DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Re: The disco beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtube View Post
I may be a little bit older than a lot of you guys, but I must say that I'm none too enamored to hear the slicing, non-stop hi-hat/bass drum dribble grinding a resurgence into techo pop, ala the Lady Gaga scene.

Growing up and playing in the seventies, weaned on the Drum Gods of the era, I was disgusted when disco first reared it's ugly head. The fever first hit the chicks and then of course the guys just followed suit. So, if you can, try to imagine doing four sets a night of that crap. I played for years honing my skills...for that!

I'm sure it's a novelty to you yungins, but to me; I was glad to see it go and I hope it NEVER comes back.

Wow! Am I bitter? Sorry I just had to say that...

LOL! Yes, you're bitter but in a good way! :) That was a great post.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Any beat that gets the people on the dance floor has real merit in my mind. Drumming can be whatever you make of it. If it is your goal to push musical boundaries, you can do that. If your goal is to use the drumset to make people want to move, you can do that. If you want to turn the drums from a rhythmic instrument to a melodic one you can do that. If you want to be a chop master, that's an option too.

I'm a pretty simple guy who doesn't want to work TOO hard at the drums. I'm happiest when I can use the drums to make people have a great time. If that means playing a droning rhythm all night, so be it. It doesn't take too much brain power and I just sit back and watch the "show" in front of me. They're happy, I'm happy, we get hired back, life is good.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

how did they get that Big Fluffy disco thump on the bass drum back in the day ?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 PM

I played this beat last weekend while jamming with a friend of mine who plays guitar. He really liked and ate it up completely. What really adds to the beat is open and closing the hi hats ever 4 measures or so. Then even mixing it up by hitting the bass and snare at the same time on 2 and 4. Provides some meat and change to the back beat.