iron out some things I've felt I was weak in. (Technique, double strokes, some style issues, among other things) Mainly I just want a second opinion on my playing that one of my drunk friends in a bar.

My question is, have any of you went back and taken lessons much later in life? I just turned 23, and am feeling a little anxious about the experience, mainly issues about my playing being "up to par" with my age group. I realize its stupid, but still nags at the back of my mind.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Playing for about ten years, thinking of finally getting a teacher.

Neil Peart, already regarded as a legend in drumming, and worshiped by millions as one of the best drummers on earth, one day decided he wasn't happy and took lessons. And as since taken lessons from more than one teacher.

His inspiration? Steve Smith, another legend who had been taking lessons to improve himself.

And list goes on and on of pro drummers who take lessons all the time to improve themselves.

I've done it myself as well. Even though I had been gone to PIT and had been playing in various bands for years, I went back to a teacher at age 31 to catch up on some skills I felt were slipping because I hadn't been using them in my previous band. And I could certainly use some more lessons now! With two kids, my skills are slipping.

Come to think of it, I think there is another thread on the subject where numerous people discussed going back to take lessons.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Yes, I just started a thread on this a few days ago "No Longer In Denial- I NEED A TEACHER"
Basically, I was in a similar situation as you. At 37 years old, I just finally got to a point to where I need someone to show me (and correct) a few things. I just found a teacher yesterday and will have my first lesson on Thursday. I am very excited about it and look forward to seeing where it takes me.
You really have nothing to loose. Good Luck!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

Do it, you won't regret it.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:01 AM

This makes me feel a whole lot better. Thanks for the positive vibes.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

It's never too late to learn as others have stated. I wish that I had the time and money to get a teacher, I can play but anything requiring any kind of intricate roll or fill leaves me clueless as to how to do it.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 AM

Never too late. I started at age 7-9. Took lessons again around age 14-15, again in my late 20's and most recently around early 40's. The worst part of the early 40's was seeing kids in their early teens who had chops I could only dream of. I wish I had stuck with it at 7-9 and really made it a lifelong pursuit instead of off / on throughout my life. Spiney
Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Wow. 23 and you feel anxious about beginning lessons? I'm 44 and have been taking lessons on and off for years. Usually I'll find a guy I really like and inquire if I can take a lesson. But sometimes just talking to someone about drumming does wonders, I had this experience chatting with Carlos Vega on one occassion and asking Jim Keltner a few things while he was buying sticks at my favorite drum shop.

Like others have said, it's never too late to get with a competent teacher to iron some things out. So I would relax and enjoy the experience, and learn alot of stuff in the process!

Good Luck!